Are there any low or medium-GI fruits that taste good with cottage cheese?

  1. Registered User
    Rock Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    Answers
    0

    Are there any low or medium-GI fruits that taste good with cottage cheese?


    I eat pineapples in the 3 hours after my workouts, but are there good tasting low or medium GI fruits to eat with cottage cheese at other times of the day?

  2. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,474
    Answers
    0


    I have read that if you are going to eat fruit, you should consume ONLY fruit, within a half hour of eating it..... meaning if you plan on eating fruit at 6..don't eat anything else until at least 6:30

    reason being that it takes different digestive enzymes to break down fruit, and eating anything else with it will basically make it ferment in your stomach...also it takes about a half hour to pass so after that you are good.

    this came from a book alled "fit for life" I read a while ago..good book actually

    h19
  3. Registered User
    Rock Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    Answers
    0


    That's funny you mention that; whenever my girlfriend's dad eats fruit he's always sure to do so within a 30 minute bracket like you described. I never thought to ask why though.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    DobermanXXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    165
    Answers
    0


    strawberries
  5. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,474
    Answers
    0


    that said though, peaches are good with cottage cheese
  6. PC1
    PC1 is offline
    Registered User
    PC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    367
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    I have read that if you are going to eat fruit, you should consume ONLY fruit, within a half hour of eating it..... meaning if you plan on eating fruit at 6..don't eat anything else until at least 6:30

    reason being that it takes different digestive enzymes to break down fruit, and eating anything else with it will basically make it ferment in your stomach...also it takes about a half hour to pass so after that you are good.

    this came from a book alled "fit for life" I read a while ago..good book actually

    h19
    I actually "did" the fit for life diet several years ago. I was only lifting sporadically at the time, and I actually lived on that diet for almost 2 years.

    Without changing the basic foods I ate, I just changed the order in which I ate them. I would eat fruit, or puree fruit juices in the morning up until 12:00 noon. I wouldn't mix starches with meats. I'd eat starches with vegetables, and I'd eat meat with vegetables. If I ate fruits, I'd wait at least 30 minutes before eating anything else. Starches, at least 1 hour. Meats, I think was 2 or 3 hours.

    The reason behind the diet is, as you say, that different digestive enzymes are required to digest different foods. For example, acidic for meats, alkaline for starches. If you eat starches and meats together, with the digestive enzymes mixing together, the body is less effective at digesting both since the enzymes required neuturalize each other.

    On the surface it sounds logical, but I understand this is now considered "hogwash". I got away from it for that reason, largely because I "read" that was the case.

    I have to tell you though I felt really good when I was doing it. Energy levels were up dramatically. If that was ever in question, all I had to do was eat a starch together with a meat and see how tired and dragged down I felt afterwards by comparison. Really a big difference.

    The one thing it DIDN'T do for me as it promised, was to make me "stronger". I've always been able to push more weight around "miscombining" my meals. However, I think it had more to do with eating fewer protein based meals during a day. It might have been only 1 meal that I ate protein via meats. So that isn't surprising.

    Just talking about this has me thinking I'd like to try this again. I do have some bodyfat I'd like to get rid of and I know this would do it. And again, without changing WHAT I ate during the day, just HOW I ate it, I got really lean. And I'm thinking that if I keep up the protein drinks at least 3-4 times a day I'd be fine and not get catabolic.

    One of the interesting points the book(s) make is that once you've switched over for a week or so, you will look and feel the difference...... and your **** won't smell nearly as bad. Strange as that sounds, it's true. And I think that gives some credence to that theory.

    The books talk about how miscombining foods create more toxins, because it hangs around longer in our intestines.

    Now I don't know if this is true or not, and again, I've seen web sites "debunking" at least some of the claims made in these books. But that said, I do feel from my own experience, that there is something to the idea of eating or not eating foods in combination.

    I might give it another shot. I will tell you though, it's tough to eat a nice juicy steak or piece of chicken WITHOUT having some rice or potato Taste wise, they go well together. BUT you will experience having better energy afterwards if you avoid the combination, of that I have no doubt.
  7. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,474
    Answers
    0


    I think that is the thing, changing how you eat certain things...

    I think if you take what is said in that book, add some protein shakes to the mix it could work...

    personally I would be starving if I just ate fruit from the time I woke up until 12 noon ...I tried it for a while, but I was starving by lunch time..I guess you have to get used to it though...I don't know where my books are. I lent them to my sister when she started getting in shape and haven't seen them since...i should ask her

    h19
  8. Registered User
    Rock Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    Answers
    0


    I thought eating carbs by themselves were bad though.
  9. PC1
    PC1 is offline
    Registered User
    PC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    367
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    I thought eating carbs by themselves were bad though.
    It's not just about carbs by themselves. For example, it would be ok to have a toast with Peanut Butter & honey, and a glass of milk. So you'd have 2 protein sources in the milk/PB combo.

