ketosis

Can someone please clarify

1. Everything that can kick you out of ketosis

2. Everything that can help you reach ketosis and stay in ketosis

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Answers

There are a ton of topics with this info in it...

However I do like your idea, it would be nice to have a thread with the answers to your info it in, maybe you can search for the answers and put a FAQ together!
  3. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rrm View Post

1. anything that creates an insulin response or puts glucose into bloodstream

2. much more difficult to say, avoiding anything that is #1 is basically it, plus time. depletion of glycogen stores by doing heavy cardio can help start it initially
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rrm View Post

1. Theres alot of these. It boils down to stimulants, artifical sugars, too much protein resulting in a high rate of gluconegensis, for some people citrus juices like lemons and limes and too much carbs obviously.

A. High fat intake initially
    B. Keeping carbs down
    C. Training appropriately (by that I mean no half assed training)
    D. Leucine is ketogenic and can help raise the levels of ketones which can be helpful initially
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Answers

stimulants kick you out of ketosis ?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Some people are sensitive to stimulants lik caffeine. Others aren't.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

I've never tried Keto but I imagine it would take a few days to actually get into ketosis?
  8. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

first time it can take even longer. if you were in ketosis but came out over a single meal or even single day, you can generally be back in pretty quickly, within a day
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    I've never tried Keto but I imagine it would take a few days to actually get into ketosis?
    When you start CKD it takes about 2-3 days to enter ketosis, around 3 weeks give or take to get to the deepest part of ketosis (which is where the brain will use the highest amount of ketones that it generally will ever) and the body runs off of FFA's. From a carb load you can rebound in a day back to ketosis most likely.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Gluconeogenisis occurs regularly both in and out of ketosis. The only time I can see you getting knocked out of ketosis is by poor insulin sesnsivity or your diabeteic. Othere wise it too much protein or gluconeogenis won't knock you out ketosis

11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    Gluconeogenisis occurs regularly both in and out of ketosis. The only time I can see you getting knocked out of ketosis is by poor insulin sesnsivity or your diabeteic. Othere wise it too much protein or gluconeogenis won't knock you out ketosis

Crazyfool is right, the only thing one has to worry about when conuming too much protein is lver stress because the enzymes of many proteins becomes hard for the liver to breakdown, key to ketosis, avoid any form of SUGAR, sugar affects your peptide hormones like a mother, I would even limit the amount of fruits consumed. Lets put it like this everytime you exercise your body goes into Gluconeogenesis, nobody who lifts would be able to complete a cycle if your body did not come out of that estate.
    doing my own thang!
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Maybe I should have wrote it "According to Lyle McDonald in his book "The Ketogenic diet" Protein has an up to 58 percent rate of conversion into glucose beyond intake which is required to maintain nitrogen balance so too much protein can disrupt ketosis"

http://www.carbwire.com/2008/07/11/g...snt_need_carbs

Here too basically says the same thing.

"Dr. Eric Westman from Duke University says the studies he has seen say for every 2g of dietary protein consumed, one gram of it is converted to glucose/sugar/carbs
    ."

I wrote that higher protein causes a higher rate of gluconeogenisis not that the process itself at even a small level is to be avoided. Glucose doesn't just exist in the form of sugar, even small percentages of fat can be turned into glucose. Too much glucose no matter what the source will remove a person from ketosis. Sugar does have the added edge of fructose, which will stall ketosis as well in too high amounts.

Valine
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Maybe I should have wrote it "According to Lyle McDonald in his book "The Ketogenic diet" Protein has an up to 58 percent rate of conversion into glucose beyond intake which is required to maintain nitrogen balance so too much protein can disrupt ketosis"

http://www.carbwire.com/2008/07/11/g...snt_need_carbs

Here too basically says the same thing.

"Dr. Eric Westman from Duke University says the studies he has seen say for every 2g of dietary protein consumed, one gram of it is converted to glucose/sugar/carbs
    ."

I wrote that higher protein causes a higher rate of gluconeogenisis not that the process itself at even a small level is to be avoided. Glucose doesn't just exist in the form of sugar, even small percentages of fat can be turned into glucose. Too much glucose no matter what the source will remove a person from ketosis. Sugar does have the added edge of fructose, which will stall ketosis as well in too high amounts.

