Animalbolics Diet, burning fat intelligently

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
This is pulled off of an article saved on ironmag's website

The History:

The theory behind Animalbolics dates back over a year on the Varix message board. It started by pointing out the flaws in the ketogenic diet. The idea has been thrown around by various message boards and was soon appearing under a different name; "The Warrior Diet" (hmm I wonder if the wrestler follows or endorses this diet).

The Theory:

That eating 5-6 meals a day actually robs the body of potential fat burning hours and may actually make you fatter. By controlling the times when your body releases insulin you can increase fat loss and protein synthesis.

The Facts:

The diet has produced dramatic results in many people, including our very own Chris Thibaudeau.

The Controversy:

Testosterone.net has recently published a series of articles that are interviews with Ori Hofmekler. Who they claim originated this diet. I honestly believe he didn't originate it and T-mag is not recognizing Animals claim, and they even poke fun at him. The diet is a method and/or procedure. Methods and procedures are patentable.

The Original Post:

Here it is straight from the man himself, the original post from close to a year ago, outlining Animalbolics.

On: 10/20/98 11:08:48 PM
Subject: 5-6 MEALS A DAY MAKES YOU FAT!!!!!!
How 5-6 meals a day makes you fat!

That's right, and you read it here first. They make you fat.

After I proved the farce of the ketogenic diets I began to think, 'What type of diet was I on that made me the leanest and put on the most mass!' Then one of the ketogenic diets authors sent me a nasty email which said, 'What diet won't shut down your thyroid, genius.'

Well, if nothing else, he was at least smart enough to realize that those almighty diets do shut down your thyroid. I felt pity for him because it was sad how he was still clinging to dreams of ketosis even though he had been scammed. But realized there was hope for him when he called me 'genius'! He still had the power of rational thinking left and I'd be damned if I didn't help this poor soul.

Hmmm. What diets don't shut down your thyroid? First, what do we know about how the thyroid shuts down when dieting? There are 3 ways; lack of carbohydrate, heat (DNP and external) and DNP binding to T4 protein and excreting it which is actually good, but that is another story. We aren't going to take DNP so those two are out and we are left with lack of carbohydrates. We are also not going to take CLA or pyruvate so we are left with a pure diet with no catches. How can we keep the carbs going? We all know of one diet that won't shut things down and that is the 'Up and down' type diet. We eat normal one day and lower our calories the next and repeat. This maintains all the hormones, but could take quite a long time. We need a faster and possibly simpler way.

Why not eat 5-6 small meals a day? Because it makes you fat! Now we are going to use the ketogenic authors arguments against them. Insulin does what? It drives glucose and needed nutrients into the cells, including fat cells, AND it stops lipolysis!!!! It stops lipolysis!!!!! If I am eating 5-6 times a day I am going to be stopping lipolysis every single time I eat again because I will get an insulin rise which, can you all say it? Stops lipolysis!! You cannot burn fat if you are eating all day!

Now, I am back to thinking about when I was the leanest. About 5 years ago when I was finishing college, but why? Because I only ate 1-2 meals a day! That's right and when you see the logic you will see the light always and realize that another scam has been perpetuated upon all of us in order to cell meal replacements. When did all these 5-6 meals a day really start to hit. When those meal replacements became all the rage. Throw them out because you don't need them anymore!!

We will start our diet in the morning. The night before we replenished all our carbs before going to sleep. It is morning and we wake up and our body is in what mode? Fat burning mode!!! The first thing you usually learn is that if you want to burn the most fat off with aerobics you do it in the morning before you eat. Since we are in fat burning mode why would we want to ruin it with food that would raise insulin? And for what? What exercise are you going to do which you are going to need all that energy for? Remember you are fully carbed from last night. If you are fully carbed up and you eat carbohydrates then where are the carbs going? They can't go to muscle so they are going to FAT! Your morning meal makes you fatter!! So what do we do? You most likely are going to sit in a car and go sit in an office for 8 hours or so. The only thing which needs sugar is your brain and it doesn't need much. To keep in and enhance the fat burning you are going to drink coffee and take an ephedrine or PPA and add some yohimbine. The coffee suppresses blood sugar and the E and Y and PPA cause a release of noradrenaline which is a potent fat burning hormone. If you get hungry you can have a protein drink, but no sugar. Fructose goes to fat automatically and the protein keeps the glycogen level up which is another fat burner. You don't want too much protein, though or that can go to sugar which is going to go to fat, as well.

