Sooo yeah, I'm fat. Time for a change

V

vance237

Awards
ARGH!

The time has come for me to admit the fact that I'm completely out of shape and need to make a lifestyle change. I've pretty much let myself go over the past 10 years and it's now affecting every aspect of my life. From my marriage, to my pocketbook, ugh, it's time for a change.

My ultimate goal is to get down to 200-220lbs which on my frame would be very acceptable for me. I'm 6'1" and currently 304lbs. At this point, I'm going to attempt the high protein diet that my personal trainer is recommending. (he's also recommending that I keep a log, hence my posts) I am a complete open book on this, so any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I'll get some pics up when I'm not so embarrassed :(

Workout schedule will be as follows...

Personal trainer Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Cardio Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Ultimate goal is to run a 1/2 marathon by the end of summer as well... nothing like setting the bar high. Cardio will be limited at first as I quit smoking after 16 years only 6 months ago.

Bear with me folks, I have a long way to go, but hopefully I can get there.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck to you its a tough change to make but once you start seeing the results its gonna feel so good. The key to it is as simple as eating a clean solid diet cut out really all that junk food, soda, all that crap eat whole foods like chicken, beef, salmon, get in your veggies and fruit. A good thing to do if your going to be serious about this is to find out what your maintence calories are theres a few ways to do it which you can google i havent done in a while but it has to do with BMR and some other stuff. Once you find out your Maintence calories your going to want to aim for 200-500 calories under maintence and gauge from them if your not losing enough or too much. Your going to want to eat about 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day this keeps your metabolism going now they dont have to be big meals once you find your maintence you can divide them between the meals to your desire.

When it comes to training a personal trainer will help at the begining to motivate and to aid in lifts but once you get a steady understanding from him and this forum id drop him and do it on your own to save some money. Just keep it high intensity push yourself and get cardio in and the pounds will melt away.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
vance it takes allot of guts to do something like this and put it out there for everyone to read. Good luck.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cardio will be limited at first as I quit smoking after 16 years only 6 months ago.
realistically, your weight and overall fitness level will limit you far more than having smoked will.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Congrats on deciding to make the change main thing is to stick with it. Also At you point I wouldn't worry about fancy diets etc. Main thing will be slow calorie reduction and keep working out your metabolism will get higer. I highly recomend fit day or something of the sort so you can keep track of your calorie intake

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
We are here for ya.

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
I give you props for pushing yourself to make the change. I was once 60lbs overweight.
And I had a buddy in H.S. that weighed 275-285 and lost over 100lbs the old fashion way over 4-5 months.

It can be done.. I'm sure everyone on this site is pulling for you.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
good luck brother, I'm here for the ride

thenomad

thenomad

Awards
  • Established
Dood, you can definitely do this! It's hard work and dedication that will help you reach your goals, and I'm sure that you have it in you.

B

bigjeff200

Awards
You can DEF do this!!!!
About 2 and a half years ago I was 235-240 (I'm only 5'8)
Now I am about 175. Believe me If i can do you so can you.
Key is be consistent man but keep pushing it. Your at the right place if you need any advice, some of the posters here know there stuff really well.

good luck!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have opened the door bubba...walk thru it and don't look back. This will take time and dedication but the results wil come if you put the effort in.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was 320 lbs. So personally. These numbers are not at all unrealistic. Its taken me probrably about 2 and a half years to get where i am now(and its not even that great)I mean for me it is. My self esteem had NEVER been higher. But man, the way I figured it out. Take a look at what your doing now. What can you do to make changes. For me it was stop drinking a 12 pack of beer everynight(did this for a good 3-4 years). Get my a$$ up and get outside. I started off slow. Before you knew it, I was jogging everyday, workingout a couple times a week. Weight started coming off. OK. You said it yourself. Its time for change. a million people can say, Hey your a fat F@#K lose weight. But until YOU truly want to do it, That will be the only way for it to happen. So with that said. Best of luck to you brother. Stay strong and keep your head up.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
i'm with ya bro, i'll be following along with ya. i am actually on the fat side myself (5'7 265) and i joined the forums for info and especially motivation. you can do it man and ill keep trying along with you.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My friend, you can do it, just know, one step at a time and keep your head up. We are here for your support

R

reptone

Awards
  • Established
We are all on your side bro. Best of luck to you. It`ll feel SOOOOO good once you start seeing it and have to buy new clothes because what you have now is too big for you. Donate them and keep going.
Of course once you get there you`ll want to do a bulk cycle and get back to the weight you are now but muscle!!!!!!! LOL. Then you`ll be looking for bigger(but very different) clothes. Better get that 2nd job now.

