I'm desperate .. cant get my diet right

buckz55

Awards
i'm about 190 .... 18%-20% BF .... been working out for 3 years on and off basically has done nothing but keep me around 180-190 this whole time lol

I REALLY REALLY want to get leaner or drop down to 170 at least....

I workout like 5-6 days a week .... I do the split not full body workouts ..... then after im done lifting I do cardio on the treadmill for about 20 minutes , medium intensity im guessing

So i think i'm doing good with the working out part it's just the diet i can't get right.....

My daily routine usually consists of waking up , going to subway for a tuna sub or boston market and getting turkey , green beans , and sweet potatoes .... then later i go to the gym ..... after the gym I drink a 40G isopure protein drink ..... then for dinner i eat whatever , i just try to avoid bread and high carb stuff.....

Then a few hours after dinner , i have a chocolate muscle milk drink .... which is about 40G protein.....

That is what my daily routine for the past few weeks looks like . I made an effort to cut out all sodas and candy out completely .... except diet sodas.

If you could suggest me anything from boston market or subway that i can eat in replace of going to the store and cooking stuff i'd appreciate it.

thanks

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If i go to subway id rec. the 6 inch wheat turkey breast hold the cheese and mayo. The tuna is terrible, tastes good yes, but terrible for you.

Id personaly stay away from boston market but thats just me. Also if you are wanting to lose weight, eating whatver for dinner just isnt going to work. Try n keep the meat lean and eat veggies.

Also increase your cardio from 20 minutes to 30 minutes.

Hope this helps brother, if you have anymore questions, fire away.

buckz55

Awards
thanks ... so if i maintain my current eating habits .... I won't get down to 170?

What if I just cleaned it up a little more , would that work? like more veggies instead of other stuff

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'm about 190 .... 18%-20% BF .... been working out for 3 years on and off basically has done nothing but keep me around 180-190 this whole time lol

I REALLY REALLY want to get leaner or drop down to 170 at least....

I workout like 5-6 days a week .... I do the split not full body workouts ..... then after im done lifting I do cardio on the treadmill for about 20 minutes , medium intensity im guessing

So i think i'm doing good with the working out part it's just the diet i can't get right.....

My daily routine usually consists of waking up , going to subway for a tuna sub or boston market and getting turkey , green beans , and sweet potatoes .... then later i go to the gym ..... after the gym I drink a 40G isopure protein drink ..... then for dinner i eat whatever , i just try to avoid bread and high carb stuff.....

Then a few hours after dinner , i have a chocolate muscle milk drink .... which is about 40G protein.....

That is what my daily routine for the past few weeks looks like . I made an effort to cut out all sodas and candy out completely .... except diet sodas.

If you could suggest me anything from boston market or subway that i can eat in replace of going to the store and cooking stuff i'd appreciate it.

thanks
I recommend reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss and start applying the principles and advice given for both nutrition and training, because if you've been training for three years and not progressed, then you're not doing something right or you need a change.

And forget about going to Subway or the Boston market for your breakfast - make it at home instead!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks ... so if i maintain my current eating habits .... I won't get down to 170?

What if I just cleaned it up a little more , would that work? like more veggies instead of other stuff
You might, its hard to say for sure.. But eating whatever for dinner just isnt going to work. If you were going to eat whatever for a meal, make it breakfast or earlier in the day not at night.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Let's put it this way: Your NUTRITION is the KEY and PRIMARY factor in determining your success - or lack of - in losing the bodyfat! You can't just do whatever and hope it works. If you are not prepared to do what it takes to get results, then don't complain about your lack of progress.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

buckz55

Awards
Yeah all my life i usually half assed everything that's my problem .... its hard because you can't change that overnight.... i'm trying to change though

You should have seen me before eating wendys , taco bell and pizza everyday ....

If you can give me some tips of what I can buy from the store for now on ,i'd really appreciate it .... please keep it simple though because im no cook lol...thanks

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Muscle milk? Drop that our switch it with the isopure from earlier.... Your downing way too many simple carbs in that right before bed, too much fat too... Isopure is only protein which is exactly what you need at that time while drinking muscle milk after your workout will help replenish depleted glycogen stores as well as give you the needed protein.....

Drop the take out bit man, if your serious about losing weight start cooking your own food, its way better for you and way cheaper.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah all my life i usually half assed everything that's my problem .... its hard because you can't change that overnight.... i'm trying to change though

You should have seen me before eating wendys , taco bell and pizza everyday ....

If you can give me some tips of what I can buy from the store for now on ,i'd really appreciate it .... please keep it simple though because im no cook lol...thanks
Read the article I linked you to in post #4.

buckz55

Awards
Muscle milk? Drop that our switch it with the isopure from earlier.... Your downing way too many simple carbs in that right before bed, too much fat too... Isopure is only protein which is exactly what you need at that time while drinking muscle milk after your workout will help replenish depleted glycogen stores as well as give you the needed protein.....