What do I do for lunch? You want to stay in fat burning mode right? First let's look at what others recommend. Eat your largest meal at lunch! Absolutely and totally wrong. What happens about an hour later. You are so tired from the insulin that you can hardly think and it takes all you can do to stay awake. Not only that, but all the carbs you ate are going to fat! What did you do to deplete the liver or muscle of carbs from the morning until now? NOTHING. You sat at your desk and maybe walked across the street to buy lunch. Your muscles need nothing so it all goes to fat and you ruined your fat burning as well with the insulin from the meal. You eat a light low glycemic high fat meal, like a salad for lunch and have some more ECY and maybe another protein drink. 2 hours - 45 minutes before you are going to work out you eat a low glycemic meal like oatmeal or an apple.

This is scientifically proven to improve performance and will help you burn more fat. You workout and then you get to eat! Your muscles are primed for growth and now you want the insulin to be spiked so you get more glucose and AA's into them. We also know that most if not all of the recovery substrates need to be supplied to the muscle in a two hour window and then again before 6 hours.

Immediately after your workout you consume up to 400 calories in a glucose/protein drink. 2 hours later you hit the damaged muscle again with your regular meal. Your muscles are now loaded with glucose and protein and they are waiting for you to take some ghb and go to bed so they can get some GH.

That's it!. No BS. No pain. Look at it again. You are all carbed up. In the morning you are in or near ketosis and you want to keep it there. Eating would ruin it so you don't eat and besides, the insulin and carbs from the meal have nowhere to go so any calories would just go to fat. You don't do anything strenuous in the morning so you don't eat a high carb lunch which keeps you in ketosis.

Eat a low glycemic meal 45 minutes before your workout. The time to eat and recover is AFTER you have worked out and that is when and how you do it. Simple carbs and protein and then your meal. Sleep. No expensive powders or pills or special foods. Can't get much simpler.

This is now copyrighted material and I am serving notice that this cannot be reprinted, or posted, without my permission. Do it and I sue ya!

There are supplements and steps to follow to get the most out of your thyroid and liver, but that will be later. If you have something to say about this being wrong then get some science to prove it or shut up. Just as I had science to expose the fallacies of ketogenic diets, I also have all the science to back this up.

The Science:

Study performed by Taylor and colleagues.

Following ingestion of a test meal consisting of cereal, skim milk, scrambled eggs, French toast, apple juice, and a milk shake [200 g (60% or 800 calories) carbohydrate, 45 g (21% fat or 405 calories), 80 g (19% or 320 calories) protein; 1,914 kcall] [The total calories and the breakdown of the intake is wrong because my scanner screwed it up and I don't have the original] by healthy subjects, muscle glycogen concentration did not start to rise until 1-2 hours after eating, and the increase was not statistically significant until 3 hours after eating. Seven hours following the meal, plasma insulin levels were still elevated threefold. Four hours following the meal, muscle glycogen began to fall, suggesting a flux of excess carbon out of the muscle and into storage as triglycerides (fat).

Another argument for Animalobolics! I had been looking for this entry into my comp for 2 years and though I don't have the entire study, that last line is significant. This was a mixed meal containing fat. This is not what you want to do after a workout. Look how long it took glycogen levels in the muscle to rise. 1-2 hours and it wasn't important until 3 hours. You need no fat and simple carbs with protein after a workout. Seven hours following the meal, plasma insulin levels were still elevated threefold. Let's see, you want to eat small meals all day, still? The point is that eating mixed meals gets your insulin up and keeps it up for a long time. Hell, by 7 hours many would have eaten 2 more times and that would push your insulin up even higher and longer. Remember, if insulin is present, fat burning is negative! The magical last line!!! Four hours following the meal, muscle glycogen began to fall, suggesting a flux of excess carbon out of the muscle and into storage as triglycerides (fat).

This is a main point of Animalobolics and why you only have carbs after your workout. Why? Because you carbed up AFTER the workout when it is most important and any further influx of carbs is going to leak out of a fully carbed up muscle and go to fat.

Again, I will give you the basics and most of you can figure out the rest. Base calorie should be figured out at 10-12 x your wt in lbs. All caloric intake is worked out by going backwards from your post workout meal. For that meal you take in 1g carbs for every 1k bodyweight. Now, you also take 1g whey or soy protein for every 2.5g of carbs that you just figured out. Do this immediately and 1-2 hours later. Subtract those numbers from your total caloric intake to see how much else you can eat for your other meals.

