The Official Hypothyroidism Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    The Official Hypothyroidism Thread


    Well, first of all, I don't think this necessarily belongs in the "weight loss" section, but I think this is as good of a fit as any of the options. If you're anything like me, this is one of the nastiest things accompanying hypothyroidism.

    I had done some searching in the forums and there are plenty of threads asking about thyroid drugs and screwed up thyroids (a lot of, if not most of, the threads are inquiring about the potential of creating hypothyroidism due to abuse of T3), but not one thread came up specifically on hypothyroidism. The idea to start this thread came to me after Kleen set up his thread on Intermittent Fasting -- something totally unrelated, but a thread that brought together a lot of great minds, experiences and discussion. I'm hoping this will do the same.

    For those who haven't read any posts from me, I'll include a shortened version of my story (feel free to read over / skip this part ).





    I've always had trouble losing weight, but always assumed it was something I wasn't doing right. So, I ran more. Then, when that wasn't doing what I wanted, I researched training and perfected my weight-training. Then, when that wasn't doing it, I researched nutrition for quite some time and really put a lot of time and effort into my diet and seemingly perfected that. All that time, I was able to lose fat, but it was like pulling teeth and it was at really low calories for someone of my age, size and activity level.

    My whole life, I'd been trying to lose weight the entire time I was lifting (so think of the 10 years I was lifting weights, I was simultaneously trying to lose fat; that was the more important goal the entire time). In April / May of last 2010, I got into arguably the best shape of my life and was pretty ripped and cut up at 208 lbs (all natural, too). I went a full month without even one cheat meal during the final push of that (dropping 6.4 lbs and increasing all of my lifts). I treated myself to a splurge day after that and then got back on the horse of a clean diet, though not as strict as that one month was (just normal lifestyle, not like contest prep, but certainly clean).

    I managed to get back up to ~220 lbs in a very short amount of time. I was so frustrated and disappointed; back to square one without even really screwing up. At that point, a friend asked me how long I'd been cutting - when he knew it was that strict for those several months on top of all the years, he said your body probably needs a break and you should try switching it up to bulk for a while. I thought that sounded reasonable and thought, "sure, I'll finally add some nice mass and then get back to cutting."

    In about 6 weeks I'd added 24 lbs. I was only eating about 3,500 cals/day (mostly clean) and working out regularly, to boot. While I added some good size, I also added a LOT of fat. I wanted to turn back after about 2 weeks of this, seeing my waist line grow, but everyone said that you just focus on growing during a bulk and then worry about cutting when you cut. Well, for normal people, I suppose that's fine. I ended up at about 244 lbs and thought to myself how badly I needed to cut, so I got back to it. I even tried my first PH to help with the process (Epi bridged into H-drol) and it didn't help in my venture, either.

    At the start of 2011, I had a hardcore new year cut mapped out and was a few days in before my weight started slowly going up by about a pound every other day with calories ranging from 2,000 to 2,400 while lifting 5 days a week, doing cardio every morning and a 2nd cardio session on my 2 off days.

    I finally said to myself that I can't do anything else to help this. It's clearly something out of my control.

    I had a full hormonal panel done on January 21st. On February 1st I got my results and saw I have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 5.67.





    All this time, I thought I was doing things wrong, but my body was just battling me. All of those years I was busting and busting my back, I could have just addressed my under-active thyroid and who knows where I'd be now.

    Now here's the thing; I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. So, there's a reason my life has taken this path. There's something for me to learn from it and I can tell you that I sure know a ton more about nutrition and training than I ever thought I would. And who knows? Maybe part of this experience was that I could help someone else avoid all of the heartache that I've experienced.

    I was on 50mcg of T4 for 6 weeks, which brought my TSH down to 3.69, but I lost no weight during that time. An endocrinologist has since bumped me up to 112mcg/day. I've been on that for just past 3 weeks now, and haven't noticed anything yet, either, but I'm still hopeful. I'll go in in the beginning of June for more blood work and then a followup appointment with the endo.