V

vance237

Awards
WOW! All I can say is holy crap, thank you! This support is amazing and is so motivating. I'm totally blown away. Considering where my self esteem is at, this is a huge boost for me. Thanks to you all!!!

So today was a day of lasts. I drank my last soda, pounded my last beer, ate my last 5 Guys cheeseburger, and ate my last french fry. It was also the last time I looked at myself in the mirror and said yuck. I snapped a picture this morning and will post it up in a couple weeks after I get to going. Today was also the last time that I step on the scale and have it read 304.

I'm actually excited, for the first time in a long time. I know this will be tough, and I know it will be a lifestyle change.... hell, I know I'll have to learn to love broccoli! But I can't wait.

Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for the motivation, I won't let you down, or myself down for that matter!

V

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
WOW! All I can say is holy crap, thank you! This support is amazing and is so motivating. I'm totally blown away. Considering where my self esteem is at, this is a huge boost for me. Thanks to you all!!!

So today was a day of lasts. I drank my last soda, pounded my last beer, ate my last 5 Guys cheeseburger, and ate my last french fry. It was also the last time I looked at myself in the mirror and said yuck. I snapped a picture this morning and will post it up in a couple weeks after I get to going. Today was also the last time that I step on the scale and have it read 304.

I'm actually excited, for the first time in a long time. I know this will be tough, and I know it will be a lifestyle change.... hell, I know I'll have to learn to love broccoli! But I can't wait.

Thank you all again from the bottom of my heart for the motivation, I won't let you down, or myself down for that matter!

V
If you need anything let us know. We are here to help.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
You should get the book Master your metabolism by Jillian Michaels. It has allot of good info that will help you get you weight under control.

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
Good luck on your journey. Commit to the process and promise yourself that you will workout 3x per week for a year. At times progress will stall, but in a year you will see such differences that you will have all the motivation needed to continue.

B

bigdognhb

Awards
Good luck bro. Im right where you are. I started about a month and a half ago. I was 310-315. Have made it down to 290ish so far. Just stick with it. This is actually the first time Ive taken starting pics. My Goal is 60 pounds by september and I want to see the before and after pics to motivate me to push even further. Personally (and I think most on here would agree) allow yourself to have something once a week. Weather it be pizza or some sort of food or even a beer. It helps with the mental part of staying motivated

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
Good luck bro. Im right where you are. I started about a month and a half ago. I was 310-315. Have made it down to 290ish so far. Just stick with it. This is actually the first time Ive taken starting pics. My Goal is 60 pounds by september and I want to see the before and after pics to motivate me to push even further. Personally (and I think most on here would agree) allow yourself to have something once a week. Weather it be pizza or some sort of food or even a beer. It helps with the mental part of staying motivated
Good work keep it up.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
looking forward to your posts bro!!! And get the picks up sooner than later. Never be ashamed!!! no one here will judge you. We only want to help!!

Y

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Just keep it simple and take it one step at a time. As suggested find out what your maintenance calories are now. Log your food and see how much you need to maintain your weight for a week. Then you will know where you stand. You don't want to drop your calories too drastically at first because when you hit a wall, you will have to cut out a few more. So leave yourself some working room. You should be able to start with 3-3500 clean calories along with starting o work out and get the ball moving. When you hit a wall, up the intensity of exercise a bit. Then drop 200 cals.

After an extended period of probably 3-4 months on restricted calories your metabolism will start to slow down. So take a couple days and bump your calories back up to kickstart it again. Then every 2 weeks have a cheat meal to reward yourself and bump your calories a bit. Don't go crazy but enough to break the boredom and the slower metabolism. And when you get to 250, your maintenance cals will be lower as well as when you get to 200.

Good luck and welcome tp the board.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
Just keep it simple and take it one step at a time. As suggested find out what your maintenance calories are now. Log your food and see how much you need to maintain your weight for a week. Then you will know where you stand. You don't want to drop your calories too drastically at first because when you hit a wall, you will have to cut out a few more. So leave yourself some working room. You should be able to start with 3-3500 clean calories along with starting o work out and get the ball moving. When you hit a wall, up the intensity of exercise a bit. Then drop 200 cals.