Valine
    Here is something to ponder upon, the body needs glucose in order to function properly which is managed through carbs, and proteins. gluconeogenisis can be confusing, but for sure it would take more than a certain amount to take the body out of ketosis, and I mean a GOOD amount of protein.
    doing my own thang!
  14. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Here is something to ponder upon, the body needs glucose in order to function properly which is managed through carbs, and proteins. gluconeogenisis can be confusing, but for sure it would take more than a certain amount to take the body out of ketosis, and I mean a GOOD amount of protein.
    well, the first half isn't true thats the whole point behind ketosis, is not having carbs perhaps during exercise a small amount of protein does get turned to glucose, but that is not likely to be a big amount.

But as far as meals go, someone taking in 50+g of protein in a single meal could have as much of 20-30g of it converted to glucose thru gluconeogenesis, which is likely enough to kick you out of ketosis.
    This space for rent

15. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Easy way to do it is check your blood sugar. If it remains steady then your still in ketosis. But the fat you consume with the maels slows down the process of digestion. That was not taken into consideration at any point of this debate

16. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

yeah, that is quite true, there are so many variables that havent been studied. But someone who pops a no-fat added 50g whey isolate shake post workout is fairly likely to pop out of ketosis imo.
    This space for rent

17. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

Yea but even with that whey isolate only post worlout you insulin sensitivity is much graeter and should not effect ketosis

18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Answers

The anabolic diet says to go 12 days with less than 30g of carbs a day when you first start the diet, so I'm assuming somewhere around 10-15 days before you're glycogen stores are fully depleted. Also dependent on what kind of lifting and cardio you do.
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

If you train high intensity and use GDAs you can be in ketosis in about 3-5 daus. Other wise it has taken me upwards of 12 days

20. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

The 58% conversion rate of protein-glucose is referencing the liver's pathway of gluconeogenesis, that being the alanine-glucose pathway. There are seventeen amino-acids which are considered glucogenic [ability to convert to glucose] but alanine is the only amino-acid which the liver can directly convert to glucose; the others are first deaminated into intermediates of the Krebs/TCA, and then can be reanimated into alanine. Essentially, this means that using protein sources high in leucine, isoleucine, valine and so on and so on is unlikely to remove one from Ketosis via excessive gluconeogenesis. This characterizes BCAA as a valuable asset during Ketosis - one can supplement dietary intake of whole-food protein with "between-meal" BCAA intake!
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    The 58% conversion rate of protein-glucose is referencing the liver's pathway of gluconeogenesis, that being the alanine-glucose pathway. There are seventeen amino-acids which are considered glucogenic [ability to convert to glucose] but alanine is the only amino-acid which the liver can directly convert to glucose; the others are first deaminated into intermediates of the Krebs/TCA, and then can be reanimated into alanine. Essentially, this means that using protein sources high in leucine, isoleucine, valine and so on and so on is unlikely to remove one from Ketosis via excessive gluconeogenesis. This characterizes BCAA as a valuable asset during Ketosis - one can supplement dietary intake of whole-food protein with "between-meal" BCAA intake!
    nice. pretty informative
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I am getting a bit confused here. Isn't this diet based mainly on fat and protein intake with the elimination of carbs? Thus your diet is practically all protein and fat......and from what I remember with atkins to get to keto you were allowed as much protein as you wanted.
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

there are flaws with atkins

the fat should be different and portions still have to be "normal" just because you can eat 36 ounces of steak doesnt mean you should.
  24. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    well, the first half isn't true thats the whole point behind ketosis, is not having carbs perhaps during exercise a small amount of protein does get turned to glucose, but that is not likely to be a big amount.

