Post workout ....Sodium?

1. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.35%

Post workout ....Sodium?

I have been researching post workout nutrtion,and some bodybuilders include salt in thier Whey\Creatine\Dextrose\Malto\G rape juice.Im just wondering how many of you guy's include sodium in your post workout drink.I just started doing it, so we will see.......I must note that I use Celtic sea salt as my main salt use.....

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.24%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I'd just assume have adequate sodium intake prior to training and then with your first whole food meal. Add a little (little) sodium bicarbonate to cal/mag/potassium citrate beforehand for buffering and your good to go.
  3. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.35%

This is a reprint of this subject from another forum.....

Why do I need sodium in my PWO shake?
    From the Dextrose, Maltodextrin & Sodium article (see a pattern?):

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier in the article I discussed the sodium/glucose co transport mechanism. This concept falls under the heading of secondary active transport. Primary active transport takes place via a pumping system. You see, each of your cells contain proteins which break down ATP, into ADP + P + Energy, and use the products to power the pump. The Sodium/Potassium Atpase, pumps three sodiums out of the cell, and only two potassiums into it. This makes sodium’s concentration higher on the outside of the cell. Additionally the inside of the cell is more negatively charged then the outside. Sodium is a positively charged ion and attracted to the negative area. It has been pumped against its electrochemical gradient (concentration is greater outside of the cell and more negative). Thus, Na+ (sodium) will now move back into the cell.

There are proteins within a cell membrane, which act to transport glucose. However, the binding site for glucose has a low affinity for it, unless sodium is bound to it. Due to the electrochemical gradient, sodium enters a binding site specific for it on the protein, and when it does so, the protein changes its shape (allosteric reaction), so that sodium can now bind, and be transported into the cell. This is called co transport because two substances are transported into the cell together, and secondary active transport because it takes advantage of the concentration gradient set up by the primary mechanism. By taking in the proper amount of sodium, you increase the concentration gradient outside of the cell, and therefore increase sodiums ability to bind to transport proteins. In doing so you not only increase glucose absorption, but as pointed out, you also further increase water uptake across the lumenal membrane of the intestine as well. {Poster’s note: this has already been calculated for you in the online PWO calculator.}

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary for the lazy types: It transports the nutrients to your cells and you need to replenish what you’ve lost from sweating during a workout.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.16%

Seriously man I wouldnt believe a whole lot that you find on abcbodybuilding.com. Its basically a whole bunch of articles written by people who persecute you for using gear and think too much about stupid things.They are all mindless drones who are all scultped to match the moderators beliefs. If you scroll through their articles, the early ones were awesome. Now its a whole bunch of jargon.They simply lost touch of what bodybuilding should be. Eating, lifting,supplements, sleeping etc.

Compare early titles like:
    Z-Factor II - The Slumber Dynamic*-
    13 Weeks to Hardcore Fat Burning " The Workout "*

to their latest titles:

An Investigation of the Psychophysiological Mechanisms of Sport Injury and Injury Recovery with Discussions in Psychological Perspectives, Behavioral Risk Factors, Psychological Injury Assessment, Psychological Treatments, and Biomedical Issues of Sport Injury

Energetic Transference Occurring in the Biosphere Part I:* Free Energy Manipulation and Enthalpy.

Ive asked a few guys who do competition and they never had even heard of the whole potassium and sodium supplementation.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.16%

Quote Originally Posted by MaDmaN
    This is a reprint of this subject from another forum.....

Why do I need sodium in my PWO shake?
    From the Dextrose, Maltodextrin & Sodium article (see a pattern?):

Quote:

Earlier in the article I discussed the sodium/glucose co transport mechanism. This concept falls under the heading of secondary active transport. Primary active transport takes place via a pumping system. You see, each of your cells contain proteins which break down ATP, into ADP + P + Energy, and use the products to power the pump. The Sodium/Potassium Atpase, pumps three sodiums out of the cell, and only two potassiums into it. This makes sodium’s concentration higher on the outside of the cell. Additionally the inside of the cell is more negatively charged then the outside. Sodium is a positively charged ion and attracted to the negative area. It has been pumped against its electrochemical gradient (concentration is greater outside of the cell and more negative). Thus, Na+ (sodium) will now move back into the cell.

There are proteins within a cell membrane, which act to transport glucose. However, the binding site for glucose has a low affinity for it, unless sodium is bound to it. Due to the electrochemical gradient, sodium enters a binding site specific for it on the protein, and when it does so, the protein changes its shape (allosteric reaction), so that sodium can now bind, and be transported into the cell. This is called co transport because two substances are transported into the cell together, and secondary active transport because it takes advantage of the concentration gradient set up by the primary mechanism. By taking in the proper amount of sodium, you increase the concentration gradient outside of the cell, and therefore increase sodiums ability to bind to transport proteins. In doing so you not only increase glucose absorption, but as pointed out, you also further increase water uptake across the lumenal membrane of the intestine as well. {Poster’s note: this has already been calculated for you in the online PWO calculator.}

Summary for the lazy types: It transports the nutrients to your cells and you need to replenish what you’ve lost from sweating during a workout.
    Oh and by the way to make it even more simple. They basically sumarized what gatorade does. Wow amazing science, I mean it realllly takes a whole article to talk about that
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.35%

Bump...Good info thanx guy's..It appears you could find several hundred varations, and some type of documentation to back it up...Ths is why Bodybuilding and all it entails is fascinating....

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle
    By DarCSA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
  2. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 07:21 AM
  3. Pre/During/Post Workout Nutrition
    By Nelson in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 03:40 AM
  4. even post workout nutrition
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 12:18 PM
  5. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 11:10 PM