Cutting, tired of bulking...(no carbs bad idea?) - AnabolicMinds.com

Cutting, tired of bulking...(no carbs bad idea?)

  1. New Member
    someguy1984's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    123

    Reputation

    Cutting, tired of bulking...(no carbs bad idea?)


    Alright, i've been bulking and now i think i'm through. I started at 140lbs and now i weigh 155. (I'm 5'7) Yeah, i know i'm not very big, but i feel like the more weight gain i'm putting on now is fat gain and that's enough for me. I can see a little in my face and that's where i draw the line, lol. I have definitely gotten stronger and bigger, but most came from my legs and chest. (not really anything in my arms, which is what i wanted) That's ok though...

    Now, i want to cut and show my muscles more and get to a low b/f. Eating all this food is starting to get really expensive, so i would rather cut anyway, lol. I already eat good, but i consume a lot of carbs throughtout the day. In the morning i always have 1 cup of oatmeal, with one cup of milk, tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 1 cup of cereal, with 1 cup of milk. (I use lowfat milk, 110 calories) So, that alone is a pretty hefty amount of carbs. Since i'm cutting now, should i change this breakfast? I'm eating about 2900 calories a day and gaining weight from this...I gain weight easy...So, i was thinking about dropping down to 2000 calories a day on non workout days and 2200 on workout days. If i do this, should i limit the carbs and increase good fats and a lot of protein? I already eat plenty of protein, because i buy those powders and i eat 1 pure protein bar a day...

    Honestly, i just want to cut up, but not lose muscle. I know i could simply cut and lose weight quickly by running 4 days a week, lifting 3 days a week and eating 2000 calories a day...I would lose weight very fast, but would i lose muscle and not be gaining in the gym? I want to continue and workout hard and maybe increase muscle size a bit (if possible) but i don't want to eat over maintenance anymore. I would rather have the shredded look...

    I currently workout 3 days week, no cardio. Now, i will continue to workout 3 days a week and add cardio. (2000 calories a day)

    Should i not drink milk?

  2. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    If you want to go for the low carb route, check into the anabolic diet or any CKD diet for that matter. The usual macro breakdown for the anabolic diet is somewhere around 30-40 percent of calories in protein and 60-70 percent of your calories in fats, 20-30 carbs a day is a good zone to stay at.

    You would stay low carb for 12 days, then carb load for two days. Then after that you would carb up 2 days for every 5 low carb days.
  3. New Member
    someguy1984's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    123

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    If you want to go for the low carb route, check into the anabolic diet or any CKD diet for that matter. The usual macro breakdown for the anabolic diet is somewhere around 30-40 percent of calories in protein and 60-70 percent of your calories in fats, 20-30 carbs a day is a good zone to stay at.

    You would stay low carb for 12 days, then carb load for two days. Then after that you would carb up 2 days for every 5 low carb days.
    Where do i find this diet? Also, what is CKD?
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Schecterx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    27
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    120

    Reputation

    Carbs are essential. However for them to be effective you have to have expenditure. I suggest for a week Only have carbs immediately after a workout. Limiting yourself will make your body RE-sensitive to INSULIN. Insulin is anti-catabolic/ANABOLIC. And created naturally when your body intakes carbs. I would do a 50/50 split of Maltodextrin/Dextrose. Stay away from sucrose and fructose. I could go on about the importance of Carbs, but in fear of my recommendations just being glanced over, PM me with your questions.
  5. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by someguy1984 View Post
    Where do i find this diet? Also, what is CKD?
    On one of the anabolic diet/ketosis/ckd threads theres a link to a book to download. CKD stands for Cyclic ketogenic dieting. Cyclic because carbs are cycled through the week between low carb, higher fat and protein days and high carb, much lower fat and moderate protein days. Ketogenic being the state in which your body prefers to burn fatty acids and ketones are the preferential source of energy for the body caused by a dietary intake of limited carbohydrates.

    Schecterx is right, carbs are important. And different diets emphasize different amounts of carb intake. Carb controlled diets (non ketogenic diets). On the CKD diets (the anabolic diet) carbs in the form of vegetables are mostly taken in during the week to get the needed fiber and nutrients in, and nothing more. On the weekends carbs are taken in excess to overload the muscles with glycogen.
  6. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Schecterx View Post
    Carbs are essential. However for them to be effective you have to have expenditure. I suggest for a week Only have carbs immediately after a workout. Limiting yourself will make your body RE-sensitive to INSULIN. Insulin is anti-catabolic/ANABOLIC. And created naturally when your body intakes carbs. I would do a 50/50 split of Maltodextrin/Dextrose. Stay away from sucrose and fructose. I could go on about the importance of Carbs, but in fear of my recommendations just being glanced over, PM me with your questions.
    Carbs are not essential.

    I would stay away from all high GI carbs including Malto and Dex and just use slower carbs.

    That being said, I used to be on a zero carb diet for 1 year and now I'm cutting and eating 233grams a day +/- 20g......

    Cut to a low bf% on high fat before and cut on a average/high carb before......as long as there's is a calorie deficit, it will work, you just have to see what's right for you.
  7. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Carbs are not essential.

    I would stay away from all high GI carbs including Malto and Dex and just use slower carbs.

    That being said, I used to be on a zero carb diet for 1 year and now I'm cutting and eating 233grams a day +/- 20g......

