Starting my cut!

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Smile Starting my cut!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and must say I am impressed with the amount of knowlege on this site.

I am looking for some advice as i will be cutting some fat over the course of the next couple of months before I begin a bulk. I am currently 195lbs at 6ft 1in and 20%bf. My goal is to get down to around 10% by the end of the summer (this is about 20lbs). I am going slow to preserve as much muscle as possible and am content with 1lb/week. Im figuring I need about 2800cal for maintenence so I will eat 2300 on nontraining days to start and 3000 on training days since I lift heavy with 20min worth of sprints right after.

My question is the macro breakdown. Is 40/40/20 P/C/F a good place to start?

I am 20yrs old and have lifted since about 16, but just in the past year started getting my diet in order (rediculous I know lol). Please let me know what you all think...any feedback is welcome!

thanks

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

It's incredibly difficult to give a "yay or nay" on your diet since there is such a huge genetic component to it, but, the 40/40/20 is a god place to start. Increased activity is going to give a huge initial burst of fat loss since the body has a new stimulus. One thing I really want to emphasize is to not get over-restrictive with your food consumption.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Answers

If your are 20% bodyfat, i would say you have more than 20lbs to lose.
    •   

4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quick math 195@20%=
    156 lbs LBM
    39 lbs FM

a 20 lbs loss would put him at around 10.9%BF
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

yeah sorry, the 20lbs i mentioned was what I want to lose to get me to about 10%. I should also mention that in the past 2 months I have been lifting 5 days/week with 2-3 cardio sessions per week and eating a ton more. I have been at about 3500-3700 cal everyday and gained more fat than I wouldve liked. Is it fairly safe to say that losing 1lb/week is preserving a majority of my muscle? I appreciate the advice rodja

thanks again guys
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ketms View Post
    yeah sorry, the 20lbs i mentioned was what I want to lose to get me to about 10%. I should also mention that in the past 2 months I have been lifting 5 days/week with 2-3 cardio sessions per week and eating a ton more. I have been at about 3500-3700 cal everyday and gained more fat than I wouldve liked. Is it fairly safe to say that losing 1lb/week is preserving a majority of my muscle? I appreciate the advice rodja

thanks again guys
    Yes, a slow, yet consistent pace will yield the best, and most maintainable, results.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Also, im assuming I will have to adjust my food intake from time to time since I will be cutting for a few months, so How should I go about doing this so I continue the progress? Will my body get used to the 2300-3000 calorie diet and slow my progress?

thanks
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Any more advice on this? My diet has been fairly consistant but I feel my body has adjusted. I def dont have the energy in the weight room that I used to but havent seen much of a change in the last month and no change in weight the past 2 weeks...

im thinking about doing a bit of carb cycling but have never attempted this. Any advice is welcome and appreciated...
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ketms View Post
    Any more advice on this? My diet has been fairly consistant but I feel my body has adjusted. I def dont have the energy in the weight room that I used to but havent seen much of a change in the last month and no change in weight the past 2 weeks...

im thinking about doing a bit of carb cycling but have never attempted this. Any advice is welcome and appreciated...
    You answered your own question.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. starting tta
    By mixedup in forum Serious Nutrition Solutions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
  2. Just starting . . . again . . . HELP!!!!
    By STATIKMIKE21 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 10:38 PM
  3. starting out / need help
    By dlaurel in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM
  4. Just starting my MP!!!!!
    By Unclemikejones in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 01:24 PM
  5. Starting M1T