Why isn't this working? I'm stumped...

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Ok stats.... 205lbs probally 14-18% bodyfat maybe more... Well anyway... You guys say you have to eat to get big... Well this isy typical diet and I'm trying to cut and it isn't working... Why? It's like what you guys would call a crazy crash diet... I workout 5 days a week... Train back and chest twice a week... I do legs..I'm in for at least 45-60 min... Here's my diet I would at least think I would lose weight...

Breakfast. Protein shake 56 gram protein 8 fat 15 carb

Snack- beef jerky (. One of them little bags)

Lunch- salad with no fat dressing and alot of chicken and ham and turkey about 8-10oz

Snack- protein shake 40gram protein 5 fat 12 carb

Dinner- some type of meat with green veggies..

After working out it's a protein shake 56 gram one... All shakes made with 2% milk...

So as you can see it's not alot of calories at all... Maybe 2000... Why can't I lose fat? My goal is 185 at 10percent by summer but so far like no progress...

Last question how should would clen work?

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Ok stats.... 205lbs probally 14-18% bodyfat maybe more... Well anyway... You guys say you have to eat to get big... Well this isy typical diet and I'm trying to cut and it isn't working... Why? It's like what you guys would call a crazy crash diet... I workout 5 days a week... Train back and chest twice a week... I do legs..I'm in for at least 45-60 min... Here's my diet I would at least think I would lose weight...

Lunch- salad with no fat dressing and alot of chicken and ham and turkey about 8-10oz

After working out it's a protein shake 56 gram one... All shakes made with 2% milk...

So as you can see it's not alot of calories at all... Maybe 2000... Why can't I lose fat? My goal is 185 at 10percent by summer but so far like no progress...

Last question how should would clen work?

Because you're not eating enough believe it or not. When you're in a calorie deficit diet, you're body will look to muscle for energy before fat. Fat is a necessity for survival so when you're too low on cals, you're body freaks out and starts eating up the non-essential muscle for energy and stores the fat for times of famine.

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
But what's weird is I thought that also... But if I eat more food my weight does go up and I gain fat... And I mean like I used to have one more meal and one less shake and another meal and I gain fat and it's only like another 500-750 calories... I went on a cycle one time of sd/epi and ate my ass off and gain fat like
Like 3500-4000 calories... On a cycle and gained fat... My body sucks...my friend just started lift and in aomth he looks better than me... And I been lifting for two years and watch my diet... Sorry just rambling...

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Not to offend you but since you're here asking, I'll be frank. You're obviously not eating and/or training right if you're 18% bf or more as you say. My height and weight are about where you are and I eat between 4000-5000 cals per day, and I'll be honest, they're not the cleanest of cals either.

My profile pic was taken about a month ago and I was 12% bf and I eat like a horse. But I train like an ox and maybe that's where the difference lies. I hope you're doing all the basic compound movements while training (real squats, deadlifts, bench presses, military presses). There's something wrong somewhere and you have to find out where it is whether it be in your diet, training, or both. My money would be on both.

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Ya see I think it's mostly diet... My training is good... Do all compound movements as heavy as I can go... I can bench 240 twice at my weight... Which I thought was good... And your profile pic is where I want to be.... Post up a diet of yours really quick...

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Ya see I think it's mostly diet... My training is good... Do all compound movements as heavy as I can go... I can bench 240 twice at my weight... Which I thought was good... And your profile pic is where I want to be.... Post up a diet of yours really quick...
Wow, I wouldn't be able to post my daily diet since it varies so much but I'll give you an example of what I ate yesterday. And like I said, my diet isn't the cleanest, I just eat ALL day long. If I'm not "eating", I'm snacking. If I'm not snacking, I'm either at work, the gym, or napping.

wake-up
2 scoops whey protein
turkey, cheese, avacodo sandwich on whole wheat bread
blueberry yogurt

--hit the gym--

Postworkout at gym
50g protein shake
banana

postworkout meal one hour after gym
1lbs ribeye steak
1 cup brown rice
1 cup steamed broccoli

snack
1 scoop whey protein w/2 cups skim milk
half-cup cashews
6 Fig Newtons

meal
2 grilled chicken breast
1 cup broccoli
1 cup brown rice

meal
turkey/cheese on whole wheat english muffin
blueberry yogurt
banana

last snack of day
2 tbls peanut butter
2 scoops Syntha6 protein
3 cups skim milk

So as you can see, I eat like a horse. But like I said, I train like an ox so all the calories are warranted. You need to find the right balance for you and maybe up the intensity in the gym. I beat my body to death but I've been doing it for so long that I'm used to it.

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like I'm gonna eat more... Just healthly.. And train as hard as possible... I do train hard but I'm gonna push it...