    Until then, I'm just doing what I can, working out hard, eating right and doing a lot of praying.







    So, this first post ended up being more about my story than anything else, but I plan on adding a lot of quality information and articles to this and I hope you'll do the same. I'll go back to edit a few posts on some specifics of this.

    Let's hear from all of you who suffer from hypothyroidism just like me. Share your story. Share your thoughts. Share whatever you feel comfortable sharing with the rest of us. Let's make this a support group as well as an area to find a plethora of information.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve

  2. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029
    Last edited by MidwestBeast; 06-14-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Adding links!
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. Registered User
    carpee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,590
    Rep Power
    83740

    i'll be here to learn.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3026

    Seth Roberts book has good information.

    Im surprised the Orals didnt help you as most steroids LOWER TBG and TBPA freeing up t3 in the body.
  5. Registered User
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3026

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Well, first of all, I don't think this necessarily belongs in the "weight loss" section, but I think this is as good of a fit as any of the options. If you're anything like me, this is one of the nastiest things accompanying hypothyroidism.

    I had done some searching in the forums and there are plenty of threads asking about thyroid drugs and screwed up thyroids (a lot of, if not most of, the threads are inquiring about the potential of creating hypothyroidism due to abuse of T3), but not one thread came up specifically on hypothyroidism. The idea to start this thread came to me after Kleen set up his thread on Intermittent Fasting -- something totally unrelated, but a thread that brought together a lot of great minds, experiences and discussion. I'm hoping this will do the same.

    For those who haven't read any posts from me, I'll include a shortened version of my story (feel free to read over / skip this part ).





    I've always had trouble losing weight, but always assumed it was something I wasn't doing right. So, I ran more. Then, when that wasn't doing what I wanted, I researched training and perfected my weight-training. Then, when that wasn't doing it, I researched nutrition for quite some time and really put a lot of time and effort into my diet and seemingly perfected that. All that time, I was able to lose fat, but it was like pulling teeth and it was at really low calories for someone of my age, size and activity level.

    My whole life, I'd been trying to lose weight the entire time I was lifting (so think of the 10 years I was lifting weights, I was simultaneously trying to lose fat; that was the more important goal the entire time). In April / May of last 2010, I got into arguably the best shape of my life and was pretty ripped and cut up at 208 lbs (all natural, too). I went a full month without even one cheat meal during the final push of that (dropping 6.4 lbs and increasing all of my lifts). I treated myself to a splurge day after that and then got back on the horse of a clean diet, though not as strict as that one month was (just normal lifestyle, not like contest prep, but certainly clean).

    I managed to get back up to ~220 lbs in a very short amount of time. I was so frustrated and disappointed; back to square one without even really screwing up. At that point, a friend asked me how long I'd been cutting - when he knew it was that strict for those several months on top of all the years, he said your body probably needs a break and you should try switching it up to bulk for a while. I thought that sounded reasonable and thought, "sure, I'll finally add some nice mass and then get back to cutting."

    In about 6 weeks I'd added 24 lbs. I was only eating about 3,500 cals/day (mostly clean) and working out regularly, to boot. While I added some good size, I also added a LOT of fat. I wanted to turn back after about 2 weeks of this, seeing my waist line grow, but everyone said that you just focus on growing during a bulk and then worry about cutting when you cut. Well, for normal people, I suppose that's fine. I ended up at about 244 lbs and thought to myself how badly I needed to cut, so I got back to it. I even tried my first PH to help with the process (Epi bridged into H-drol) and it didn't help in my venture, either.

    At the start of 2011, I had a hardcore new year cut mapped out and was a few days in before my weight started slowly going up by about a pound every other day with calories ranging from 2,000 to 2,400 while lifting 5 days a week, doing cardio every morning and a 2nd cardio session on my 2 off days.

