Eating Before Cardio

  1. New Member
    mozwilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    43.27%

    Eating Before Cardio


    Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.

  2. Diamond Member
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,049
    Rep Power
    3128069
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    2.48%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by mozwilde View Post
    Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.
    You're going to hear different schools of thought on this, just like you already stated. There's not a clear-cut answer.

    I've been a fan of taking some BCAAs and doing 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio upon rising, but it was also low intensity stuff.

    Layne Norton has produced or linked multiple articles/studies showing that you burn more when eating normal meals placed around the cardio just as you would a traditional weight-training workout.

    The bottom line is there will never be a "this is right and that is wrong" on this subject. Do what you prefer
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. New Member
    DHumphreys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    200
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    76.38%

    Im a fan of 20 mins SSCV - fasted.

    This has worked well for me in the past, and has also worked for alot of people I know.

    But it comes down to personal preference. Find what works best for you, as everyone is different and will react differently to each method.
    ANABOLIC DESIGNS REPRESENTATIVE --- PERFORM AND TRANSFORM
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    643
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

    Weightloss is a function of caloric expenditure vs. caloric intake. Eating before exercise has many benefits, you can delay the onset of fatigue (substrate depletion). Don't get caught up in the intensities.
  5. Senior Member
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    5919
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    88.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    You're going to hear different schools of thought on this, just like you already stated. There's not a clear-cut answer.

    I've been a fan of taking some BCAAs and doing 20-30 minutes of fasted cardio upon rising, but it was also low intensity stuff.

    Layne Norton has produced or linked multiple articles/studies showing that you burn more when eating normal meals placed around the cardio just as you would a traditional weight-training workout.

    The bottom line is there will never be a "this is right and that is wrong" on this subject. Do what you prefer
    bullseye. Personally I do low intensity fasted in the morning and sip BCAA's while doing it.
  6. Senior Member
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,812
    Rep Power
    2250
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    bullseye. Personally I do low intensity fasted in the morning and sip BCAA's while doing it.
    this /\

    if you eat before cardio you will burn close to zero fat.

    eating then cardio will put you in a deficit which will indirectly burn fat, but won't be nearly as effective.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  7. Advanced Member
    seccsi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Age
    31
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    1032
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    50.85%

    A lot of it depends on intensity for me. I'm a big fan of fasted cardio when it's steady state and low intensity. If you're going to perform a bunch of high intensity cardio work I wouldn't want to do that first thing in the morning while completely fasted.
  8. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,175
    Rep Power
    364604
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    90.14%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mozwilde View Post
    Is it better to eat or not to eat before doing cardio in the morning? Heard that you should not and then I heard you should because it starts up the metabolism. Just want to know what's best for losing weight faster.
    Studies have shown that results are no different re fat loss if cardio is fasted or unfasted, so it really depends on the individual and their personal preferences in what state they train. I have personally trained both ways throughout the years, but feel so much better when I train fasted, and I do ALL my training fasted, with no detrimental effect on my performance.

    Plus, WEIGHT loss is easy - all you have to do is primarily manipulate water and carbohydrate intake, so don't concentrate on SCALE WEIGHT because it is IRrelevant, but focus on FAT loss, since BODY COMPOSITION is what is important.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  9. Elite Member
    oufinny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,947
    Rep Power
    177789
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    60.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I forget all the details but MrKleen found a study that showed ~10-15 grams of protein about 30 minutes prior to cardio enhanced fat loss/burning. If you are doing it fasted in the AM, that may not be feasible but in that case I say throw down 10 grams of BCAAs and you will get near the same benefit. Rosie knows her stuff though.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  10. New Member
    crystaljonesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    49
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    37%

    You can eat but make sure you give your stomach some time to digest the food before working out.
    MOD EDIT: No advertising in sig, sorry.
  11. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    643
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by oufinny View Post
    I forget all the details but MrKleen found a study that showed ~10-15 grams of protein about 30 minutes prior to cardio enhanced fat loss/burning. If you are doing it fasted in the AM, that may not be feasible but in that case I say throw down 10 grams of BCAAs and you will get near the same benefit. Rosie knows her stuff though.
    I haven't read that study, but I'm going to speculate that it's probably due to a low amount of carbohydrate (if any) and the intensity DURING exercise. However, I bet RQ was not measured during 24 hours of recovery. Net oxidation of fatty acids will be the same.
  12. New Member
    Curlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    44.67%

    Whatever you feel best about, if you feel better fasted then stick with it..however if not go back to eating before.
  13. New Member
    mozwilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    73
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    43.27%

    Thanks for all the advice. I've been doing the fasted cardio and feel good. So I'll see how that goes.
  14. New Member
    Dimitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    43
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