After an extended period of probably 3-4 months on restricted calories your metabolism will start to slow down. So take a couple days and bump your calories back up to kickstart it again. Then every 2 weeks have a cheat meal to reward yourself and bump your calories a bit. Don't go crazy but enough to break the boredom and the slower metabolism. And when you get to 250, your maintenance cals will be lower as well as when you get to 200.

Good luck and welcome tp the board.
Good advice.

V

vance237

Awards
Again, thanks for all the advice, I need all I can get.

So day 1 is in the books, 1 down, a lifetime to go :)

Reflections on today:

1. I can't remember the last time I had this much energy and I didn't have a single cup of coffee!
2. I'm having difficulty feeling full, but yet I'm not starving. So far, I'm just pushing through it, but any advice would help.
3. Broccoli isn't all that bad
4. I'm going to be REALLY sore tomorrow.
5. I don't like burpee's

Standard meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner with snacks in between of EAS protein shakes and 2 handfuls of pistachios.
Breakfast - 2 eggs cooked in EVOO, 2 pieces stone ground wheat toast with light butter, 1 banana, 1 Kashi fiber bar, 1 protein shake.
Lunch - Deli ham on stone ground wheat with low fat swiss and deli mustard, 1 protein shake
Dinner - Post workout protein shake, 1 cup broccoli, 1 chicken breast made with a low fat, low calorie piccata sauce (no breading on chicken, no butter in sauce).

Before bed, I'm going to choke down a casien(sp?) protein shake.

Workout

60 min personal trainer, various exercises focusing on legs and core.

Thoughts on the diet?

I have yet to look up my maint. calories, but it's on the list for tomorrow. I've also gone ahead and gotten a Body Media GoFit device that measures my steps, calories burned and hours slept. Figure it should tell me everything I need to stay on top of things.

Thanks again everyone, looking forward to tomorrow!

V

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
It looks like you are off to a good start. I would cut back on all the shakes and stay with whole foods. Save the shakes for after your workout. Also up your fiber foods they will help you feel fuller. You should have between 35-40 grams of fiber a day.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good stuff man. For your hunger, man, I drank sooo much water in the beginning. Seriously. I would take a bite of food. Chew it like 40-50 times. Then wash it down with water. Every bite, every meal. Its not fun but it helped me start the routine. I then gradually stopped drinking as much water(especialy between bites). Yeah I still drink about a gallon a day. But I dont USE it the way I did. My body just started to want less food at meal times.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
keep up the good work bro

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
I would also stay away form Deli meats. They are high in salt and preservatives. That will slow your fat loss. Stick with one ingredient foods.
Thing to stay away from.
Hydrogenated fats
Refined Grains
High fructose corn syrup
Artificial sweeteners
Artificial preservatives and colors
Glutamates
Soy
Processed Foods

Most of This stuff will produce Estrogen and Progesterone in the body which will make you fat.

Big Rule
If it didn't have a mother or it didn't grow from the ground, don't eat it.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
A thing that can help you stay fuller is instead of having 3 bigger meals have 5-6 smaller meals 2-3 hours apart you can probally browse a couple other weight loss threads to find some good examples of food but not only does this help you feel fuller but it helps raise your metabolism by eating often. You may think you'll get fat from eating 5-6 meals a day but there smaller healthier meals. Just look around and if budget and time permits its the way to go.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
A thing that can help you stay fuller is instead of having 3 bigger meals have 5-6 smaller meals 2-3 hours apart you can probally browse a couple other weight loss threads to find some good examples of food but not only does this help you feel fuller but it helps raise your metabolism by eating often. You may think you'll get fat from eating 5-6 meals a day but there smaller healthier meals. Just look around and if budget and time permits its the way to go.
Good point on the 5-6 smaller meals. A good way to start that is only eat half the meal now and wait 2-3 hours then eat the other half.

V

vance237

Awards
Day 2 in the books.

Reflections:
1. Holy **** was I sore this morning.
2. I'm not nearly as hungry today as I was yesterday.
3. Energy was also very high today, but did experience a crash early afternoon, but not nearly as bad as I used to. I'm attributing it to the coffee this am.
4. I just plain old feel better today. Signed up for a monthly massage today at massage envy, thinking I'm going to use it as a reward for a job well done.

I took the small meal advice and pretty much just grazed all day.

