Keto diet question

1. New Member
    Answers

Keto diet question

So I am on day 6 of a keto diet and have a couple questions

1. The last 2-3 days I have felt very weak at the gym. Strength went down on most of my lifts. I figure it could be due to my glycogen being fully depleted. Is this to be expected in the beginning of the diet?

2. If in fact it is due to full depletion of glycogen, then it would be normal to look a bit smaller/depleted muscle wise correct?

Im taking in about 225 g protein, 160 g fat, and as little carbs as I can (~15g)

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  211 lbs.
    Answers

weakness is to be expected due to a lack of carbs for your type II A&B muscle fibers to use as energy. I don't know if you would notice your muscles being any smaller visually but they might loose that "full" feeling. Which might make you feel like their smaller.
    To get un-naturally big, you gotta do un-natural things

3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Just out of curiosity, are you using keto stix? I remember reading somewhere that your protein intake should be fairly low on keto. Something like excess protein converts into fat.
    Comic Sans makes me feel gangsta

•   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post
    Just out of curiosity, are you using keto stix? I remember reading somewhere that your protein intake should be fairly low on keto. Something like excess protein converts into fat.
    carbs are suppose to be very low, between 30g to 50g carbs a day. until cheat meal once every 7 to 9 days. protein is suppose to be high to maintain muscle.

5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

You are going to feel weaker on keto which means your muscles are glycogen depleted. Remember, you will not enter ketosis until you have depleted your glycogen stores. You may need to adjust your normal training routine around your diet/energy level. I think that is the hardest thing about keto for many people. They can't lift as much as they normally would and give up on it - ego gets in the way of training goals.

The problem with most people's goals is they have too many at one time. For example, wanting to add muscle AND lose bodyfat - which has proven to be a very difficult, if not impossible, goal.

I'm assuming you went on keto to lose bodyfat so don't worry about strength right now. Focus on increasing your reps. in order to deplete glycogen stores while increasing calorie expenditure.

If you still want to lift heavy, you could do a strength lifting day following a carb-up, if you are doing CKD. Just remember that there are other ways to challenge your body besides adding weight to your lifts. For example, starting off with 3 x 15 with 90 seconds rest between sets and working to 15 seconds of rest. Master that and then bump weight.

6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post
    His macros are 37%p, 60%f and 3%c which is the correct range for keto. His protein IS low as a percentage of caloric intake.

7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuperRook View Post
    So I am on day 6 of a keto diet and have a couple questions
    I forgot to mention, you may not be fat adapted yet. Give it 2 weeks and see how you feel.

8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Its been 2 full weeks for me and i feel so weak at yhe gym, like no energy to go running at all. Drink coffee before workout, green tea isnt giving me much of an energy boost. Cant wait till christmas, thats my cheat day

9. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  153 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by phatmike0704 View Post
    Its been 2 full weeks for me and i feel so weak at yhe gym, like no energy to go running at all. Drink coffee before workout, green tea isnt giving me much of an energy boost. Cant wait till christmas, thats my cheat day
    I usually take an energy supplement while on keto, but after the 2-4 day I feel awesome! How is your blood work?

10. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Answers

you must be consuming too many carbs still. your taking in enough carbs to keep you out of ketosis, but not giving you enough energy. get your carbs down to 30g a day.

11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

List your stats., post your diet w/ macros and we can probably help you out a little bit more. Could be not taking in enough calories.

12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Just took a look at your macros on another post. You're taking in roughly 1150 calories a day which is WAY too low for your body weight. Its no wonder you have no energy - you're starving yourself. First, you're taking in 120 grams protein. Unless your lean body mass is 120lbs., you need to bump that up. Get at a minimum 1 gram protein/lb. lean body mass. Next, fill up the rest of your caloric needs with fat. Try that out for 2 weeks and adjust as needed.

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

im gettin blood work done next month when i go in for some xrays on my shoulders. ya, i been low on protein and fats and bumped them today, been eatin a lot of chicken and almonds. i did notice more energy at the gym today and carbs i keep under 20-30grams except yesterday, i went to 40 grams too see if my energy would jump up a bit. so far my results are nice but im guessin theyll be nicer if i up the protein and fats, im down 10lbs and thats after i drop a deuce in the morning
    if blow was characterized as a guy, consider me a homosexual :)

14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

also, i know when u lift weights ur supposed to take a day or 2 off to rest ur muscles. i been running and doin ab workouts since i started this diet and i feel like so dead today. can i take a day off from running or will that effect my results?

15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

also, i know when u lift weights ur supposed to take a day or 2 off to rest ur muscles. i been running and doin ab workouts since i started this diet and i feel like so dead today. can i take a day off from running or will that effect my results?
    Sometimes its best to listen to your body. A day of rest is not going to have any ill effects on your long term goals. You could also just do low intensity cardio, such as walking. Many advocates of keto type diets also advocate low intensity cardio so that you don't burn muscle tissue for fuel. I personally don't like to run and do walking incline treadmill at about 125-130 HR for 45-60 mins. I've had great results with it.

16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

will do thanks a lot

17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Can we eat chicken wings? I mean they got fats and protein. I been craving buffalo wild wings blazin wing or wing stops atomic. Are these ok?

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

well i compared the nutrition facts and the winner is lil caeser's pizza hot wings. 10pc for 5 bucks and there like 5carbs the most. they dont bread there wings so i think thats why, most carbs are comin from the hot sauce. also pizza hut wing street has decent carbs for a keto diet

19. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Can we eat chicken wings? I mean they got fats and protein. I been craving buffalo wild wings blazin wing or wing stops atomic. Are these ok?

yes, just need to make sure the sauce doesn't have to many carbs, but you already know that

20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Another question, should people on this diet exercise at night since ud burn all the calories and fat u ate or it doesnt matter? Like i usually exercise durin the day but if i eat dinner and not run, will that fat store on my body? If anythin, i usually do half hour walks with incline all the way up before i sleep

21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  218 lbs.
    Answers

Another question, should people on this diet exercise at night since ud burn all the calories and fat u ate or it doesnt matter? Like i usually exercise durin the day but if i eat dinner and not run, will that fat store on my body? If anythin, i usually do half hour walks with incline all the way up before i sleep
    Doesnt matter.. dietary fat as well as bodyfat is utilized for energy when in ketosis

Also, not sure if it was addressed but too much protein will knock you out of ketosis through a process called gluconeogenesis

Carb intake should be aimed at 0g. Most of the time you end up getting 30 or more grams without even knowing it.. and one more thing- after 2-3 weeks of keto diet, even if youre doing refeeds, your body adapts and functions more efficiently

22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  184 lbs.
    Answers

Anyone takin ALA? does it really help on carb days

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. quick Keto Diet question
    By wilsmash4food in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM
  2. Keto diet Question
    By cali4life25 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
  3. Question about the keto diet...
    By gregor37 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 09:32 AM
  4. Question regarding Keto diet
    By xosob in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 03:37 PM
  5. Anabolic diet/keto a good diet for me?
    By johnyq in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 10:31 AM