ANY and ALL Opinions Appreciated! Restart the Fat Loss!!

SDSMS

Awards
Hey everyone,

Just a quick background. I started my journey to get fit last August at 6' 3" tall and 296 lbs. I have lost 56 lbs and now weigh 240 lbs. I went from a 42 inch waist to a loose 36 inches. Lately the fat loss has slowed down almost to a halt.

I lift 5 days a week as well as doing 30-45 min of cardio (running, running stairs, biking). I was doing a lower carb diet and just trying to eat really clean foods and keep my carbs complex. Pretty typical and has given me great results.

However, as I mentioned I have seemed to plateau on my weight loss. My goal is to get down to a lean 220 lbs hopefully having a pretty flat stomach (currently its pretty flat just doesnt have the definition I want). What can I do to restart the fat loss and get these last 20 lbs off so I can be ready to go for this next school year? Any and all help is appreciated as all of you on this forum have helped me this last year transform my body and lifestyle!

Thanks!

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
Sorry can't b much help, but just wanted to say congrats and keep fighting

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
What is your current diet and cal expenditure?

Aviad

Aviad

Board Sponsor
Awards
I will offer a few suggestions if I may...

ust a quick background. I started my journey to get fit last August at 6' 3" tall and 296 lbs. I have lost 56 lbs and now weigh 240 lbs. I went from a 42 inch waist to a loose 36 inches. Lately the fat loss has slowed down almost to a halt.
Incredible progress!

I lift 5 days a week as well as doing 30-45 min of cardio (running, running stairs, biking). I was doing a lower carb diet and just trying to eat really clean foods and keep my carbs complex. Pretty typical and has given me great results.
Looks pretty solid. Some may say to do this or do that, however the workout you choose is usually the most effective for you. One thing that is helpful is to post your daily schedule hourly including the time you wake up and go to bed, your supplement dosing, exercise, meals and how you time their consumption in relation to the others.

However, as I mentioned I have seemed to plateau on my weight loss. My goal is to get down to a lean 220 lbs hopefully having a pretty flat stomach (currently its pretty flat just doesnt have the definition I want). What can I do to restart the fat loss and get these last 20 lbs off so I can be ready to go for this next school year? Any and all help is appreciated as all of you on this forum have helped me this last year transform my body and lifestyle!
Most commonly, people plateau because of a stalled metabolism, a stale diet, exercise routine or both. To restart you need to make a change...simple as that. Every suggestion you will receive will simply being changing this or that. It is difficult to suggest things as I am not sure of your daily schedule or exercise/meal/supplementation protocol.

If you are low carbing it you may benefit from weekly or cyclical refeeds depending on your intake of daily carbohydrate. This will cause a jump in metabolism, increase leptin and replenish gylgogen which can be an issue depending on how low your carb intake can be. In addition it will get you out of that diet mentality for a day and allow a slight stress release as restriction is a stressful habit in my opinion.

Also, you can employ the use of a glucose disposal product however I will save that suggestion until I know more about your current situation.

Obviously, we are on Anabolicminds.com so supplementation would be a recommendation once I know more about your current situation. If you take or are thinking of taking any supplements please list them as you will receive a flood of responses and reconsiderations.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Read this, and then let us all know your current diet and what you think you will do. and if this helps at all...

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/157992-thedarkhalfs-guide-keto.html
THIS! I'm using this diet for 12 weeks during my cut cycle. I can't stress how important cheat meals are when you're losing fat. You gotta shock your body, its a machine that adapts to anything over a period of time. You for example, had been carrying excess weight for some time and it became accustomed. It is what it's used to so it will adapt to your dieting to stay like that. So you must shock the body and then continue with the strict regimen. Keep at it, 6 inches off the waist is a big feat!

SDSMS

Awards
Thanks everyone for the responses. When I mentioned low carb, I usually tried to keep the carbs to a small amount and only pre/post workout meals. I never really dialed in the cal intake or macros to the "T" per say. I just kept a clean diet and low cals. This could be something to work on to help get past the plateau. I've wanted to try a keto diet but I was recentyl diagnosed with gastro-pareses which means my stomach takes twice as long (6-8 hrs) to digest a meal then a normal stomach takes (3 hrs). So high fats, raw fruits and veggies, salad, and anything typically hard to digest is out. So it has been a litttle bit of a struggle to adapt a diet to help my stomach condition as well a keep at my fitness goals. So coming up with a new diet plan that will meet both needs is going to be a bit tricky.

