Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

Keto is it Dangerous?

So I started a keto diet on Monday and I am not planning to run it more than a few weeks to simply reset my metabolism.

I asked one of the trainers at the gym about it his experiences with it to get a better idea of what to expect. So the trainer tells me that the diet will work great to screw me up and send me to hospital? He said that it really only works if your on a ton of gear!!

Also he said that I will lose a bunch of muscle? He asked me if I was trying a Palumbo diet and even his description of that was off.

Everything I have read tells me that it is not dangerous and will not catabolise my muscle- Can anybody clarify this for me or is the trainer an idiot?

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Veteran

You're fine. That guy has likely never actually researched it.

I've had great success with a keto diet. I actually enjoy it, too. You've got the right idea by only running it short term. Hit your carb refeeds properly and you're good to go.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.64%

Some of these trainers...lol. Most of their customers never question stuff they say so they just say bullcrap alot.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

I would really like to give the guy credit he has some fairly impressive trophies under his belt and really seems to want to be helpful.

As far a refeed goes, in TDH's thread it says to wait 14 days but in other places I have seen it scheduled weekly. I was considering going for one on the 6th day of about 500g of carbs-any imput?

My brain has stopped working and I have the worst taste in my mouth?
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.36%

Any diet is dangerous.You have to balance your training to make up for your goals.
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by dbl38 View Post
    I would really like to give the guy credit he has some fairly impressive trophies under his belt and really seems to want to be helpful.

As far a refeed goes, in TDH's thread it says to wait 14 days but in other places I have seen it scheduled weekly. I was considering going for one on the 6th day of about 500g of carbs-any imput?

you can do the wrong thing with enough intensity and frequently enough to make progress so trophies aren't worth crap.

The keto diet isn't dangerous, at the same time theres no evidence of it being advantageous to anyone except epileptics. Regardless of anectdotal broscience reports, theres no scientific evidence i've been able to find showing a ketogenic diet at x calories to preserve more muscle/lose more fat than a non ketogenic diet at x calories.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityActivity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting Veteran

Every person's body responds differently.

There's a guy at my gym who played college football. He's probably 45 or so and looks like an absolute beast. That being said, I lift more weight than he does and also use proper form. He's got all the young kids coming up to him asking for advice and half of what he tells them I don't agree with whatsoever. But, when you're a genetic freak and gifted like that, it doesn't really matter. I've also got a friend who was a nationally ranked jumper in track who could eat McDonalds every single day and still look better than anyone else.

With keto, I tried to go as long as possible for a refeed the last time I did it and I ended up cramping up due to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance pretty badly with as hard as I was working out (around 7 or 8 days in). I like to do smaller refeeds (that fit into my general macro scheme) twice a week. I pick a day I'm lifting heavy and the following day I have a smaller muscle group to work for my refeed days. I usually only took in about 250g or so each day and did just fine.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

oh and as far as your brain stopping and all today, this is because probably today you are really in ketosis. you've exhausted your glycogen reserves and your body is making the switch to burning ketones. In a day or two you should feel a lot better.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I'm sorry bro, but I laughed a little at the title of the question.. Im really suprised a trainer would say that to you, but then again Ive heard some really stupid things in my lifetime lol.

Keto is NOT dangerous, especially if you are eating really clean. What I mean by this is avoiding heavy dairy (cheese, whipping cream, buttermilk, etc) and consuming plenty of Omega 3, 6 and 9. Eat plenty of eggs, lean meats, green, fibrous vegetables and healthy fats. Your carb loading phases should not be "cheat days" they should be clean as well with your main goal to replenish glycogen levels. You also need to tailor your diet to work around your routine, or vice verse. So do your heaviest workouts once your body is saturated with glycogen, to maintain the most strenth and retain the most amount of lean mass.

I see a lot of people eating too high of protein on this diet. If you actually read into it, most of your calories should really come from fat. About 10% of the protein you ingest will be processed by the body into glucose, altering your blood sugar levels, which could keep you out of deep keto. Balance your protein and fats, your body will utilize fats as energy and you will realize that this is a muscle sparing process.

Keto should also not be run for long periods of time. I ran my last run for about 8 weeks, and in my opinion, for ME, it was a couple of weeks too long. My body began to adapt even while eating a clean diet and shifting my intake down a bit to adjust to new weight lost.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernCharm View Post
    Keto should also not be run for long periods of time. I ran my last run for about 8 weeks, and in my opinion, for ME, it was a couple of weeks too long. My body began to adapt even while eating a clean diet and shifting my intake down a bit to adjust to new weight lost.
    realistically though, just from the safety standpoint you are wrong on this part as the original design for the ketogenic diet came from attempting to help control epileptic seizures in children without using drugs (which it is effective for). So those kids were on ketogenic diets for years at a time without adverse effects. Of course as far as fat loss/muscle growth thats a different question.
    This space for rent

11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.87%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    realistically though, just from the safety standpoint you are wrong on this part as the original design for the ketogenic diet came from attempting to help control epileptic seizures in children without using drugs (which it is effective for). So those kids were on ketogenic diets for years at a time without adverse effects. Of course as far as fat loss/muscle growth thats a different question.

