cardio question? - AnabolicMinds.com

cardio question?

  1. Advanced Member
    liftallday123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    515

    Reputation

    cardio question?


    Hey I have been bulking for the past 3 months and I have put on a solid 10 pounds. I have just currently started today a cutting cycle and my question is how much cardio should be done during a cutting cycle? I usually do the elipticle for 30 mins after weight training. Also just to mention I will be taking a fat burner while on the cycle.

  2. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2367

    Reputation

    you're going to get a bunch of different answers here but at the end of the day what works for you is what you'll need to do e.g. while cutting i keep my cals around the same as when bulking but eat clean and increase cardio, cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and also in the evening 3 times a week...it's alot of trial and error
  3. Advanced Member
    liftallday123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    515

    Reputation

    yeaa im jus curious to see how many cardio sessions i should do a week? I dont have time in the morning to get cardio in so I just hit the elipticle after lifting.
    •   
       

  4. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by liftallday123 View Post
    Hey I have been bulking for the past 3 months and I have put on a solid 10 pounds. I have just currently started today a cutting cycle and my question is how much cardio should be done during a cutting cycle? I usually do the elipticle for 30 mins after weight training. Also just to mention I will be taking a fat burner while on the cycle.
    Honestly, you do NOT have to do any cardio to lose fat (especially if you're already in a caloric deficit)!

    But, as lennoxchi said, "What works for you is what you'll need to do".


    Quote Originally Posted by liftallday123 View Post
    yeaa im jus curious to see how many cardio sessions i should do a week? I dont have time in the morning to get cardio in so I just hit the elipticle after lifting.
    Again, this is entirely up to YOU - if you're not used to doing cardio, then I don't recommend doing a lot; three 20-30 minutes sessions a week is enough, IMO.

    I recommend reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for a little information re cardio for fat loss (and there is another article at the bottom of the page on high intensity versus low intensity cardio for fat loss).
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. New Member
    smark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    57

    Reputation

    I normally go for about 45 minutes on the elliptical, go do a little lifting/toning, then wind down with about 20 minutes on the stairs or the treadmill. I usually alternate cardio & strength training days and take a break on Sundays. Cardio sessions is no less than 30 mins, no more than 60.
  6. Senior Member
    luclyluciano's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,494
    Rep Power
    930

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by smark View Post
    I normally go for about 45 minutes on the elliptical, go do a little lifting/toning, then wind down with about 20 minutes on the stairs or the treadmill. I usually alternate cardio & strength training days and take a break on Sundays. Cardio sessions is no less than 30 mins, no more than 60.
    I agree with this ^^^

    Most pros use 2 cardio sessions per day. A lot depends on metabolism. I hit the stepmill and treadmill (max incline fast walk) for 20 minutes each for total of 40 mins, 5 days a week. I feel 3 days is just maintenance.
  7. Advanced Member
    liftallday123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    515

    Reputation

    if my diet is in check and im lifting hard in the gym is cardio neccessary to get 6 pack of abbs? Ive had them in the past but during my bulk cycle lost them.
  8. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by liftallday123 View Post
    if my diet is in check and im lifting hard in the gym is cardio neccessary to get 6 pack of abbs? Ive had them in the past but during my bulk cycle lost them.
    No, cardio is NOT necessary for fat loss, or to get lean enough to see your 6-pack. NUTRITION is the key to that.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  9. Advanced Member
    D3vildog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    685
    Rep Power
    416

    Reputation

    Rosie is right.

    "Muscles aren't made in the gym, they're made in the Kitchen"

    Someone said that to me once and after they explained in detail, I changed my view on the gym and working out 100%

    i still like cardio, and there are benefits to doing it, but fat loss doesn't mean treadmills and Elliptical for hours. (not that you were, just saying)
  10. Advanced Member
    kingk0ng's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    122329

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    Honestly, you do NOT have to do any cardio to lose fat (especially if you're already in a caloric deficit)!

    But, as lennoxchi said, "What works for you is what you'll need to do".




    Again, this is entirely up to YOU - if you're not used to doing cardio, then I don't recommend doing a lot; three 20-30 minutes sessions a week is enough, IMO.

    I recommend reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for a little information re cardio for fat loss (and there is another article at the bottom of the page on high intensity versus low intensity cardio for fat loss).
    Great post, Rosie.

