intermittent fasting - AnabolicMinds.com

intermittent fasting

  1. New Member
    Shavani's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    69
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    86

    intermittent fasting


    anyone had good success with this method?

  2. Advanced Member
    wedlund6's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    583
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    351

    why would you fast this is a body building forum you need to feed you body fasting will be hard on your health and you will loose muscle. muscle is what burnes fat less muscle less fat burning not a good choice in the long run if you ask me
  3. Senior Member
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1506

    if you want to halt your metabolism and never lose weight, sure go for it.
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    intermittent fasting is a little different, it focus's on an 8 hour feeding window to consume your calories, which is usually post workout, and post post workout, and then one more meal.

    it works quite well, however, i do not use it, i use a different form.

    i would personally take in leucine and lysine, while fasting for muscle anabolism and as ketogenic aminos (which turn to ketones and thus spare muscle tissue)
  5. Banned
    ZamaMan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    938
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    The first 2 responses are the idiots that make bad information and old school wrog body building dogma continue.

    I just started looking into IF and have been on for a week with some good results. I feel nice and actually manage to feel less fuller than trying to spread my diet meals out. It was interesting to see studies that prove that your body does not go catabolic after not eating for 16 hours. And that your body still has aminos to process for 8+ on many meals.

    It seems to have restarted my fat loss again and I love eating 2-3 big meals instead.
    Look up lean gains for more info.
  6. Senior Member
    urbanski's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,195
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1506

    i'd believe what the well-established 265 pounder says above others.....good luck with your fast
  7. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    i'd believe what the 265 pounder says above others.....good luck with your fast
    bro its worth the try, your not consuming anyless calories, you just have a different feeding window.

    its not that bad..
  8. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    768794

    And it raises insulin sensitivity and raises growth hormone levels too. But who would want that?

    I've particularly done it as alternate day fasting myself, stopping eating after 6pm, and then not eating a damn thing till the next day after 6pm so 24 hours of no food, then 24 hours of as much as I cram down my throat and repeat. Worked decently while doing DC first thing in the mornings since that was also every other day, my schedule 6pm till sleep eating whatever, wake up quick meal, workout by 8am, then eat the rest of that day till 6.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. New Member
    patmurray's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    67

    I started IF about 3 weeks ago after researching the leangains website and I am loving it. I'm losing weight, but haven't noticed any strength loss. I typically eat from 1pm to 8pm each day and take some 4:1 BCAA during the morning fast.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,229
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    622645

    IF can be effective for both fat loss and muscle building. But it's cool. Dont be caught up with the latest research on fat loss, meal frequency, meal timing, catabolism, etc.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

  11. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    IF can be effective for both fat loss and muscle building. But it's cool. Dont be caught up with the latest research on fat loss, meal frequency, meal timing, catabolism, etc.
    you think you can post them for us pleeeeeeeeease
  12. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    801

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    And it raises insulin sensitivity and raises growth hormone levels too. But who would want that?
    I am always wary of these claims. As far as insulin sensitivity goes, I don't notice any reduced insulin requirements until about 3 days of sustained calorie reduction.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Royd The Noyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,229
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    622645

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    you think you can post them for us pleeeeeeeeease
    They are all over leangains.com
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

  14. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    i dont frequent that site enough or have time. no biggy man.
  15. New Member
    triton185's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    433
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    367

    Sorry but we tend to make fat loss too complicated. If you are trying to go from 8% to 5% bf then yes, every factor counts. If you are going from 20% + down to 15% or whatever....then it is simple. Lean meats, veges and limited carbs and count your calories......calorie deficit. We get all caught up in the freakin details when very few of us even need to. Just my opinion.
  16. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by triton185 View Post
    Sorry but we tend to make fat loss too complicated. If you are trying to go from 8% to 5% bf then yes, every factor counts. If you are going from 20% + down to 15% or whatever....then it is simple. Lean meats, veges and limited carbs and count your calories......calorie deficit. We get all caught up in the freakin details when very few of us even need to. Just my opinion.
    agreed. after you get to 10% thats when it gets rough.

