Speed vs. Size - AnabolicMinds.com

Speed vs. Size

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Speed vs. Size

So I'm 5 ft. 11 in. and weigh 220 lbs. and play football. My 40 yard dash is currently 5.3 but at my position it needs to get quite a bit faster. Now my strength and size is important to me as I still need to deal with offensive lineman, but I'm wondering what's the best way to add speed without taking too big of a hit in the strength and size department

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Increase your food intake to retain your lean would be my two cents.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  3. Senior Member

speed really doesn't have a lot to do with your diet.

my brother used to do MMA, and competed in cage fighting when he was 200lbs of muscle.

he was SUPER FAST even still when he got up to 260 and fat.

that being said, your speed will increase with speed training,
    For me, the action IS the juice.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.

What you want to do is work on your power. I would suggest talking to one of your coaches, but it seems that you need to work more on sprinting.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.

You a LB?

There are plenty of ways to get your speed up w/o sacrificing muscular size. Plyometrics, sprinting with resistence (parachute, bands, etc.), and sports specific lifts are great examples.

Hang cleans are a great sports specific lift, but most people I've seen do them have terrible form. Here is an example of a power clean with perfect form:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s"]YouTube - Power Clean[/ame]

The only difference between this and a hang clean is the starting point, i.e. above or below the knees. It's a hard technique to master but doing them right will give you tremendous starting power off the line. Start light until you have the form down then increase the weight.

Finally, if you run a google search you will find a ton of info on the topic. The first result off a google search of "football speed training" had plenty of articles:
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...-training.html

EDIT: Just realized that there are advertisments for programs spliced into the site. The info on the site itself is solid but I'd ignore any links to things that you have to purchase.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by emdogg View Post
    So I'm 5 ft. 11 in. and weigh 220 lbs. and play football. My 40 yard dash is currently 5.3 but at my position it needs to get quite a bit faster. Now my strength and size is important to me as I still need to deal with offensive lineman, but I'm wondering what's the best way to add speed without taking too big of a hit in the strength and size department
    Drill, drill, drill! Run through tires, get down with the lineman during practice, and go at the sled a few times. Keep those legs pumping.

Football is about explosiveness. Learn plyometric exercises. No matter how big that guy is if you keep your legs moving and explode into him, you'll drop him. I'm assuming your familiar with bear-crawls? They're brutal, but effective.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf0420 View Post
    Drill, drill, drill! Run through tires, get down with the lineman during practice, and go at the sled a few times. Keep those legs pumping.

Football is about explosiveness. Learn plyometric exercises. No matter how big that guy is if you keep your legs moving and explode into him, you'll drop him. I'm assuming your familiar with bear-crawls? They're brutal, but effective.
    Awww man, bear crawls suck, but you're probably right.
    Rhyno, ya, I play MLB and I plan to add cleans to my off season routine. Thanks for the advice
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Increase size while Speed Training??? HELP!
    By Stigerman in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
  2. Speed vs Size
    By emdogg in forum Bulking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 10:55 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
  4. Speed = size
    By pdx89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 03:25 PM
  5. Do you try to add size or maintain size?
    By Jim Mills in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM