Article: Intermittent Fasting Issues And Psychology

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Intermittent Fasting Issues And Psychology

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Oh man, let the controversy begin! I'm in just to see what people are going to argue about on this one.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Reasons why I love IF

1. it fits my schedule
    2. I have more time, less time preparing 6 meals a day
    3. I've seen positive results

with that being said, I am not going to argue too much with the Author. I've caught myself in these "binge periods" and can see where someone with limited willpower can go wrong and develop just plain bad habits that lead to disorders.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.
    Answers

I can definitely relate to this and going theough anorexia in the past its almost the opposite problem now, I love to eat a lot at once and this allows me to do this...other than that mental aspect I have not experienced any negatives to it
  5. Registered User
    Answers

interesting OPINION to consider
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by zefferin View Post
    interesting OPINION to consider
    It is. I followed IF two years ago and fell into this exact trap resulting in fat gain and chronic stress which took me months to recover from.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

I like eating too much to go hours and hours without food.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

This is utter bollocks. I have been doing IF for 2.5 years and I have never been in better shape. The idea isn't to fast all day and then pig out, you fast and then go back to eating like nothing has happened.

Training fasted is also better as the blood isn't in you're stomach helping your food digest it's in your muscles where it should be.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

if you are doing IF and are still eating junk, you are still eating junk. if you are doing IF and still eating too much, you are still eating too much. its not really that hard to figure out but after being a trainer for 9 years and now in IT for over 8 i know for a fact that most people are idiots.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by asooneyeonig View Post
    i know for a fact that most people are idiots.
    I witness the "dumbing down of America" everyday.
    Getting my "figure" back:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/254395-mountainman-1-oly.html#post4600696
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by mountainman33 View Post
    Oh man, let the controversy begin! I'm in just to see what people are going to argue about on this one.
    Lol yep.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

I only did it or 6 weeks or so and it helped me lose 1.5" on the waiste in that period while also increasing my insulin sensitivity.

I'm using it now for a few weeks at a time to "prime" my body into a bulking diet which consists of eating a normal bb'ing diet.
  13. Registered User
    Answers

if you are doing IF and are still eating junk, you are still eating junk. if you are doing IF and still eating too much, you are still eating too much. its not really that hard to figure out but after being a trainer for 9 years and now in IT for over 8 i know for a fact that most people are idiots.
    Good point to make. People use diet styles to try and bypass the critically necessary parts of an effective diet.

Case In point: Carb backloading.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

In for comments.
    BPS Rep
    www.bpsnutrition.net
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Quatie View Post
    blood isn't in you're stomach helping your food digest it's in your muscles where it should be.
    Statements like this have always been an issue for me. I heard this years ago about drinking some protein during my workout. A guy i knew from high school with crazy genetics but no knowledge of nutrition and a mediocre knowledge base of exercise told me "you shouldn't drink that during your workout, it takes blood away from your muscles". So there's not enough blood in your body to maintain multiple systems at the same time? Don't your muscles get even a minimal amount of "pump" during lifting depending on weight, rep, and set scheme no matter what's in your stomach? Isn't this pump created by increased blood flow? Isn't there an ever growing body of evidence that pre and intra workout protein (and depending on the study carbs) helps increase anabolism, and decrease catabolism, while helping to keep cortisol in check, increase exercise endurance, and decrease workout fatigue? Aren't these all things we want to get bigger and stronger?
    Getting my "figure" back:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/254395-mountainman-1-oly.html#post4600696
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Works well me. I dont pigout....the author does not appear understsnd the diet. Maybe that is why he had problems. Glad he is ok now.
    I have a cheat meal about once a week. Caffeine helps surpress hunger. I follow IF about 1/3 of the year during cuts only....not a big deal.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by bakerwil View Post
    Works well me. I dont pigout....the author does not appear understsnd the diet. Maybe that is why he had problems. Glad he is ok now.
    I have a cheat meal about once a week. Caffeine helps surpress hunger. I follow IF about 1/3 of the year during cuts only....not a big deal.
    I'll have to agree. It works very well with my schedule, specially when I'm trying to cut. I'm always rushed in the morning to get to class/work so I don't have time to make breakfast. Instead I just have a cup of coffee. I feel like this overall helps me increase my water intake since I down water when I start to get hungry. Also, I feel a lot more awake working out fasted. When I do break my fast, I don't pig out. I still eat a clean diet and hit my macros. Since I love to eat, having a small eating window helps me control the amount I eat and works wonders for a cut!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

In for arguments
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Answers

I've been on IF 1 year now. used it on a bulk and a cut worked great for me since i have a busy lifestyle. Isn't IF the lifestyle itself and not the actual diet? because you can do IF and carb cycle as your diet. and BTW while i was bulking on IF i stayed pretty leaner than the bulk attempts i've tried before
  20. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by iddc View Post
    I've been on IF 1 year now. used it on a bulk and a cut worked great for me since i have a busy lifestyle. Isn't IF the lifestyle itself and not the actual diet? because you can do IF and carb cycle as your diet. and BTW while i was bulking on IF i stayed pretty leaner than the bulk attempts i've tried before
    Good effort.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Works well me. I dont pigout....the author does not appear understsnd the diet. Maybe that is why she had problems. Glad she is ok now.
    Fixed ;)
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by Misfit28 View Post

Fixed ;)
    Wait..SHE?