Drop the take out bit man, if your serious about losing weight start cooking your own food, its way better for you and way cheaper.

yeah i just realized that lol , i'll switch them up and about dropping the take out... I'll go to the store monday and get stuff for the whole week ... got any tips on what to get?

thanks man

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah i just realized that lol , i'll switch them up and about dropping the take out... I'll go to the store monday and get stuff for the whole week ... got any tips on what to get?

thanks man
Chicken breast, tilapia, tuna, lean steak, lean hamburger, eggs. Lots of stuff to get brother thats easy to cook.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established

thanks man
Get a george forman (spell?) Grill.... They are a bachelors best friend, will cook up your food from frozen to cooked in minutes, just sprinkle some LIGHT seasoning on and you're good to go... Plus it drains alot of fat from the meat. And the small grill isn't even that expensive at walmart.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Whole what's on your bread too, no more white bread....

buckz55

Awards
alright so for the past week , this is what my routine has been like:

I wake up ..... mix 4 egg whites with 1 regular egg and eat some fresh fruit (watermelon & strawberries) then like an hour later i go to the gym and lift then do cardio right after for 15-20 minutes

When I get home I have a muscle milk protein shake .... then about an hour later I grill a chicken breast with my new foreman grill .... cook 1 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of broccoli.

then a few hours later I'll grill up some more lean meat and veggies .....before bed i drink an isopure 40G protein drink and thats it ... If i'm hungry I just eat a can of tuna or eat some raw cashews

please tell me when you think .... i'm 188 5'11 and around 18% body fat as of right now

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Do you know what your maintenance calories are or are you just eating random amounts of food? That may be where you want to start the refining process.

buckz55

Awards
Do you know what your maintenance calories are or are you just eating random amounts of food? That may be where you want to start the refining process.
lol yeah just eating randomly .... I try to eat every 2-3 hours though .... does it really matter that much that I keep track of calories?

I just try to stay low-carb throughout the day ... keeping most carbs for the morning and after-workout

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Counting your calories and getting the right ratio of macro-nutrients are not only necessary, they are ESSENTIAL. You won't get where you want to go any other way. Nutrition isn't an art. It's a science.

1ArmMan

1ArmMan

Awards
Counting your calories and getting the right ratio of macro-nutrients are not only necessary, they are ESSENTIAL. You won't get where you want to go any other way. Nutrition isn't an art. It's a science.
What's the best way to find your maintenance calories?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the best way to find your maintenance calories?
The best way is to do 7-day record of EVERYthing you do (and I mean EVERYthing) and then calculate the energy expenditure over those seven days to get an average.

Since this is very UNrealistic for most people to do - not to mention time-consuming and annoying - many just use a Maintenance estimation calculation. There are many calculations and equations you can use - the best ones take into account age, sex, body mass, height, and activity level, since all of these factors play a role in your Maintenance calories. There is a link to a Maintenance estimation equation including all those factors in the article linked to in post #4. DO remember that this is just an ESTIMATION, and you can always adjust your calories week-by-week.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Calories, macros, and all that are important, BUT if you throw out protein shakes, anything from a box or pre-made, fast food, sugary junk food, and JUST eat whole real foods, this is enough for most people to lose weight. Check out intermittent fasting. It works great for a lot of things and really, I haven't seen a compelling argument or proof that eating every 2-3 hours is more effective than eating when you want. I prefer to get almost all of my calories around workout time.

depwned

Awards
I had the same problems as you until recently. I used to say 'I cant pack a lunch and make breakfast in the morning... even though I really want to.' Then I figured some **** out...

Buy PRE-CUT FROZEN veggies. They have a cheap pepper and onion mix, broccolli stir fry, and frozen spinach. I used to buy fresh veggies then throw the **** away 7 days later but not anymore.

Buy BAGGED SALAD. I was like eff that I'm not paying to have my salad in a bag... until I realized if it wasn't easy I wouldn't make it. Sonofabitch I started buying bagged salad and spinach and its great.

If youre on the go like me, cook all your meats at once. Throw the beef and chicken in the oven, like 2lbs of each. Cool that **** then chop it up into ziplocs and toss in the fridge. INSTA-MEAT. Omnomnomnom.

Make FROZEN MEALS. I buy a bunch of fresh veggies, bunch of chicken, bunch of steak, sweet potatoes. Whatever. PRE-COOK THE MEAT TO DONE OR ALMOST DONE or you end up with overcooked veggies when you make it. Chop up that meat, chop up them veggies, into ziploc bags and lay flat into the freezer. Dinner for like 2 weeks done in one hour. Now all I have to do i grab a bag, throw it off some hard **** (the ground if youre badass) to break it up, and into a pan. Season to taste and damn if you aint one healthy mo'.

For lunch pour that salad mix into a container and lots of your insta-meat chicken and steak the night before. Grab some fruit, yogurt, and salad in the morning INSTA LUNCH!!!

For breakfast first goes the frozen peppers and onions, then spinach, a turkey sausage for flavor. Simmer that **** while you mix up 3 eggs and then BOOM OMELETTE (sp?)!! Get some toast if your down with that.

tl;dr buy pre-cut, bagged **** and pack lunch the night before

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol yeah just eating randomly .... I try to eat every 2-3 hours though .... does it really matter that much that I keep track of calories?

