oatmeal recipies

Beta BBer

Awards
as soon as i get through the last of my instant oatmeal (the packet stuff with the sugar) ill be switching to regular quaker oats.

does anyone have any recipies? i really dont know what to add into it, and unflavored is really gross.

i dont have a blender, so im not putting it with a shake.

just looking for regular recipies/add ins.

thanks all,

Joey

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
my all time favorite is adding peanut butter with little bit of equal or protein powder (choc). when adding powder, i tend to throw in a banana as well.

Sage

MadChild

Awards
During the summer, all I ate for breakfast for two months was plain oatmeal and milk and a protein shake. I just add water to the oatmeal, regardless of it being quick oats or not and put it in the microwave for 1 minute and then add milk to cool it off so I can eat it quickly. Suprisingly, I didn't get sick of the taste, but as soon as I got home after the summer I started eating eating the crap cereals we had around our house just for the sake of having something different.

Right now I'm going back to the plain oatmeal. I've added a sprinkling of protein powder to the mix before and it doesn't taste too bad, but I dink my protein shake separately so I can get more water.

TMack40

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like to throw on some dried blueberries and strawberries either that or a packet of splenda.

SUPAJAwS1

Awards
my favorite is to put some honey into it and a packet of splenda or 2 if ude like...just mix it all together and it seriously tastes better than like the flavored packets with the sugar.

n if ur cutting or something u can skip the honey and just use a few packets of splenda n itll still taste good.

Beta BBer

Awards
no cutting for me, im still trying to grow-
i never thought of trying splenda, just the regular oatmeal makes me a little queasy though.
lately for breakfast ive been eating 1 cup of raisin bran w/ 2 scoops of nlarge (trying to increase my carbs anyway)

weltweitefurcht

Awards
re

I just made a tasty homemade weight gainer,

16oz milk -16g protein
3 tablespoons Peanut Butter -12g protein
1 scoop Whey Protein (20g) Sometimes 2 scoops- 20g protein
1 banana-not sure protein
1/2 cup of Quaker oats-5g protein
(usually add 2 tablespoons canola oil as well, but not this time)

Oh man, the oats made it sooo much tastier, its like the flavor from the rest of the shake infused in the oats, and you got crunchy sweet pieces of the shake.
It tasted really great

Total Protein:53g exactly, maybe more. (not sure of banana protien)
Calories: About 900
Carbohydrates: 27g straight from the Quaker Oats (& a lot more carbs from the rest of the food.)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
a banana has approx 1 gram of protein.... nothing to consider when adding your daily protein count. ;)
But i salute you for your homemade gainer..... will take your gainer over any manufacturer's gainer anyday ..... :) Canola probably not your best choice of fat since e.v.o.o and flax readily avaible....

Sage

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I put three teaspoons of brown sugar in mine. Then I drink a whey shake along with it.

sawastea

Awards
How great! This board is filled with Univ of Florida people. I love it!

oatmeal with a scoop of ON whey and some blueberries/strawberries is AWESOME

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I either use a little honey, or brown sugar (which ever I have on hand), along with a few almonds and skim milk. A dash of cinnamon is also good. I make it thick 'cause I can't stand it runny.

MadChild

Awards
Anyone ever tried a plain, boneless, skinless chicken breast actually ON their oatmeal? I wanted the protein with the carbs without having to wash an extra plate. It's not too shabby!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
actuallty ive had. you get used to the mix..... i wouldnt do it for the taste though.... strictly for getting the good nutrients into your body. Suprised you have another member admit they've had chicken and oatmeal together?;) (im also i dude who eats eggs with pb all the time, everyday....

Sage

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever tried a plain, boneless, skinless chicken breast actually ON their oatmeal? I wanted the protein with the carbs without having to wash an extra plate. It's not too shabby!
Haven't done it on, but have eaten watered down plain oats with a stir fry or steak and veggies I'd cooked up before. Not a big deal, it was somewhat like eating an asian rice porridge w/meat on the side.

dalejmurphy

Awards
can't go wrong with the bb pancakes
1 cup oats)cooked
8 egg whites
ff butter
sugar free syrup
cook the oats, mix it into the seperated egg whites with a wisk and fry like a pancake with some pam, put on some ff butter and sugar free syrup and enjoy

Beta BBer

Awards
would it be a good idea to simply grind up the oats and drink them? would a coffee grinder work for this?
ive been trying to keep my carbs a lot higher (its been working a lot!) but have been consuming more whole wheat bread than i would like.

also, im taking nlarge2, which has a ton of malto, would i be better off mixing 100% whey with ground up oatmeal, or doing that as an meal replacement and keeping the nlarge for PW?

BrKonman

Awards
Originally posted by Beta BBer
would it be a good idea to simply grind up the oats and drink them? would a coffee grinder work for this?
ive been trying to keep my carbs a lot higher (its been working a lot!) but have been consuming more whole wheat bread than i would like.

also, im taking nlarge2, which has a ton of malto, would i be better off mixing 100% whey with ground up oatmeal, or doing that as an meal replacement and keeping the nlarge for PW?
Absolutely works wonders to grind your oatmeal in a coffee grinder and mix in with shakes. Homemade mrp's are the way to go. Just drop the nlarge2, no need for it. Whey + ground oatmeal is just as good post workout.

