Gained way to much weight after having a baby :(

Meme88

Awards
Hello Everyone!

I just signed up to AM because I needed information and also support. I gave birth June 2010. Before pregnancy I was about 150lbs, during pregnancy I went up to about 167lbs. After pregnancy....hmph...I got out of control and lazy. I am currently 197lbs. I am home 24/7 taking care of my child and have lost any desire to do anything. Now I look in the mirror and I am disgusted. I have let myself go. I don't want to go out or see anyone. Anyways, I need to get back in shape both for me and my daughter. My goal is to lose weight all over. I mostly need to lose the belly which has lost its elasticity since pregnancy. Here is my plan and goal:

Lipo 6 Black Hers+Sesamin
+Diet.
Cardio 4 days a week.
Goal weight: 150lbs

I want to add weight training but I will need advice because I am a total newbie. I do have 5 lb and 10 lb weights (which I will be using in cardio). Cany anyone please critique and give advice???

Thanks!

mikemd21289

mikemd21289

Awards
hey meme welcome to AM and congrats on the baby! I would love to give you some detailed advice but unfortunately I dont have much. Remember though, Calories in vs. Calories out is an important equation when striving for weight loss/weight gain.
Also remember that your baseline metabolic rate drops with inactivity.

I'm sure one of the AM girls will read your post within the next hour to two and be able to help alot more then me!

Goodluck with everything

Meme88

Awards
Thanks for the congrats and reply. I will definitely keep track of my calorie intake.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hello Everyone!

I just signed up to AM because I needed information and also support. I gave birth June 2010. Before pregnancy I was about 150lbs, during pregnancy I went up to about 167lbs. After pregnancy....hmph...I got out of control and lazy. I am currently 197lbs. I am home 24/7 taking care of my child and have lost any desire to do anything. Now I look in the mirror and I am disgusted. I have let myself go. I don't want to go out or see anyone. Anyways, I need to get back in shape both for me and my daughter. My goal is to lose weight all over. I mostly need to lose the belly which has lost its elasticity since pregnancy. Here is my plan and goal:

Lipo 6 Black Hers+Sesamin
+Diet.
Cardio 4 days a week.
Goal weight: 150lbs

I want to add weight training but I will need advice because I am a total newbie. I do have 5 lb and 10 lb weights (which I will be using in cardio). Cany anyone please critique and give advice???

Thanks!
First :welcome: to AM.

Second, forget about using supplements - you're a newbie, so do NOT need anything but the Basic Staples (creatine, multivitamin, good fats, protein, and BCAAs) - at your weight, you can almost get all your good fats, protein, and BCAAs requirements from your diet. I don't recommend using anything else until you have built up a solid training base. NUTRITION AND TRAINING are what are going to get you results!

Cardio is not necessary for fat loss. You're better off focusing more on RESISTANCE training - your progress will be better, because it is far more effective. If you don't want to go out, have a floor programme put together for you using bodyweight exercises, etc. that you can do - or go to a women's only gym where you don't feel as self conscious.

I recommend that you read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss, an article that comprehensively covers nutrition and training for effective and successful fat loss, and follow the principles outlined in it.

If you can't design a nutrition plan and training programme for yourself based on that and your previous fitness history, then I recommend that you get yourself a trainer who can and will individualize them for you specific to YOUR goals and needs.

~Rosie~

Meme88

Awards
Thank you so much Rosie! I really appreciate it. I love the website BTW, very informative. I am definitely taking your advice.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you so much Rosie! I really appreciate it. I love the website BTW, very informative. I am definitely taking your advice.
No worries and you're welcome :) Let me know how you go - all the best. Remember that there is nothing that we can't achieve if we want it badly enough and set our mind to it!

~Rosie~

snuggy

Awards
Hi meme, congrats for your baby. My sister in law had the same issues but now she is lost more than 50-60lbs. She started organic diet and yoga regimen. She was also going to gym every weekend. It took some months but she has lost considerable weight. It is easy to gain but it is tough to lose.

Don’t lost hope and visualize that you have reached the optimum weight and leading a healthy life. All the best.