    trying to get lower becomes an issue and extremely hard to do without sacrificing some mscle and feeling like your starving.

    i do my own type of fasting. but i **** with my body so much it never knows whats going on. so i may have an advantage lol
  17. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    768794

    Quote Originally Posted by triton185 View Post
    If you are going from 20% + down to 15% or whatever....then it is simple. Lean meats, veges and limited carbs and count your calories......calorie deficit.
    honestly in that range you don't even have to limit carbs, just make good carb choices.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  18. New Member
    triton185's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    433
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    367

    I will take it a step farther and say that 90% of the people in this country would lose enough weight to put them in the healthy range on the following diet!

    QUIT EATING A BUNCH OF SH*T..........

    And if truth be known, there are a lot this board who would acheive their longterm goals by following this one rule CONSISTENTLY and for an extended period of time. lol
  19. New Member
    TipTopShape's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    400
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7795

    muslim did that!
  20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    27063

    Some of the principles are sound, and I have implemented them myself, as well as for several other members on this board in my fasted training protocol. In my approach, though, I tend to focus on the period with the highest availability and recrutiment of IMTGs and FFAs for oxidative metabolism, and tailor my training to most efficiently utilize this availability. This is of course in the morning, after nocturnal lipolysis.

    The research on fasted-state training is promising, not only in respects to the availability of oxidative substrates I just mentioned, but also in terms of post-training glycogen resynthesis (in the form of increased expression of glycogen synthase), GLUT4 expression, down-regulation of acetyl-CoA-carboxylase, malonyl-CoA, and the obvious increase in carnitine polmitoyltransferase 1 (the rate-limiting step in the beta-oxidation of fatty acids).

    This being said, many of these changes are the result of skeletal muscle contraction-induced AMPk phosphorylation, so it is difficult to say whether or not an "intermittent fasting" period would derive the same benefit as a transient fasted training period.
  21. New Member
    triton185's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    433
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    367

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Some of the principles are sound, and I have implemented them myself, as well as for several other members on this board in my fasted training protocol. In my approach, though, I tend to focus on the period with the highest availability and recrutiment of IMTGs and FFAs for oxidative metabolism, and tailor my training to most efficiently utilize this availability. This is of course in the morning, after nocturnal lipolysis.

    The research on fasted-state training is promising, not only in respects to the availability of oxidative substrates I just mentioned, but also in terms of post-training glycogen resynthesis (in the form of increased expression of glycogen synthase), GLUT4 expression, down-regulation of acetyl-CoA-carboxylase, malonyl-CoA, and the obvious increase in carnitine polmitoyltransferase 1 (the rate-limiting step in the beta-oxidation of fatty acids).

    This being said, many of these changes are the result of skeletal muscle contraction-induced AMPk phosphorylation, so it is difficult to say whether or not an "intermittent fasting" period would derive the same benefit as a transient fasted training period.

    "My boy is wicked smaat"

    LOL.......dur, all that just flew over my head.
  22. Banned
    ZamaMan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    938
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    I mean to say I have been feeling less hungry now that I have been on IF
  23. New Member
    Shavani's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    69
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    86

    when do you have to plan your work outs, cardio when being on IF? I'd do the 16-8 hours program
  24. New Member
    purelife2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    451
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    19136

    sorry to bump up a old post but is there anymore opinions on this...i was just reading some info about it at leangains..seems kinda difficult to time everything when you have a different schedule every day
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Intermittent Fasting and PowerChews
    By Milas in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
  2. Experiences with Intermittent Fasting
    By adnscmplx in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 11:27 PM
  3. Intermittent Fasting
    By trackstud100m in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
  4. Velocity diet vs Intermittent/Alternating Day Fasting
    By EasyEJL in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in