That changes everything.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Wait..SHE?

That changes everything.
    Yep, the author's name is Dani Shugart.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Misfit28 View Post
    Yep, the author's name is Dani Shugart.
    Just binged her, she happens to be quite attractive.
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Just binged her, she happens to be quite attractive.
    I agree!
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Statements like this have always been an issue for me. I heard this years ago about drinking some protein during my workout. A guy i knew from high school with crazy genetics but no knowledge of nutrition and a mediocre knowledge base of exercise told me "you shouldn't drink that during your workout, it takes blood away from your muscles". So there's not enough blood in your body to maintain multiple systems at the same time? Don't your muscles get even a minimal amount of "pump" during lifting depending on weight, rep, and set scheme no matter what's in your stomach? Isn't this pump created by increased blood flow? Isn't there an ever growing body of evidence that pre and intra workout protein (and depending on the study carbs) helps increase anabolism, and decrease catabolism, while helping to keep cortisol in check, increase exercise endurance, and decrease workout fatigue? Aren't these all things we want to get bigger and stronger?
    i have seen similar studies talking about that. i was under the impression that the water to pro/cho amount was small. if memory serves me correct optimal intake keeps the volume as low as 8% of total fluid intake and your body thinks its a liquid and digests quickly and does not pull much if any more blood from elsewhere to absorb whats in the stomach. kind of like how gatorade and similar products are. for the amount of fluid the nutrients are low but just enough to have a positive effect.

but, i could be wrong. would not be the first time i have misremembered something.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

i have seen similar studies talking about that. i was under the impression that the water to pro/cho amount was small. if memory serves me correct optimal intake keeps the volume as low as 8% of total fluid intake and your body thinks its a liquid and digests quickly and does not pull much if any more blood from elsewhere to absorb whats in the stomach. kind of like how gatorade and similar products are. for the amount of fluid the nutrients are low but just enough to have a positive effect.

but, i could be wrong. would not be the first time i have misremembered something.
    You can actually go up to 11% in order to get effective nutrient uptake through your intestinal tract and your body will absorb those nutrients much faster than during full digestion.

But I was also alluding to the fact that protein in your system before lifting has been shown to have anti-catabolic/anabolic effects when dosing an hour before workout. I'm pretty sure a Texas school did a study on that. I'll have to find it.
  28. Registered User
    Answers

I think the author perfectly understands the diet. There are people who can consumer the same number of macros within a short feeding window; there are others, me included, who either pig out and consume far more or eat far less thinking that it will aid in more fat loss. What tends to happen with these people is that the feeding window continues to shorten as does the number of calories, which my case fell to 1000 - 1200 kcals a day, whilst maintaining the same volume of exercise.
    After a couple of monthsI developed chronic stress and destroyed my metabolism which took a long time to recover. All the author is saying is that this way of eating isn't for everyone due to its psychological impact and for certain individuals can have a devastating effect on their physiology.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

You described me to a T bro

IMO, you nailed it ;)

Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    I think the author perfectly understands the diet. There are people who can consumer the same number of macros within a short feeding window; there are others, me included, who either pig out and consume far more or eat far less thinking that it will aid in more fat loss. What tends to happen with these people is that the feeding window continues to shorten as does the number of calories, which my case fell to 1000 - 1200 kcals a day, whilst maintaining the same volume of exercise. After a couple of monthsI developed chronic stress and destroyed my metabolism which took a long time to recover. All the author is saying is that this way of eating isn't for everyone due to its psychological impact and for certain individuals can have a devastating effect on their physiology.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by saggy321 View Post
    I think the author perfectly understands the diet. There are people who can consumer the same number of macros within a short feeding window; there are others, me included, who either pig out and consume far more or eat far less thinking that it will aid in more fat loss. What tends to happen with these people is that the feeding window continues to shorten as does the number of calories, which my case fell to 1000 - 1200 kcals a day, whilst maintaining the same volume of exercise.
    After a couple of monthsI developed chronic stress and destroyed my metabolism which took a long time to recover. All the author is saying is that this way of eating isn't for everyone due to its psychological impact and for certain individuals can have a devastating effect on their physiology.
    With the experience I have had, I can see how this can happen. Thanks for pointing this out. For pigging out, I was referring to someone not sticking to their macros. Do this could certainly lead to problems playing catch up.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Has anyone tried LeanGains/Intermittent Fasting and HATED IT?
    By Whacked in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM
  2. Peptides and intermittent fasting (IF)
    By EArch in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
  3. intermittent Fasting and squeezing in proper timing
    By dark child in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 09:56 PM
  4. Replies: 75
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 09:31 PM
  5. Intermittent Fasting and PowerChews
    By Milas in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23