    I finally said to myself that I can't do anything else to help this. It's clearly something out of my control.

    I had a full hormonal panel done on January 21st. On February 1st I got my results and saw I have hypothyroidism. My TSH was 5.67.





    All this time, I thought I was doing things wrong, but my body was just battling me. All of those years I was busting and busting my back, I could have just addressed my under-active thyroid and who knows where I'd be now.

    Now here's the thing; I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. So, there's a reason my life has taken this path. There's something for me to learn from it and I can tell you that I sure know a ton more about nutrition and training than I ever thought I would. And who knows? Maybe part of this experience was that I could help someone else avoid all of the heartache that I've experienced.

    I was on 50mcg of T4 for 6 weeks, which brought my TSH down to 3.69, but I lost no weight during that time. An endocrinologist has since bumped me up to 112mcg/day. I've been on that for just past 3 weeks now, and haven't noticed anything yet, either, but I'm still hopeful. I'll go in in the beginning of June for more blood work and then a followup appointment with the endo.

    Until then, I'm just doing what I can, working out hard, eating right and doing a lot of praying.







    So, this first post ended up being more about my story than anything else, but I plan on adding a lot of quality information and articles to this and I hope you'll do the same. I'll go back to edit a few posts on some specifics of this.

    Let's hear from all of you who suffer from hypothyroidism just like me. Share your story. Share your thoughts. Share whatever you feel comfortable sharing with the rest of us. Let's make this a support group as well as an area to find a plethora of information.
    Free t3 and free t4 along with TBG test would be nice to see. TSH is a good indicator but you need more numbers. Thyroid is a ridiculously tricky thing to correct. There is so much about it. but if i were you i would look into ARMOUR thyroid (4:1 ratio not 5:1 ratio) and see what they say. It really not available in the states but if you have a script you can order from a canadian pharmacy. Im in the process for my mother right now,.
  6. Registered User
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northeastern United States
    Posts
    15,462
    Rep Power
    4172663

    Hmmm....I have to lower calories pretty significantly to lose fat. Plus I can gain really easily too. 3500 calories is a ton for me. I start gaining around 2300-2500 calories. If I ate 3500 calories I'd look like this,

  7. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136022

    I feel your pain.lol I have the worst metabolism ever. I need to eat 1-1500 calories, plus do a stupid amount of cardio just to sit around 12% bf.
  8. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by carpee View Post
    i'll be here to learn.
    Glad to have you around, bud.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    Seth Roberts book has good information.

    Im surprised the Orals didnt help you as most steroids LOWER TBG and TBPA freeing up t3 in the body.
    I'll have to look into it.

    And I'm surprised they didn't help me, either. I was eating low calories (2,000-2,500 range) while lifting / doing cardio regularly and gaining weight, so I just started running it with it and fought trying to cut at that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    Free t3 and free t4 along with TBG test would be nice to see. TSH is a good indicator but you need more numbers. Thyroid is a ridiculously tricky thing to correct. There is so much about it. but if i were you i would look into ARMOUR thyroid (4:1 ratio not 5:1 ratio) and see what they say. It really not available in the states but if you have a script you can order from a canadian pharmacy. Im in the process for my mother right now,.
    Thanks for the info. I just tossed TSH up there because that's the number I remember in my head; I've had both free T3 and T4 tested, as well. I'll have to double check on TBG. After talking with Matrix a bit and seeing what he's posted, I'd definitely agree that it seems to be very tricky.

    I actually asked my endo who bumped me to 112mcg T4 about a combination of the T3/T4 and he initially dismissed it rather quickly. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, since I'd only worked with a GP prior to him, but 3 weeks in and I've seen no progress and still have crummy energy levels. We'll see what the blood work shows when I get it done early June, and I'll see what his thoughts are on it in our followup consultation.

    I'll likely request that he signs off on having test/estradiol checked in this, as well, since I know insurance covers those tests and he noted that my test levels were lower than they should be (still in normal range, but not optimal) when we met last month.