    As mentioned several times in this thread, cardio is NOT a requirement for fat loss. Infact, cardio should not be thought of as a method of burning fat. It is simply a tool. Cardio is aerobic exercise and intended for heart health.

    If you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to burn fat regardless if you're doing cardio or not.

    3 sessions per week of 15-25 minutes is plenty of it. Just mix it up. I like to do HIIT sometimes, uphill running, 2 mile jogs timing myself, sometimes I'll throw in some boxing or wrestling. As long as I'm exercising my heart I'm doing what my goal is to do.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  11. New Member
    BigSpoon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    53

    Reputation

    To the OP: you said you lost your 6-pack during your bulking cycle. Were you just not eating clean or...?
  12. Advanced Member
    liftallday123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    515

    Reputation

    some days I ate clean and alot of the other days I cheated. I didnt entierly loose my 6 pack it just isnt as defined as it was before.
  13. Advanced Member
    Dizmal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548
    Rep Power
    368

    Reputation

    Rosie is right. I used to do quite a bit of cardio. Now I just upped the intensity in the gym(no greater then 90 sec rest, mostly 60 secs max) and dropped the cardio. I still lift as heavy as ever and I've been losing more fat now than ever.

    Of course I cleaned a lot of carbs from my diet and added more fats. So I think this helps me a lot. But for me the extra intensity and actually timing myself and keeping to the rest times during workouts has paid me back in spades. In muscle growth and fat loss.

    Lift with intensity and keep the diet clean and below maintenance a few days a week and it will come off.
  14. Advanced Member
    timmmah's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    509

    Reputation

    No one has mentioned one very important factor:

    220-ageX70%=target heart rate for fat burn(roughly, depending on body type)


    For me that's 130 bpm. That's VERY important when cutting. Calories burnt during the target zone will be predominately from fat. If you do higher intensity cardio like intervals and get your heart rate higher, you burn more calories, but not as many calories from fat. You could be burning off fat and instead are wasting energy needed for muscle (1500 extra calories for every extra 10 pounds, I think). So, you bulked on muscle and to help keep it on: lower that heart rate to target range and spend more time, like an hour instead of 30 min.

    A caloric deficit will of course help you lose weight, but with proper cardio sessions you maximize fat burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....
  15. Senior Member
    luclyluciano's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,494
    Rep Power
    930

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kingk0ng View Post
    Great post, Rosie.

    As mentioned several times in this thread, cardio is NOT a requirement for fat loss. Infact, cardio should not be thought of as a method of burning fat. It is simply a tool. Cardio is aerobic exercise and intended for heart health.

    If you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to burn fat regardless if you're doing cardio or not.

    3 sessions per week of 15-25 minutes is plenty of it. Just mix it up. I like to do HIIT sometimes, uphill running, 2 mile jogs timing myself, sometimes I'll throw in some boxing or wrestling. As long as I'm exercising my heart I'm doing what my goal is to do.
    I agree, caloric deficit will burn fat but won't you lose size and muscle along with the fat? Isn't this why the pros do cardio as much as 2 times daily when cutting for a show while cutting carbs and upping protein?
  16. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    I agree, caloric deficit will burn fat but won't you lose size and muscle along with the fat? Isn't this why the pros do cardio as much as 2 times daily when cutting for a show while cutting carbs and upping protein?
    You will lose body mass, yes, when you lose fat, because you are losing fat mass, but the only size you will lose if you lose FAT is the size caused by the fat. Muscle mass does NOT have to be lost, and the PRIMARY aim of cutting should be to MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT MUSCLE MASS.

    Everyone does things differently, and the Pros don't always do things the most sensibly, either. In fact, you'll notice that a lot of them do not stay in a perpetual caloric deficit when cutting for a show, but calorie/carbohydrate cycle, which is the best nutrition/diet method for effective and successful fat loss.

    On another note, cutting carbohydrates and upping protein does not mean that one will maintain their muscle mass and only lose fat if they stay in a caloric DEFICIT. It also depend on the deficit and how long one is on one, as well as a host of other factors when it comes to what ratio of fat:muscle/lean mass is lost.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  17. Senior Member
    luclyluciano's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,494
    Rep Power
    930

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    You will lose body mass, yes, when you lose fat, because you are losing fat mass, but the only size you will lose if you lose FAT is the size caused by the fat. Muscle mass does NOT have to be lost, and the PRIMARY aim of cutting should be to MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT MUSCLE MASS.