200lb man x 12 = 2400 calories. 200/2.2 = 90KG.

90KG = 90g carbs after workout.

90/2.5 = 36g protein.

90g carbohydrates = 360 cal.

36g protein = 145 cal protein.

Total immediate intake is 505 calories.

If you do that regimen 1-2 hours later you will then have 1010calories.

2400 base - workout meals = 1390 calories left to eat for the next 24 hours. (Almost 3 Big Macs) and if you can't make it through the day on those calories I don't know what to tell you) I'll tell you that with all that protein it is hard to eat after those 2 postworkout meals.

ALL YOUR SUBSEQUENT MEALS ARE GOING TO BE NO GLYCEMIC MEALS! Except for 2-3 doses of 200calories worth of fruit for a total of 400-500calories in carbs to keep your liver converting T4-T3. 200 in the morning 100cal or so at lunch and 100-200 at 2hrs before your next workout. 1390 - 500 calories leaves you with 890. If you are taking 1g protein per lb which I find very hard to do, that is 200g protein and 800 calories. You already have taken in 72g protein for 288 calories. From morning until your next workout you then need to get 128 g protein or 512 more calories in protein. That leaves you with only 378 calories in fat which is 42g. Just make sure you eat whey protein and eggs in the morning, then you can eat chicken or tuna salad for lunch.

Animalbolics FAQ:

Q: How do you keep from loosing muscle mass while on this diet? And do you stay on it until you are happy with BF% or do you come of for one or two days a week or what? Is this a good diet to run with a cutting cycle.

A: How do you keep from loosing muscle mass while on this diet? I'll let you answer this for yourself. All protein requirements are met as are carb requirements during the postworkout meals. As long as those are met, how are you going to lose muscle? (you can't and constant supply of insulin has NOTHING to do with maintaining muscle as AA's have their own transport system which ARE NOT affected by insulin. And do you stay on it until you are happy with BF% or do you come of for one or two days a week or what? Most people break diets on weekends, anyhow. Watch the alcohol as that seems to screw it up the most.

Q: Was wondering how you might modify this diet for a lunch time workout. I'm half a block from my gym and can take a 90 min lunch break. This is very convenient and lets me have my nights free. Also, the weight room is always damn near empty at lunch, which lets me super-set and crank up my workout tempo. Mean while, the evening crowds are sooo bad I'd be lucky to even find a weight let a lone lift it...
I'm not trying to compete or anything, but my BF as been a big concern over the last - (YES) - 4 to 5 years.

A: Here's my sense of how to do it. Just eat the protein/glucose drinks right after and 2hrs after your workout. The rest of your meals, make them low/no glycemic. There's nothing magical about working out at night. In animal's example using a PM workout, the person spends most of the day burning bodyfat before the workout. You spend less time in that EC + PPA + yohimbine fat burning at rest state during the day, but you have more hours later in the day where you reenter that state. Like, you go back to the low insulin meals later in the day, whereas the evening workout person, doesn't hit that point of low insulin fat burning till some hrs after his last shake. And he may not even eat again till the next day, the shakes being his last food. If you work out midday you will eat probably 1-2 more times. Look at the overall concept.....low/no insulin meals, then hi glycemic + protein right after and 2hrs after workout. It doesn't really matter when this happens as long as you keep the carbs to post workout. It may be a little better to have a workout later in the day, to have more hours during the day on thermogenic supplements, since if you do a midday workout, you might not be ready to take more ephedrine and caffeine later in the day. That's the only downside I can see.

Conclusion:

So there it is. Animalbolics straight from the man. I would like to thank Animal for allowing me to use his work.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me. Also I'd like to hear any feedback you have about this whole diet.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I remember reading this a long time ago and just laughing outloud. I just did again. This guy has absolutely NO CLUE about nutrition. I've never seen more generalities and nutritional facts being distorted. Its just comical. Its 1:26am and I won't even attempt to pick it apart line by line. Maybe tomorrow.

I just love this:

"Hmmm. What diets don't shut down your thyroid? First, what do we know about how the thyroid shuts down when dieting? There are 3 ways; lack of carbohydrate, heat (DNP and external) and DNP binding to T4 protein and excreting it which is actually good, but that is another story."