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Hmmm....I have to lower calories pretty significantly to lose fat. Plus I can gain really easily too. 3500 calories is a ton for me. I start gaining around 2300-2500 calories. If I ate 3500 calories I'd look like this,

    Haha, well 3500 cals is definitely a lot; no doubt about it. And I should have known better; knowing that I can gain at a lower cal intake and done it gradually -- but I didn't.

    That being said, for my size, age and activity level; it shouldn't have to be such a low cal intake to maintain or lose. In college I played full-court basketball 4-5 nights a week for upwards of 3 hours a night (and I was the guy sprinting on fast breaks; granted it was because that's how I got points to beat out guys who were clearly better players than me lol). There's definitely a difference in a slow metabolism and one that just doesn't allow you to lose anything, which is what it has since transitioned into.

    Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    I feel your pain.lol I have the worst metabolism ever. I need to eat 1-1500 calories, plus do a stupid amount of cardio just to sit around 12% bf.
    I wish I was ever at 12% bf lol. But yeah, it's not pleasant to have to live/eat that way at all. I'm not saying I want to eat 5k cal/day to maintain or anything like that; that would just be work lol, but I'd love to be able to not eat like a 9 year old girl to ever make progress cutting.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  9. Board Supporter
    Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,667
    Rep Power
    136022

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post

    I wish I was ever at 12% bf lol. But yeah, it's not pleasant to have to live/eat that way at all. I'm not saying I want to eat 5k cal/day to maintain or anything like that; that would just be work lol, but I'd love to be able to not eat like a 9 year old girl to ever make progress cutting.
    It is retarded, believe me. To get to 12% I need to be eating around 1300 cal, doing 7+ hrs of cardio a week..lol Also it takes a long ass time.

    It is extremely frustrating to be on a strict diet 24/7, 365 just to never get as lean as I would like. It also makes building muscle hard, as I can't eat the cals I would like, without starting to pick up too much fat at which point I bitch out and start to reduce calories again.

    More frustrating to see people give it a half ass attempt, and get shredded..lol

    Last time I had my TSH tested, it came back at 4.xx my Dr said she doesn't treat until 12 or some **** like that.

    I have been self treating with a low dose of t3, after striking out with incompetent Dr's, but will try looking again after the summer. Honestly as far as fatloss goes it hasn't helped much, if at all, so I likely will need a more significant dose.
  10. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by imprezivr6 View Post
    It is retarded, believe me. To get to 12% I need to be eating around 1300 cal, doing 7+ hrs of cardio a week..lol Also it takes a long ass time.

    It is extremely frustrating to be on a strict diet 24/7, 365 just to never get as lean as I would like. It also makes building muscle hard, as I can't eat the cals I would like, without starting to pick up too much fat at which point I bitch out and start to reduce calories again.

    More frustrating to see people give it a half ass attempt, and get shredded..lol

    Last time I had my TSH tested, it came back at 4.xx my Dr said she doesn't treat until 12 or some **** like that.

    I have been self treating with a low dose of t3, after striking out with incompetent Dr's, but will try looking again after the summer. Honestly as far as fatloss goes it hasn't helped much, if at all, so I likely will need a more significant dose.
    Yeah, watching people make small changes and reap huge benefits hurts me a lot lol. But, I always said "you just have to work harder." I get that not everything should be equal and I have to work harder; I'm okay with that, even. But recently it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

    If I were you, I'd definitely find a better endo who will work with you. I feel like the guy I met with will, so that makes me comfortable. Ever since getting past the initial GP (who I'll never go back to), I've had great luck with doctors down here.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  11. Registered User
    jdub1980's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    89

    My doc put me on .75mg synthroid (synthetic t4) after TSH came back at 10.69 and before testing free t3/t4. He now wants to test for free t3/t4, reverse t3 and thryoid antibodies after being on synthroid for 2 months. I asked him if I needed to lay off before these tests to get a more accurate result and he said no. Quit taking synthroid anyway and will have been off of it for 1 month by the time my bloodwork is scheduled on 6/8/11. If levels are low, I will ask for better treatment than synthroid alone. Would like to try to get desiccated thyroid, but if he doesn't go for that I will all but demand to be put on cytomel (synthetic t3) and synthroid together.