    Everyone does things differently, and the Pros don't always do things the most sensibly, either. In fact, you'll notice that a lot of them do not stay in a perpetual caloric deficit when cutting for a show, but calorie/carbohydrate cycle, which is the best nutrition/diet method for effective and successful fat loss.

    On another note, cutting carbohydrates and upping protein does not mean that one will maintain their muscle mass and only lose fat if they stay in a caloric DEFICIT. It also depend on the deficit and how long one is on one, as well as a host of other factors when it comes to what ratio of fat:muscle/lean mass is lost.
    I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. Yes, calorie defict thru diet will cut fat and weight but I feel most resort to this because it's the fastest and easier of two methods. Let's not forget cardio creates a calorie deficit in a good and healthy way by reving up your metabolizm. (Assuming of course one eats clean)
  18. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by timmmah View Post
    No one has mentioned one very important factor:

    220-ageX70%=target heart rate for fat burn(roughly, depending on body type)


    For me that's 130 bpm. That's VERY important when cutting. Calories burnt during the target zone will be predominately from fat. If you do higher intensity cardio like intervals and get your heart rate higher, you burn more calories, but not as many calories from fat. You could be burning off fat and instead are wasting energy needed for muscle (1500 extra calories for every extra 10 pounds, I think). So, you bulked on muscle and to help keep it on: lower that heart rate to target range and spend more time, like an hour instead of 30 min.

    A caloric deficit will of course help you lose weight, but with proper cardio sessions you maximize fat burn.
    Completely disagree here. As my article The 3 Keys to Fat Loss mentions:
    "High intensity cardio is better than low intensity cardio for fat loss. Forget about the ‘Fat Burning Zone’; it does not matter what fuel you use during cardio, as your body will burn other substrates during the rest of the day (i.e. if you burn fat during cardio it will use CHO the rest of the day, and vice versa) (Norton, 2005)."

    HIGH intensity cardio is far more efficient and effective for fat loss, and no, you do NOT "waste energy needed for muscle", especially if your nutrition is correct for fat loss for you.


    Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. Yes, calorie defict thru diet will cut fat and weight but I feel most resort to this because it's the fastest and easier of two methods. Let's not forget cardio creates a calorie deficit in a good and healthy way by reving up your metabolizm. (Assuming of course one eats clean)
    Not sure what you're disagreeing on: That you don't have to lose muscle when cutting, or that cutting carbohydrates and calories whilst upping protein does not mean that you will only lose fat and not muscle - because you can't argue with the truth.

    ANY caloric deficit - whether from dieting or cardio - is going to cut fat and weight. However, faster is NOT better, and dieting by stupidly restricting calories is definitely not easier than simply maintaining your current caloric intake and adding in cardio. And there is certainly NO need to create even more of a caloric deficit through restricting calories AND adding in cardio.

    Do not forget also that you CAN lose fat AND weight by NOT eating clean if you limit your calories - not the best way of doing it either.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  19. New Member
    Carcaya's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    299

    Reputation

    I wouldn't underestimate the difference cardio makes in cutting. It is very important for nutrient delivery and proper fluid mechanics to occur in the body. Out of personal experience, i know of nothing that has revved my metabolism more than a super intense hiit session. Hell, cardio even helps with growth on a bulk via nutrient delivery. I think some people use the 'no cardio' thing as a crutch. Certainly not Rosie though, ya ripped beast.

    To OP, a good 30 minute eliptical session isn't going to roast your muscle, if your diet is in line. It will only help.
  20. Advanced Member
    liftallday123's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    521
    Rep Power
    515

    Reputation

    alot of good info on this page guys. Thanks for the help!!!
  21. Advanced Member
    kingk0ng's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    122329

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Doing an excellent job, Rosie. I completely agree with everything you're saying.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  22. Advanced Member
    ohiostate2827's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    785
    Rep Power
    2825

    Reputation

    i do cardio everyday. 30min or more of walking..works for me
  23. Advanced Member
    RAHHH's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    574
    Rep Power
    348