I just try to stay low-carb throughout the day ... keeping most carbs for the morning and after-workout
Seriously, your title says "can't get my diet right" but it doesn't even sound like you are trying all that hard. If you can't measure and count portions, as well as track what you eat at restaurants, etc then you won't ever get your diet right.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously, your title says "can't get my diet right" but it doesn't even sound like you are trying all that hard. If you can't measure and count portions, as well as track what you eat at restaurants, etc then you won't ever get your diet right.
He's been given all the information he asked for and needs, but he's not listening - just means that he's not that serious about it, or maybe he thinks that there's a magic pill and somehow it'll happen without him having to put any actual effort in. Good luck on all accounts, because it won't happen!

As I said earlier, buckz55:
Let's put it this way: Your NUTRITION is the KEY and PRIMARY factor in determining your success - or lack of - in losing the bodyfat! You can't just do whatever and hope it works. If you are not prepared to do what it takes to get results, then don't complain about your lack of progress.
There's no such thing as "can't" - it's called WON'T. If you REALLY want something you'll do what it takes to get it!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not everyone will agree,however, I know what's worked for me both aesthetically and with respect to athletic performance. 6 small meals a day, consisting of 2-3 whole meals and 2 meal replacements and 1 meal replacement bar. I've had to go up and down in weight, depending on weight class, but this diet helped me to shed about 20-30lbs in 3 months.

Diet:
Breakfast: Meal Replacement with Fiberteq (from VPX look into it...it's effective)

2 hours later a meal replacement bar (around 500 calories)

2.5 hours later chicken or steak salad (Lunch)

2 hours later another bar (500 calories)

2.5 hours later Steak/Chicken something or other

Before Bed...a Casein based shake with Fiberteq

I overdose on fish oil with each meal and I perform fasted cardio 4-5 times a week, it works and it's effective.

You have to lift as much as possible in order to build muscle, that burns more calories than cardio would alone, coupled with a healthy protein/fat based diet and the weight will melt right off. The hardest part is being disciplined and sticking to the meal plan, eventually you get use to it.
Bottom line is you seem content to half-a$$ it, which I understand to a certain extent, since starting anything worthwhile is hard work. Put the work in and I guarantee you'll see measurable results. Most people will won't tell you this as not to discourage you, but your diet must be as close to 100% perfect if you want "measurable" results.

buckz55

Awards
I really do appreciate all the tips and stuff ...... I will def. start keeping track ....

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
If you have an I phone or I pod touch there is an app called loose it. It is how I track my diet. It works awesome since I eat similar foods every day I have portions and macros for the foods I eat. You put the nutritional info in once and it is stored to " my foods". It has changed my progress greatly. Yeah I got ripped from an I phone app. (joke)

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
If you have an I phone or I pod touch there is an app called loose it. It is how I track my diet. It works awesome since I eat similar foods every day I have portions and macros for the foods I eat. You put the nutritional info in once and it is stored to " my foods". It has changed my progress greatly. Yeah I got ripped from an I phone app. (joke)
Dude, I don't doubt it for one second. An iPhone app helped me to quit smoking the first time I used it. No sh*t.

buckz55

Awards
yea that sounds great lol ... but i dont got an iphone...I been using the sparkpeople.com tracker ... food facts are not 100% accurate but close enough

buckz55

Awards
quick question .... I'm curious does your face thin out alot as you lose weight? I am 188 pounds ... 18%-19% body fat.... is it normal for this body fat percentage to have a chubby face ... or is it jus baby fat....

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
quick question .... I'm curious does your face thin out alot as you lose weight? I am 188 pounds ... 18%-19% body fat.... is it normal for this body fat percentage to have a chubby face ... or is it jus baby fat....
Yeah, at that body fat you'll still have some chub on the face, but it also has to do with whether your gaining or losing. I'm 195 lbs and about 10% BF and my face is rounder just because I'm eating in surplus every day. When I was cutting, I got comments all the time about my face looking too emaciated and thin. Just keep your goal in mind...

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
Amen to Bionic. If you want serious results, get serious with your planning and preparation. Get the numbers down on paper.

buckz55

Awards
yeah i am not going to stop .... i've had so many temptations so far lol and i avoided all .... Today my work ordered 6 pizzas and 3 boxes of cinnamon sticks and kept asking if i wanted any.... then i got my dad buying publix bakery donuts and cookies for snacks in the house lmao .... im not giving in

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on the individual - some people's faces get gaunt before their body loses a lot of fat, and some people's faces don't change a whole lot when they lose fat. Your nutrition will also have some part in this, as if you eat food you are sensitive or have allergies to, then your face is going to get puffy and appear fatter than it is - mine does this when I eat a lot of dairy or wheat, or have excessive amounts of carbohydrates, but a few days of eating right for my body and that puffiness/water is gone. 18-19% bodyfat is getting "fat" for a male, so some "chub" is going to be had on your face.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I've noticed beyond all that rosie mentioned us that some people also have a higher facial water retention.