Eating Before Cardio

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.27%

Eating Before Cardio

Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mozwilde View Post
    Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.
    You're going to hear different schools of thought on this, just like you already stated. There's not a clear-cut answer.

I've been a fan of taking some BCAAs and doing 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio upon rising, but it was also low intensity stuff.

Layne Norton has produced or linked multiple articles/studies showing that you burn more when eating normal meals placed around the cardio just as you would a traditional weight-training workout.

The bottom line is there will never be a "this is right and that is wrong" on this subject. Do what you prefer
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.38%

Im a fan of 20 mins SSCV - fasted.

This has worked well for me in the past, and has also worked for alot of people I know.

But it comes down to personal preference. Find what works best for you, as everyone is different and will react differently to each method.
    ANABOLIC DESIGNS REPRESENTATIVE --- PERFORM AND TRANSFORM
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

Weightloss is a function of caloric expenditure vs. caloric intake. Eating before exercise has many benefits, you can delay the onset of fatigue (substrate depletion). Don't get caught up in the intensities.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    You're going to hear different schools of thought on this, just like you already stated. There's not a clear-cut answer.

I've been a fan of taking some BCAAs and doing 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio upon rising, but it was also low intensity stuff.

Layne Norton has produced or linked multiple articles/studies showing that you burn more when eating normal meals placed around the cardio just as you would a traditional weight-training workout.

The bottom line is there will never be a "this is right and that is wrong" on this subject. Do what you prefer
    bullseye. Personally I do low intensity fasted in the morning and sip BCAA's while doing it.
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    bullseye. Personally I do low intensity fasted in the morning and sip BCAA's while doing it.
    this /\

if you eat before cardio you will burn close to zero fat.

eating then cardio will put you in a deficit which will indirectly burn fat, but won't be nearly as effective.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.85%

A lot of it depends on intensity for me. I'm a big fan of fasted cardio when it's steady state and low intensity. If you're going to perform a bunch of high intensity cardio work I wouldn't want to do that first thing in the morning while completely fasted.
  8. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.14%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by mozwilde View Post
    Studies have shown that results are no different re fat loss if cardio is fasted or unfasted, so it really depends on the individual and their personal preferences in what state they train. I have personally trained both ways throughout the years, but feel so much better when I train fasted, and I do ALL my training fasted, with no detrimental effect on my performance.

Plus, WEIGHT loss is easy - all you have to do is primarily manipulate water and carbohydrate intake, so don't concentrate on SCALE WEIGHT because it is IRrelevant, but focus on FAT loss, since BODY COMPOSITION is what is important.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I forget all the details but MrKleen found a study that showed ~10-15 grams of protein about 30 minutes prior to cardio enhanced fat loss/burning. If you are doing it fasted in the AM, that may not be feasible but in that case I say throw down 10 grams of BCAAs and you will get near the same benefit. Rosie knows her stuff though.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37%

You can eat but make sure you give your stomach some time to digest the food before working out.
    MOD EDIT: No advertising in sig, sorry.
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

Quote Originally Posted by oufinny View Post
    I forget all the details but MrKleen found a study that showed ~10-15 grams of protein about 30 minutes prior to cardio enhanced fat loss/burning. If you are doing it fasted in the AM, that may not be feasible but in that case I say throw down 10 grams of BCAAs and you will get near the same benefit. Rosie knows her stuff though.
    I haven't read that study, but I'm going to speculate that it's probably due to a low amount of carbohydrate (if any) and the intensity DURING exercise. However, I bet RQ was not measured during 24 hours of recovery. Net oxidation of fatty acids will be the same.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%

Whatever you feel best about, if you feel better fasted then stick with it..however if not go back to eating before.
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.27%

Thanks for all the advice. I've been doing the fasted cardio and feel good. So I'll see how that goes.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

It is always good to eat before the exercises. That is what my trainer told me and ask me to do.
    Dimitri
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    It is always good to eat before the exercises. That is what my trainer told me and ask me to do.
    Just like any trainer, that advice is only partially correct. I seriously question if any of them know their a** from a hole in the ground.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.68%

I can't prefer to eat before the cardio and eat any thing after the cardio...
    It is better one to have the much energy after the swear comes out from your body and fulfill the
    body nutrition's and requirements...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXE_isOLp5A
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.83%

As someone who cycles for cardio i never eat before or i throw up after, but when i dont cycle and do fasted cardio on the stairmaster, i feel like i get more out of it.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.98%

Quote Originally Posted by tamili View Post
    I can't prefer to eat before the cardio and eat any thing after the cardio...
    It is better one to have the much energy after the swear comes out from your body and fulfill the
    body nutrition's and requirements...
    What ?!?
  19. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%

FACTs :

food signals insulin

insulin inhibits HSL and cAMP.

HSL + cAMP signal fatloss.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  20. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    FACTs :

food signals insulin

insulin inhibits HSL and cAMP.

HSL + cAMP signal fatloss.
    Not everyone is concerned with fatloss. Adrenergic innervation via catecholamine release/outflow increases cAMP-dependent protein kinase activity, decreases plasma insulin concentration, and initiates fatty acid mobilization. This happens from the onset of exercise and increases with intensity and duration. Under normal physiological conditions in healthy individuals, insulin should be at its basal level within an hour of eating prior to exercise.
  21. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

It also has a lot to do with the intensity in terms of eating.
    LISS- do this fasted as it is easy cardio
    HIIT- 2 hours prior, mix all 3 macros together. Sustained release,more performance and therefore more calories burnt and therefore greater fat loss.
    Don't worry touch about HSL and cAMP to much, eat right, sleep to manage cortisol and train hard.

With this being said, we must forget about this fat burning zone business.
    Sugars burn first therefore a glycolytic workout such as HIIT needs to be with food but to reap full benefits, the consumption of more healthy fats instead of complex carbs the better.
    Eat more fats to burn fat...this is better for endurance and will in turn help HIIT workouts.
    LISS is predominantly a slow burn and needs to be done fasted to reap benefits.
    Fat Loss will be most fueled through adequate/proper mix Of nutrition and whatever cardio chosen should be in reflected to regime and food intake

Sorry to hijack this thread. Needed my .02 cents in
    Cheers
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  22. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    It also has a lot to do with the intensity in terms of eating.
    LISS- do this fasted as it is easy cardio
    HIIT- 2 hours prior, mix all 3 macros together. Sustained release,more performance and therefore more calories burnt and therefore greater fat loss.
    Don't worry touch about HSL and cAMP to much, eat right, sleep to manage cortisol and train hard.

With this being said, we must forget about this fat burning zone business.
    Sugars burn first therefore a glycolytic workout such as HIIT needs to be with food but to reap full benefits, the consumption of more healthy fats instead of complex carbs the better.
    Eat more fats to burn fat...this is better for endurance and will in turn help HIIT workouts.
    LISS is predominantly a slow burn and needs to be done fasted to reap benefits.
    Fat Loss will be most fueled through adequate/proper mix Of nutrition and whatever cardio chosen should be in reflected to regime and food intake

Sorry to hijack this thread. Needed my .02 cents in
    Cheers
    I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.
  23. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ

I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.
    I respect your words brother.
    We all have different ways. That's why we are Unique In our genetic code.

Kudos to that
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  24. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ

We all have our opinion and I respect that brother!!! It all comes down to how your body is and responds to the intensity. Why we are all unique.

Kudos to that bro
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  2. Don't think I'm eating enough
    By Pipes in forum Bulking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio