TheDarkHalf's Guide to Keto Dieting

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I constantly see lots of posts regarding Keto dieting so i've taken it upon myself to write a keto dieting guide. I am by no means a master of keto but have keto dieted in the past....but there are some members on this board that are much more experienced with it than myself and I hope that they will hop on this and contribute to anything that I miss

So without further a due...

How to Structure Your Keto Diet

-This is a strictly a no carb diet. Zero means zero! The only acceptable sources of carbs in this diet come from veggies and nuts. Everything else is protein and fat.

-Your macro-nutrient ratio should be 1:1 calorie protein-to-fat ratio based off of your current weight. So lets say I am a 230lb individual. That would mean I would be eating 345g pro (1.5g x 230 x 4 = 1380cal ) and 154g fat (1380/9). I use 1.5g per lb during keto...i wouldn't do more than that but feel free to experiment to your liking.

-The first 14 days have to be super strict. No carbs. This will allow your body to transition over to ketosis. I won't lie...the first couple days will suck. After that it's pretty easy. If you're feeling tired at all....you can drink black coffee. No sugar or additives. You can add creamer if you’d like.

How to Structure Your Cheat Day:

-After the first 14 days you can now introduce a cheat day. This day is best set up for a weekend so you can simply concentrate on eating. Your objective on this day is to eat as many carbs as possible. That being said....you also want to eat as little protein and fat as possible. Just try to eat things that consist of carbs only. This day in itself can be tough just by the shear amount of carbs you can eat (I would often eat close to 1000g of carbs on this day). Just don't worry about pro and fat as it will add up.....but if you can try to keep your fat grams lower than 75g. And you are better off eating higher GI stuff first and transitioning to lower GI stuff later in the day. Eventually you'll get sick of eating fat free sugary $hit and the lower GI stuff will be a relief. I say to not focus as much on protein because we all know carbs are protein sparing.

-You may see a bit of a rebound/bloat after your first cheat day which is okay (i always rebound/bloat after a cheat day, you should, it's normal). Weigh yourself the morning of your cheat. Then weight yourself again the morning of your next cheat. You should be losing at a rate of .5-2lbs per week. However, during the first week you may drop 5-10 lbs from dropping water weight since you're no longer eating carbs. If you don't return to baseline by the time of your next cheat then you're cheating too much and need to turn things down. When your weight loss starts to stall....then that's when you'd also want to look at turning down the 1:1 pro/fat ratio.

How to Setup Your Keto Diet & Cheat Day via crazyfool405

If you aren’t a fan of what’s posted above, here’s another way to set up your keto diet. Crazyfool405 likes to set up his keto diets and cheats as follows...

- Keto requires less protein and more fat. When FIRST starting keto, use your body weight in protein, and remainder of calories in fat for the first three to five days (I usually do three days) and once that happens I feel it’s important to say you don’t really NEED more then 300g protein. Ketones preserve muscle tissue and thus amino acids.
I want to stop this here and tell you my personal body fat rules for cheat days.

Above 15% BF 300g carb meal moderate fat, moderate protein (can be seperated into 3 smaller carb meals if need be. 15-20% carbs pre training, 70% post training (using a weak body part as your training session on that day), then 10-15% post post workout. As soon as you get to 15% BF do 400g carbs using the guidelines above.

-15% BF and lower you add in .8g-1.1g carbs per KG in the form of a refeed ***try and adhere to .8g*** with a DEPLETION DAY. this you MUST split up carb intake.

-On this day I like to take in .8g-1.5g PRO per kg in the form of SHAKES ONLY (due to increased bioavialability and less filling

-Fat on refeed days should be MINIMUM, on just regular carb days from 15% BF and above lower your fat intake by 30g or so or just do not eat fat with that meal.

-I recommend getting under 15% before you do a refeed...anything above 15% should be a cheat meal or split up into smaller meals

-Formula to determine weight gain from a carb up:

Take the number of carbs you are planning to eat and multiply by 4 to get the calories of carbs. Divide that number by 16 then divide that number by 28. The final number approximates the number of pounds you should put on during carb up.

This can be beneficial to know how many carbs to eat if you can't get back to baseline minus 1-2lbs the next week.