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I know what your going though buddy!Im 33 and 189lb i thiught i had lower body fat but im at 14%and a week and a half ago i was 16.4%at 194lb.I do agree with your not eating enough i don"t evan think your at 2000cal i eat 2400cal 6 days a week and 1 day i eat 3400cal.What i've been doing is 1 week 30min fasted cardio(med. int. and some low) with a second 30-45min cardio doing things like burbees,jumping jacks,running in place for 45sec walk fast in between for alittle and do this for 30-45min then lift for an hour and a half but i change my lifting evary week too by doing heavy for three days then for next three doing higher reps with shorter rest periods.I lift 6days with sunday doing whatever i feel like (tire flipping,car pushing,trx ect.)its very hard work but i want to get to 8-10%and its working great.So eat more and train more is what it boils down to_Oh and my carbs are in the morning none pre or post sometimes at dinner.

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
Yea, you're nutrition is definitely off. I'd remove beef jerky, its just tons of sodium. Also, where's your cardio? Are you doing any at all? Kanaka's def on point with his diet, but you have to gauge how stuff works for you. Some people like myself aren't very tolerant of carbs, so i cycle between 90-150 during the week, and still see great gains. Id say pretty much mimic kanakas diet, hit the weights 5-6 days a week, cardio 4-5 days a week(after your lift), and see what happens. If you still dont see physical weight loss(numbers arent always the best indicator), drop yourcarbs a bit, and keep doing so till you get it right

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
One more thing do you know what your maintence cals are?Thats the first place to start.Find out and eat 500 below with low carbs lean meat and make sure the carbs are complex and try to eat whole gains from them.Also hows your energy though the day?Cause i found out i have a thyroid and low t-levels and am on meds for this.And it seems to be working.Just don't get upset over this and everything will work out.It takes time.

S

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
try CKD ( low carb during week, then 1-2 day low fat carb up)

or

carb cycling - high,med,low carb days done in a cycle.

or

morning cardio with BCAAs

or

a cortisol blocker + the above suggestions ( except the carb cycling).

whatever you do, consistency will be the biggest factor.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Without measuring your foods, theres no telling how many calories it is, but with the added 2% milk i'd think your shakes come to close to 900 cals alone. You've got too many shakes there, the beef jerky is for desparate moments not daily use. Add more vegetables, add some fruits too in reasonable amounts. Eat more solid foods. I don't even use a shake every workout day, much less on non workout days.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If I ate like that I know I would lose weight.. But it would be 90% muscle that I would be losing. Although I believe in recomposition, I personally like to spend a year or so bulking, followed by 3-6 months of cutting. That way I have a specific goal for that time period. I personally would try to get to the lower teens in % since youve got some strength already and add 5-6 days of cardio a week for 45 minutes to an hour. Beef jerky and shakes will not be enough for you then and you may be forced to eat something like: salmon filet, brussel sprouts, 1/2 cup brown rice. Low carbs diets are good for one thing: devouring muscle size and strength. Thats why cardio is so important, because you need ALOT of protein and a good amount of quality carbs just to hold onto muscle. I doubt one person here didnt slave over every pound of muscle gained so why give it away by crash dieting. Turn your body into a fat burning machine by sparing your calorie starved muscles and doing moderate intensity cardio every day to burn off all of whats covering them. Good luck!

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Ok changed up my diet today... How is it now? I need low carbs or I gain fat... Here's the diet...

Breakfast 2tb natty peanut butter with a protein shake..

Snack 4-5 oz chicken/steak

Lunch salad with 8-10oz chicken/ham/turkey

Snack... Protein shake ( work doesn't let us eat just drink)

Dinner 8-10oz chicken/steak with green veggies about a cup

Before bed 2tb natty pb...

After working out... A fruit of some kind and protein shake

I lift 4-5 days a week... Starting cardio at 2 days a week...

Last edited:
M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I think that's alittle better... Added in more whole food... Might add in some type of nut with my snack... Almonds of some kind will that be ok?

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I know for myself im still hungry with a shake with milk or not if i were you i'd have about 10-12oz of egg white and about 3 slices of whole grain bread.Because your getting carbs with the milk and with the bread it'll last longer (you have all day to burn them off)and the egg whites will fill you more and food is better then a suppelment.Carbs in right times and sizes won't make you fat but will give you the energy for the start of the day.

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
looks a lot better. I'd start off with at least 4 days of cardio. You're aiming for weightless, not bulk, 2 days of cardio wont cut it

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Ok will try this for about a month see where it puts me... Thanks alot for all tue help!

N

ntornado

Awards
try CKD ( low carb during week, then 1-2 day low fat carb up)

or

carb cycling - high,med,low carb days done in a cycle.

or

morning cardio with BCAAs

or

a cortisol blocker + the above suggestions ( except the carb cycling).

whatever you do, consistency will be the biggest factor.

Some good advice here.

B

BuzzLightyear

Awards
You're eating like a 12 year old girl. Piss off dairy completely. Carbs from veggies only. Increase you fat intake. Olive oil on and in everything to bump the calories up. If you want to get pharmaceutical, add clenbuterol.

