A nice read for all you careless bulkers

1. Gate Keeper
    Answers

A nice read for all you careless bulkers

Effects of a high-fat diet on postabsorptive and postprandial testosterone responses to a fat-rich meal.

Volek JS, Gomez AL, Love DM, Avery NG, Sharman MJ, Kraemer WJ.

Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 47306, USA.

Postprandial testosterone concentrations have been shown to significantly decrease after a fat-rich meal, which may be due to inhibition of testosterone production by chylomicrons. We examined the effects of a high-fat diet known to reduce postprandial chylomicrons on the testosterone response to a fat-rich meal. Total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), cortisol, and insulin responses to a high-fat test meal containing 5.44 MJ (1,300 kcal, 11% carbohydrate, 3% protein, 86% fat) were determined before (week 0) and after (week 8) an 8-week high-fat diet (64% fat) in 11 healthy men. The high-fat diet resulted in significant reductions in postabsorptive and postprandial serum triacylglycerols (55% and 50%, respectively). There were no significant changes in postabsorptive serum TT, FT, and cortisol, but insulin concentrations were significantly (P < or = .05) lower at week 8 (-28%). There was a significant reduction 1 hour after the fat-rich meal for TT (-22%) and FT (-23%), which remained significantly below baseline for 8 hours. Postprandial TT and FT responses were not significantly different after the 8-week high-fat diet. Postprandial serum cortisol concentrations were significantly reduced 1 hour after the meal. There were no significant differences before and after the high-fat diet. Insulin was significantly increased at the 0-, 1-, and 2-hour postprandial time points before and after the high-fat diet. Compared with week 0, insulin concentrations were significantly lower prior to and immediately after the fat-rich meal at week 8. These data indicate a fat-rich meal results in a prolonged reduction in TT and FT concentrations that is not altered by lowering postprandial chylomicrons. Alternative mechanisms (eg, higher uptake at the receptor level of cells) other than chylomicron-induced or insulin-induced inhibition of steroidogenesis are likely responsible for the reduction in TT and FT after a fat-rich meal.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Now lets talk about good Fat rich meal , EFA ... that is supposed to bring your test levels up.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I guess this applys for the guys bulking up natty style hehe
    •   

Answers

Yeah, am I missing where it said what kinds of fat were used?

Also, 8 hours?? My god, say you have 6 high fat meals/day (which I do) could you imagine what that would yield? Also, do these below base-line levels that stay decreased for 8 hours after consumption add in to one another?
  5. Registered User
    Answers

I've read saturated fats can actually increase test.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DobermanXXL
    I've read saturated fats can actually increase test.
    Yeah I know, this goes against everything I've ever read...
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Effects of a high-fat diet on postabsorptive and postprandial testosterone responses to a fat-rich meal.

Volek JS, Gomez AL, Love DM, Avery NG, Sharman MJ, Kraemer WJ.

Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 47306, USA.

Postprandial testosterone concentrations have been shown to significantly decrease after a fat-rich meal, which may be due to inhibition of testosterone production by chylomicrons. We examined the effects of a high-fat diet known to reduce postprandial chylomicrons on the testosterone response to a fat-rich meal. Total testosterone (TT), free testosterone (FT), cortisol, and insulin responses to a high-fat test meal containing 5.44 MJ (1,300 kcal, 11% carbohydrate, 3% protein, 86% fat) were determined before (week 0) and after (week 8) an 8-week high-fat diet (64% fat) in 11 healthy men. The high-fat diet resulted in significant reductions in postabsorptive and postprandial serum triacylglycerols (55% and 50%, respectively). There were no significant changes in postabsorptive serum TT, FT, and cortisol, but insulin concentrations were significantly (P < or = .05) lower at week 8 (-28%). There was a significant reduction 1 hour after the fat-rich meal for TT (-22%) and FT (-23%), which remained significantly below baseline for 8 hours. Postprandial TT and FT responses were not significantly different after the 8-week high-fat diet. Postprandial serum cortisol concentrations were significantly reduced 1 hour after the meal. There were no significant differences before and after the high-fat diet. Insulin was significantly increased at the 0-, 1-, and 2-hour postprandial time points before and after the high-fat diet. Compared with week 0, insulin concentrations were significantly lower prior to and immediately after the fat-rich meal at week 8. These data indicate a fat-rich meal results in a prolonged reduction in TT and FT concentrations that is not altered by lowering postprandial chylomicrons. Alternative mechanisms (eg, higher uptake at the receptor level of cells) other than chylomicron-induced or insulin-induced inhibition of steroidogenesis are likely responsible for the reduction in TT and FT after a fat-rich meal.
    Does anyone find it a little overboard that they used an 86% fat meal and total calories from fat being 64%?! I suppose that is high fat, but with a ration that high in fats negative results do not exactly surprise me
  8. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Jweave that was just my thought. But think about it, over half of American's eat meals like that everyday For us it's a little different because we tend to eat healthier. Like I said in the title for the "careless bulkers" the ones that just eat everything in site to get those calories high and then realize over half the weight they've gained is fat.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    But think about it, over half of American's eat meals like that everyday
    Yeah, you're right...I doubt the fatasses I see everyday have super high T levels...

