Article: Powerlifting Vs Bodybuilding

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    mrgoodbar0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    17168

    Napalm, I don't even know if I'd give the article any credit at all. Usually the trolls are the ones posting comments - not writing articles - except in this case.

    Seriously, the example of a typical workout was "This is a BB workout, and this is a power lifter testing max weight", it wasn't even the same comparison. The whole thing was completely asinine.

  2. Registered User
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,057
    Rep Power
    3301217

    This is one of the worst articles I have ever read. "Most powerlifters are clinically obese (with no muscle definition)"; they may not have "muscle definition" but they are by no means not muscular. Google Dave Tate and tell me he's not muscular.

    Poor article is poor
  3. Registered User
    Nihsnek's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    403

    Completely ignorant article. I would rather be strong with a little of fat than weak and tiny.

    Strength is the building block of athleticism.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Nihsnek's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    403

    The douche who wrote this needs to spend more time under a barbell rather than reading some ****ing textbook.
  5. Registered User
    12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    94

    The fact that this "author's" sample powerlifting routine was a typical, gradual progressive-overload routine, clearly shows he knows next to nothing about how to achieve maximal strength & speed.
    The best powerlifter's in the world train maximal strength, maximal speed, conditioning, restoration & technique.
    Of course, there are amateur & professional powerlifters who don't know how to train, just like there are amateur & professional bodybuilders who don't know what they're doing either. This "author" is generalizing everybody which is just ignorant.
    Great powerlifters may lift maximally 4-6~ times each week, which not only takes an immense physical toll on someone, but an even greater mental & emotional toll, as well. The ability to recover between sets, exercises & workouts like this requires excellent conditioning.

    Bottom line: powerlifting & bodybuilding = apples & oranges.
  6. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    645614

    Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
    The fact that this "author's" sample powerlifting routine was a typical, gradual progressive-overload routine, clearly shows he knows next to nothing about how to achieve maximal strength & speed.
    The best powerlifter's in the world train maximal strength, maximal speed, conditioning, restoration & technique.
    Of course, there are amateur & professional powerlifters who don't know how to train, just like there are amateur & professional bodybuilders who don't know what they're doing either. This "author" is generalizing everybody which is just ignorant.
    Great powerlifters may lift maximally 4-6~ times each week, which not only takes an immense physical toll on someone, but an even greater mental & emotional toll, as well. The ability to recover between sets, exercises & workouts like this requires excellent conditioning.

    Bottom line: powerlifting & bodybuilding = apples & oranges.
    Agreed.

    On a slightly different note, anyone care to mention a few powerlifting programs I could consider after my cycle? I've never done one and would like to do it for 6-8 weeks...
  7. Registered User
    smoker145's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    0

    5/3/1
  8. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Agreed. On a slightly different note, anyone care to mention a few powerlifting programs I could consider after my cycle? I've never done one and would like to do it for 6-8 weeks...
    You could give 531 a try, but ideally you'd want to run it more than 6-8 weeks since it's based on 4 week cycles. If you want to run it for 12 weeks, it'd put 30 lbs on the big three and your military press.

    If you need any more info, shoot me a pm and I'll hook you up.

    I'm so deep into 531 I have an excel file that plans my whole year out for me...
  9. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    645614

    Originally Posted by napalm View Post

    You could give 531 a try, but ideally you'd want to run it more than 6-8 weeks since it's based on 4 week cycles. If you want to run it for 12 weeks, it'd put 30 lbs on the big three and your military press.

    If you need any more info, shoot me a pm and I'll hook you up.

    I'm so deep into 531 I have an excel file that plans my whole year out for me...
    See thats what I need man. If I could come out of that program 30lbs stronger on squats and bench I could add some major mass to my frame once starting bodybuilding style back up...
  10. Registered User
    rob112's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,028
    Rep Power
    333052

    You could do 5/3/1 on the main lifts and do bodybuilding assistance work. It is a versatile program geared overall at strength.
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/231713-rob112-3-means.html
    "Train like a beast, think like a human"-RTS
  11. Registered User
    CincyKiller45's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,361
    Rep Power
    153281

    If you do it, run a log. I'd be very interested in how you respond/like it.
  12. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    See thats what I need man. If I could come out of that program 30lbs stronger on squats and bench I could add some major mass to my frame once starting bodybuilding style back up...
    I think it'd be a great idea. Are you doing any contests in the near future?

    A 12-16 week run on 531 along with eating your brains out, followed by however you contest prep would be a great log...
  13. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    645614

    Originally Posted by napalm View Post

    I think it'd be a great idea. Are you doing any contests in the near future?

    A 12-16 week run on 531 along with eating your brains out, followed by however you contest prep would be a great log...
    Well I'd planned on doin a few contests next summer/fall...

    Maybe 3 contests total. Still need to gain bout 20lbs of mass before I cut down for a show..
  14. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Well I'd planned on doin a few contests next summer/fall... Maybe 3 contests total. Still need to gain bout 20lbs of mass before I cut down for a show..
    How long is your normal contest prep?
  15. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,427
    Rep Power
    645614

    I think I'll give myself 14 weeks. That leaves me about 5-6 months to figure out 20lbs of mass.
  16. Registered User
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    detroit
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,210
    Rep Power
    430707

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    I think I'll give myself 14 weeks. That leaves me about 5-6 months to figure out 20lbs of mass.
    1st, in that timeframe, 531 would put 50-60 lbs on your big lifts. Caveat: you have to do the bulk of the program as written. The beauty of it is you can tailor your assistance pretty much any way you want.

    2nd, With a caloric surplus, IMO 20 lbs is easily achievable.

    Just let me know if you want to know the nuts and bolts...
  17. Registered User
    12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    94

    It's commonly thought that there are two methods of training: structural training and functional training. And once one's training becomes too much of one, then there is benefit and progress to be made by implementing the other.
    Structural training is training that affects one's frame and build - structure. Functional training has to do with performance.
    For example, a bodybuilder whose leg development has diminished or plateaued will surely benefit from more functional training for awhile. So, if said bodybuilder were to increase his 1-rep max in the Squat from 500 to 700lbs, then it's reasonable to assume that his leg size would increase as a result.
    There is no absolute best way to train, but rather to vacillate between functional and structural training or to combine both types in single cycles.
    Personally, I believe the Westside Barbell methods of training are superior to others as they incorporate the Maximal Effort method, the Dynamic Effort method, Repetition Failure method, restoration training, plyometrics and general and specific conditioning training. This eliminates the need to constantly find a new set&rep scheme to avoid accommodation. It's actually a rather complicated system to employ correctly and to its fullest potential, but when done, I believe it offers the best way to achieve specific, continuous gains in size and strength.
  18. Registered User
    CountryLiftin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,030
    Rep Power
    702535

    fueledpassion, I agree 531 will be good for you. Get on it. Feel free to step into my log if you want to know more, or one of the other guys.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. burn more calories Powerlifting then bodybuilding??
    By brownstown89 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 12:03 PM
  2. powerlifter into bodybuilder?
    By tilldeath in forum Pro Bodybuilding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 03:35 PM
  3. Fitness vs. bodybuilding training
    By Broly in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
  4. pat robertson vs bodybuilder
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 06:42 AM
  5. Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding belt
    By cpa5oh in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in