Supplementation

-Again, we need to avoid unnecessary sugars. I typically stay away from PreWO products and PostWO drinks that contain carbs. Now some of you may say "Wait TDH, we burn off all that sugar during our lift/cardio session". You know that may be true, but I would rather avoid the possibility of being thrown out of ketosis all together.

-You can also add in coconut oil in beginning phases of keto due to short chain fats + exercise increasing ketone production

-Creatine Mono would be the only creatine I would use (I would take mono with every meal of the cheat day). I would absolutely make use of something like Recompadrol, Glycobol, Pslin, Anabolic Pump, etc on your cheat days. Test booster of your choice is possible as we all want to retain as much strength as possible while being in a caloric deficit (but it's def not necessary).

-Recompadrol has one UNIQUE ingredient that the others don’t contain, and that’s the Garcinia Cambogia 50% HCA, this is important because it INCREASES ketone production! Nutrient Repartitioners also add fuel to the fire in terms of UCP upregulation. This helps you drop more weight and block gluconeogenesis and decrease fat stores/ promote most weight is from fat store loss.

-And of course all your regulars like a multi, EFAs, Protein, multi, etc should be present regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting.

Training

-I can't tell you how to train, but don't expect your strength to be as high as when you are bulking (you're in a caloric deficit). I like to train hard with varying periods of heavy weight, volume, and supersets. I will say though when I am keto my bench press #'s go down...but my squat and deadlift always go up. Just train your @$$ off and do the amount of cardio you need to do and you will get the results you want.

-Cardio should start 3-5x a week at 20 minutes and every 10-14 days add 10 minutes to that time. Once you get to 40-60min of pwo cardio then you can add in morning cardio or another day or two of cardio.

What Do I Do When Weight Loss Stalls?

-As you continue to get leaner, you will need to increase the frequency of your cheats. So instead of doing a cheat day once a week you might have to move it to once every 5 or 6 days. This will have to be a trial and error period just simply because everyone is going to be different. Don't get discouraged! If you're not returning to base line just scale the size of your cheat day down and keep the frequency you desire

-Also, you'll need to re-evaluate your macros! Let’s use the example I used above with the 230lb individual. At the start of the diet we have our macros set up like this:

That would mean I would be eating 345g pro (1.5g x 230 x 4 = 1380cal ) and 154g fat (1380/9). I use 1.5g per lb during keto...I wouldn't do more than that but feel free to experiment to your liking.

-But now I’ve lost 15lbs! So we need to reevaluate... (1.5g Pro x 215 lbs = 322.5g PRO. If you multiply this number by 4 (number of cals in 1 gram of pro), you get 1290 cals from protein. Take 1290/9 (# of cals in 1 g of fat) and you get 143g Fat.
(1290 cal / 9 cal) = 143.3g Fat

-So after losing that 15lbs of weight we are now down to eating 322.5g of PRO and 143g of Fat. Bear in mind that changing your diet should be your last option. This is much different than crazyfool405’s method to keto dieting. If you are following his recommendations, then you do not want to follow what I listed above in this section. Experiment and Do which one that works best for you!

You can keep using either method until you're tired of keto dieting. I wouldn't keto diet for more than 12-16 weeks at a time. After that I'd take a 2-4 week break and then go back on if you aren't happy with where you are at. Some would argue that you can remain on keto forever, and I agree with that. Physiologically speaking your body can definitely handle it. Mentally though, I’m going to get tired of keto dieting and would like to take a break. Ultimately, it’s up to you!

Misc

-You may also want to look into buy keto strips; you can get them at CVS or Walgreens. You pee on them and then turn a shade of purple. Good way to know if you're in ketosis. Some ppl say these strips are bunk...but whatever. They worked for me. Some would argue that this is a bad choice because too much water and stimulants can drown out your reading and can alter the levels.

-Be sure to drink your body weight in water (ounces) and to keep your sodium levels high

-If you’re having problems with your bowel movements pick up some fiber one to add to your shakes/meals in order to keep things moving. You can find this at the grocery store or at CostCo/Sam’s Club as well.