    Cut to a low bf% on high fat before and cut on a average/high carb before......as long as there's is a calorie deficit, it will work, you just have to see what's right for you.
    Carbs are however conditionally essential to the AD diet cycle.
  8. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Carbs are however conditionally essential to the AD diet cycle.
    Correct, they're only essential if you have a specific thing you're doing/following Insulin PWO, AD, etc..etc...

    But generally, carbs are never essential.
  9. Senior Member
    Manimalia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,473
    Rep Power
    815

    Reputation

    From the sound of it, the OP would not want to delve into something as insane as a CKD. Those things have to be done just so.....

    With that said, a TKD would likely be easier for him. Heck, even that is a bit of a pain in the ass. But don't take my word with too much weight, as I'm AS OF NOW simply just eating when I'm hungry. I don't measure sheyit no' mo'. I'm done with that. I ain't trying to be a bodybuilder by trade, so why bother?

    I simply just eat complex/fibrous carbs throughout the day, and stop eating them after my PWO meal. I get 40g protein five times a day with them meals. Sometimes I take some in before bed, too. I take me in some healthy fat with each meal as well. For instance, I will, in the morning, put a dab of pb and some chopped walnuts in my grits. Lunchtime, I'll put me an overasy egg over my chicken/bean/corn/veggie bowl. For postworkout, I have me another egg with my meat. At night, I eat me some milled flax and a couple eggs with my salmon. All my meat is cooked in a bit of sesame oil. Don't know how much fat/carbs I'm getting. Don't care either. I'm fueled. I'm fit. Enough for me. I find by being natural and just eating when hungry, I am losing weight (a bit of strength as well, but that is probably accounting for my workouts as well. I'm back on some strength stuff now. The stuff I began with. Woot. So I'll wager that the loss will be a thing of the past soon anyhow.)

    Try listening to your body, bud. It's a godsend for me. No more meticulous planning for me anymore. I ain't/won't be no bodybuilder.
  10. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    The ease of the diet really depends on the will of the dieter. AD is a pretty simple and straight forward diet. There are only a few things that need to be paid attention to.
  11. Senior Member
    Manimalia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,473
    Rep Power
    815

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    The ease of the diet really depends on the will of the dieter. AD is a pretty simple and straight forward diet. There are only a few things that need to be paid attention to.
    Well, it was a betch for me, and an innumerable amount of others from what I'd seen. It works, though. I made it work the second time around. Stayed on it for about seven weeks and lost some weight pretty well. And when I came back onto carbs slowly, my body sucked em right up and I adapted back well. But man, if you don't do crazy research/planning, it WON'T work. I ain't about OCD stuff anymore. Heck, I'm about to TRY and get thin for jiu jitsu and boxing. I ain't wanting to be 200 lbs. anymore. Now, I weigh about 193. I wanna hit 180-185 or so.
  12. Advanced Member
    ryaroberts's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    389

    Reputation

    i do zero carbs. well not literally zero carbs. i think thats impossible. 80% of my carbs come from fiber. i just increase my lean fats and omega 3's and i feel fine during workouts and throughout the day
  13. Banned
    Omen's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ryaroberts View Post
    i do zero carbs. well not literally zero carbs. i think thats impossible. 80% of my carbs come from fiber. i just increase my lean fats and omega 3's and i feel fine during workouts and throughout the day
    How long have you been doing that?

    I did a 100% carnivorous zero carb diet for 1 year.......

    You feel soo f**king good after a month or two.....especially if you're eating grass fed and game meat all the time......too bad it cost too much and aggression/arousal levels go through the roof.
  14. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    Well, it was a betch for me, and an innumerable amount of others from what I'd seen. It works, though. I made it work the second time around. Stayed on it for about seven weeks and lost some weight pretty well. And when I came back onto carbs slowly, my body sucked em right up and I adapted back well. But man, if you don't do crazy research/planning, it WON'T work. I ain't about OCD stuff anymore. Heck, I'm about to TRY and get thin for jiu jitsu and boxing. I ain't wanting to be 200 lbs. anymore. Now, I weigh about 193. I wanna hit 180-185 or so.
    Yeah it can be intimidating diet at first when you walk into it, the structure has to be learned, a good amount of research and planning is right. To be honest my first go at ketosis was tuna fish and olive oil for a few weeks straight. Then I just read a few books and simplified what I needed. What kind of jiu jitsu are you aiming for?
  15. Advanced Member
    ryaroberts's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    389

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    How long have you been doing that?
    um since summer. my body has become used to it. i tried going back on carbs for a week and i got bloated. so i went back to relying on fat for energy. i like it cause i can eat roughly the same amount of kcal without my stomach having that "full" appearance.
  16. Senior Member
    Manimalia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,473
    Rep Power
    815

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Yeah it can be intimidating diet at first when you walk into it, the structure has to be learned, a good amount of research and planning is right. To be honest my first go at ketosis was tuna fish and olive oil for a few weeks straight. Then I just read a few books and simplified what I needed. What kind of jiu jitsu are you aiming for?
    It'll be Brazilian.
  17. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    Ahh BJJ, good luck with that. Definitely one of the most chess match styles.
  18. Senior Member
    Manimalia's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,473
    Rep Power
    815

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    Ahh BJJ, good luck with that. Definitely one of the most chess match styles.
    I look forward to it. Hopefully it'll accept me back. Hahaha.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. An idea for bulking
    By Chico222 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
  2. CARBS later in the day while bulking??
    By planetfuzz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
  3. CARBS later in the day while bulking??
    By planetfuzz in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 02:28 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 07:44 PM
  5. low carbs and bulking clean
    By orvise in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in