D

drudixon

Awards
But what's weird is I thought that also... But if I eat more food my weight does go up and I gain fat... And I mean like I used to have one more meal and one less shake and another meal and I gain fat and it's only like another 500-750 calories... I went on a cycle one time of sd/epi and ate my ass off and gain fat like
Like 3500-4000 calories... On a cycle and gained fat... My body sucks...my friend just started lift and in aomth he looks better than me... And I been lifting for two years and watch my diet... Sorry just rambling...
How can you conclusively say your body sucks when you're not the least bit scientific about it? Eyeballing food and nutrients = crap science. Go online to myfitnesspal or something like that and log everything. Use serving cups to portion your meals. You should know every ounce of what's going into your body. Odds are you're not writing everything down, you're not getting enough protein, and your macros in general are messed up.

Do it right, then get back to us.

PS. I couldn't get it right either until I started writing everything down, measuring, and figuring out where I needed to be.

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
Weighing and measure everything takes alittle extra time but it pays off i do this also.After some time you know what to serve yourself just dont go buy someone saying to eat a large sweet potatoe and take the larger one out of the three (thats what i did) and it backfired on me i was eating like a 12oz one when i needed a 6oz one.Once you get in a routine of doing this it becomes very easy.

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I always write down what I eat... So far today....

Protein shake with 2 tb natty pb

5 oz grilled chicken..

8oz grilled chicken on whole wheat bread with onions and peppers

In about a hour or two protein shake...

Then workout followed by protein shake and banana

Dinner is steak tonight... 8-10oz with a cup of broccoli

Before bed I use generate by lg and take creatine also... Is that better it's 250 grams of protein if not more...

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
some type of meat should be changed to either a really lean form of meat like 95 % for ground beef, bison is pretty lean, chicken, stay away from pork. Also turkey is really lean except it makes you a little sleepy from eating it. Also try incorporating more fish or fish oil. This is good for health purpose such as brain function and heart. try incorporating more cardio. Hope this helps. Good luck with weight loss!
Why stay away from pork? I eat pork probaby 2 times per week. There's such a misconception about pork but it's not bad at all, as long as you get loin cuts. Low in fat and high in protein and loaded with nutrients without the high calories. I eat beef and chicken sooo much that I throw pork in there to change it up once in a while. It's good stuff!

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Well I still live at home and it's big thing to eat with the family.... So dinners I can't really help.... Like my diet is perfect... Untill dinner usally it's chicken or steak Or meat of some kind... Well tonight.... Meatballs!!!! How bad are meatballs for you... I'm guessing low carb high fat moderate protein.... So they shouldn't hurt... Right?

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
Well I still live at home and it's big thing to eat with the family.... So dinners I can't really help.... Like my diet is perfect... Untill dinner usally it's chicken or steak Or meat of some kind... Well tonight.... Meatballs!!!! How bad are meatballs for you... I'm guessing low carb high fat moderate protein.... So they shouldn't hurt... Right?
depends how they are made. regardless they are low card high protein, but depending on the meat she uses and butter(that all moms use in abundance), could be extremely high in fat

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Ya it was 93 lean meat but who knows how much fat I'm guessing like 50 grams for the 8 meatballs I ate.... That's not bad though as I only had about 30 grams durning the day...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does she add bread crumbs or anything else to it? Like i said before, your caloric total is really a vague guess if you don't know and take it apart, weighing and measuring everything.

Do I do this with every meal every day? Not any more. But I spent a good 3-4 months of meticulously weighing and measuring everything that went into my mouth and so my estimates are pretty close. With the one peanut butter I use for instance, I can scoop a precise 38-40g with a butter knife every time.

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
For me i know better then to eat anything my mom makes.Just for the fact that she uses a half a stick of butter to fry a steak with 30g of fat to start with.There my family so i give them a little bit of a hard time but at there age there set in there ways.Thats why i cook for myself at this time while im cutting (have no choice)i could eat what she makes and make up for it with more cardio but if i do anymore im going to poop out an elliptical!Its your life, your goal,your choice,How bad do you what it?!You'll getting help from all of us so do the best you can for now.

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
I do weigh everything I eat.. Like for instance I go so shoprivht put 8-10 chicken in a container... Which is .65 lbs.... Then add my greens and stuff... And dressing on the side... And try to use as little as possible... Tonight my mom is making another bad meal... Buffalo tails... High in protein... And carbs... And fat ... But it might help... Because it's my pwo meal... After my shake...

T

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I really don't think it i'll help buddy,i go by if it has fat and carbs its a cheat meal,protein and fat not so bad.Im just trying to help.You said it yourself another bad meal.

M

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Very true... I'm gonna start making my own dinners next week...

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Remember, Hot Pockets and Hungry Man dinners don't count! LOL

jason1000

jason1000

Awards
  • Established
Do at least 30 mins of cardio 5 days a week. Also, try to do a high volume of training. Idk what you do now but it its low reps increase them a bit.

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
whoa, dont scare me like that dude, hungry mans are second most important behind BCAA's, lol
Really?! Crap! And all these years I was thinking it was SPAM! :happysad:

DaJaP

DaJaP

Awards
Ah yes, the key to weightloss...

Just playin. Was readin the thread and the omitted word (problem) made me chuckle.
ah the magical day in every little boys life when he finds his thyroid...