Meme88

Awards
Thanks for the support! Rosie, I WANT THIS SO BAD!!! so I will work hard for it. @ Snuggy...Yes, I agree, it is faster to gain than to lose. I just wish my daughter would nap longer than 20 minutes so I can get some cardio and weight training done. She is sick so I am going to have to start this process on monday when daddy comes home. I am very excited and am determined to see results. My husband lifts weights and also put on some extra pounds so we are in this together. Thanks again. I will keep you posted.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the support! Rosie, I WANT THIS SO BAD!!! so I will work hard for it. @ Snuggy...Yes, I agree, it is faster to gain than to lose. I just wish my daughter would nap longer than 20 minutes so I can get some cardio and weight training done. She is sick so I am going to have to start this process on monday when daddy comes home. I am very excited and am determined to see results. My husband lifts weights and also put on some extra pounds so we are in this together. Thanks again. I will keep you posted.
No worries, lady :)

You can get an effective session done in 20 minutes! You need to start thinking OUTSIDE the box. And when your husband has free time, get HIM to look after the baby and go have some time out in the gym.

Having a spouse who lifts can be beneficial as well. Make sure you surround yourself with a supportive and positive environment - you don't need people who will tell you "no" or let you make excuses; you need people who will push you and help you make your goals happen.

~Rosie~

Meme88

Awards
Thanks Rosie. You are very inspiring. Since I gave birth my husband and I have been "pigging out." We were so overwhelmed taking care of our newborn that we hardly did anything. The only difference between us is that he kept hitting up the gym while I stood home. The worst part was ordering takeout almost all the time. I am researching substitutes and trying to find a diet that will fit me. I'm a carb lover. I need to get away from bread and rice. I think as soon as I eliminate those 2 items from my diet I will lose weight.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie. You are very inspiring. Since I gave birth my husband and I have been "pigging out." We were so overwhelmed taking care of our newborn that we hardly did anything. The only difference between us is that he kept hitting up the gym while I stood home. The worst part was ordering takeout almost all the time. I am researching substitutes and trying to find a diet that will fit me. I'm a carb lover. I need to get away from bread and rice. I think as soon as I eliminate those 2 items from my diet I will lose weight.
Carbohydrates are NOT the enemy! You do not have to eliminate them or restrict them excessively to lose the fat (and note that I said FAT, not weight, since SCALE WEIGHT is IRRelevant and you should NEVER focus on that - besides, it's easy to lose scale weight; I often go up and down 10-15 pounds every week, just as an example) - trust me, I eat over 400g of carbohydrates a day (at a minimum).

NUTRITION is the KEY to successful fat loss for most people. Next to that, as I said, if you're training, that will help as well, and is the second most important factor in fat loss - make sure you are RESISTANCE training for best effects over cardio.

You should eliminate the word "diet" from your thought. "Diet" should be a LIFESTYLE NUTRITION PLAN that you can follow ALL the time, changing re caloric intake only for your body goals. You just need to make sure EVERYthing is individualized to you.

I really recommend that you get yourself a trainer who will individualize everything for you and lay it out from nutrition to training, explaining the ins and outs of what they have done for you, so that you better understand and learn how to do those things for yourself.

Get out and JUST DO IT!

~Rosie~

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Meme,

1st off, congrats on the new addition, really puts a new perspective on things, does it not?

2nd, welcome to AM. There are many awesome, knowledgable and supportive people here. This is not the only workout/lifting/fitness community I participate in, but it is by far and away the best.

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
It does me good to read how much you want this.
That combined with your husband being in it with you is great! I don't have kids yet but me and my husband are our workout partners, we keep each other motivated and really feed off of each others enthusiasm. Like I really have issues with cardio :/ but he leans naturally towards running and sprinting, swimming and biking so he reminds me when I'm avoiding it LOL, gives me tips and pushes me to do better and go farther. As for me, I am more weights and strength oriented and do the same for him.
On the weekends we make it fun! Like beach runs with body weight routines, when we go out together instead of the "dinner and a movie" (which is cool for relaxing sometimes) we prefer some sort of workout or challenge we can take down together. It is definitely a plus specially since our friends aren't too fitness oriented.

Also a little something that really motivated me last month.
I recently did my first 10k (woo hoo!!) and the race track is a large loop so while I'm still goin up running near the 1 hour pacers I see this amazing lady running back on the other side near the 50 or 55 min racers. She's got these totally ripped abs and a look on her face that says get outta my way!! She was pushing this aerodynamic looking three wheeled stroller with beautiful blond aprox. 2 yr old little boy sitting in it!! I thought wow, I wanna be that kind of mommy. :D

Bah i tend to rattle on, welcome to the forums, I'm pretty new here myself.