    Is anyone else treating hypothyroidism with desiccated thyroid or cytomel/synthroid?
    What about ratio of cytomel/synthroid?
  12. Registered User
    MAxximal's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elysium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,902
    Rep Power
    122079

    Subbed to discuss and learn more about this

    p.s glad Hypno-Toad is not here
    SNS Online Representative
    Maxximal @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

    Got Glycophase ...?


  13. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by MAxximal View Post
    Subbed to discuss and learn more about this

    p.s glad Hypno-Toad is not here
    Glad to have you aboard, Maxx!

    And hypno-toad suffers from hyperthyroidism, so he'd have no fun in this thread
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  14. Registered User
    MAxximal's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elysium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,902
    Rep Power
    122079

    For the people didn`t know what is Hypothyroidism

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001393/
    SNS Online Representative
    Maxximal @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

    Got Glycophase ...?


  15. Registered User
    reacher's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  219 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    42

    Subbed. I just got a TSH of 5.xx and waiting on results from full panel.
  16. Registered User
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3026

    definetly keep bringing up armour thryoid, there are some vitamins and minerals that may be very beneficial, but more then likely if your thyroid is out of wack there are some other hormonal problems.

    log a food diary and try and find missing nutrients and supplement with them.
  17. Registered User
    spimp187's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    103

    This is an interesting thread. What OP is describing is me to a T. I have to get down to 1700 cal. at least to notice any weight loss. And that's when I'm doing no carb. This thread has motivated me to make an appt. with a doc to get tested. I've been doing some research on hypothyroidism and read that it could be related to iodine deficiency. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone have any luck supplementing with iodine/kelp?
  18. Registered User
    ssbackwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    3026

    Quote Originally Posted by spimp187 View Post
    This is an interesting thread. What OP is describing is me to a T. I have to get down to 1700 cal. at least to notice any weight loss. And that's when I'm doing no carb. This thread has motivated me to make an appt. with a doc to get tested. I've been doing some research on hypothyroidism and read that it could be related to iodine deficiency. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone have any luck supplementing with iodine/kelp?
    its possible but there are other things that help with thyroid as well like selenium.

    i would say you may not be iodine defiecient and if you are... are you using flourinated toothpaste?
  19. Registered User
    Whacked's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    5,410
    Rep Power
    481947

    Gonna be a great thread - sub'd
  20. Registered User
    RoadBlocK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,210
    Rep Power
    82447

    I'm sub'd too, but let me add a caveat, anybody self medicating be careful, I have read the thyroid is not something you want to mess up, or it can stay messed up for life, Im just sayin, we see guys all the time run steroids haphazardly, however, the smart ones get blood work and do things as sensibly as possible. Im aware that it is/has been trendy to mess with t3/t4, cytomel, triacana, levo, sythroid, armor, etc, but fooling around with the thyroid should be handled as sensibly as possible. That mys official PSA, carryon.
    PHF Anabolic Trinity Epistane, Trenavar, and Mentabolan - Available Now!!
    Celtic Labs-Trestobol, HaloMass, Celitren, Ostabal and more Available Now!!
    PHF Rep/Celtic labs

  21. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by MAxximal View Post
    For the people didn`t know what is Hypothyroidism

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001393/
    Good post, Maxx.

    You also may want to add in the page you shared with me about thyroid and overall endocrine / metabolism issues - that was a fantastic read.

    Whenever I get back from Hawaii, I'll take and doctor up the initial post and start adding in the informative links and such.