Youre right. Its more of a lifestyle change for the people who need it. Let me correct myself, when run for aesthetics, keto works best in limited runs. Thanks bro.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.09%

Congrats on jumping on the keto bandwagon, it will yield great results man as will any diet of this nature if your on your game. I knew keto breath was a real thing though! Im doing it right now and my breath smells like straight ass even after I brushed my teeth this morning. Im betting its the conversion happening from my liver producing those rank ass ketones.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

I am trying to stay a clean with this as possible but its a bit hard to rearange my thinking with fats. So far I have kept it to steak,chicken, bacon, tuna, almonds, natural peanut butter, brocolli, lean ground beef, and eggs. I added butter to the eggs this morn and patted up GB last night with olive oil and one slice of real cheese.

I plan on adding in avacado,carrots, and maybe cauliflower.
    I want to pick up some salmon as to limit my canned tuna consumption (I had real mayonnaise for the first time in years and man is it GOOD!!!)

I am having a hard time figuring out the veggie thing though only because I don't know how to cook a lot of things?? I can only take so much brocolli!!!
  14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

spinach is easy as well.
    This space for rent

15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.52%

Keto sucks. Why would you go so extreme at first as to go into ketosis when you could just clean your diet up, eat healthy, and still get great results while holding more strength and size? My advice; get everything where it needs to be so carb refeeds are not necessary. BTW, he said "brain dead" funny how so many trashed me in my other thread by making this point. No, ketones wont help your brain function as well, get used to being a moron and borderline retarded on this diet bro. And losing muscle!!
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight126 View Post
    Keto sucks. Why would you go so extreme at first as to go into ketosis when you could just clean your diet up, eat healthy, and still get great results while holding more strength and size? My advice; get everything where it needs to be so carb refeeds are not necessary. BTW, he said "brain dead" funny how so many trashed me in my other thread by making this point. No, ketones wont help your brain function as well, get used to being a moron and borderline retarded on this diet bro. And losing muscle!!
    My diet couldn't have gotten much cleaner and the reason I am doing this is to see what might work best for me, also if you don't have anything constructive to say please spend your time somewhere else.
  17. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.87%

Funny I had a great amount of energy on keto and did not find myself "brain dead" like you state... Just shows some things work for some but not others. I can tell you're not a big fan of keto but your accusations are nothing but your opinion.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

18. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

I have found a great deal of energy today and the fog has lifted!!
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%

I have found a great deal of energy today and the fog has lifted!!
    Glad to hear that, bro.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

Week one down but I'm not sure about this one? Energy is much better but I haven't lost an once of weight? I am not able to drink gallons of water due to my schedule and the extra sodium from the meats may just have me holding a ton of water?

Can anyone give me link to a daily breakdown of a meal plan?
  21. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.66%

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight126 View Post
    This is called his opinion on the diet. This is what you asked for - what people think about keto. I will echo his same thoughts to you as well. I think there are much better ways to go about things than craving carbs so bad that you want to stab someone. I have done plenty of keto and other diet types and personally think that a straight up calorie monitored diet is more effective, simply because you don't feel like a piece of dump.
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.87%

Quote Originally Posted by Carcaya View Post
    This is called his opinion on the diet. This is what you asked for - what people think about keto. I will echo his same thoughts to you as well. I think there are much better ways to go about things than craving carbs so bad that you want to stab someone. I have done plenty of keto and other diet types and personally think that a straight up calorie monitored diet is more effective, simply because you don't feel like a piece of dump.
    I'll add that I've felt often better than ever on keto diets. Especially if you have your refeeds set up appropriately, you don't find yourself craving carbs. You use them to refuel, and refill glycogen.

My energy levels have never suffered on keto and my overall sense of well being has been pretty darn good, too.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Is it dangerous? No, I don't think so. In fact, I would say that it's "better" from an overall health standpoint than a high-carbohydrate low-fat diet. I would also say that most diets are situation or goal-specific and that a given diet is almost certainly not ideal across all health and fitness goals.

But most importantly, you'll get widely varied responses with a question like this ranging from the most negative to the most positive with about 1000 different intermediate levels of effectiveness.

Just give it a shot and see for yourself whether it works with your lifestyle and helps you achieve your specific goals.
  24. ax1
    Elite Member
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.7%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I have 18 years dieting experience and nothing like losing 50 lbs without feeling hungry on low carb dieting. So that is an advantage, you can cut calories and get a full feeling and be satisfied all day long.

Everybody just have to find what works for them, keto/low carb dieting isnt for everybody. If your comfortable with it by all means stick with it, other options may be better suited for other people, to each their own.

Before and after photos of me! I take criticism of keto dieting a little personal, because without it I wouldnt be where I am today. It sucks having bad genetics, and keto/low carb changed my life around.