Really try hard for that weight training, I started with the 5-10 DB's too. Then I bought this inexpensive steider weight set with the bench and barbell. I've had gym memberships and really miss the last gym I was in, but money flow right now isn't in my favor for a member ship. The bench, which is what takes up A Lot of space is the least nec equipment for me. I only use it for leg ext. ham curls and bench press. and if u have some ankle strap weights u can do some beginner type leg ext and ham curls without the bench.

For a good beginning home gym all u need is a Barbell (not even the big 45lb one they have in the gym, the smaller ones from k-mart do fine) with some weight plates, some adjustable DB's for going up in weights the future (or just various different weight DB's) and I would recommend 1 to 3 of those step up boxes.

Ask ur husband to help u out in learning things like deadlifts, front squats, good mornings, hacksquats, bent over rows, military press etc.... Compound BB exercises in other words. Do these with the just the bar first or most can be done with ur DB's!! Concentrate on form before trying for the bigger weights, plenty of online videos, articles and drawings that can help u out there.

I think whats helped me out the most is just consistency, doing something everyday towards my goal.

Stuff without weights that I have learned to love:
Jump Squats
Mountain climbers
Burpees
Pushups
Shuttle runs
Jumping Jacks (high school PE lol, but damn do they work!)

with the dumbells u have right now u can do things like standing flys, overhead tris, lat lifts, Split squats while holding the DB's at ur sides the skies the limit for beginners!!! everything is another stepping stone on the road towards progress!!

well! like i said, I ramble on lol. I really wish u the best success.

Meme88

Awards
Carbohydrates are NOT the enemy! You do not have to eliminate them or restrict them excessively to lose the fat (and note that I said FAT, not weight, since SCALE WEIGHT is IRRelevant and you should NEVER focus on that - besides, it's easy to lose scale weight; I often go up and down 10-15 pounds every week, just as an example) - trust me, I eat over 400g of carbohydrates a day (at a minimum).

NUTRITION is the KEY to successful fat loss for most people. Next to that, as I said, if you're training, that will help as well, and is the second most important factor in fat loss - make sure you are RESISTANCE training for best effects over cardio.

You should eliminate the word "diet" from your thought. "Diet" should be a LIFESTYLE NUTRITION PLAN that you can follow ALL the time, changing re caloric intake only for your body goals. You just need to make sure EVERYthing is individualized to you.

I really recommend that you get yourself a trainer who will individualize everything for you and lay it out from nutrition to training, explaining the ins and outs of what they have done for you, so that you better understand and learn how to do those things for yourself.

Get out and JUST DO IT!

~Rosie~

Carbs are not the enemy??? :think: So I will not make myself suffer..I will just eliminate late night carbs and try to minimize the intake until I see some muscle (hehe).

As for a trainer, trust me, I'd love to get one but money needs to be saved (new baby). I love the idea of having someone guide me and support me but unfortunately, PT sessions is out of my budget :boggled:.
BTW, I like the fact that you use fat and not weight.

Meme88

Awards
......It does me good to read how much you want this.
That combined with your husband being in it with you is great! I don't have kids yet but me and my husband are our workout partners, we keep each other motivated and really feed off of each others enthusiasm. Like I really have issues with cardio :/ but he leans naturally towards running and sprinting, swimming and biking so he reminds me when I'm avoiding it LOL, gives me tips and pushes me to do better and go farther. As for me, I am more weights and strength oriented and do the same for him.
On the weekends we make it fun! Like beach runs with body weight routines, when we go out together instead of the "dinner and a movie" (which is cool for relaxing sometimes) we prefer some sort of workout or challenge we can take down together. It is definitely a plus specially since our friends aren't too fitness oriented.

Also a little something that really motivated me last month.
I recently did my first 10k (woo hoo!!) and the race track is a large loop so while I'm still goin up running near the 1 hour pacers I see this amazing lady running back on the other side near the 50 or 55 min racers. She's got these totally ripped abs and a look on her face that says get outta my way!! She was pushing this aerodynamic looking three wheeled stroller with beautiful blond aprox. 2 yr old little boy sitting in it!! I thought wow, I wanna be that kind of mommy. :D

Bah i tend to rattle on, welcome to the forums, I'm pretty new here myself.

Really try hard for that weight training, I started with the 5-10 DB's too. Then I bought this inexpensive steider weight set with the bench and barbell. I've had gym memberships and really miss the last gym I was in, but money flow right now isn't in my favor for a member ship. The bench, which is what takes up A Lot of space is the least nec equipment for me. I only use it for leg ext. ham curls and bench press. and if u have some ankle strap weights u can do some beginner type leg ext and ham curls without the bench.