    Quote Originally Posted by reacher View Post
    Subbed. I just got a TSH of 5.xx and waiting on results from full panel.
    Sounds like mine. I hope it turns out well for ya.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    definetly keep bringing up armour thryoid, there are some vitamins and minerals that may be very beneficial, but more then likely if your thyroid is out of wack there are some other hormonal problems.

    log a food diary and try and find missing nutrients and supplement with them.
    Good point on the food diary for sure, as well as the other minerals, vitamins, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by spimp187 View Post
    This is an interesting thread. What OP is describing is me to a T. I have to get down to 1700 cal. at least to notice any weight loss. And that's when I'm doing no carb. This thread has motivated me to make an appt. with a doc to get tested. I've been doing some research on hypothyroidism and read that it could be related to iodine deficiency. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone have any luck supplementing with iodine/kelp?
    I'm glad it's motivated you to make an appointment, man. I wish I would have done that years ago and saved some time and effort.

    Maxx actually shared a great link with me about iodine deficiency and another member talked to me about it, too. I'm a few days in on using NOW's "Thyroid Energy" which only has a minimal amount of iodine in it (along with tyrosine and some other helpful ingredients). While I'm starting my stimulant detox, I thought it would be a great thing to use.

    I did order some iodine, though, per recommendation of another member and I'll probably start adding it in to see if it helps when I get back home from vacation. He said it didn't help him, but it did help his mother lose some weight without making any other changes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbackwards View Post
    its possible but there are other things that help with thyroid as well like selenium.

    i would say you may not be iodine defiecient and if you are... are you using flourinated toothpaste?
    If Maxx doesn't post it up, I'll try to fish through and find the link he gave me - it has a lot of good info on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Gonna be a great thread - sub'd
    Glad you're aboard! I figured it would be a good place for all of us to share information and experiences because it can certainly be a frustrating thing to go through; particularly for us who are trying to build our bodies into things that most people aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBlocK View Post
    I'm sub'd too, but let me add a caveat, anybody self medicating be careful, I have read the thyroid is not something you want to mess up, or it can stay messed up for life, Im just sayin, we see guys all the time run steroids haphazardly, however, the smart ones get blood work and do things as sensibly as possible. Im aware that it is/has been trendy to mess with t3/t4, cytomel, triacana, levo, sythroid, armor, etc, but fooling around with the thyroid should be handled as sensibly as possible. That mys official PSA, carryon.
    Very good point, RoadBlock.

    I'll say right now that my hypothyroidism was something that I've probably always had and wasn't brought on by any type of T3 abuse or anything like that. I certainly agree that messing with these things when you have a functioning thyroid is not a smar thing to do - but for us who already will be on medication the rest of our lives, it makes you a little less hesitant to find things that work.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  22. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Just wanted to give a heads up that I've added some helpful links into Post #2 back on Page 1.

    Shoutouts to Maxx and Makaveli for sending them to me. You guys have been helping me immensely and I hope that in time this thread will be helpful to many others and cut down in the amount of time it takes them to realize there's a problem and how to address it.

    I'll continuously update Post #2 and I'll always add a new post making a note of it.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  23. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Interesting excerpt from the article I just linked in Post #2, today:

    With conditions that cause an increase in serum binding proteins, such as high estrogen states (e.g., pregnancy), oral contraceptive use or postmenopausal estrogen replacement, the dosage of levothyroxine must be increased. In contrast, androgens decrease levels of thyroid binding proteins, necessitating a reduction in the dosage.
    The way I'm reading that, androgens would make the thyroid medication more effective. Now they're just talking about levothyroxine (T4), here, but I wonder if the same is true of T3. If it is, it would lead me to believe that being on any type of androgenic steroid would enhance the T3's properties, which would mean actually needing to use less.

