Gaining weight on CKD????

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.42%

Gaining weight on CKD????

One of my friends has been attempting to cut down his fat on a CKD diet. For about 4 weeks, he has steadily lost 3 - 4 pounds a week.
    This week though he asked me if it is possible to gain weight since he has gone up about 1.2 pounds so far this week......

Any reasons? I honestly couldn't give an answer but said I would check the forum.

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.2%

Yes. If you eat more calories than your body can utilize then yes.

If he is at the same caloric intake its very possible that it can be a little water retention.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.25%

Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    One of my friends has been attempting to cut down his fat on a CKD diet. For about 4 weeks, he has steadily lost 3 - 4 pounds a week.
    This week though he asked me if it is possible to gain weight since he has gone up about 1.2 pounds so far this week......

Any reasons? I honestly couldn't give an answer but said I would check the forum.
    Ok, if he's lost about 3.5 lbs per week for 4 weeks, that's about 14 lbs total.

He needs to adjust his BMR to take that weight loss into account. If he's still consuming, say, 500 calories below maintenance at +14 lbs, that could very well be 100+ calories ABOVE maintenance at his actual weight. That's one way to gain weight during a CKD.

It could also be constipation, since the CKD is famous for causing that. If he's been too long w/o a carb-up, or the carb-up was mediocre, he could have 2 lbs worth of waste in his tract.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.42%

Quote Originally Posted by SuppKnight View Post
    Ok, if he's lost about 3.5 lbs per week for 4 weeks, that's about 14 lbs total.

He needs to adjust his BMR to take that weight loss into account. If he's still consuming, say, 500 calories below maintenance at +14 lbs, that could very well be 100+ calories ABOVE maintenance at his actual weight. That's one way to gain weight during a CKD.

It could also be constipation, since the CKD is famous for causing that. If he's been too long w/o a carb-up, or the carb-up was mediocre, he could have 2 lbs worth of waste in his tract.
    Good call on both. Gonna check with him on the diet.....and I never thought of the constipation aspect but that is definitely a good chance as well.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.27%

Make sure hes getting in a fiber supplement.
    You must take in 20-30g fiber a day to ensure digestive efficiency.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.27%

It's also important to weigh urself at the same time on the same day each week. Especially on a ckd where you carb-up 1-2 days per week and can easily gain 8 lbs. of water weight on a carb refeed that you'll lose in the next few days.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.25%

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
    It's also important to weigh urself at the same time on the same day each week. Especially on a ckd where you carb-up 1-2 days per week and can easily gain 8 lbs. of water weight on a carb refeed that you'll lose in the next few days.
    That's definitely true. I prefer the "just-woken-up-and-have-taken-the-morning-piss" scale check because that's when you are the lightest everyday.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need Help gaining weight
    By Rain050 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
  2. I need help gaining weight.
    By Sinr98 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
  3. Gaining Weight
    By kdarrell in forum Bulking
    Replies: 31