And that's about it folks....suggestions are welcome and thanks for reading.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
hey man when i have time may i make adjustments to this guid based on BF and supplementation ect?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
hey man when i have time may i make adjustments to this guid based on BF and supplementation ect?
Sure man. I welcome things to be added! So long as you clear it with me before you add it...mainly because I'm interested in learning more as well.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yea i was going to qoute then just bold things in your original post

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
yea i was going to qoute then just bold things in your original post
I'm fine with that...if you'd like you can do that and PM it to me and I can add it to the original and give you credit for what you added.

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is a great thread that should be made a sticky once we get a bunch of great info in it. Never Keto dieted but having a resource like this at hand is definitely something I will be looking for when I try it out.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Subbing to this.. May try keto on my cut :)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I think if I did keto on my cut I may get closer to where I wanna be at the end. It's already lookin crazy ;) Ive tried keto before but I was broke as a MF back then and it was hard to keep buying food for it at the time.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think if I did keto on my cut I may get closer to where I wanna be at the end. It's already lookin crazy ;) Ive tried keto before but I was broke as a MF back then and it was hard to keep buying food for it at the time.
wait till you see updates,

keto is nice. i love it, sooo much more energy ALWAYS!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
wait till you see updates,

keto is nice. i love it, sooo much more energy ALWAYS!
To avoid confusion...I added the stuff you had commented on regarding diet and cheat day into a separate section with accrediting your contribution. Anything else that was just an addition to what I had written I added to the main body. It was a struggle at first, but I've gotten things added in a way that I like them now.

SuperRook

Awards
This is good stuff my man. Too many guys asking too many questions about keto

alih92

Awards
TheDarkHalf, you recommend 1.5xBW for protein.

I feel that this is WAY TOO high. With this calculation, most people will be consuming more protein than fat, and we all know protein is not a top priority in keto, atleast it's not more important than fat intake.

I think a 1.5xLBM would be more sufficient.

I'm following this calculation:
Caloric Intake = 10-12 x BW (in pounds).
Protein Intake = 1-1.5 x LBM (BW-BWxBF%)
Fat Intake = Caloric Intake - Protein Intake.

So I came out with 185 x 12 = 2200.
Protein intake = 1.0 x (185-185x.23) = 143, I try to stay above 150g.
Fat Intake = 2200 - (150*4) = 1600/9 = 178g of fat.

What do you think?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established

I feel that this is WAY TOO high. With this calculation, most people will be consuming more protein than fat, and we all know protein is not a top priority in keto, atleast it's not more important than fat intake.

What do you think?
This is covered above under crazyfool's section

You can set it up any way you like. I did it my way and lost 30lbs. At the end of the day it's really going to come down to calories in - calories out. This is just here to help cover the basics of the keto and give people a blueprint to work with.

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff... tried keto once not knowing much about it and was still pretty successful. This diet really works if you do it right. One of the few diets that actually does what it claims to do.

Subbed for future reference. Good read darkhalf and crazyfool

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

What do you think?
depending on your bodyfat.

over 15% go by 1.5 x LBM

under 15% 1.2-1.5x weight.

your intake can be 230-270

jcalvert86

Awards
  • Established
So if i'm at 180lbs 10% b/f I should be doing high carb refeeds every 4 days or so?

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
So if i'm at 180lbs 10% b/f I should be doing high carb refeeds every 4 days or so?
That's going to come down to the person and how quickly you return to baseline...you'll have to play around with it

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Once a week 650 carbs.

50 breakfast/ postworkout. Then depletion workout. Then split up carbs for all meals there after.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
cheat days are refeed days, where a majority of your calories for the day will be from carbs thus replenishing glycogen stores.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cheat days are refeed days, where a majority of your calories for the day will be from carbs thus replenishing glycogen stores.
cheat day is a day where you cheat and eat whatever you want.

Refeed day is meticulous and you eat certain amount of carbs and minimum fat alll day long with protein at a certain level (I like mine from shakes only that day)

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
wouldn't it be beneficial to have a cheat meal during your refeed day (ie, any meal of your choosing like a pizza and then eat clean carbs the rest of the day)? i have not tried keto yet, just going off of what i have read so i am still learning and welcome any advice.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
wouldn't it be beneficial to have a cheat meal during your refeed day (ie, any meal of your choosing like a pizza and then eat clean carbs the rest of the day)? i have not tried keto yet, just going off of what i have read so i am still learning and welcome any advice.
I personally wouldn't do that. There's a reason for it.

