5 weeks to cut 4% bf! This approach any good?

rrm

Awards
possible to lose 20 lbs. of bodyfat in 30 days by optimizing any of three factors: exercise, diet, or drug/supplement regimen. I’ve seen the elite implementation of all three in working with professional athletes. In this post, we’ll explore a variation of the “slow carb” diet as used by Dean Karnazes, an ultramarathoner famed for completing 50 marathons on 50 consecutive days in 50 different states. The most impressive part of this, for me, is that he did so, not with the typical anemic marathoner build, but with a well-muscled mesomorph body.

In the last six weeks, I have cut from about 180 lbs. to 165 lbs., while adding about 10 lbs. of muscle, which means I’ve lost about 25 lbs. of fat. This is the only diet besides the rather extreme Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD) that has produced veins across my abdomen, which is the last place I lose fat (damn you, Scandinavian genetics). Here are the four simple rules I followed…

Rule #1: Avoid “white” carbohydrates

Avoid any carbohydrate that is — or can be — white. The following foods are thus prohibited, except for within 1.5 hours of finishing a resistance-training workout of at least 20 minutes in length: bread, rice, cereal, potatoes, pasta, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating anything white, you’ll be safe.

Rule #2: Eat the same few meals over and over again

The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. Mix and match, costructing each meal with one from each of the three following groups:

Proteins:
Egg whites with one whole egg for flavor
Chicken breast or thigh
Grass-fed organic beef
Pork

Legumes:
Lentils
Black beans
Pinto beans

Vegetables:
Spinach
Asparagus
Peas
Mixed vegetables

Eat as much as you like of the above food items. Just remember: keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries or potatoes. Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food, swapping out rice for vegetables, to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the “slow carb” diet.

Most people who go on “low” carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit, not because such diets can’t work, but because they consume insufficient calories. A 1/2 cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a 1/2 cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.

Any other approaches that people have used would be great to know as well!

Fear

Fear

Awards
I'm experimenting with a similar diet, except I don't eat as much legumes and instead eat more fruits (carbs from frcutose). I still eat a bit of carbs from glucose, but mainly only in the morning so I can stay alert in school. This approach seems to go pretty well so far, I still feel full from the carbs that I am eating and I'm noticing a gradually leaner physique.

rrm

Awards
Exactly what i need for school is more energy!
Would you possibly be able to tell me a lil more about your stats to see if were any similar body wise? Also how long u think 5 weeks would do from your experience?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
that seems pretty good. I do mine similarly ( i don't do keto), except I just have 5 days a week where i'm calorie deficit by 700 (per day) and two days a week where i'm surplus by 300. Losing the first 4% was quite easy infact, but after that i hit plateaus and also lost a fair bit of muscle.

But i think losing 4% in 5 weeks seems like a good target, unless you're trying to go from let's say 11 - 7%. I don't know the science, but people always tend to find it harder when u get closer to the single digits.

I started at 26%, so going to 22% was easy. I'm now down at 14%.

rrm

Awards
just wondering if there were any differences and also jw why you dont do keto?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
youve lost 25 pounds while putting on 10lbs of muscle? how is that possible when you went from 180 to 165?

rrm

Awards
not me i just copy and paste from another site. Its the diet im lookin at and asking about.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would call his bluff

you need to loose 20 pounds in 30 days, its possible but not without drastic measures and lean muscle tissue catabolism.

you can shoot for a reasonable 10, maybe a tad more from water loss on keto, but you dont want to cut everything soo fast it will kill your metabolism and you will get stuck fairly fast before you have to reset your metabolism with a different diet and eating regimen.

you have to do things correctly and in due time. why are you giving yourself only 30 days to do this?

Fear

Fear

Awards
Exactly what i need for school is more energy!
Would you possibly be able to tell me a lil more about your stats to see if were any similar body wise? Also how long u think 5 weeks would do from your experience?
I'm 5'10, weigh 170 lbs, and about 12% bodyfat.

I don't suggest any drastic cuts (or bulks for that matter) because your body will easily lose muscle if you try to lose weight too fast. I would aim for a legitimate, but slow recomp. For me, I make sure that I eat plenty so that my strength levels never dip. It takes a long time to lose fat this way, but at least I never feel weak or a need to bulk up again. I'm pretty sure it's also the healthiest and easiest way to keep off the weight in the long run. What are your stats?

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
just wondering if there were any differences and also jw why you dont do keto?
i don't do keto because i guess i find it a bit difficult physically and mentally.
Eating that much fat and close to no carbs (and then hyper carbing on saturday) made me feel sick as hell, but i guess i never really gave CKD a fair chance. I quit it after 2 weeks and they say this is the hardest period.

i think the main difference in mine to urs is i take sugar after a workout. But that's the only time...

And the meats i take are basically from fish and chicken. I have red meat only occasionally.

but other than that, i basically eat the same meals over and over.
It's quite monotone but has worked well so far.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you figured out what you are actually trying to do yet? because a week ago, you were trying to put on as much mass as you humanly could in a month, and now you are trying to drop 10lbs of fat in a month.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I am all for CKD. I have lost weight on it in the past and will be doing it again. The carb up thankfully helps you maintain muscle. I typically gain strength after two weeks on that diet.
Just keep the cardio UP UP UP while on it and you will get your results.

dpfisher

What happens in 5 weeks? Why would you want to be 130lbs at 5'9" anyway? I used to live with a guy who was 130 at 5'4" and it still looked tiny on him.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
ya it doesnt make sense to me why give yourself only 5 weeks to accomplish something that will be drastically hard especially if your trying to go to the single digit BF% set an actual reasonable goal and if you lose more than congrats man id aim for maybe 10-12lbs if your going for your drastic measures if not id aim for 8lbs completely reasonable and easily attainable to lose 2lbs a week if your diet and training are spot on! so good luck and hope the best for ya man dont lose muscle lose fat!!

