Article: Surviving Fasted Cardio

1. Registered User

Article: Surviving Fasted Cardio

2. Registered User

Surprising that an article from T-Nation suggests using one of their way over priced products. Skip the Mag 10- consume some BCAA's instead.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  181 lbs.

I hate reading an article, only to get halfway through to find it is actually an advertisement
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

done we all??!!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Mentioning Mag-10 and Plasma....shocker there
  6. Registered User

Originally Posted by tcun44 View Post
    Surprising that an article from T-Nation suggests using one of their way over priced products. Skip the Mag 10- consume some BCAA's instead.
    I was just thinkin the same exact thing. BCAA's are even better choice though IMO. MCT might be a thought, too.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

that's some serious BS, damn marketers are getting clever. They may think this is an effective method, but it's actually very annoying to waste my time.
  8. Registered User

Originally Posted by mattvdh View Post
    that's some serious BS, damn marketers are getting clever. They may think this is an effective method, but it's actually very annoying to waste my time.
    Well, the approach is correct and good but the sticking point for me was saying that "Mag-10" was the secret weapon when actually just about anything that helps preserve amino acids during cardio would have worked. BCAA's would be ideal here, but MCT's would work as well as just about any other protein supplement that has a broad amino profile with BCAA's in the mix.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  187 lbs.

Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Well, the approach is correct and good but the sticking point for me was saying that "Mag-10" was the secret weapon when actually just about anything that helps preserve amino acids during cardio would have worked. BCAA's would be ideal here, but MCT's would work as well as just about any other protein supplement that has a broad amino profile with BCAA's in the mix.
    what are your thoughts on combining bcaas with mct oil? Ive been doing that lately before my workouts lately in the morning. I always either lift or do cardio in the mornings and i have something small to eat (usualy egg whites and oats) about 30minutes before the bcaas/mct oil mix then head straight to the gym (lifting days) and i skip the meal if im just doing cardio. Im trying to just maintain my muscle and burn that fat off right now.
  10. Registered User

Originally Posted by creed2981 View Post
    what are your thoughts on combining bcaas with mct oil? Ive been doing that lately before my workouts lately in the morning. I always either lift or do cardio in the mornings and i have something small to eat (usualy egg whites and oats) about 30minutes before the bcaas/mct oil mix then head straight to the gym (lifting days) and i skip the meal if im just doing cardio. Im trying to just maintain my muscle and burn that fat off right now.
    If your stomach can handle it, it's the best pre-workout you can do. MCT's have tons of evidence for their effectiveness in sparing glycogen stores or in the case of fasted-training they do well to replace glycogen for energy. Combining BCAA's with it would minimize any possibility of muscle-wasting, however, if the point were to burn fat off and you were doing low-intensity cardio like suggested in the article, I wouldn't think MCT's would be necessary. Just the BCAA's would do well.

MCT's is a good application for lifting weights.
    BCAA's is good for any type of training, imo.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  194 lbs.

So I could use this approach to cardio with my simple XTEND amino acid drink instead of this MAG-10? Would you still recommend the caffeine tablet 10 mins before getting up?
  12. Registered User

I've been listening to Iron Radio for the past few years and find that Dr. Lowery is a straight-up, no-nonsense guy. He is all about starting with the science and then tempering it with real-world application. He has not been afraid to call BS on any number of unproven or overblown supplement claims no matter what company, BioTest included. That said, the fact that this solution for fasted cardio found its way onto T-Nation does not surprise me, but please do not let that mislead you to thinking Lonnie is a shill for BioTest.

I'm not sure how/why this edited version of Shugart's interview of Dr. Lowery surfaced at this time, but make no mistake, Dr. Lowery never stated in the original interview/article that he used Mag-10. In truth, the actual solution Dr. Lowery used was 10g casein hydrolysates with an addtiional 3g l-Leucine. I think it is a VERY different situation if you were to substitue Mag-10 for the original protocol. I say that because whereas Dr. Lowery's solution was Zero Carb, the individual constituent ingredients (for the most part) in Mag10 are casein hydrolysate=Protein and HBCD (Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin)=CARB in an ~2:1 ratio (20g Pro/11g CHO). Even though l-Leucine is somewhat insulinogenic in is own right, I offer that the ingestion of actual carbohydrate prior to the cardio takes it into the realm of a self-defeating exercise.

I respect and trust Dr. Lowery and am highly disappointed in the shameless manipulation of his original experimental protocol by BioTest/T-Mag for their own gain.
  13. Registered User

The article misrepresents Dr. Lowery's protocol. In the original interview with Shugart, of which this is an edited version, Dr. Lowery disclosed he used 10g Casein Hydrolysate w/ a supplemental 3g of l-Leucine. Mag-10 on the other hand, while still containing the Casein Hydrolysate, also contains Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin (HBCD) a new-ish CARB source in an ~2:1 ratio, supplying 20g Cas. Hydro and 11g HBCD. So therein is a HUGE difference in the protocols.

So while the leucine is in itself somewhat insulinogenic, adding actual fast-acting carbs to the mix entirely changes the physiological, hormonal environment pushing far enough away from a fasted state to make it a completely different experiment.

Shameless manipulation by T-Mag/BioTest. Not surprising, but sickening considering the values that Dr. Lowery represents. He stands as a voice of science-based reason, regularly calling BS on this very type of garbage. I am highly disappointed because it drags his name into the dirt with all the shenanigans that the T-Mag/BioTest crew perpetrate with their overblown claims and ridiculously extensive/expensive protocols.
  14. Registered User

Originally Posted by MyKH3LL View Post
    So I could use this approach to cardio with my simple XTEND amino acid drink instead of this MAG-10? Would you still recommend the caffeine tablet 10 mins before getting up?
    Yes, I think I'll give this a shot on my next cut although I think I'll shoot for 125 bpm instead of 120. I wouldn't drink much XTEND though, maybe 10g max. Although I like the idea of casein protein, too since it is slow releasing.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  194 lbs.

Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Yes, I think I'll give this a shot on my next cut although I think I'll shoot for 125 bpm instead of 120. I wouldn't drink much XTEND though, maybe 10g max. Although I like the idea of casein protein, too since it is slow releasing.
    Ok, thanks :)

So you think I could slam down a Casein shake before starting (I currently have ON Casein in choc supreme! :D) and then sip on my XTEND every 15 mins as detailed in the article for basically, the same effect?
    I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there... Please save me, Superman!
  16. Registered User

Originally Posted by MyKH3LL View Post
    Ok, thanks :)

So you think I could slam down a Casein shake before starting (I currently have ON Casein in choc supreme! :D) and then sip on my XTEND every 15 mins as detailed in the article for basically, the same effect?
    No slamming! Slamming a drink would likely give too much insulin response which will shutdown lipolysis. I think the idea is to sip on it just enough to avoid muscle wasting without making a huge impact on productive fat-burning.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.

Lol mag-10 is the only way to spare muscle guys. You'll waste away and be catabolic and lose all those gains if you skip the mag-10....
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.

Overblown advertising claims or not Mag10 is an unbelievable protein. Anyone who tries it quickly realizes how superior it is. Supposedly its 97% di and tri peptides but if that was true I would think they would want to advertise it.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone using Drive and or RPM before fasted cardio?
    By EasyEJL in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
  2. Fasted Cardio + ECA Stack
    By C0rk in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM
  3. fasted cardio questions
    By ItsHectic in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 06:15 PM
  4. How to dose BCAAs and carbs for fasted cardio