Leptin increase, insulin spike (which fat lowers the glycemic load) and t4 conversion to t3

If it aint broke don't fix it

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Is milk a bad idea when you're on a keto diet?

Also, i assume this is chosen by body builders as a ideal diet because it helps retain muscle on a calorie deficient diet?

I guess i've always been curious about Keto dieting but i've never reserached it. Also, my skinny ass won't need to diet any time soon. Most of you probably don't see that as a problem like i do though :p

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Once a week 650 carbs.

50 breakfast/ postworkout. Then depletion workout. Then split up carbs for all meals there after.
If this doesn't work then scale it down killer...just gonna have to tinker with it. Diet is a lot of experimenting.

Also, i assume this is chosen by body builders as a ideal diet because it helps retain muscle on a calorie deficient diet?

I guess i've always been curious about Keto dieting but i've never reserached it. Also, my skinny ass won't need to diet any time soon. Most of you probably don't see that as a problem like i do though :p
I typically don't do dairy when i'm on a diet unless it's a cheat day/refeed

It's only ideal if it works for you....only way to know is to try it. Some BBers like carb cycling. Just depends on how and what their body responds to.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established

As far as milk goes, I drink Almond Breeze. Practically no carbs and bumps fat intake just like eating almonds.

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
As far as milk goes, I drink Almond Breeze. Practically no carbs and bumps fat intake just like eating almonds.
Almond milk isnt "Milk", just what they choose to call it. Real milk - i.e from an animal - is fairly high in carbs for a keto diet.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Almond milk isnt "Milk", just what they choose to call it. Real milk - i.e from an animal - is fairly high in carbs for a keto diet.
I know. That's why I suggested it. Thanks for reiterating it for me.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Someone posted along time ago a formula to estimate how much weight you will gain for carb up. Last year when I did keto for most of the summer, it was pretty accurate to within a pound. Take the number of carbs you are planning to eat and multiply by 4 to get the calories of carbs. Divide that number by 16 then divide that number by 28. The final number approximates the number of pounds you should put on during carb up.

This can be beneficial to know how many carbs to eat if you can't get back to baseline minus 1-2lbs the next week.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Someone posted along time ago a formula to estimate how much weight you will gain for carb up. Last year when I did keto for most of the summer, it was pretty accurate to within a pound. Take the number of carbs you are planning to eat and multiply by 4 to get the calories of carbs. Divide that number by 16 then divide that number by 28. The final number approximates the number of pounds you should put on during carb up.

if someone else can substantiate this claim....I will add it to the guide. Not saying i don't believe you. I might test this out next weekend and report my results.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

That is my formula.

You can do the inverse to get approximate carb amounts

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Just figured I'd throw something in... The day after your refeed day, you may want to try a full body depletion workout. 3 sets of 15 for every body part. Take one minute rests between sets. After you've gone through every body part once with 3x15, start from the beginning and do another 3x15 with one minute rests for every body part.

This will get you back into ketosis much faster than standard workouts. You can actually do this workout two days in a row to ensure you are in ketosis. Then have a cardio only day, then back to your normal routine.

footster

footster

Awards
me and my buddy actually using BODYopous diet...which is similar. We actually bought a blood meter to test are glucose which defiently helps because you would be surprised how hard it is to get to ketosis. Below 50 is in ketosis. Just throwing that out there to help track.

Was also curious if anyone drinks diet soda....bc I drink a lot of that during the diet...is that okay? I know they were saying something about no sugar alchols i didnt think diet soda had those.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
me and my buddy actually using BODYopous diet...which is similar. We actually bought a blood meter to test are glucose which defiently helps because you would be surprised how hard it is to get to ketosis. Below 50 is in ketosis. Just throwing that out there to help track.

