post workout nutrient synergy

1. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.53%

post workout nutrient synergy

We know that if we consume carbs along with protein, the carbs will provide as a protein-sparring effect because they will be the preffered source of energy for the body, while the protein will be used to repair and rebuild (yay!). what the hell is my point?

well, since i have been cutting, i stopped using dextrose post workout, because i'm not trying to spike right now, and opted for oatmeal or sweet potatoes instead. But i still consume whey protein, so my question is.... since whey protein is broken down and absorbed much more rapidly than the complex carbs which i am eating, is my body (which is already in a hypocaloric state) using the aminos in my blood stream to convert to glucose for energy and then on top of that, hours later still breaking apart complex carbs and spilling them into my fat stores? because this would be awful.

wouldn't a better solution be a moderate GI carb, like whole-wheat bread or slightly processed cereal? (rather than one end being dextrose and on another end being whole oats)

2. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

The GI doens't measure the rate of absortion, just the insulin response to a certian food.

If you want to use a source that is absorbed quick yet doens't cause a very large spike, use skim milk. But either way, your fine.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.53%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    The GI doens't measure the rate of absortion, just the insulin response to a certian food.

If you want to use a source that is absorbed quick yet doens't cause a very large spike, use skim milk. But either way, your fine.
    so you're telling me that in the same time that it takes the blood-amino acid concentration to peak in my body from 50g of whey protein, there will be an equal amount of glucose circulating in my body from 50g of whole oats?
    •   

4. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

I didn't say that. I said that the GI measure the insulin response, not the actualy absortion or rate of gastric emptying occuring.

If you take 50g Whey it won't get absorbed because your body can only handle a certain amount of amino's at one time.

If you ingest a carbohydrate, the body almost instantaneously known its a carb, so your fear of whey being used as a fuel source is unwarranted unless you consume it alone.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.9%

Bobo, i've read a few of your posts before on low gi pwo. You were talking about the glut4 receptors of the cell already being activated via weight training and protein uptake by the cell would already be high, thus no need for high gi sugars like dex cos of a risk of being stored as fat. But, my question is to what extent have the glut4 receptors been activated during weights. And will an insulin spike via dex/malto increase cell permeability to protein?
  6. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Higher than any normal feeding pattern would produice (and the effects physiological levels of insulin would cause). I would have to dig up the study showing the difference. I tihnk its listed in thr large thread at Avant. I had it on my old computer but that died when I moved, so I've lost many of my studies I had on file.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle
    By DarCSA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
  2. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 07:21 AM
  3. Pre/During/Post Workout Nutrition
    By Nelson in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2003, 03:40 AM
  4. even post workout nutrition
    By sage in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 12:18 PM
  5. Post your pre/post workout nutrition regimens...
    By TMack40 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2002, 11:10 PM