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
While i don't think it'll work as far as muscle building ;) seems like a nice fatburning idea

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
While i don't think it'll work as far as muscle building ;) seems like a nice fatburning idea
Well sure. He cuts calories and carbohydrates. THe funny thing is his explantion behind it. Its just ridiculous. After reading it I'm all hyped up because I can't beleive he want to patent this. Its unbelievable.

This is another beauty:

"Why not eat 5-6 small meals a day? Because it makes you fat! Now we are going to use the ketogenic authors arguments against them. Insulin does what? It drives glucose and needed nutrients into the cells, including fat cells, AND it stops lipolysis!!!! It stops lipolysis!!!!! If I am eating 5-6 times a day I am going to be stopping lipolysis every single time I eat again because I will get an insulin rise which, can you all say it? Stops lipolysis!! You cannot burn fat if you are eating all day!"

Yeah those meals high in fat and protein really cause a high insulin spike. I guess he hasn't seen the studies proving insulin levels are most stable in a keto diet, and that keto diets have been proven effective for type I diabetics becuase it reduces the amount of insulin needed throughout the day. Accordingly to this guy we should not eat all day in fear of any insulin spike whatsoever. Good Lord.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
the explanation is a little quirky

i think a big hole is also that when muscles are repaired by the body after a workout; they are not finished repairing several hours after the workout; they repair over a 7-14 day period... and thus food should be taken in more steadily (5-6 meals a day)

i'm putting my girlfriend on a 2 meal a day diet with the same low carb idea behind it, etc... gonna see how it works for her

as for me; **** that; i'll take my 5 meals a day; i'd shoot myself if i only ate twice a day; or my stomach would grow a 3rd arm and do the honors itself

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
At least Im not the only one who thinks this is a stupid idea. What his idea comes down to is this: Wanna lose fat?? DONT EAT!!  That's right folks... stop eating....  Talk about shutting down the thyroid?!??  Wooah... eating only once or twice a day is a great way to make your metabolism soar! 

b-boy

Awards
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

hey let me be the first to tell you i was one of those laughing guys too, but im always curious so last year i said phuck it and gave it a try.... well animal got the last laugh on me cause i have never lost so much bodyfat and retained so much strenght in all my freakin life, i have done many keto diets but the way i felt on this diet was just different... i was full of energy and fat just melted off me, so i for one am a firm believer in animalbolics diet.... sorry guys..

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
Animalbollocks. What a fucking crock of horseshit.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Re: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Originally posted by b-boy
hey let me be the first to tell you i was one of those laughing guys too, but im always curious so last year i said phuck it and gave it a try.... well animal got the last laugh on me cause i have never lost so much bodyfat and retained so much strenght in all my freakin life, i have done many keto diets but the way i felt on this diet was just different... i was full of energy and fat just melted off me, so i for one am a firm believer in animalbolics diet.... sorry guys..

no ****?!??  and b-boy is one big mofo guys...let me tell you...  Can you outline your diet?

Thanks

b-boy

Awards
Re: Re: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Originally posted by whosyourdaddy02

no ****?!??  and b-boy is one big mofo guys...let me tell you...  Can you outline your diet?

Thanks

dag that was like last year bro, but there was a spreadsheet that was passed around over at animals board, the spreadsheet kinda laid everything out in calories and and bw. was mainly for the two big post workout meals, these are two large calorie meals and i mean large..

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Re: Re: Re: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

dag that was like last year bro, but there was a spreadsheet that was passed around over at animals board, the spreadsheet kinda laid everything out in calories and and bw. was mainly for the two big post workout meals, these are two large calorie meals and i mean large..
Where you on any gear?

b-boy

Awards
no bobo i was not on any gear, after i had got down to a low bodyfat i started fina and winny.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
no bobo i was not on any gear, after i had got down to a low bodyfat i started fina and winny.
Ok. His diet isn't the worst I've seen but his explanations are. He does incorporate calories and carbs at the most important times so I can give him credit for that. His explanations are still comical. If it worked for you, then go for it. From a nutrutional standpoint its terrible but I've seen stranger things happen.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I have to agree with B-boy. I also used it last year, and really liked it. I kept a lot of muscle and shedded the fat quite well. Workout stamina didnt really drop like it does with keto for me either.

I also like it..sorry bros.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to agree with B-boy. I also used it last year, and really liked it. I kept a lot of muscle and shedded the fat quite well. Workout stamina didnt really drop like it does with keto for me either.