AM-
egg white and turkey bacon on whole wheat muffin
2 banana's
1 eas protein shake after AM cardio
2 handfuls of pistachios
1 20oz cup of coffee
2 Kashi fiber bars

PM-
2 handfuls of pistachios
2 kashi fiber bars
1 banana
1 eas protein shake after PM cardio
1 grilled chicken breast
2 cups mixed veggies
1 cup cottage cheese before bed.

Workout today consisted of 2 30 min sessions of cardio.

How's it look guys?

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
Day 2 in the books.

Reflections:
1. Holy **** was I sore this morning.
2. I'm not nearly as hungry today as I was yesterday.
3. Energy was also very high today, but did experience a crash early afternoon, but not nearly as bad as I used to. I'm attributing it to the coffee this am.
4. I just plain old feel better today. Signed up for a monthly massage today at massage envy, thinking I'm going to use it as a reward for a job well done.

I took the small meal advice and pretty much just grazed all day.

AM-
egg white and turkey bacon on whole wheat muffin
2 banana's
1 eas protein shake after AM cardio
2 handfuls of pistachios
1 20oz cup of coffee
2 Kashi fiber bars

PM-
2 handfuls of pistachios
2 kashi fiber bars
1 banana
1 eas protein shake after PM cardio
1 grilled chicken breast
2 cups mixed veggies
1 cup cottage cheese before bed.

Workout today consisted of 2 30 min sessions of cardio.

How's it look guys?
Looking great. keep it up and you will make it to your goal in no time.

V

vance237

Awards
So I calculated my maint calories...

BMR is 2365.

Does that sound right?

So I should shoot for what, 500 calories below that?

Help!!! :)

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
How old are you?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So I calculated my maint calories...

BMR is 2365.

Does that sound right?

So I should shoot for what, 500 calories below that?

Help!!! :)
well, plain BMR is activityless, as if you slept 24hrs a day. So with reasonable activity and workouts, i'd just go ahead and shoot for that amount of 2400 calories for a few weeks and see how it works. your activity and workouts should set you up with a deficit.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
With age I can give you a real good ball park and I can give you a good idea how much fat, carbs and protein you should be eating.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
The 2365 sounds real low to me. If that is right then I would be getting blood work done.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
Well here is a formula that will get you close.
BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

V

vance237

Awards
Dragon, trying to send you a pm but I need 2 more posts, so here's the first...

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
once you guys hammer it all out, post it here so guys like us can review it. Easy had a great point, Take it to heart.

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
once you guys hammer it all out, post it here so guys like us can review it. Easy had a great point, Take it to heart.
He can post it if he likes. I don't feel it is my place to do so since it was done in PM.

V

vance237

Awards
Hey guys, sorry was out of town for business. Was able to get some cardio in while gone and am going in this afternoon and tomorrow for my workouts. Stepped on the scale this AM and am down 2lbs. Pretty stoked.

Army, I'm going to shoot for 2200 calories/day per Dragon's calculation. I'll give it a shot and see how I feel. Surprisingly I'm not very hungry anymore. I do have some sweet cravings, but nothing really else. So far, I've worked veggies and a ton of fiber into my diet and I'm really feeling good.

I've been using calorie king for my calculations, any other reccomendations?

Also, any ideas on the soreness? I've been eating banana's in the morning and taking advil at night to try and eliviate the soreness in my legs. I don't really mind it too much, makes me feel like I did something....

Dragon93

Dragon93

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, sorry was out of town for business. Was able to get some cardio in while gone and am going in this afternoon and tomorrow for my workouts. Stepped on the scale this AM and am down 2lbs. Pretty stoked.

Army, I'm going to shoot for 2200 calories/day per Dragon's calculation. I'll give it a shot and see how I feel. Surprisingly I'm not very hungry anymore. I do have some sweet cravings, but nothing really else. So far, I've worked veggies and a ton of fiber into my diet and I'm really feeling good.

I've been using calorie king for my calculations, any other reccomendations?

Also, any ideas on the soreness? I've been eating banana's in the morning and taking advil at night to try and eliviate the soreness in my legs. I don't really mind it too much, makes me feel like I did something....
Wow 2 pounds closer. I never used calorie king. I will have to check that out. The soreness will go away after time. I got to think they are getting a 300 pound workout all day. I would limit it to 1 banana a day. They are a fast acting carb. If the legs start hurting too much try doing cardio in a pool. Or use a bike to help take the weight of your joints. Keep up the hard work.