Was also curious if anyone drinks diet soda....bc I drink a lot of that during the diet...is that okay? I know they were saying something about no sugar alchols i didnt think diet soda had those.
well in the Atkins book he said is ok use Splenda (Sucralose) and nutrasweet (aspartame)

and you say below 50g of carbs is ketosis and Atkins below 20g and Lyle McDonald until 100g of carbs can go into ketosis

but i need a blood meter too :(

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established

You know I haven't posted in close to a year, but this post made me come out of the shadows.

The audacity of the question is astounding. DIET SODA? You've gotta be kidding me! Come on man....maybe once a week on your cheat day, otherwise I would stay away from it period. Most people I see drinking diet soda are fat and I don't know any pro bbers that drink diet soda on a cut.

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You know I haven't posted in close to a year, but this post made me come out of the shadows.

The audacity of the question is astounding. DIET SODA? You've gotta be kidding me! Come on man....maybe once a week on your cheat day, otherwise I would stay away from it period. Most people I see drinking diet soda are fat and I don't know any pro bbers that drink diet soda on a cut.
Sweet :D

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Caffeine Impairs Sugar Metabolism
Fri Mar 18, 5:21 PM ET Health - Reuters
By Anne Harding

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Caffeine intake makes insulin more resistant to changes in blood sugar levels, Canadian researchers report. This effect was observed both in patients with and those without diabetes and could not be reversed with regular exercise or weight.

But before you throw away your coffee mug -- these results may not apply to the popular caffeinated beverage, the investigators note. In fact, previous research has suggested that drinking coffee may cut the risk of diabetes.

When sugar levels in the blood get too high, insulin is released, which brings the levels back down. With insulin resistance, also known as decreased insulin sensitivity, sugar levels need to get much higher before insulin release is triggered. Over time, this resistance can cause problems and lead to diabetes.

"Through mechanisms that have yet to be firmly established, caffeine attenuates any of the beneficial effects of exercise or weight loss on insulin resistance," Dr. Robert Ross of Queens University in Kingston, Ontario, told Reuters Health.

While the clinical implications remain unclear, Ross added, the findings are a "red flag" for doctors and are particularly important for obese patients and those with diabetes.

Ross and his team evaluated sugar metabolism in 23 men before and after a three-month exercise program. Before and during the exercise program, the men were given caffeine or inactive "placebo." The subjects included eight sedentary lean men, seven obese men with type 2 diabetes, and eight obese men without diabetes.

Before the exercise program, caffeine reduced insulin sensitivity by 33 percent in the lean and obese men and 37 percent in the men with diabetes compared to placebo. After the exercise program, insulin sensitivity fell 23 percent after caffeine intake in the lean men, 26 percent in the obese men, and 36 percent in the diabetic men.

Comparison of the two study phases, showed that exercise did not improve insulin resistance related to caffeine intake.

The findings, published in the medical journal Diabetes Care, seem to contradict recent reports that coffee intake may cut the risk of diabetes, Ross noted. However, coffee contains several other substances that may affect sugar metabolism, such as antioxidants, potassium and magnesium. "When you give somebody caffeine without all of the other substances that are in coffee you have a very different situation," he added.

SOURCE: Diabetes Care, March 2005.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
i've always been a big fan of straight black coffee.....lots of anti-oxidants that you aren't going to find anywhere else. The cocoa bean is pretty awesome

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
LOL I'm guilty of diet soda while on Duchaine's BodyOpus over 10 years ago. I drank one a day and didn't have a problem staying in ketosis. Not saying diet soda is a good thing though, I just like the taste :p

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
LOL I'm guilty of diet soda while on Duchaine's BodyOpus over 10 years ago. I drank one a day and didn't have a problem staying in ketosis. Not saying diet soda is a good thing though, I just like the taste :p
that's also part of the problem with diet soda.....does a really good job of kicking off that sweet tooth

dietsolution

Awards
How can you possibly be able to eat anything you want and actually keep yourself in shape? As crazy as that sound such thing happen to be true! It’s possible to consume anything you want and actually maintain your good shape while doing so. This is primarily the one thing that fascinated me and attracted me to the Diet Solution Program. I personally in no way enjoyed denying my body food for the sake of losing weight.

quickdietprograms dat com/

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
this is a good thread for anyone learn and discuss in a proper manner. NOT SPAM PLEASE