I also like it..sorry bros.
You break my heart wardog...

Its all good! :D

Its the explanations that kill me.

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
I would appreciate if someone who has done this would post their daily diet.  I need to get a better idea of what people are consuming on this thing

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
okay I am with WYD I would like to see a sample of this please. I might try it

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Matthew D
okay I am with WYD I would like to see a sample of this please. I might try it

I'll do it if Matthew does it :D hehehehe, Im mid cutting and might be down with switching things up a bit.....

WYD

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Im friggen confused...I've read it a couple times and I need to see some people's individual diets...  What other boards have information on this?  What was animals board address again?

Thanks

WYD

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Found a diet outline for a 200lb man

My Abolics Diet (~200lbs)

Outline: Protein Carbs Fat Cals
2 Post-workout shakes each at 36 90 0 505
Fruit 0 125 0 500
Remaining Protein 128 0 0 512
Remaining Fat 0 0 42 378
Total: 200 305 42 2400

Meal Food Protein Carbs Fat
Breakfast
~10am 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs 26 0 12
Protein shake 18 1 0
16oz OJ 0 51 0

Lunch
~noon 1 can Tuna 30 0 0
1 Orange 0 17 0

Pre-Workout 16oz OJ 0 51 0
~1:30

Post-Workout #1
~immeadiately after Shake 36 90 0

Post-Workout #2
~1-2hrs later Shake 36 90 0

Dinner 4oz Ground Sirloin 32 0 17
~9:00pm 1oz cheddar 7 0 9
1/2 Potato n/a n/a n/a

Total: 185 300 38
You guys need to understand that the fruit is vital for this diet to work. If you guys can stand mixing a little honey w/ lemon in water that is much better becuase honey is like 95% fructose. The reason for eating this fruit or honey is that fructose is 4x better at getting converted to liver glycogen than glucose is. This is mandatory to keep your liver converting T3 and T4. The reason for eating the potato before bed is to make sure the protein eaten is absorbed slowly over the entire night.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
Found a diet outline for a 200lb man

My Abolics Diet (~200lbs)

Outline: Protein Carbs Fat Cals
2 Post-workout shakes each at 36 90 0 505
Fruit 0 125 0 500
Remaining Protein 128 0 0 512
Remaining Fat 0 0 42 378
Total: 200 305 42 2400

Meal Food Protein Carbs Fat
Breakfast
~10am 3 egg whites and 2 whole eggs 26 0 12
Protein shake 18 1 0
16oz OJ 0 51 0

Lunch
~noon 1 can Tuna 30 0 0
1 Orange 0 17 0

Pre-Workout 16oz OJ 0 51 0
~1:30

Post-Workout #1
~immeadiately after Shake 36 90 0

Post-Workout #2
~1-2hrs later Shake 36 90 0

Dinner 4oz Ground Sirloin 32 0 17
~9:00pm 1oz cheddar 7 0 9
1/2 Potato n/a n/a n/a

Total: 185 300 38
You guys need to understand that the fruit is vital for this diet to work. If you guys can stand mixing a little honey w/ lemon in water that is much better becuase honey is like 95% fructose. The reason for eating this fruit or honey is that fructose is 4x better at getting converted to liver glycogen than glucose is. This is mandatory to keep your liver converting T3 and T4. The reason for eating the potato before bed is to make sure the protein eaten is absorbed slowly over the entire night.
nice post wyd im sorry for the confusion and misinfornmation on chat last night :p

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
When you get down into, the diet itself isn't bad, its just the explanation of how to do it sucks.  I had to sift through a bunch of crap to get that diet plan haha. Essentially, you are still eating breakfast, lunch, pre workout, post workout, dinner, etc... so it turns out to be a decent amount of meals.  The whole thing with the fruit is this.  They want you to get a small amount of fructose throughout the day refill liver glycogen levels while not have a large insulin response.  This is, as they explain it, necessary for keeping T3 levels up.  This can be as simple as getting a glass of OJ, eating an apple, whatever... and should be done at certain times throughout the day.

In the original explanation, it seems to me that he contradicts himself quite a few times.  First he says breakfast is just coffee with some y-hcl, then later, its protein, eggs, etc.  Well, which one is it buddy....   Either way, the diet posted above seems about right for a 200lb dude.  I am going to do some calculations later on and see what else I can come up with.  Either way, I've yet to hear a negative thing by anyone who has tried the diet....