    And there are carbs in vegetables of course. So it's ok (according to the author, Harvey Diamond) to eat vegetables with either meats or starches.

    The main principle of the book is about NOT miscombining food types, and can be summarized as follows:

    1. Don't eat anything with fruit, eat it alone. And wait 30 minutes after eating it before you eat anything else, to give it enough time to get out of your stomach. Because (again, according to Diamond) eating anything else with it causes it to stay too long and it begins to ferment.

    2. Don't eat starches together with meats. Starches require alkaline enzymes to digest, meats require acidic enzymes. And if they're eaten together, all chewed up in a ball sitting in your stomach, how can they be digested well and thus utilized when the acids and alkaline enzymes are being neuturalized by each other.

    3. Milk and dairy products are evil. We're the only animal on the planet that drinks the milk of another animal. It wasn't made for us, and it causes many problems for a lot of people.


    Personally I have never believed in #3, not for any scientific reason, but because it's never bothered my digestive system, and I've grown to be 6'4" tall drinking gallons of it week in and week out. Stands to reason my body has been able to utilize it well.

    There are many other parts of the book that come off as being a bit kooky, admittedly. Kind of new age. A lot of it I didn't bother with. And from what I understand, most "informed" people in the field of nutrition dismiss the books offhand.

    Still, Diamond says that we are the only animal in the planet who eats such a diverse diet, and that while we have a sophisticated digestive system, it wasn't designed to eat such diverse food types ALL AT ONCE.

    Again, without changing what I ate, or how much I ate, I was able to drop a good 10-15 pounds of bodyfat and water from my body. I was very lean, and felt really good. I think he has a valid point in that our bodies do expend more energy trying to digest several different kinds of food simultaneously.

    I think all 1 needs to do to prove this to themselves is to compare the difference in your own energy level 30 minutes after eating a meal.

    Make yourself a chicken dinner with vegetables and a salad and some rice, or bread, or pasta, or some other starch on 1 night. Then on another night, make the same meal only eat the starches and some of the vegetables 2 hours earlier (or before if you prefer).

    Eating all together, one longs for their couch/recliner Eaten separately, you'll notice increased energy levels.

    Do this for at least a couple of weeks, you'll notice your energy level generally is higher, and you'll probably notice you're beginning to shed some fat & water.

    I've already decided to do this again I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread.

    Good luck, be well.
  10. Registered User
    Rock Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    201
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by PC1
    it would be ok to have a toast with Peanut Butter & honey, and a glass of milk.
    Would the insulin produced in response to the honey not shuttle the fat from the PB into storage (adipose)?
  11. Banned
    Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    29
    Posts
    261
    Answers
    0


    cottege cheese mixed with yogert. huge fan
  12. Registered User
    sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,617
    Answers
    0


    you want to avoid sweet melons/watermelon. They are very high on the glycemic index. your best choice of fruits are citrus fruits (grapefruit, orange), grapes, kiwi. Medium GI fruits include apples, cherries, peaches, plums, pears, and all berries. Im a "one splenda" with my cottage cheese kind of guy though.
    Sage
  13. Registered User
    Cuffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,193
    Answers
    0


    Try mixing in a little sugar free strawberry or blackberry jam into your cottage cheese.
  14. PC1
    PC1 is offline
    Registered User
    PC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    367
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Lee
    Would the insulin produced in response to the honey not shuttle the fat from the PB into storage (adipose)?
    I can only tell you I was exceptionally lean when doing this diet, and without changing foods I ordinarily ate.
  15. Registered User
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,579
    Answers
    0


    In my opinion it shouldn't matter what fruit you put in your cottage cheese. The glycemic index of that fruit will be lowered tremendously being taken with cottage cheese, and if you want to lower it further, mix some ground flax seed in. People get their panties in a bunch over the GI of foods but if you have a mixed meal it digests much more slowly. Of note, this has more to do with the rate at which the food is absorbed in the small intestines than anything else, the stomach's main purpose is to break down the things you eat into a nice porridge, and the easiest way to reduce the amount of time things spend there is to chew your damned food.
  16. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,474
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    In my opinion it shouldn't matter what fruit you put in your cottage cheese. The glycemic index of that fruit will be lowered tremendously being taken with cottage cheese, and if you want to lower it further, mix some ground flax seed in. People get their panties in a bunch over the GI of foods but if you have a mixed meal it digests much more slowly. Of note, this has more to do with the rate at which the food is absorbed in the small intestines than anything else, the stomach's main purpose is to break down the things you eat into a nice porridge, and the easiest way to reduce the amount of time things spend there is to chew your damned food.

    how do you figure the GI of something is lower just because i eat it with something else?....If i take maltodextrin with my protein shake, that malto is still hi GI no matter what I eat it with..