Beta BBer

Awards
thats the answer i was hoping for! plus i dont like malto right before bed, just doesn't seem good.

only concern is losing some calories. actually counting my calories on fitday.com and keeping carbs high has worked wonders!

Beta BBer

Awards
ok well i got the coffee grinder and have tried it for about a week now, but i just cant stand the taste of the oatmeal, even with my nlarge2... i bought some artificial sweetener, maybe i can mask the taste?

i guess its not going to taste like those yummy oatmeal packets with all the sugar in them.

MadChild

Awards
Now I have a use for my parent's old coffee grinder in our basement storage room.

Oh yeah for those who complain about the taste of oatmeal. I found this picture on Maddox.

Beta BBer

Awards
haha i saw it too! keep in mind that i was eating unflavored regular oatmeal with no sweetener whatsoever, i should have expected it to taste bad! 1 packet of sweetnlow with 2/3 cup of oatmeal was just fine by me, and now i can drop the nlarge and switch to regular whey...thinking about optimums...

phadedwish

Awards
haha i saw it too! keep in mind that i was eating unflavored regular oatmeal with no sweetener whatsoever, i should have expected it to taste bad! 1 packet of sweetnlow with 2/3 cup of oatmeal was just fine by me, and now i can drop the nlarge and switch to regular whey...thinking about optimums...
You should try Quaker Oatmeal's new "Weight Control" insta-oats. Comes in little packets. I got the Banana Bread flavor and it tastes like heaven in a bowl. It's got 3g fat, 29g carbs w/ 1g sugar, and 7g protein. Good stuff.

ryano

Awards
  • Established
Quaker has some new instant Oatmeal

Called Weight Control 7 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber with only
1 gram of sugar.

The bannana bread is fucking awesome.

HARDtotheCORE

Awards
This might sound a little sketchy... but its actually quite good. When your cutting and craaving some pasta and tomotoe sauce, but cant go for the high GI of pasta, try mixing some hot oats that are well cooked.. but not runny, with a good marinara sauce... that **** is tight. actually tastes like pasta if your not paying attention, and you can throw up cut up grilled chicken in it too.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I love just plain oats cooked nice and thick with splenda and sugar free maple syrup. I eat it once and sometimes twice a day. I dont think I will ever get tired of it.

Another thing I do ocassionally is use liquid baking flavorings in the oatmeal. There are many....cocunut, butter rum, mint etc that have no calories. That and some splenda and you have plenty of flavors to choose from.

italionstallion

Awards
  • Established
I always eat my oatmeal like this

.5 c oats
3 packs splenda
a few shakes of cinnamon
a few shakes of vanilla extract

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
actuallty ive had. you get used to the mix..... i wouldnt do it for the taste though.... strictly for getting the good nutrients into your body. Suprised you have another member admit they've had chicken and oatmeal together?;) (im also i dude who eats eggs with pb all the time, everyday....

Sage

I like to have my tuna w/ oats (separate bowls!!). It's great when you are in a hurry.

And I like the splenda and cinnamon method.

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've been searching yesterday thru the "High vs Low GI PWO-carbs" threads, those long ones, but I didn't quite find an answer to my question: Does grinding oats affects its GI ? I mean, I can imagine plain oats take quite a while longer to digest than the powder I have when I grind my oats..

I couldn't stand the taste of plain oats either, but you almost can't taste ground oats in a protein shake.. Great! :)

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
I've been searching yesterday thru the "High vs Low GI PWO-carbs" threads, those long ones, but I didn't quite find an answer to my question: Does grinding oats affects its GI ? I mean, I can imagine plain oats take quite a while longer to digest than the powder I have when I grind my oats..

I couldn't stand the taste of plain oats either, but you almost can't taste ground oats in a protein shake.. Great! :)

perhaps this link will help:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/176078-post40.html

WAHCHING

Awards
i add about 1 cup of oats or 1 cup and 1/2 mix it with a cup of water then take it out and it should be real thick and i just add 1/2cup milk or less then stir it till its gone and chop up a banana and 1tsp of honey and mix it in and leave it in the freezer till its really cool then eat it.

TURUGBY

Awards
  • Established
This might sound a little sketchy... but its actually quite good. When your cutting and craaving some pasta and tomotoe sauce, but cant go for the high GI of pasta, try mixing some hot oats that are well cooked.. but not runny, with a good marinara sauce... that **** is tight. actually tastes like pasta if your not paying attention, and you can throw up cut up grilled chicken in it too.
i am craving pasta, doesnt sound half bad.....

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
-1 cup oatmeal, add water until it starts to "float"...nuke that stuff for 50 sec.

-add a scoop of choc. protein powder
-two tbsp. natty pb
-sprinkle with splenda and mix it all up

It tastes sooooo gooddd!!!

That is my preworkout meal!

ryano

Awards
  • Established
any cookie recipies ? I usually eat my oats at work... if I premade some cookies it would be much more convenient. Im sure some extra egg whites could be beneficial as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mindgame Nutrition / Health 27
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0
DK0313 Recipes 0