WYD

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Just to give animal some **** ..Here is what Derek from Syntrax had to say on Fructose...hehehe, read this

Fructose is touted by some as a beneficial carbohydrate that has a low glycemic index. Although some tests show it to have a low glycemic index it is far from good for you…believe me. Let me explain! There is more to the story than just glycemic index. I have been doing quite a bit of research on this and have found that sugar levels in and of themselves are not necessarily undesirable. What we want to prevent is high, erratic insulin levels. Not only does this make us feel terrible—lethargic, irritable, etc—but it stimulates our bodies to increase fat production. This is something none of us want! Just so you know that I’m not blowing smoke, let me cite some research on this subject. In a study just published in the American Journal of Physiologicaly, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Japanese researchers looked at what fructose did to insulin levels and insulin resistance. What they found was pretty amazing! To quote them, “Fructose brought about substantial insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia in both lean and obese rats”. Although this was published just this year, it just confirms what we have known for a long time—that a high fructose diet is extremely detrimental on you health. Many, many studies have been done on this over the years and it is the key to figuring out why there are so many fat people currently in the U.S. Because fructose is cheaper and sweeter than sucrose (table sugar), companies have been quickly replacing the sucrose with fructose. Much of the sugar that people consume in the U.S. is fructose! According to this research, fructose causes extremely high insulin levels which will rapidly cause your body to put on adipose tissue. Even worse, fructose causes insulin resistance which will ultimately impair muscle growth! To make matters worse, a great majority of the calories besides fructose that people consume are from maltodextrin! Together, these ominous carbohydrates are doing a good job of ruining people’s health.

Super Tri's

Awards
Hey Guys, I read about this diet too and new b-boy had done it before.

WYD, based on the diet you posted I don't see what he explains in there. I don't understand why he never mentions fruit, but that is what b-boy would eat. Also, he talks about some low gi foods, but i though OJ was high.

Also, he said in the morning you will be carb depleted and should stay like that until you workout, but why then fruit during the day?

my diet this far for cutitng

oatmeal/whey/flax

tuna/olive oil/onions/celery

salad/olive oil/chicken

chicken sandwich

workout

dextrose/whey

meat / carbs

cottage cheese or protein shake

so carbs are in the morning, pre and post workout, what do you guys think? Based on his diet I should scrap the morning carbs and only put it around my workout?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Don't use the explanation given by animal, well, at least for the most part, if you want to try to understand this thing. The easiest explanation, as it was given to me is, Keto throughout the day, then 2 post workout carb meals (1 shake, 1 solid food meal) and thats it. I'm saying screw the fructose idea, I don't think it does anything positive and wardog did not use this in his practice and still was successful.

khafra

Awards
You can effectively be in ketosis half a day at a time? Thought the metabolism took longer to shift than that, an that you'd be eating your skeletal muscle with glyconeogenesis until you did. Am I utterly and entirely mistaken?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
It sure does take longer for me to shift in regards to a keto diet..hehe... nah, The idea is just that you are not consuming carbs throughout the day hehe..

khafra

Awards
So you are burning muscle tissue, but you don't care because you're burning more fat, without the... Shifting difficulty that keto gives you?

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
How did you deduce that one is burning muscle tissue?

khafra

Awards
Maybe I'm mistaken, I thought that when the body started getting low on liver stored glycogen and such, it would start converting amino acids from the muscles, unless the metabolism had converted to using ketones for its primary fuel.
I didn't go around and look up too many articles, but here's something from this site:

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=744&highlight=glyconeogenesis
High intensity weight training and any other highly stressful condition depletes Glutamine stores and increases the need for the Glutamine production. Unfortunately even though
our body can synthesize this amino acid from the other amino acids (glutamic acid, isoleucin and valine) it appears that body's ability to produce Glutamine doesn't replenishes what was lost during intense training or stress...
Some bodybuilders on their low carbohydrate diets also take excess amount of Glutamine preferring to get glucose from non-carbohydrate source (Glutamine can be converted into
glucose by glyconeogenesis process).

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
You are talking about HIIT exercise it seems. Yeah, when your liver glycogen levels are low or depleted while doing HIIT, the body will be forced to resort to both stored aminos and fatty acids to support ATP. This is essentially the debate between High and low/moderate intensity exercise and its role in muscle wasting.

WYD