    also..fruit as explained above should be able to pass if eaten by itself within a half hour...if eaten with other things, while it might take longer to pass, that would be a bad thing, as it would start fermenting..causing digestion issues..with that meal....

    and the reality is you really don't even have to chew protein based meals...protein does not start being digested until it enters the stomach....if you consider breaking it down by chewing it digestion then fine...chemical breakdown starts in the stomach...Carbs should be kept in the mouth longer to allow for better digestion...

    h19
  17. Registered User
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,579
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by hamper19
    how do you figure the GI of something is lower just because i eat it with something else?....If i take maltodextrin with my protein shake, that malto is still hi GI no matter what I eat it with..

    also..fruit as explained above should be able to pass if eaten by itself within a half hour...if eaten with other things, while it might take longer to pass, that would be a bad thing, as it would start fermenting..causing digestion issues..with that meal....

    and the reality is you really don't even have to chew protein based meals...protein does not start being digested until it enters the stomach....if you consider breaking it down by chewing it digestion then fine...chemical breakdown starts in the stomach...Carbs should be kept in the mouth longer to allow for better digestion...

    h19
    The effective GI of any carb, when taken with fat and esp. high volumes of fiber, is going to be blunted to a great extent. There is a great deal of research and information on this. As protein can generate a significant insulin load on its own, I don't think you're hurting things my mixing whey with malto - just avoid fats or any source of fiber with your post workout shake if you feel that generating a large insulin load is important - Bobo has convinced me otherwise however the choice is up to you .

    As far as protein digestion goes, that is a portion process as I'm sure you understand. Both the stomach and small intestines play a part with different protease enzymes, however the main gastric emptying process is still sieve-like, and the small intestines are capable of performing the majority of protein digestion if need be.

    The reason fruit passes in 1/2 hour is because it is mostly water, and the combination of mastication and salivary enzymes work well enough that by the time it gets to the stomach it's mostly digested, and the stomach's digestive enzymes break down what little fibrous connective tissue is left quickly, allowing it to filter through and empty into the small intestines quickly. Fruit is still going to spend a great deal of time in the small and large intestines, regardless of if you eat it with something else or not, I don't know that the time it spends in the stomach is such a big deal (4 hours tops, unless you don't chew and eat like a pig, iirc) compared to the 24 hours it can spend winding it's way through the intestines.

    Anyhow, if you find that for yourself, energy levels are negatively correlated with level of gastric load/fullness I'd advise you to eat the majority of your food in liquid form - it has the same effect for the most part. Interesting that "juicing" (health nut style, not bb style) is also popular with healthy living types for the same reason that the fit for life style of food separation is.

    [edited to remove some of the more noticable spelling/style errors]
  18. The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
    hamper19's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,474
    Answers
    0


    can you post some of the research?..i have been looking with no luck so far..

    thanks

    h19
  19. Registered User
    exnihilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,579
    Answers
    0

    Just something I dug up in a minute or two


    Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 1999 Nov;28(6):356-8

    [Effect of food composition of mixed food on glycemic index]

    [Article in Chinese]

    Cui H, Yang Y, Bian L, He M.

    Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine,
    Beijing 100050, China.

    In order to study the effect of protein, fat and dietary fiber on glycemic index(GI) of mixed food, the response of blood glucose and plasma insulin to nine diets with different components of food were tested by using glucose
    oxidase and radioimmunoassay. Glycemic index of 9 mixed foods show as follows, rice: 83.2 +/- 3.1, rice + stir fry pork: 72.0 +/- 14.0, rice + stir fry pork and celery: 57.1 +/- 11.2, rice + stir fry garlic sprout: 57.9 +/- 7.8, rice +
    stir fry garlic sprout and eggs: 62.8 +/- 16.7, steamed bread: 80.1 +/- 22.5, steamed bread + butter: 68.0 +/- 16.3, and steamed bread + beef: 49.4 +/- 22.8. Protein(P, beta 1 = -0.696, P < 0.01) and dietary fiber(Fi, beta 2 = -7.364, P < 0.01) can reduce the blood glucose response and were significantly related to GI. Fat also can inhibit the increment of blood glucose, but there is no significant relation with GI. When the co-ingestion of protein with carbohydrate, the serum insulin response increased greatly and the glycemic response reduced. The addition of fat can reduce the glycemic response without change in serum insulin. Dietary fiber can reduce the serum insulin response and inhibit the glycemic response.

    CONCLUSION: Protein and dietary fiber of mixed
    food could markedly affect the glycemic index of foods and reduced the blood glucose response.


    Hope that helps

    Ex Nihilo
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
  2. Are There Any Lawyers or Law Students in the house
    By dirtysouthmuscl in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2006, 09:38 PM
  3. So are there any open slot ?
    By The Paper Route in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 11:59 AM
  4. are there any interferaces with mohn?
    By John Smeton in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 11:27 PM
  5. are there any women on this board?
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 11:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in