Am I losing fast enough

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

Am I losing fast enough

Just finished week 3 of my recent stab at CKD. (I like to refeed fri night to sat afternoon, then back in the gym Sunday) The first time I tried I wasnt eating nearly enough throughout the day, and def not enough fats. I've upped my fat intake through the week, but I'm worried I am still doing something wrong. At the end of week 3, I'm only down 6 pounds total. Seeing some other guys posts on CKD, this seems VERY slow. My bf is around 18% @ 210 pounds. I broke down and bought some ketostix, and they always come back showing keytones are being produced. (I know they arent all knowing, but figured they'd be a decent indicator if I'm in keto)

My energy is fine after that first day, so I'm pretty sure im in ketosis, but dont get why I'm not dropping #'s faster.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Normal day/diet looks like:
    Wake
    NO Shotgun
    Workout (Usually lift Sun Mon Tues, Off wed, thurs and Fri, off Sat)
    1 scoop ON whey
    Breakfast 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs.
    Lettuce with EVOO/vinegar dressing
    Lunch
    Either left over cheese burgers, or tuna with mayo made w/ OO, or deli corned beef. More lettuce w/ olive oil dressing
    Snack on some cashews and 1 scoop ON whey and some natty PB
    Dinner
    meat, and a green veggie. Usually some ground beef dish made with 75/25 beef.
    prebed 1 scoop ON casein w/ natty PB

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  246 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.8%

Thats pretty good. usually it starts to pick up after 3 weeks.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

Oh man, I hope so, thanks! Was starting to lose faith. I mean I'd take 2 pounds a week, but figured it'd have to be faster than that
    •   

Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I wouldn't of had the refeed first week to be honest
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    I wouldn't of had the refeed first week to be honest
    I was wondering about that, but that last workout was brutal (close to puking a couple times lol), so figured I was ok to refeed. Was considering skipping the refeed this week and going 2 weeks. Maybe just 1 carb loaded meal to give me some umph for the next week, but not a whole day.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

what are your daily totals? When I started mine, I didn't have enough fat. I was on about 1900 cals. I did some more reading and found you should have about 1 gram/pound of LBM in protein, then the rest coming from fat. I shoot for 60% of cals from fat. When I upped my fats, dropped some protein, and actually upped my cals to about 2200, and weight started to drop. post up what your totals are for the day.
  7. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I'm running right now at 2000 cals a day, 120g of protein and about 140g of fats, dropped around 8lbs in 8 days with severe amounts of cardio included, no strength workouts though, taking 2 weeks off to let my elbow heal up
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

Quote Originally Posted by youngandfree View Post
    what are your daily totals? When I started mine, I didn't have enough fat. I was on about 1900 cals. I did some more reading and found you should have about 1 gram/pound of LBM in protein, then the rest coming from fat. I shoot for 60% of cals from fat. When I upped my fats, dropped some protein, and actually upped my cals to about 2200, and weight started to drop. post up what your totals are for the day.
    This is for today. I added some buttermilk ranch dressing in today for some extra fat. The tru carbs is prolly about 20g lower since most of it came from natty pb, almonds and broccoli, and my counter doesnt subtract the fiber (I included my night time shake in these numbers also)

Cal: 2825
    Fat: 216
    Carb 55
    Pro: 173
  9. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

that looks ok, but depending on your level of activity and cardio it may be a squidge high on total calories. general rules of thumb is 10-11 cals per pound for cutting, 14-15 per pound for maintenance, 18+ to bulk.
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%

i'll definitely agree thats its hard to keep the floor of .6g/lb of protein and still have enough fat and keep calories low
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    that looks ok, but depending on your level of activity and cardio it may be a squidge high on total calories. general rules of thumb is 10-11 cals per pound for cutting, 14-15 per pound for maintenance, 18+ to bulk.

I normally dont do any cardio work, but was prolly going to try and start 1 or 2 sessions this week. My w/o's are usually 1-1.5 hours long.

I was thinking of skipping the refeed day this week, and just have one carb loaded meal to try and speed things up a little. (Moms b-day this weekend, so taking her to breakfast....mmmm, pancakes)
  12. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%

yeah, with no cardio, honestly calories a little high to see huge losses. From my experience, what ketogenic diets do is

• Help keep you more satisfied feeling
    • Help keep better mental clarity
    • Help preserve muscle tissues making primary losses from fat

vs restricted calorie diets at the same caloric level. You really don't see significant losses in keto at maintenance (although sometimes you can add some muscle while loosing fat). but if you can get down to normal cutting calories you'll find your meals leave you more satisfied (half a pound of spinach panfried with some ground beef and bacon is a nice damn meal) and you overall feel better.

how many days a week are your workouts?
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

I usually w/o 5-6 times a week...I normally end up skipping a mid week session in order to get some extra shut eye.
  14. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%

tough call for sure. if it was me i'd try and drop calories a little bit i guess, and or change workout routine to something lighter duty for a short fat loss cycle of 4 weeks (like 3x a week) and use the empty days to do cardio instead, then go back to normal workouts after
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

I'll prolly try and cut a couple hundred cals first. Cardio just doesn't give me that "I cna conquer the world" feeling that pulling weight does. I may throw in a session or 2 on my shoulder and off days...beach season '10 is only 10 months away
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    24.71%

So today was:
    Cal: 2609
    Fat 191
    Carb 52 (minus 13 for fiber)
    Pro 191

Macros look ok I think..63F/29P/8C...tough to get 200 grams of fat and not cross 2400 cals..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Keto Diet and losing weight too fast
    By Playwithfire in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM
  2. Losing Weight Without Losing Muscle
    By SimplyDraven in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 04:07 AM
  3. Losing weight FAST on my Stack
    By ttp in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3