But as far as meals go, someone taking in 50+g of protein in a single meal could have as much of 20-30g of it converted to glucose thru gluconeogenesis, which is likely enough to kick you out of ketosis.
    I never said to take carbs my friend, all I said is THROUGH carbs and proteins does the body convert it to glucose, ya diggz
    doing my own thang!
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    When you start CKD it takes about 2-3 days to enter ketosis, around 3 weeks give or take to get to the deepest part of ketosis (which is where the brain will use the highest amount of ketones that it generally will ever) and the body runs off of FFA's. From a carb load you can rebound in a day back to ketosis most likely.
    Good info, thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by PhysiqueFreak View Post
    The anabolic diet says to go 12 days with less than 30g of carbs a day when you first start the diet, so I'm assuming somewhere around 10-15 days before you're glycogen stores are fully depleted. Also dependent on what kind of lifting and cardio you do.
    I lift 3-4 times a week. For cardio, I play tennis twice a week and basketball once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    I am getting a bit confused here. Isn't this diet based mainly on fat and protein intake with the elimination of carbs? Thus your diet is practically all protein and fat......and from what I remember with atkins to get to keto you were allowed as much protein as you wanted.
    This is what I thought. Now it looks like too much protein is bad!? I'm getting confused because that will leave me with just about nothing to eat but lard, lol! Please help me understand this more, it's still new to me and I was also under the assumption that it was pretty much the same thing as the Atkin's diet with small differences. Also, if anybody could help me understand what kind of meal plan I should look at, i.e. macros? I will rep any help (yes I know my reps are small but they are much larger on three other boards and can do it there too!)
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

what kind of weekly weight loss is typical with ketosis? 2 - 3 pounds safely before being concerned of muscle loss?
  27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

This is what I thought. Now it looks like too much protein is bad!? I'm getting confused because that will leave me with just about nothing to eat but lard, lol! Please help me understand this more, it's still new to me and I was also under the assumption that it was pretty much the same thing as the Atkin's diet with small differences. Also, if anybody could help me understand what kind of meal plan I should look at, i.e. macros? I will rep any help (yes I know my reps are small but they are much larger on three other boards and can do it there too!)
    Any of the nuts are good, avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. An excess of protein can make it harder to get into ketosis and possibly kick you out. On a true CKD, you want to stay under 30g net carbs for the day, and .8g/lb of protein. the rest is fats.

Quote Originally Posted by maurice02 View Post
    what kind of weekly weight loss is typical with ketosis? 2 - 3 pounds safely before being concerned of muscle loss?
    yeah, that is quite possible. basically if you are truly in ketosis, you can start clipping calories down and if you are using ketostixs to be sure you are staying in ketosis then you can continue dropping calories with minimal concern about loosing muscle. you can even get protein down to as low as .6g/lb if you aren't doing really heavy workouts (like if you are just doing circuit training)
    This space for rent

28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Answers

You're keto on the anabolic diet, aren't you? What's the deal with the protein intake then, doesn't that kind of conflict?
  29. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

no, the anabolic diet isn't keto.
    This space for rent

30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Oh wow. That's pretty integral to the diet, I can't believe I thought wrong. Thanks.
  31. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

its a bouncy carb diet so although there are low carb days, and its possible for you to go into ketosis during it, that isn't its primary goal and it doesn't fail if you dont reach ketosis. its more about optimizing hormones
    This space for rent

32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    its a bouncy carb diet so although there are low carb days, and its possible for you to go into ketosis during it, that isn't its primary goal and it doesn't fail if you dont reach ketosis. its more about optimizing hormones
    Thanks for the help bro!
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    You're keto on the anabolic diet, aren't you? What's the deal with the protein intake then, doesn't that kind of conflict?
    cyclic ketogenic diet is the category that AD falls under. CKD diets fall under the general layout of being a set of low carb days, maybe with a day with a small carb up if the amount of low carb days are wide and is followed by a carb load. TKD diets utilize carbs before and after workouts to keep glycogen levels at somewhere of a set point. Pure keto diets which I don't think work as well as CKD keeps you low carb without carb ups.

I think ketogenic diets are misnomers, mainly because the actual amount of ketones utilized on AD or other CKD diets doesn't come close to matching the calorie expenditure of FFA's.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. help to get into ketosis
    By fitnessgoal in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
  2. Ketosis ?
    By petey7408 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 08:24 AM
  3. Ketosis supplements
    By Svgeman in forum Supplements