protein shakes: milk or water

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
bought some protein cuz i havent been gettin enough during the day cuz im always full after my 3rd meal. been cutting for the past 7 months and went from size 38 waist to 32 now. would it be bad to mix my shakes with milk? i mean id be gettin an extra 15-20g protein with the milk mixed, also would throwin 2tbsp of peanut better be a bad idea? i do cardio everyday for 30min minimum and lift 5days/week. my goal is to just keep slimmin down while retaining muscle

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
milk = sugar. gross i go water

pansori

Awards
bought some protein cuz i havent been gettin enough during the day cuz im always full after my 3rd meal. been cutting for the past 7 months and went from size 38 waist to 32 now. would it be bad to mix my shakes with milk? i mean id be gettin an extra 15-20g protein with the milk mixed, also would throwin 2tbsp of peanut better be a bad idea? i do cardio everyday for 30min minimum and lift 5days/week. my goal is to just keep slimmin down while retaining muscle
Milk is full of sugar. Granted lactose sugars are lower GI than say table sugar, still, i would avoid it. Especially when mixing it with all the fat in the PB... A greally great alternative to milk in shakes is unsweetened vanilla almond milk...

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always use water. Milk, maybe once in a blue moon just to see how a certain flavor tastes with it. Water is always the better choice though.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Since you're trying to slim down, use water. While I'm dieting, I only use water but while bulking, I use skim milk. The extra calories does a body good.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
did water today. its ok but just aint the same lol

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
I use to always use skim milk all the time but for a while I've been using water now and now it's the only thing I use!

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
i think i shoulda gone with with choco-latte, the ice cream sandwich flavor i got would only be good with milk. ill do milk when i jump on my halo cycle next month

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
i always use water.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Water although protein shakes certainly taste better with milk. If you were bulking it might be close. You aren't...it has to be water.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Water only. Finding a protein that tastes good in water helps. Banana myofusion in water is simply delicious.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
this sucks lol just gonna down it without thinkin. im gonna try 90% water 10% milk, the milk just makes it into a real shake

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I use water on cuts and switch to milk on bulks.

thepallet

Awards
definitely go water, it also means that its more convenient and can have it whenever, if you cant handle it get some some skim milk powder that is low in sugar, that way you can adjust the strength to suit and get the perfect calories. (also tastes like normal milk)

as for the penut butter it is very high in calories although most is from good fats that the body needs even when dieting. decide were your getting your other fats fromand you may find that adding penut butter may be beneficial to your diet (make sure its natural PB, no added suger).

i add penut butter to my diet because it suppresses hunger, but that dosent seem to be a problem for you.

good luck.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
40 calories
Healthy fats (3grams)
Trivial carbs.
All the taste, none of the BS ;)

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
this sounds right^

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
40 calories
Healthy fats (3grams)
Trivial carbs.
Real good. Ive tried chocolate almond milk, it's thick but good and also chocolate protein powder with coconut milk also money! Lately I've been using ON cake batter with hot water and cinnamon also good haha. Apparently cinnamon helps the body with assimilating carbohydrates and balancing insulin levels. I guess I've done a bit of experimentation. Oh one more I like on a carb load is a half cups of quick oats uncooked to 2 scoops of protein mixed with h2o. I let it sit for a few mins the oats get soft and you can drink it down. It's really the only way I can do oats. I hate eating them...the texture sucks.

YouSeeMe

Awards
Depending on what your goals are. I drink them with water post workout and any other time Ill usually drink them with milk.

crystaljonesy

crystaljonesy

Awards
Water for me. Much healthier.

dacowboy76

Awards
try Hood Calorie Countdown low carb 2% milk...only 3 grams of sugar

colange2

Awards
I just recently started using coconut milk (unsweetened) for my shakes, and the taste is fantastic...so much better than almond milk...If you can get your hands on some of that (Silk has an unsweetened version at A&P) I would definitely try it.

Michealleo

Awards
i've noticed that most of peoples using water . can i get to know why not milk ? there's some problem if we make one with some milk or it's unhealthy way ? any way idea of peanut butter is Good for more protiens . best of luck

ChrisSurf

Awards
Milk all the way, protein powder in water taste nasty and weird as heck. Bulking, non-bulking, milk for me. Good cals, good fats, good carbs, and awsome taste lol. I only drink whole milk or chocolate milk, chocolate milk with truscience cocoa protein is out of this world. I also always throw in half a frozen banana and two spoons of skippy's natural honey pb.

baitslinger

baitslinger

Awards
Milk is full of sugar. Granted lactose sugars are lower GI than say table sugar, still, i would avoid it. Especially when mixing it with all the fat in the PB... A greally great alternative to milk in shakes is unsweetened vanilla almond milk...