A rough schedule of my day (as my hectic life is ever-changing day to day)

9:00 Protein shake and oatmeal (also take supp.'s)
Class
12:00 Turkey or Chicken Sandwich
Class/ Gym (post workout shake after gym)
around 4-5:00 Post workout meal: Chicken or lean steak with rice or pasta (round #2 supp.'s)
7:00 casein protien shake

I generally throw in cardio when I have time between class and long hours of studying. I like doing it first thing in the morning, but it is usually tough to get done. So it generally gets put off till later in the evening when I have a bit more free time.

In terms of supplements:

-fish oil
-green tea
-juice plus ( the best supp. for getting fruits and veggies in since I can no longer eat them)
-joint support
-multi V

As you can see fairly basic. I've recently thought about throwing in an EC stack or some T-2 to boost calorie burning. I've heard these are two very effective fat burners. Any other suggestions are more than welcome too.

Thanks again guys!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
look into hydrowhey, and MCT oils, or oils in general those may be a tad easier to digest then the more solid stuff, and may be good around workout and bed times.

Aviad

Aviad

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've wanted to try a keto diet but I was recentyl diagnosed with gastro-pareses which means my stomach takes twice as long (6-8 hrs) to digest a meal then a normal stomach takes (3 hrs). So high fats, raw fruits and veggies, salad, and anything typically hard to digest is out. So it has been a litttle bit of a struggle to adapt a diet to help my stomach condition as well a keep at my fitness goals. So coming up with a new diet plan that will meet both needs is going to be a bit tricky.
It is truly amazing that you can loose weight based on the restrictions of that condition. So in your case, smaller easily digestible meals are preferable and protein supplements would be ideal in most cases.

9:00 Protein shake and oatmeal (also take supp.'s)
Class
12:00 Turkey or Chicken Sandwich
Class/ Gym (post workout shake after gym)
around 4-5:00 Post workout meal: Chicken or lean steak with rice or pasta (round #2 supp.'s)
7:00 casein protien shake
Nothing really sticks out here as being wrong so I say it looks good. You can omit the starchy carbs for 5 or 6 days out of seven and then refeed on day 7...that is simply a suggestion.

I generally throw in cardio when I have time between class and long hours of studying. I like doing it first thing in the morning, but it is usually tough to get done. So it generally gets put off till later in the evening when I have a bit more free time.
First thing in the morning is ideal as long as the duration is 30 minutes or lower and you have some type of damage control concerning cortisol/muscle breakdown. BCAA's are ideal here, protein may be fine as well depending on the timing.

In terms of supplements:

-fish oil
-green tea
-juice plus ( the best supp. for getting fruits and veggies in since I can no longer eat them)
-joint support
-multi V
Again, I appreciate your effort considering you can't eat some of the healthiest food groups. Make sure your green tea is high in ECGC.

As you can see fairly basic. I've recently thought about throwing in an EC stack or some T-2 to boost calorie burning. I've heard these are two very effective fat burners. Any other suggestions are more than welcome too.
I love how basic this is, complex workouts and expensive supplement stacks don't guarantee success. It is sticking to the basics is where you will find the greatest success. Taking the OEP/T-2 stack would a great move, good price at nutraplanet currently too.

As others have mentioned, a refeed or carb cycling would be a good idea if you reduced your daily carb intake a bit. If you do start the OEP/T-2 stack you will find this will be easier as appetite control is a breeze.

Other than that I see no glaring issues in your daily regime. It is up to you to change something to jump start your progress, whether it be:
  • changing the timing of some meals
  • changing the makeup of the meals in relation to carb intake
  • or simply making a change to your workouts in some way
Not much advice there but your change doesn't have to be complicated or detailed in reaching your goal, just change and try the supplementation listed and you will find more success.