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by liftallday123 View Post
    Hey I have been bulking for the past 3 months and I have put on a solid 10 pounds. I have just currently started today a cutting cycle and my question is how much cardio should be done during a cutting cycle? I usually do the elipticle for 30 mins after weight training. Also just to mention I will be taking a fat burner while on the cycle.
    diet is the bigger part over cardio or trainning during cut.
    Id say 30-40min cardio 3-4 times a week is decent.
    I would also rec 5-10g BCAAs right before cardio and Post-cardio (or during) to help hold onto muscle.
  24. Advanced Member
    timmmah's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    509

    Reputation

    @ Rosie: I searched through your article trying to dispute the sources of the information you gathered. I failed, I will look more into this idea that Lance Norton has of burning glycogen stores during cardio. Apparently the goal is to trick the body into burning fat during rest periods. Lance is his own experiment and his shreddedness leads me to find him a credible source.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....
  25. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by timmmah View Post
    @ Rosie: I searched through your article trying to dispute the sources of the information you gathered. I failed, I will look more into this idea that Lance Norton has of burning glycogen stores during cardio. Apparently the goal is to trick the body into burning fat during rest periods. Lance is his own experiment and his shreddedness leads me to find him a credible source.
    Thank you
    No, the goal is not to trick the body into burning fat stores during recovery periods. The point is that it does NOT matter of what type of substrate is used DURING cardio - if you use fat (i.e. low intensity), then your body will use glycogen the rest of the day, and if you use glycogen (i.e. high intensity), then your body will use fat.

    I can personally attest to the effects of high intensity cardio - pretty much next to NONE of my cardio is done at less than 80-85% of my maximum heart rate and I have NO issues when I want fat loss (which blows that "target fat burning zone" out of the water). Besides, who wants to spend 40-60 minutes or more doing cardio when they can get more effective results in ~20 minutes?!

    Yes, DOCTOR LAYNE NORTON is a very credible source.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  26. Advanced Member
    timmmah's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    509

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    Yes, DOCTOR LAYNE NORTON is a very credible source.
    On Saturday, August 7, 2010, Norton posts on his website that he is working on his doctorate. So before you get all caps lock on me, know you're source a little better.
    Quote Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    Im not to fond of taking serm's for long periods of time....
  27. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by timmmah View Post
    On Saturday, August 7, 2010, Norton posts on his website that he is working on his doctorate. So before you get all caps lock on me, know you're source a little better.
    He actually HAS his doctorate - I know because I keep in tabs with Layne personally.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  28. Senior Member
    luclyluciano's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,494
    Rep Power
    930

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Carcaya View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the difference cardio makes in cutting. It is very important for nutrient delivery and proper fluid mechanics to occur in the body. Out of personal experience, i know of nothing that has revved my metabolism more than a super intense hiit session. Hell, cardio even helps with growth on a bulk via nutrient delivery. I think some people use the 'no cardio' thing as a crutch. Certainly not Rosie though, ya ripped beast.

    To OP, a good 30 minute eliptical session isn't going to roast your muscle, if your diet is in line. It will only help.
    Good points. Sure one can lose weight thru diet and calorie restriction alone. But why would you want to only restrict calories when the health benefits of cardio far exceeds the negatives. I'd rather see Fat/obease North America doing cario 40 minutes a day than on some unhealthy diet designed to sell books. Which is healthier? Yes you can lose fat wo cardio but it's not smart.
  29. Advanced Member
    kingk0ng's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    122329

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    No, the goal is not to trick the body into burning fat stores during recovery periods. The point is that it does NOT matter of what type of substrate is used DURING cardio - if you use fat (i.e. low intensity), then your body will use glycogen the rest of the day, and if you use glycogen (i.e. high intensity), then your body will use fat.

    I can personally attest to the effects of high intensity cardio - pretty much next to NONE of my cardio is done at less than 80-85% of my maximum heart rate and I have NO issues when I want fat loss (which blows that "target fat burning zone" out of the water). Besides, who wants to spend 40-60 minutes or more doing cardio when they can get more effective results in ~20 minutes?!

    Yes, DOCTOR LAYNE NORTON is a very credible source.
    Great post.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cardio question?
    By Machwon1 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
  2. Question about cardio
    By coldseed in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 10:06 PM
  3. Cardio question
    By zhrutland in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 01:46 AM
  4. Cardio Question!
    By Vipersg123 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-15-2006, 05:22 PM
  5. Cardio Question
    By littlemark in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in