Very lost with weight loss!

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
I'm not sure how to even really go about weight loss, I need help!
To start off I am 6'0", 204 pounds right now.
I've been working out for about 3-4 weeks now, I go to the gym and do vigorous weight training 5 days a week for 30 minutes, and then run for 10 minutes afterwords. About 2 weeks in I lost a total of about 20 pounds just from starting to eat healthy and trying to get fit.
This past week made me kind of sad though in a whole week I didn't lose a pound, I'm using a program on my phone called Lose it! I have it set up for my diet, I take in about 1,000 net calories a day (My calories minus how much I work out in a day) It says I need to eat 1,800 net calories to lose 2 pounds a week.
So technically looking at my calories I take in compared to how much I need to stay at my weight I should have lost 4 pounds this week! I eat healthy, I don't have a set diet plan but I make sure to take in something ever 2-3 hours, and I have a very very low fat intake, my carb intake is not low, but not that high at all!

Can someone help me?

jessta

jessta

Awards
try maybe a carb cycle for 2 weeks, it might just help jump that metabolism into high gear..but im kinda in your same boat. I have platued and it happens..stay positive keep it up, Your doing GREAT. So carb cyceling..100 carbs for 2 days then 1 day 200 carbs, then back down for 2 days of low carbs 100 carbs, then up for 2 days of high carbs. try to keep calories in check also..but carbs for some reason seem to be more of an issue and usually being more aware of them you can loss weight. So fruite for example has alot of carbs, limit it. Just read lables and youll see what im talking about. You may be suprised how many carbs you intake in a day. I was before I was turned onto carb cycling. So i say give it a try and see if it helps. BEST OF LUCK :)

jessta

jessta

Awards
ps if you find my blog..i do have two diets attached, a low carb diet and high carb if you want an idea of what im talking about.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Thank you! It says my weekly average carb intake is 50% of what it should be, but I just read it closely, the daily is always around 150g. Should I try to lower it THAT much? I'm very lost when it comes to counting carbs..

They are all pretty much "Good carbs" I'm not sure if that matters or not though in the end of weight loss.

jessta

jessta

Awards
just for two weeks..then go back to where you were before. Unless your weight shoots back up. Its just a way a shock your metabolism and get the it burner again. Then usually most go back to the same diet. But i dated a body builder who when he was platueing he would do this and it work amazing.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure how to even really go about weight loss, I need help!
To start off I am 6'0", 204 pounds right now.
I've been working out for about 3-4 weeks now, I go to the gym and do vigorous weight training 5 days a week for 30 minutes, and then run for 10 minutes afterwords. About 2 weeks in I lost a total of about 20 pounds just from starting to eat healthy and trying to get fit.
This past week made me kind of sad though in a whole week I didn't lose a pound, I'm using a program on my phone called Lose it! I have it set up for my diet, I take in about 1,000 net calories a day (My calories minus how much I work out in a day) It says I need to eat 1,800 net calories to lose 2 pounds a week.
So technically looking at my calories I take in compared to how much I need to stay at my weight I should have lost 4 pounds this week! I eat healthy, I don't have a set diet plan but I make sure to take in something ever 2-3 hours, and I have a very very low fat intake, my carb intake is not low, but not that high at all!

Can someone help me?

You are looking at this all wrong. Weight loss is not straight line down. It is ups and downs. You might not lose weight for a week then next week drop more than you thought. You are not on a plateau........you are only talking about a week! Quit weighing yourself all the time and work your plan. When you constantly track your progess ie everyday, you are setting yourself up for frustration. Frustration leads to quitting. Just keep working and maintain your diet....I assure you that you will lose your weight. 3 years ago I weighed almost 280 and now I weigh 210.............I just kept going and focused on my plan not daily/weekly results. Good Luck

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
trying to hit a "net calorie" target is too hard, way too many variables with how much you've burned.
join fitday.com and log your diet. post a week of cals and macros. then post up your exact training log. saying you train "hard" isnt helpful if you'd like adequate advice. how some basics too like age, experience, and goals.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Yeah thanks, I know I really didn't hit a plateau because its only been a few weeks of losing weight and I still weigh a lot, I do weigh myself everytime I'm at the gym, but I don't except to see a difference everyday, I just do it for fun. I only really count the weight once a week. We will see, I guess its hard to judge because with such little weight loss food and water can change my weight around a lot, and to top that I don't go the bathroom that often so it usually sits in me longer i guess?

trippn

trippn

Awards
An important concept to remember about dieting/working out is that unless u are in a show or have an upcoming photoshoot, IT'S NOT A RACE. It's about looking better and feeling better.