    This isn't anything that matters to me, but food for thought for those who aren't hypo and toy around with T3.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  24. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    5915

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Interesting excerpt from the article I just linked in Post #2, today:



    The way I'm reading that, androgens would make the thyroid medication more effective. Now they're just talking about levothyroxine (T4), here, but I wonder if the same is true of T3. If it is, it would lead me to believe that being on any type of androgenic steroid would enhance the T3's properties, which would mean actually needing to use less.

    This isn't anything that matters to me, but food for thought for those who aren't hypo and toy around with T3.
    interesting read! I never knew that
  25. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    interesting read! I never knew that
    That was the first I've read of it, too.

    And actually, I stumbled upon it when searching "secondary hypothyroidism." You heard of that, Makaveli? Of all things, the first I've heard of it was from my chiropractor yesterday. Not nearly as much information on it out there, but it's my next guess if the reverse T3 thing isn't it. Might be worth looking into for you, too.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  26. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    5915

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    That was the first I've read of it, too.

    And actually, I stumbled upon it when searching "secondary hypothyroidism." You heard of that, Makaveli? Of all things, the first I've heard of it was from my chiropractor yesterday. Not nearly as much information on it out there, but it's my next guess if the reverse T3 thing isn't it. Might be worth looking into for you, too.
    I have. My understanding is that just like primary and secondary hypogonadism, primary is when the thyroid itself is not functioning properly, and the secondary is when something else in the "chain" so to speak such as the hypothalamus or pituitary gland is causing the problem instead.

    I will most certainly keep it in mind if this t3 only does not work (though it seems to be actually be getting noticeably better). Thanks for reminding me of it bro and keeping it fresh in my mind. Might have to go do some sleuthing on it just in case....
  27. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    I have. My understanding is that just like primary and secondary hypogonadism, primary is when the thyroid itself is not functioning properly, and the secondary is when something else in the "chain" so to speak such as the hypothalamus or pituitary gland is causing the problem instead.

    I will most certainly keep it in mind if this t3 only does not work (though it seems to be actually be getting noticeably better). Thanks for reminding me of it bro and keeping it fresh in my mind. Might have to go do some sleuthing on it just in case....
    Yep, nail on the head. Hypothalmus/pituitary axis. Possible testing of TRH and looking at underfunctioning adrenals, too. Always nice to have an ace up the sleeve.

    Glad to hear the T3 is going well for you. I'm so tempted to drop the T4, but I've gone this far that I'm just gonna ride it out til I get the bloodwork back to confirm everything. I'll also hit you back from your PM yesterday, in a bit.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  28. Registered User
    MAxximal's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elysium
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,902
    Rep Power
    122079

    Great Thread
    SNS Online Representative
    Maxximal @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

    Got Glycophase ...?


  29. Registered User
    MakaveliThaDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,781
    Rep Power
    5915

    Thought i'd pop in and update this with a link.

    http://www.pacificwellspring.com/lon...an-will-power/

    This is actually specifically for you beast Read that 2nd article all about reverse t3
  30. Registered User
    MidwestBeast's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SEC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,035
    Rep Power
    3092029

    Quote Originally Posted by MAxximal View Post
    Great Thread
    Thanks, Maxx. And thanks for the handbook, as well. It's certainly on my to-read list.

    Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon View Post
    Thought i'd pop in and update this with a link.

    http://www.pacificwellspring.com/lon...an-will-power/

    This is actually specifically for you beast Read that 2nd article all about reverse t3
    That is a great article. No one even mentioned checking leptin levels, and it seems that would be quite the smart thing to check on, too. I'm going to update the links post with this one in there as it should certainly be a staple.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Official UFC 106 Pick'em Thread
    By sonofsteven in forum MMA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 04:07 AM
  2. The OFFICIAL SX Review Thread!!
    By T-AD in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 12:55 PM
  3. Official LOLCAT Thread
    By CryingEmo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 07:40 PM
  4. The Official Plasma vs. LCD thread!
    By LakeMountD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
  5. Official NFL Football Thread
    By jweave23 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in