Gaining weight on CKD????

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Gaining weight on CKD????

One of my friends has been attempting to cut down his fat on a CKD diet. For about 4 weeks, he has steadily lost 3 - 4 pounds a week.
    This week though he asked me if it is possible to gain weight since he has gone up about 1.2 pounds so far this week......

Any reasons? I honestly couldn't give an answer but said I would check the forum.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Yes. If you eat more calories than your body can utilize then yes.

If he is at the same caloric intake its very possible that it can be a little water retention.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    One of my friends has been attempting to cut down his fat on a CKD diet. For about 4 weeks, he has steadily lost 3 - 4 pounds a week.
    This week though he asked me if it is possible to gain weight since he has gone up about 1.2 pounds so far this week......

Any reasons? I honestly couldn't give an answer but said I would check the forum.
    Ok, if he's lost about 3.5 lbs per week for 4 weeks, that's about 14 lbs total.

He needs to adjust his BMR to take that weight loss into account. If he's still consuming, say, 500 calories below maintenance at +14 lbs, that could very well be 100+ calories ABOVE maintenance at his actual weight. That's one way to gain weight during a CKD.

It could also be constipation, since the CKD is famous for causing that. If he's been too long w/o a carb-up, or the carb-up was mediocre, he could have 2 lbs worth of waste in his tract.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuppKnight View Post
    Ok, if he's lost about 3.5 lbs per week for 4 weeks, that's about 14 lbs total.

He needs to adjust his BMR to take that weight loss into account. If he's still consuming, say, 500 calories below maintenance at +14 lbs, that could very well be 100+ calories ABOVE maintenance at his actual weight. That's one way to gain weight during a CKD.

It could also be constipation, since the CKD is famous for causing that. If he's been too long w/o a carb-up, or the carb-up was mediocre, he could have 2 lbs worth of waste in his tract.
    Good call on both. Gonna check with him on the diet.....and I never thought of the constipation aspect but that is definitely a good chance as well.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.
    Answers

Make sure hes getting in a fiber supplement.
    You must take in 20-30g fiber a day to ensure digestive efficiency.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  219.0 lbs.
    Answers

It's also important to weigh urself at the same time on the same day each week. Especially on a ckd where you carb-up 1-2 days per week and can easily gain 8 lbs. of water weight on a carb refeed that you'll lose in the next few days.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast View Post
    It's also important to weigh urself at the same time on the same day each week. Especially on a ckd where you carb-up 1-2 days per week and can easily gain 8 lbs. of water weight on a carb refeed that you'll lose in the next few days.
    That's definitely true. I prefer the "just-woken-up-and-have-taken-the-morning-piss" scale check because that's when you are the lightest everyday.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need Help gaining weight
    By Rain050 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 05:40 PM
  2. I need help gaining weight.
    By Sinr98 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Gaining Weight
    By kdarrell in forum Bulking