That made me think though....if true, I'm doin' some serious damage to myself..
  10. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jergo
    Yeah, you're right...I doubt the fatasses I see everyday have super high T levels...

That made me think though....if true, I'm doin' some serious damage to myself..
    Science doesn't lie but I would like to know what fats and or foods the subjects were given. I doubt good fats would have this negative effect. I'm guessing a majority was saturated.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

must be man , I don't think that would be the same response with rich polyunsaturared fats .
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Does anyone find it a little overboard that they used an 86% fat meal and total calories from fat being 64%?! I suppose that is high fat, but with a ration that high in fats negative results do not exactly surprise me
    what's up with the 3% protein as well?
  13. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.
    Answers

The repsonse would be less the faster the lipid is cleared form the bloodstream. Less lipids circulating, less chylomicrons. So the best solution here would be MCT's. Overall I don't tihnk the difference would be anything negligable as long as your diet isn't full of saturated fats or trans-fatty acids.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...et/twitter.png http://anabolicminds.com/forum/image...t/facebook.png

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

well that's good to know, considering the 12g of fish oil I take daily now
  15. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'4"  269 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    well that's good to know, considering the 12g of fish oil I take daily now
    Do you take your fish oil mainly before cardio and workouts or do you spread it out in meals throughout the day? I read somewhere that some study said that taking it before workouts increases fat burn. I can't tell one way or another tho
  16. Gate Keeper
    Answers

Jweave takes it before cardio so he can sweat and smell like fish. He likes not only his women to smell that way but himself as well . He's a rather odd and a sick fellow if you ask me. Damn fisheality freaks, leave those little bastards alone and stop playing with yourself.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait
    Do you take your fish oil mainly before cardio and workouts or do you spread it out in meals throughout the day? I read somewhere that some study said that taking it before workouts increases fat burn. I can't tell one way or another tho
    I take it 3x daily, but never post-workout, usually breakfast, lunch, and late meal. There have been several studies on how fish oil can help with burning fat over at Avant's board I believe.
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Another thing about that study. 3% of the meal was protein. I would like someone to try to find a food ANY bodybuilder would use that consisted of 86% fat, 11% carbohydrate and 3% protein. Even eating fast food your almost always getting higher then 3% protein...unless your only eating french fries.
    It's like the meals they were eating were blocks of cream cheese, coated with just a touch of sugar for taste.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I'm so bummed, I just finished eating my plate o' lard with a Mountain Dew chaser before reading this.
  20. Registered User
    Answers

I'm so bummed, I just finished eating my plate o' lard with a Mountain Dew chaser before reading this.
    lol such much for eating mayonnaise right out of the jar for dinner.
  21. Dan
    Answers

Maybe the results had more to do with the fact that there was so little protein and carbs rather than so much fat?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. For all you bored readers
    By TheCrownedOne in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 05:53 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
  3. For all you Boston fans.....
    By jaketparker in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 01:35 PM