나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    81.6%

Just as a heads up, the bad breath is acetone and I found that my breath was bad too until I got a tongue scraper. It has a toobrush like side on it, and the other side is a scraper to remove everything the brush has lifted. Even when my tongue looks clean I scrape it 2-3 times a day and my breath stays completely fine, even without gum. If I dont scrape it is gets pretty bad
    I will sleep with you AND your pet for 50 bucks!
  26. ax1
    Elite Member
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.7%

Quote Originally Posted by jlinteris View Post
    Just as a heads up, the bad breath is acetone and I found that my breath was bad too until I got a tongue scraper. It has a toobrush like side on it, and the other side is a scraper to remove everything the brush has lifted. Even when my tongue looks clean I scrape it 2-3 times a day and my breath stays completely fine, even without gum. If I dont scrape it is gets pretty bad
    lol...its smells kinda bad but its not really too offensive like garlic breath. Its nowhere near as bad as my farts and I do that often.
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.64%

Man. You were such a fat disgusting slob, but now you're not. Great progress (srs)
  28. ax1
    Elite Member
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.7%

Quote Originally Posted by bakerderek0 View Post
    Man. You were such a fat disgusting slob, but now you're not. Great progress (srs)
    Thanks...thats exactly the way I felt to be honest so Im not offended at all.

I gained weight like that low carb dieting too...I really learned that you do have to control what you eat and watch what you eat. At that time I was eating 1 pound steaks washing it down with 2-3 sausages, lol low carb dieting doesnt mean endless eating. Id order a double whopper throw out the bread and then go to the store right after that and eat a atkins bar for example...

geez I really learned the hard way but I hope people do understand quantity counts, and that with low carb dieting its possible to keep quantity low and feel totally satisfied with how much you eat.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%

out of interest how may calories was every1 taking in on the keto diet ?
  30. ax1
    Elite Member
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.7%

Quote Originally Posted by thebiggerpict View Post
    out of interest how may calories was every1 taking in on the keto diet ?
    Dont count....there is a point where It just gets too much work to be doing that, but after many many years you just get a good idea of how much you need. Controlled portion size does the trick, as well as eating quality food.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

I'm going to look at my over all counts during the day tomorrow so that I can have a better base line understanding of my intake and adjust as needed.

My system cleaned itself out yesterday (my toilet is crying!!) so I can have a better idea of weight lost over the first week.
  32. ax1
    Elite Member
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.7%

I'm going to look at my over all counts during the day tomorrow so that I can have a better base line understanding of my intake and adjust as needed.

My system cleaned itself out yesterday (my toilet is crying!!) so I can have a better idea of weight lost over the first week.
    The first week your going to mostly lose water weight. Carbs hold water, less carbs = less water. The first week is not necessarily a good gauge for progress.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

Well from everything I had read I expected to lose water weight but didn't lose any weight. I want to determine my calorie consumption so I can gauge my intake.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

OK so now the water weight is off!! I think I am beginning to get the hang of this. This week I have been able to sleep more so I have felt great and my energy level is very high! I have been boarder line crampy some days does this pass or can I adjust something to deal?
  35. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%

More water is about it, make sure you are getting enough potassium + sodium in.
    This space for rent

36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.5%

OP, tell your trainer to go watch the documentary Fathead.
  37. cw1
    Stats
    5'8"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88%

So I started a keto diet on Monday and I am not planning to run it more than a few weeks to simply reset my metabolism.

I asked one of the trainers at the gym about it his experiences with it to get a better idea of what to expect. So the trainer tells me that the diet will work great to screw me up and send me to hospital? He said that it really only works if your on a ton of gear!!

Also he said that I will lose a bunch of muscle? He asked me if I was trying a Palumbo diet and even his description of that was off.

Everything I have read tells me that it is not dangerous and will not catabolise my muscle- Can anybody clarify this for me or is the trainer an idiot?
    A trainer told you that. Make sure you take a good fiber supp you will be fine.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  211 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.11%

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by cw1 View Post
    A trainer told you that. Make sure you take a good fiber supp you will be fine.
    I have been eating plenty of spinach and brocolli and everything is "moving" fine!!

I am curious about adjusting my calories over the next few weeks and meal timing? Anyone got any tips?

Started an Andro Hard/ Andro Lean Stack today so we'll see how this works
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.18%

sum good reading here, lets keep this going
  40. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.48%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    you can do the wrong thing with enough intensity and frequently enough to make progress so trophies aren't worth crap.

The keto diet isn't dangerous, at the same time theres no evidence of it being advantageous to anyone except epileptics. Regardless of anectdotal broscience reports, theres no scientific evidence i've been able to find showing a ketogenic diet at x calories to preserve more muscle/lose more fat than a non ketogenic diet at x calories.
    i will have to post the study when i have time at home but keto diets in men at +400 cals above maintanence are shown to still help you lose weight where as women cant do that....

they have a chart and everything.

ketogenic diets are shown to preserve more muscle then the standard high carb low fat diets. again i will search for these studies when i have time.

Similar Forum Threads

1. what is the most dangerous?
    By sundayx in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
  2. PH/PS = Dangerous??
    By borninsin in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
  3. NOW Foods 7-Keto or 7-Keto MuscLean
    By fatburner2007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27