adding in cardio; what kind?

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
ive been bulking lately and lifting HARD 5-6 days a week lately, but doing NO cardio. Well, im putting on more fat than i want to, so ive been considering adding in some cardio... I'm going to continue my 5-6 days a week of intense strength training, but after every lift session im going to do cardio for about 20 mins, and im going to do an additional 30 mins fasted cardio first thing in the morning 3-4 days a week. I want to keep my muscle mass and strength ideally, just looking for a more slender midsection, lower BF% and a little more separation.. so ANY tips or tricks would be helpful!

My questions:
What type of cardio should i be doing for the 20 minutes after i lift?
What type of fasted cardio should i be doing in the morning?

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
Also, every morning and every Post workout i have a protein shake with 3/4 of a cup of oats in it.... Should i cut out the oats in my shake in the morning? Any BASIC advice and tips on how i should take in my carbs would be appreciated as well.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Look into hight intensity interval training (HIIT). It has been shown to actually kick start your metabolism better than sustained cardio for longer periods of time.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
Look into hight intensity interval training (HIIT). It has been shown to actually kick start your metabolism better than sustained cardio for longer periods of time.
I agree with copy cat, to be serious it is the only cardio that I will do. Also, I bought a heavy bag a few weeks ago, and I hit that about 3 or 4 times a week for 5, 3 minute rounds of nonstop punching and I can tell ya its one of the best workouts i've ever had. Keep up the good work and look into HIIT

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to go against the grain and recommend just moderate cardio (~70% MHR) post weights to get the nutrient repartitioning up along with the CV benefits. HIIT isn't technically cardio since it doesn't generally last long enough.

Xpballer

Awards
  • Established
hmm.... basically, what i think im gonna end up doing is 20 minutes HIIT after every weight training session (which is 5-6 nights a week). HIIT is where you set the incline super high and walk for two minutes, then flatten it down and jog/run for two minutes, right???

Along with that, im going to do 30-45 minutes of fasted moderate cardio (what rodja suggested) first thing in the morning, 3-4 days a week. That will basically consist of just jogging on the beach.

Without getting super advanced, does this sound like a decent baseline for now, or is it too much? Do you think ill be able to keep (most) of my muscle mass and drop fat off, supposing im eating decently clean?

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I honestly feel like real cardio is completely a waste of time, unless you are training for a sport where you need to be in shape. If you are just looking to burn fat, and keep your muscle gains I would only do HIIT... As cardio sometimes will make you lose some of your muscle gains, where HIIT won't. Again, everybody is different and listen to your body on what you want to do.

EDIT: HIIT only needs to be done 3x a week so see significant benefits. What I like to do may not even be called HIIT but I just do sprints, usually 50 yards one way dead sprint, walk back and do it again. This is a gruely workout... If you are in great shape you could do 100 yard sprints. Hope this helps, Also hit the heavy bag!!! :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I honestly feel like real cardio is completely a waste of time, unless you are training for a sport where you need to be in shape. If you are just looking to burn fat, and keep your muscle gains I would only do HIIT... As cardio sometimes will make you lose some of your muscle gains, where HIIT won't. Again, everybody is different and listen to your body on what you want to do.

EDIT: HIIT only needs to be done 3x a week so see significant benefits. What I like to do may not even be called HIIT but I just do sprints, usually 50 yards one way dead sprint, walk back and do it again. This is a gruely workout... If you are in great shape you could do 100 yard sprints. Hope this helps, Also hit the heavy bag!!! :)
Your caloric intake determines whether or not you lose LBM, not your choice of cardio and training your heart is never a waste of time.

SamuraiSid

Awards
Also, every morning and every Post workout i have a protein shake with 3/4 of a cup of oats in it.... Should i cut out the oats in my shake in the morning? Any BASIC advice and tips on how i should take in my carbs would be appreciated as well.

Based on your stats, id leave the morning and post-workout shakes alone, as they look good.

After workouts I do 20 minutes on the treadmill. 3mph, 15 degree incline.

Non-workout days I do HIIT.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 1
brandlife Anabolics 27
Anabolics 8
Porky101 Bulking 10
Anabolics 4