How am I gaining weight?!

1. Registered User

Question How am I gaining weight?!

I took about two months off from all training to let nagging injuries heal. During this time, I ate less strict and raised calories quite a bit. I gained a little over ten pounds of fat. About a week and a half ago, I weighed 178.5. At that point I started back on my routine with reduced calories - eating very healthy, cardio twice per day, lifting 4 times per week, even getting cardio on Saturday (taking one complete day off - Sunday). Not only that, I've been taking Alpha T2 and Shift.

How do I weigh 181 this morning? Is it some type of muscle memory thing that's adding a few pounds onto me? Am I holding extra water as a result of my lifting again? What could possibly be going on? I'm struggling and I expected to be a few pounds lighter - not heavier. If I suspected this would happen, I'd have monitored my body fat percentage. I just didn't think I needed to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.

It could be alot of things like you said i think its either 1-2 things 1 its water but 2 since you gained some fat you might os lost some muscle on your off time and now you are starting to rebuild(muscle is denser then fat )muscle.

You also could just be eating to much.Healthy eating or not to much of anything will make you gain.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Hmmmm, hard to say with out having BF% and LBM. It's Possible that you may have stimulated some dormant lean mass, but that seems like quite a jump in that amount of time. What are your macro-nutrient ratios, and how often are you eating? What liquids are you taking in? Any alcohol (that kills me quick). I am not familiar with alpha t2 or shift and how they effect the body. You may not be eating enough to support your metabolism if you are very cal. restricted lifting and doing cardio twice daily, your body may have gone into fat storage mode. I hope this helps. If you can post the things I asked I may be able to help further.

4wk Androhard/Androlean 4wkPCT log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/252210-greens-climb-top.html#post4548443
    •   

4. Registered User

Thanks. I'm hoping it's a mix of water and muscle (probably not muscle). If it's that I'm eating too much, that would really suck because I'm not eating a lot.. I'm in my calorie range to lose weight. Unless I need to eat twigs and berries from now on.
  5. Registered User

I've become so accustomed to what I need to eat that I haven't been counting calories or watching too closely. I've eaten the same exact thing for almost two years now (I weighed 275 beforehand) so I'm really good at knowing what I can eat. I'm not eating high protein because my kidney levels were a little high at a recent blood test. My calories are probably around 1500 - they're at wherever they usually need to be for me to lose weight - and my fat is low. I drink mostly water, carrot juice (one or two cups per day) and grapefruit juice (one cup per day).

I did have a little alcohol on Friday night, a lot on Saturday night and in between on Sunday. On Saturday and Sunday, I restricted my calories due to the fact I knew I'd be doing some drinking.

So that's probably it, huh? 11 days of hard training and eating very light are completely ruined by BASICALLY two nights of drinking (Friday was maybe a couple of light beers). Am I holding water from the alcohol or gaining fat? Probably a mixture of both?

Quote Originally Posted by TurningGreen View Post
    Hmmmm, hard to say with out having BF% and LBM. It's Possible that you may have stimulated some dormant lean mass, but that seems like quite a jump in that amount of time. What are your macro-nutrient ratios, and how often are you eating? What liquids are you taking in? Any alcohol (that kills me quick). I am not familiar with alpha t2 or shift and how they effect the body. You may not be eating enough to support your metabolism if you are very cal. restricted lifting and doing cardio twice daily, your body may have gone into fat storage mode. I hope this helps. If you can post the things I asked I may be able to help further.

6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Alcohol is a wrecking ball on a Cut Cycle. I can see a noticeable difference in my body if I have a good night of drinking, it just effects me that quick. I'd def say that this would be the hold up. Clear out the alcohol and you should have smooth sailing. (it usually takes me a few days to regulate my body after a night of drinking). I wouldnt say that you ruined your eleven days of training, you're just gonna have to put in a few more days of hardwork to see the rewards of those days. Good Luck

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/252210-greens-climb-top.html#post4548443
  7. Registered User

Thanks. Will do.. I don't normally drink three days on the weekend so that probably is my hold-up.. I'll go back to my usual one night and just drink a couple of straight shots on an empty stomach to get the desired affect.

I still hope I have a little water buildup and/or some muscle coming back but that may be wishful thinking. I was down to 162 at one point last year (12% body fat) and I felt great. That's good for me...
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Glad to help. Not drinking is always a task for me, mainly because in my little city here all my friends like to tie one on just about every weekend. For me it always come down to do I want to get hammered, or do I want to get cut. Not to say that I dont drink and I dont enjoy it, but I've definitely cut down (especially on this cut I'm on now...I've had two MGD 64's in the last three weeks) not fun but im getting by haha.

(my current log with progress pics)
  9. Registered User

Yeah, I hear ya. It's been party central for me for awhile now.. I got down to 162 from that 275 and felt GREAT. Then I started taking it a little easy because I wanted to go out more. Before, women saw me behind them and grabbed their children and ran. Now things are very different. So it's very easy for me to want to be on the scene, out and about and involved with everyone. I'm inside all week and once the weekend comes, I'm ready to party.

I hate that I need to be a perfect little person living a boring life to stay in shape (water, twigs and berries) - and that once I go out and live a little - I get fat.

Quote Originally Posted by TurningGreen View Post
    Glad to help. Not drinking is always a task for me, mainly because in my little city here all my friends like to tie one on just about every weekend. For me it always come down to do I want to get hammered, or do I want to get cut. Not to say that I dont drink and I dont enjoy it, but I've definitely cut down (especially on this cut I'm on now...I've had two MGD 64's in the last three weeks) not fun but im getting by haha.

(my current log with progress pics)
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.

This early on, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep monitoring it, though, and adjust cals and macros as it seems necessary. If it still persists, then there's something else acting as the culprit.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  11. Registered User

First there is a difference among gain power, like chubby, or gaining weight as an muscle. Thus you may be receiving a few muscle helps you lose weight.
    http://my.opera.com/ranchocucamongapersonaltrainer/blog/]Personal Trainer Chino Hills
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I would throw the scale away or use it once every two weeks. I used to weigh myself religiously and I've noticed that my scale weight can fluctuate daily as much as 5-7 pounds. It's a really poor measure to use. If you're going to weight yourself I recommend doing it at the same time every day or at the same time every two weeks and just mark it down. I like to do it in the morning just after that first piss. What matters is what you look like in the mirror. Plus you could be adding muscle.

Here's an interesting two articles on the scale:

http://primitivestimulus.com/2011/03/attention-scale-addicts/

http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/06/22/...ddicts-part-2/
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Here's something interesting Zero: When I weighed myself this morning after using the rest room first thing I weighed 185.2 pounds which has been pretty consistent for me this week. I just weighed myself (it's been 8 hours) and I weighed 190 pounds on the nose. How could that be? I went for a morning walk, did an hour long lifting session and my diet so far has been a protein shake, chicken breast, almonds, piece of cheese. Food and water both have a weight. A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds remember. And you SHOULD be drinking like a fish...it will boost your metabolism.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Gaining Weight!!
    By haroldkumar19 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
  2. Need Help gaining weight
    By Rain050 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
  3. I need help gaining weight.
    By Sinr98 in forum Supplements