Anabolic Diet Qs

chuebner

Awards
For anyone that has done the anabolic diet or anything similiar I have aquestion for you.

I am currently attempting this diet. Less than 30g carbs, around 200g of good fat and what I thought was around the appropriate right amount of protein. Well, it wasn't until I started logging everything into fitday. That I realized I was getting around 100g more of protein than I should be getting.

Is getting more protein than what I should be getting hinder the processess of what makes this diet work. If my fat amount is in check and I have limited my carbs. Would I be okay to still keep my protein up there?

I used the body weight x 12 = appropriate calories equation and then used the appropriate percentages of what by intake of carbs/protein/fat should be to get the amount of each I should consume.

unc21

unc21

Awards
  • Established
Excess protein shouldnt be an issue, as long at you're taking in 60-65% of your cals from fats. Thats what the usual recommended % is for the AD.

chuebner

Awards
Yeah I def am...the fat and carbs are certainly dialed in...the great thing is...I am getting the excess protein from my pre and post shakes. So it is easy to remove those if it is a must.

Have you tried this yet? I haven't exprienced the crash, everyone talks about...so I thought perhaps the increase in protein could be the culprit.

one8seven

one8seven

Awards
pre an post shakes are fine because you are training during this time, which you will be burning more at that same time... plus I've always said if your body can take the extra protein without issues GIVER!

unc21

unc21

Awards
  • Established
How long have you been doing it? I usually tend to crash around day 5 or 6ish. Ive done it a few times with great results.

chuebner

Awards
Well, I started on the Paleo Diet for a little over a month...then moved to the anabolic diet after i read the anabolic solution by Di Pasquale. So I was on the begining phase, kicked started by the tuna and water cleanse and today is my first carb up.

I think I crashed yesterday....not really sure of the signs, I was def tired...today is my refeed. And I can def feel that tiredness from all the carbs again.

unc21

unc21

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, after the first carb refeed, you definitely feel that carb coma hit lol.

chuebner

Awards
I have yet to feel this carb pump everyone talks about. I am curious how one knows how much carbs they need to injest during the refeed.

Whats your exp on this diet UNC21??

sonicwaste

Awards
For anyone that has done the anabolic diet or anything similiar I have aquestion for you.

I am currently attempting this diet. Less than 30g carbs, around 200g of good fat and what I thought was around the appropriate right amount of protein. Well, it wasn't until I started logging everything into fitday. That I realized I was getting around 100g more of protein than I should be getting.

Is getting more protein than what I should be getting hinder the processess of what makes this diet work. If my fat amount is in check and I have limited my carbs. Would I be okay to still keep my protein up there?

I used the body weight x 12 = appropriate calories equation and then used the appropriate percentages of what by intake of carbs/protein/fat should be to get the amount of each I should consume.
What are your goals? Also what is your body fat %?

chuebner

Awards
Lean up...and keep my strength up...I am not too sure on bf% I have visible veins in traps upper chest and biceps, but have some sweet love handles....which I cannot really even get rid of. This is my attempt to finally get that down.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Couple of points worth thinking about....

1. 100g extra protein will push up your daily cals by 400. Do you really want that?
2. The extra protein can easily be converted into glucose so potentially interfere with using fat as fuel. How much, I'm not sure.

Just to be safe I would keep protein around the recommeded amount.

chuebner

Awards
Yeah thats the thing, I am still with the extra 100g, with in what I am supposed to consume caloriclly

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
If your within your cal target then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Go for it. I've tried it and its my favourite fat loss diet.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Yeah thats the thing, I am still with the extra 100g, with in what I am supposed to consume caloriclly

If you are within your calorie totals, then your fat intake has to be lower than 65% with the extra 100g of protein. It doesn't seem like it would make that much difference but replace the protein with fat and see what happens.