Btw, weighing yourself every day increases stress. More stress makes it harder to lose weight. I weigh myself once a week.

Keep up the hard work, bro. It will pay off in the long run.

jessta

jessta

Awards
just checking in and wondering how things are going. Did you try anything new and did it help?

gwls

gwls

Awards
  • Established
a voice of some experience, once fat now less fat...

Bro, I agree with what everyone has already said, whether it's carb cycling or weighing yourself - we wall want results, we all USED to weigh ourselves for "FUN" when we walked past a scale and even now that I only weigh in once a week, I still get narked when the scales don't move! Last week I gained a pound and some BF% - but guess what it wasn't my weigh in day, so when weigh in day came I did it anyway expecting the worst... and of course it was down on previous week. Some weeks I lose, some weeks I stay the same, but overall i'm down... it's a journey, not a race and use the mirror and clothes to tell you how you are doing, have faith, keep working out, take pictures and enjoy the changes as they happen...

check out my log and my final review of trifecta and you'll get what I mean... between the start and end of trifecta I lost only 5 pounds, but the recomp is quite visible, and if you look at my latest shots even more changes, but that radical on weight loss. Sometimes it isn't just about moving the weight needle, hell i'm skinnier than i've ever been and I haven't actually shed that much in recent months. (weight wise that is)

Trifecta Final Review

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/lg-sciences/156315-phat-review-trifecta.html

Ongoing Log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/154168-fat-phat-my.html

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I feel like people often over-complicate the process of losing weight. For me, I just make sure i'm eating less than 2000 or less a day. Combined with weight training and cardio 4-6x per week the weight comes off easy.

Cals in - cals out

If you're burning more than you're eating you'll lose. Pretty simple IMO. Just make sure your cals are quality.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
just checking in and wondering how things are going. Did you try anything new and did it help?
Pretty decent, ever since I made this post I think I'm down about 4-5 pounds! I've also been doing Insanity and swimming a lot lately too which seems to help!

I feel like people often over-complicate the process of losing weight. For me, I just make sure i'm eating less than 2000 or less a day. Combined with weight training and cardio 4-6x per week the weight comes off easy.

Cals in - cals out

If you're burning more than you're eating you'll lose. Pretty simple IMO. Just make sure your cals are quality.
Yeah, I understand this, I'm just making sure.. and of course weighing myself is never really accurate for me I'd say because, I don't usually go the bathroom often, and when i weigh myself sometimes I eat a lot, sometimes I have nothing but a little shake considering the scale is at the gym not at my house. it varies a lot, every time. I log my weight in the Lose it app, but only when I feel its probably my correct weight, which can be once a week or once every 2 weeks.

jessta

jessta

Awards
So happy for you. Just keep up and stay positive. Weight is almost like a game..not everything will work for the same people and your own body doesnt always want to respond as it did before, But im glad you found something that works and it is helping you reach your goal :)

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I understand this, I'm just making sure.. and of course weighing myself is never really accurate for me I'd say because, I don't usually go the bathroom often, and when i weigh myself sometimes I eat a lot, sometimes I have nothing but a little shake considering the scale is at the gym not at my house. it varies a lot, every time. I log my weight in the Lose it app, but only when I feel its probably my correct weight, which can be once a week or once every 2 weeks.
I would recommend buying a scale and weighing yourself when your feet hit the floor in the morning.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
I would recommend buying a scale and weighing yourself when your feet hit the floor in the morning.
yeah, I really want to do this. but I really don't want to spend more money, well actually I do but you know what I mean, I already buy all this preworkout and protein stuff ;P

So happy for you. Just keep up and stay positive. Weight is almost like a game..not everything will work for the same people and your own body doesnt always want to respond as it did before, But im glad you found something that works and it is helping you reach your goal :)
haha thanks you gave me the confidence to not just quit after 2 days, like I used to do ;P

jessta

jessta

Awards
Good ..and a scale by the way at walmart.you can get for maybe 20 dollars or under that will work just fine. Im a girl who loves to shop for bargiens..and just cuz its cheap sometimes doesnt mean it wont get the job done.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Good ..and a scale by the way at walmart.you can get for maybe 20 dollars or under that will work just fine. Im a girl who loves to shop for bargiens..and just cuz its cheap sometimes doesnt mean it wont get the job done.
Thanks! I was just at walmart for like the first time ever with my friend last night! scary place, the freezers were all messed up, the coolers with sodas were all leaking. haha but im pretty sure a scale from there is fine. ill go check it out! thanks!! :bigok:

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks! I was just at walmart for like the first time ever with my friend last night! scary place, the freezers were all messed up, the coolers with sodas were all leaking. haha but im pretty sure a scale from there is fine. ill go check it out! thanks!! :bigok:
you can also get a good deal on ebay

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Overcomplicating it by either expecting huge results fast or not seeing results for a short span is silly. drinking an extra quart of water is 2lbs difference. Its easy for my weight to vary as much as 3-4lbs day to day.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Overcomplicating it by either expecting huge results fast or not seeing results for a short span is silly. drinking an extra quart of water is 2lbs difference. Its easy for my weight to vary as much as 3-4lbs day to day.
well yeah, I went to the gym weighed in at 202, after working out, to check how much I lost in water, I was at 199.. the day after I was like 206. lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, so patience, time and consistently following diet/cardio schedule is all that is important, over time it works out.

jessta

jessta

Awards
Ok if it makes you feel any better..8 weeks of carb cycling, heaver weight training..more intense cardio and my weight is the same. 140 and wont budge. Damn it.

hexstatic

Awards
20 lbs in 2 weeks...? is this healthy? that seems to me to be some extreme weight loss... is it all fat? or water and muscle included in the weight that has been lost??

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Ok if it makes you feel any better..8 weeks of carb cycling, heaver weight training..more intense cardio and my weight is the same. 140 and wont budge. Damn it.
140 pounds!! to even lose weight then you're only allowed to eat like 10 calories a day if you dont work out! :| haha

20 lbs in 2 weeks...? is this healthy? that seems to me to be some extreme weight loss... is it all fat? or water and muscle included in the weight that has been lost??
Not sure, it was just my first 20 pounds, as in I never worked out in my life, never watched what I ate... Then jumping to a more stricter 1100 calorie diet with low fat.
I really don't think it was water weight because the scale has been saying 220-225 since like freshmen/sophomore year! lol

jessta

jessta

Awards
ya it sucks being a girl and trying to cute weight..its hard as hell

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya it sucks being a girl and trying to cute weight..its hard as hell
Dang, too bad you hadn't joined here before my last business trip to MN, I would have met you at a gym and worked out with you

jessta

jessta

Awards
well thank you for the offer..i finally found someone that comes with me once a week to spot me..so i can push heaver weights around. Im usually there at 5:30 so workout buddies are hard to find. LOL

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well thank you for the offer..i finally found someone that comes with me once a week to spot me..so i can push heaver weights around. Im usually there at 5:30 so workout buddies are hard to find. LOL
I usually hit my gym between 5am and 6am as well. When I was there in MN, I was doing a strength workout mornings, and cardio in the evenings as I was bored. Some nice food though.

I need to get someone to start spotting me for dumbbell presses, just to help me get them up in the air in the first place now.

jessta

jessta

Awards
Ya truely workout buddies are nice even if you can only find them once and awaile.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Ya truely workout buddies are nice even if you can only find them once and awaile.
Really? I feel weird, probably because I never tried a workout buddy, don't you have to share machines and what not!? I like to constantly be doing something, I guess it would be fine with cardio machines to have someone to keep you going, I started doing insanity though, and i have 2 partners for that :love:

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Really? I feel weird, probably because I never tried a workout buddy, don't you have to share machines and what not!? I like to constantly be doing something, I guess it would be fine with cardio machines to have someone to keep you going, I started doing insanity though, and i have 2 partners for that :love:
Yeah i mean honestly you aren't ever going to TRUE failure unless you have someone there spotting you and pushing you to go beyond your limits.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
Yeah i mean honestly you aren't ever going to TRUE failure unless you have someone there spotting you and pushing you to go beyond your limits.
True, on mondays I have my personal trainer, I usually can push myself now that I know what I can do with him, but he still will push me to points where he will pretty much have to do all the work for me on a bicep curl on like 50 pounds like i shake vigorously. lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dunno, I go to true failure with dumbbell work. I just need a spotter because getting 105lb dbs into the air for flat presses sucks.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I dunno, I go to true failure with dumbbell work. I just need a spotter because getting 105lb dbs into the air for flat presses sucks.
I'll buy that....cause you can drop the dumbbells. But even then I think you're still likely to get a few more reps with a spotter. Just having someone there yelling at me really makes me raise my level lol