^ This. Almond Milk, unsweetened. I will also pour in 4 - 8 oz of liquid eggwhites. May sound gross, but that damn almond milk / egg white / pro powder combo actually tastes pretty good. No sugar and for most people, it digests a whole lot better. No gas mang.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
I might be in the minority here but I think that it’s a personal preference. I am an endomorph (larger body type) and I prefer to use low-fat milk in my late night shakes, particularly when I am running low on casein (which milk is an excellent source of). When you’re cutting, dieting, or what have you, your body could possibly be lacking in some nutrients. Milk is one of the most nutrient dense sources of food out there and can help to curtail any dietary induced nutrient deficiencies (obviously within reason). The sugar in milk, lactase, is also different than your garden variety sugar, and as such possesses a lower GI index rating, and as such isn't as bad for you. Just my thoughts.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Dude, if your cutting you dont want milk. Period. Its all lactose and disaccharide sugars which are menacing. I use water always, even in a bulk. Then again I just dont consume dairy.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Water for me. I don't need those extra cals, not to mention I'm not a huge fan of cow juice. I will mix with chocolate almond milk every once in a while if I'm feeling froggy...good stuff.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ditto ;)

Dude, if your cutting you dont want milk. Period. Its all lactose and disaccharide sugars which are menacing. I use water always, even in a bulk. Then again I just dont consume dairy.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards

^ This. Almond Milk, unsweetened. I will also pour in 4 - 8 oz of liquid eggwhites. May sound gross, but that damn almond milk / egg white / pro powder combo actually tastes pretty good. No sugar and for most people, it digests a whole lot better. No gas mang.
That's what I use, almond milk has far less protein, but the rest of the shake makes up for it. You get the great taste of milk with nutritional intake closer to water.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Coconut milk or almond milk tastes good. Majority of the time I use water. There's only a few stores that only carry the safe milk anyway (wholefoods, walmart etc) They only carry hormone free milk.

Devilsblood

Awards
if your really crucial on calories id say water would work best

chrisrob05

chrisrob05

Awards
Milk when home, water when I'm out in public. Water would always be better for cutting.

Agent86

Awards
While I'm cutting I will use unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk with unsweetened plain whey. When I'm bulking up I will use those in addition to some unpasteurized goat milk straight from the farm (post workout only though, and will add some Ovaltine with unsweetened whey)

IronHead1985

Awards
I've been using milk for a while now for my morning breakfast shakes.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
Milk for me. Hell, my protein shakes are two scoops of "Max Protein", two eggs, and about 8 to 10 ounces of WHOLE Milk. Yep.

And I drink two of those a day.

Not only that ... but I usually have another 8 ounce glass at some time during the day. Milk, Eggs, and Steak ... MMMMmmmm. I love that stuff.

I have a "six pack" too - it's nothing to brag about. I could prolly rip up a lot by ditching the milk ... but man, my muscles just grooooooow on Milk.

I loves me some MILK!

Maybe that's why I love women with D-Cups? :p

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
While I'm cutting I will use unsweetened coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk with unsweetened plain whey. When I'm bulking up I will use those in addition to some unpasteurized goat milk straight from the farm (post workout only though, and will add some Ovaltine with unsweetened whey)
[video=youtube;t_SuywOociY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SuywOociY[/video]

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Unsweetened Almond Milk FTW

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
40 calories
Healthy fats (3grams)
Trivial carbs.
I agree. This is the only milk I drink now.
Along with coconut.
Unless I can get some of the grass fed/raw stuff from friends.
And there is a totally different taste from normal store bought.

Then again when that supposed human breast milk hits the stores , it might be better all around... lol.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
i've noticed that most of peoples using water . can i get to know why not milk ? there's some problem if we make one with some milk or it's unhealthy way ? any way idea of peanut butter is Good for more protiens . best of luck
Unless you can get organic farm raised milk like from a farmer's market or a free range/grass fed farm, factory processed milk is like factory processed red meat. Additives and all that jazz.

ap0352

ap0352

Awards
My choice with water is Gaspari's Myofusion chocolate. Tastes awesome.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
My choice with water is Gaspari's Myofusion chocolate. Tastes awesome.
Really? I swear I got a bad batch of this stuff. When I mix it, it sticks to the glass everywhere. When's it finally mixes it's really thick and almost like slime. The taste is like fishy root beer with slight hint of chocolate. It is quite possibly the worst protein I've ever had and I will never buy it again...actually it's still in my pantry 3/4 full and probably about a year old. I hear a lot of people say it's awesome, but damn?!

vudoo

Awards
I just use water now. Milk adds too many liquid calories. Plus I don't have to keep my shake cold if I use water. Great for work.
Unsweetened almond milk and vanilla protein tastes soooooooooooooo good though.