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
On my cut last year I lost 25lbs at around 8 weeks, with a high protein, mod carb intake(energy for gym, and hefty work scehdule) and a mix of low/high intensity cardio, 5 days a week. With this I still lost noticeable mass, and strength ( note: it was a natty cut as well), so I couldnt imagine losing 20lbs in 4 weeks: way too much to lose, in too short of a time= significant decrease in muscle/mass.

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
I think it would be near impossible as well to lose 20 lbs of body fat in 30 days. If anything, I could see a CKD diet allowing you to lose say 5 pounds right off the bat from excess water and cleaning out the GI tract.....and at most with a high protein, moderate fat, and low to nonexistant carb diet at the most safely of 3lbs a week.

rrm

Awards
On my cut last year I lost 25lbs at around 8 weeks, with a high protein, mod carb intake(energy for gym, and hefty work scehdule) and a mix of low/high intensity cardio, 5 days a week. With this I still lost noticeable mass, and strength ( note: it was a natty cut as well), so I couldnt imagine losing 20lbs in 4 weeks: way too much to lose, in too short of a time= significant decrease in muscle/mass.
Ya thats true with the muscle loss and i really dont want that. I think i might just add 30-45min slow cardio after my weight training every day and see what that does. Just want to gwt your personal opinion on how many days you can train your ABS and if everyday would be overtraing them.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Ya thats true with the muscle loss and i really dont want that. I think i might just add 30-45min slow cardio after my weight training every day and see what that does. Just want to gwt your personal opinion on how many days you can train your ABS and if everyday would be overtraing them.
I believe in 2-3 days of recovery for everything,.. including abs. I also believe if proper technique is used....aka "blowing out the match", slow negative and hold contraction for 3 secs + on all ab work,... all you need is one day a week to work abs out, 2 days a week if your on a DC-style rotational routine. If you doing deads, squats , or any standing presses,... you'll get an ab workout there as well.

rrm

Awards
I believe in 2-3 days of recovery for everything,.. including abs. I also believe if proper technique is used....aka "blowing out the match", slow negative and hold contraction for 3 secs + on all ab work,... all you need is one day a week to work abs out, 2 days a week if your on a DC-style rotational routine. If you doing deads, squats , or any standing presses,... you'll get an ab workout there as well.
ite. And i forgot about the squats and that working the abs! Thnks

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
ite. And i forgot about the squats and that working the abs! Thnks
yup,... form is very important on abs . I cant tell you how much ab work i did over the years and it did absolutely nothing. I stopped doing abs once a week about 6 months ago,.... and practiced more on using them for stabilization during my other exercises (squats, and deads esp.) Also look up breathing squats, that's what i do. Since then ill hit abs once every 2 weeks, and do 3 sets of standing rope crunches using holds, and "blow the match" technique, and some vacuum poses here and there and ive seen more results from this than any other way.

SamuraiSid

Awards
yup,... form is very important on abs . I cant tell you how much ab work i did over the years and it did absolutely nothing. I stopped doing abs once a week about 6 months ago,.... and practiced more on using them for stabilization during my other exercises (squats, and deads esp.) Also look up breathing squats, that's what i do. Since then ill hit abs once every 2 weeks, and do 3 sets of standing rope crunches using holds, and "blow the match" technique, and some vacuum poses here and there and ive seen more results from this than any other way.
I have read that the majority of European Martial Art and MMA coaches dont believe in isolated ab exercises, but instead rely purely on deads, squats, standing military press, etc to work the core muscles. Holding the contraction (flexing) while performing these exercises is, I assume, just as effective as holding the crunch at the appex, and very slowly contracting, which helps work the deeper layer of the abdominals, which is the primary layer used to deflect those hard hits in the ring.

rrm

Awards
I have read that the majority of European Martial Art and MMA coaches dont believe in isolated ab exercises, but instead rely purely on deads, squats, standing military press, etc to work the core muscles. Holding the contraction (flexing) while performing these exercises is, I assume, just as effective as holding the crunch at the appex, and very slowly contracting, which helps work the deeper layer of the abdominals, which is the primary layer used to deflect those hard hits in the ring.
Intresting...i wonder if the problem with some people getting abs is that there overtraining them withought relizing it because abs are used in these other excercises and than they go crazt training them seperatly as well

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Intresting...i wonder if the problem with some people getting abs is that there overtraining them withought relizing it because abs are used in these other excercises and than they go crazt training them seperatly as well
i think most ppl just dont do them right. Using crunches as an example: At the bottom, inhale as much air as possible(which stretches abs) and when going up, forcefully blow the air out while flexing the abs, and hold contraction at top for a few seconds. Then repeat. This is "blowing out the match." Many ppl ive seen simply do a quick exhale @ top of the rep, like they are doing bench,.... its totally different. Took me a long time to figure this out,....