For a good beginning home gym all u need is a Barbell (not even the big 45lb one they have in the gym, the smaller ones from k-mart do fine) with some weight plates, some adjustable DB's for going up in weights the future (or just various different weight DB's) and I would recommend 1 to 3 of those step up boxes.

Ask ur husband to help u out in learning things like deadlifts, front squats, good mornings, hacksquats, bent over rows, military press etc.... Compound BB exercises in other words. Do these with the just the bar first or most can be done with ur DB's!! Concentrate on form before trying for the bigger weights, plenty of online videos, articles and drawings that can help u out there.

I think whats helped me out the most is just consistency, doing something everyday towards my goal.

Stuff without weights that I have learned to love:
Jump Squats
Mountain climbers
Burpees
Pushups
Shuttle runs
Jumping Jacks (high school PE lol, but damn do they work!)

with the dumbells u have right now u can do things like standing flys, overhead tris, lat lifts, Split squats while holding the DB's at ur sides the skies the limit for beginners!!! everything is another stepping stone on the road towards progress!!

well! like i said, I ramble on lol. I really wish u the best success.
Wow wow wow....thanks for the very detailed advice. My husband has a home gym with the weights, bars, etc. I've always stood away. I never thought that would be for me (thats why I have dumbbells).
My hubby tells me that muscle helps burn fat. So I am going to start weight training.
Are you bench pressing? How much are you currently lifting(is that the correct term?).

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Carbs are not the enemy??? :think: So I will not make myself suffer..I will just eliminate late night carbs and try to minimize the intake until I see some muscle (hehe).

As for a trainer, trust me, I'd love to get one but money needs to be saved (new baby). I love the idea of having someone guide me and support me but unfortunately, a PT sessions is out of my budget :boggled:.
BTW, I like the fact that you use fat and not weight.
No, carbohydrates are NOT the enemy - this is a common MISconception, and it's very frustrating to see women especially immediately go to cutting them out and being ridiculous with their nutrition!

If you can't afford a trainer, then I suggest that you look around at different things. Don't be like most people and just do whatever whenever and hope that it works - you won't get results that way and could just end up as one of those people in the gym who never change no matter what they do. Read post #3 at http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/166309-suggestions-body-weight.html for ideas on what you can do even at home, and in a short period of time.

As I said, SCALE WEIGHT is IRRELEVANT - you can lose weight easy, but you want to lose FAT and NOT any precious lean mass!

You've been given all the information you need to be successful at your goal - review it, use it, apply it. Don't make excuses. Just do it and do it PROPERLY from the START!

~Rosie~

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
Yeap! I bench. I remember when I started I would do them with my 10 lb db's just to get the hang of it (an I did feel it) I've always been an artist and bookworm so I had nothing to start with.
When i first benched at a gym it was with just the bar, which I am told weighs 45lbs and did like 3 sets of 5 reps.
I took a break from weight training for awhile but kept my little newbie gains because I got into collision repair which is a very physical job. I now do 60lbs in small sets with my home gym (the bar weighs much less) and hope to do a lot more.
I follow blogs and workout logs and such to keep me motivated (Rosie's is one of em) :)

Meme88

Awards
No, carbohydrates are NOT the enemy - this is a common MISconception, and it's very frustrating to see women especially immediately go to cutting them out and being ridiculous with their nutrition!

If you can't afford a trainer, then I suggest that you look around at different things. Don't be like most people and just do whatever whenever and hope that it works - you won't get results that way and could just end up as one of those people in the gym who never change no matter what they do. Read post #3 at ... for ideas on what you can do even at home, and in a short period of time.

As I said, SCALE WEIGHT is IRRELEVANT - you can lose weight easy, but you want to lose FAT and NOT any precious lean mass!

You've been given all the information you need to be successful at your goal - review it, use it, apply it. Don't make excuses. Just do it and do it PROPERLY from the START!

~Rosie~
Thanks again. I couldn't possibly be any more grateful than I already am. I will definitely work hard...no exscuses.

Meme88

Awards
Wow. Thats good that you can lift that much without having weight training history. That just goes to show that theres nothing you CANT do (as Rosie said above).
I will also look into blogs. I am new at this so hopefully I'll find a few inspiring ones including Rosie's.