I don't know the exact specifics of the plan you are doing but it seems like a typical keto diet plan. Protein should be about 1g per pound of lean bodyweight no more than 1 1/2g. Without the extra fat, your body is using the protein for energy. You want it to start using the fat instead. For example with my experience I started keto at about 185. Was on about 2000-2200 cals. My protein was about 200 g and with 30 carbs. Rest was fat. Not much happened. Didn't lose much water weight. Then I dropped protein back to 160g and replaced those calories with fat, and BAM. Water weight started falling off which indicates using up stored glycogen and going into ketosis. For every part glycogen, your body holds 2 parts water. So as glycogen is depleted, water weight should go. If its not, you might not be depleting glycogen stores and not actually getting into ketosis. I actually found I could bump my calories about 200 with the extra fat and still lose. So when the time came to lower calories I hd some wiggle room.

Give it a try, drop protein back and up fat but keep the same calorie totals and see what happens.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
If you are within your calorie totals, then your fat intake has to be lower than 65% with the extra 100g of protein. It doesn't seem like it would make that much difference but replace the protein with fat and see what happens.

I don't know the exact specifics of the plan you are doing but it seems like a typical keto diet plan. Protein should be about 1g per pound of lean bodyweight no more than 1 1/2g. Without the extra fat, your body is using the protein for energy. You want it to start using the fat instead. For example with my experience I started keto at about 185. Was on about 2000-2200 cals. My protein was about 200 g and with 30 carbs. Rest was fat. Not much happened. Didn't lose much water weight. Then I dropped protein back to 160g and replaced those calories with fat, and BAM. Water weight started falling off which indicates using up stored glycogen and going into ketosis. For every part glycogen, your body holds 2 parts water. So as glycogen is depleted, water weight should go. If its not, you might not be depleting
glycogen stores and not actually getting into ketosis. I actually found I could bump my calories about 200 with the extra fat and still lose. So when the time came to lower calories I hd some wiggle room.

Give it a try, drop protein back and up fat but keep the same calorie totals and see what happens.
Good advice man! Tried that myself and it worked. Hard to implement mentally, reducing protein but increasing fat to lose fat. But it did work. I was having slightly too much protein and not enough fat.

chuebner

Awards
Thanks man, thats great advice. I had been following a guy who blogs online. And preached keto runs, with as much protein as you can get down. Probably just worked well with him. I am currently 235 and getting around 285 - 300g a day of protein. I will back off a bit. Sucks...b/c everytime I come home my mom has a 5lb bag of protein waiting for me. I have like 25lbs that I haven't even broken into yet...hahha

I will try and cut back on my protein and hit up some more good fat.

I will say I am loosing. I am on week 3 of this diet and should be down to 235. I started at 250.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man, thats great advice. I had been following a guy who blogs online. And preached keto runs, with as much protein as you can get down. Probably just worked well with him. I am currently 235 and getting around 285 - 300g a day of protein. I will back off a bit. Sucks...b/c everytime I come home my mom has a 5lb bag of protein waiting for me. I have like 25lbs that I haven't even broken into yet...hahha

I will try and cut back on my protein and hit up some more good fat.

I will say I am loosing. I am on week 3 of this diet and should be down to 235. I started at 250.
Wow man!! down 15 lbs in three weeks....flippin awesome!! Don't go changing things too much as your losing. Only tinker when you hit a plateau.

chuebner

Awards
Wow man!! down 15 lbs in three weeks....flippin awesome!! Don't go changing things too much as your losing. Only tinker when you hit a plateau.
Thanks man...I fluctuate between 235 and 238 now it seems. I have some clen and think I might throw that into the mix.

The great thing about this diet is that I have not lost any strength. In fact I have become slightly stronger.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Yeah...I going on a very clean bulk in a couple of weeks. Intially I was planning on using t3 and clen for my cut after the bulk, but now I'm thinking I might try USPLabs OEP first and see where that takes me before using something as harsh as a t3/clen combo.

redrocket399

Awards
  • Established
sorry to jack this thread, but I had a question.

I started a week ago and its been great! Ive been doing fasted cardio (cycling) with 20g of bcaa and 1cap of Alpha T2 with 1 cap OEP as pre cardio, for about 30min every morning. its been working great but now im worried about catabolism...
whats your opinion on my protocol? im currently at 9% and tryin to get to 6%.

Thanks everyone

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i wanna try this diet how good is it for keeping muscle while still lossing significant fat? so its like a 200g of good fats, 100g protein and 30 g carbs? someone plaese PM with some info on this plaese