    It is always good to eat before the exercises. That is what my trainer told me and ask me to do.
    Dimitri
  15. Elite Member
    oufinny's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,947
    Rep Power
    177789
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    60.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    It is always good to eat before the exercises. That is what my trainer told me and ask me to do.
    Just like any trainer, that advice is only partially correct. I seriously question if any of them know their a** from a hole in the ground.
    If my direct and cynical approach bothers you, just ignore it. I'm just saying what you need to hear ;).
  16. New Member
    tamili's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    43
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    24.68%

    I can't prefer to eat before the cardio and eat any thing after the cardio...
    It is better one to have the much energy after the swear comes out from your body and fulfill the
    body nutrition's and requirements...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXE_isOLp5A
  17. New Member
    WKUanimal's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    91
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    99.83%

    As someone who cycles for cardio i never eat before or i throw up after, but when i dont cycle and do fasted cardio on the stairmaster, i feel like i get more out of it.
  18. New Member
    scherbs's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    279
    Rep Power
    58849
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    76.98%

    Quote Originally Posted by tamili View Post
    I can't prefer to eat before the cardio and eat any thing after the cardio...
    It is better one to have the much energy after the swear comes out from your body and fulfill the
    body nutrition's and requirements...
    What ?!?
  19. Senior Member
    soontobbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,812
    Rep Power
    2250
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    31.16%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    FACTs :

    food signals insulin

    insulin inhibits HSL and cAMP.

    HSL + cAMP signal fatloss.
    For me, the action IS the juice.
  20. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    643
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by soontobbeast View Post
    FACTs :

    food signals insulin

    insulin inhibits HSL and cAMP.

    HSL + cAMP signal fatloss.
    Not everyone is concerned with fatloss. Adrenergic innervation via catecholamine release/outflow increases cAMP-dependent protein kinase activity, decreases plasma insulin concentration, and initiates fatty acid mobilization. This happens from the onset of exercise and increases with intensity and duration. Under normal physiological conditions in healthy individuals, insulin should be at its basal level within an hour of eating prior to exercise.
  21. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    EBF_2356's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,124
    Rep Power
    2131649
    Level
    71
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    It also has a lot to do with the intensity in terms of eating.
    LISS- do this fasted as it is easy cardio
    HIIT- 2 hours prior, mix all 3 macros together. Sustained release,more performance and therefore more calories burnt and therefore greater fat loss.
    Don't worry touch about HSL and cAMP to much, eat right, sleep to manage cortisol and train hard.

    With this being said, we must forget about this fat burning zone business.
    Sugars burn first therefore a glycolytic workout such as HIIT needs to be with food but to reap full benefits, the consumption of more healthy fats instead of complex carbs the better.
    Eat more fats to burn fat...this is better for endurance and will in turn help HIIT workouts.
    LISS is predominantly a slow burn and needs to be done fasted to reap benefits.
    Fat Loss will be most fueled through adequate/proper mix Of nutrition and whatever cardio chosen should be in reflected to regime and food intake

    Sorry to hijack this thread. Needed my .02 cents in
    Cheers
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  22. Advanced Member
    russy_russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    643
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    57.42%

    Quote Originally Posted by runner_79 View Post
    It also has a lot to do with the intensity in terms of eating.
    LISS- do this fasted as it is easy cardio
    HIIT- 2 hours prior, mix all 3 macros together. Sustained release,more performance and therefore more calories burnt and therefore greater fat loss.
    Don't worry touch about HSL and cAMP to much, eat right, sleep to manage cortisol and train hard.

    With this being said, we must forget about this fat burning zone business.
    Sugars burn first therefore a glycolytic workout such as HIIT needs to be with food but to reap full benefits, the consumption of more healthy fats instead of complex carbs the better.
    Eat more fats to burn fat...this is better for endurance and will in turn help HIIT workouts.
    LISS is predominantly a slow burn and needs to be done fasted to reap benefits.
    Fat Loss will be most fueled through adequate/proper mix Of nutrition and whatever cardio chosen should be in reflected to regime and food intake

    Sorry to hijack this thread. Needed my .02 cents in
    Cheers
    I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.
  23. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    EBF_2356's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,124
    Rep Power
    2131649
    Level
    71
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ

    I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.
    I respect your words brother.
    We all have different ways. That's why we are Unique In our genetic code.

    Kudos to that
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  24. Enhanced Body Formulations REP
    EBF_2356's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7,124
    Rep Power
    2131649
    Level
    71
    Lv. Percent
    31.51%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ

    I disagree. Low intensity steady state exercise work matched to high intensity will elicit similar net fatty acid oxidation results when compared to high intensity.
    We all have our opinion and I respect that brother!!! It all comes down to how your body is and responds to the intensity. Why we are all unique.

    Kudos to that bro
    ...::: EBF REP :::...
    Recompadrol-AAv2-Metabolic Pow(d)er
    THE FUTURE OF LEAN
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  2. Don't think I'm eating enough
    By Pipes in forum Bulking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
  3. Interval Cardio & Steady State Cardio
    By baz350 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
  5. Eating!
    By dg806 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2002, 06:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in