Article: Creatine Better Post Workout

  1. Registered User
    The Press's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,233
    Answers
    0

    Article: Creatine Better Post Workout



  2. Registered User
    audix2359's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    33
    Answers
    0

    "Results showed that there was a significant time effect for fat-free mass and the bench press, but fat mass and body weight did not change significantly."

    This doesn't add up to me. If fat-free mass goes up, but body weight is unchanged, then fat mass must go down. Or if fat-free mass goes up but fat mass is unchanged, then body weight must go up.

    So how can fat-free mass go up, but fass mass and bodyweight is unchanged? This doesn't make any sense to me.
  3. Registered User
    twiztid7's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  186 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18
    Answers
    0

    But...who was phone?


    Seriously though, if you are on creatine for any significant period of time, your muscles are saturated. I don't see how timing can be relevant if you maintain that saturation.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    yanin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6
    Answers
    0

    Ima sprinkle creatine in my post workout snickers bar so ill have creatine and sugar at once. Olympia here I come
  5. Registered User
    superbeast668's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,372
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by twiztid7 View Post
    But...who was phone?

    Seriously though, if you are on creatine for any significant period of time, your muscles are saturated. I don't see how timing can be relevant if you maintain that saturation.
    Totally agree with that... It's like saying injecting long esters post workout makes a difference.
    I'm just a dude chasing a dream
  6. Registered User
    willymacmont's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    27
    Answers
    0

    It would be nice if the writer would give us the other perimeters measured, not just fat-free mass and bench press.
  7. Registered User
    daoistic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by audix2359 View Post
    "Results showed that there was a significant time effect for fat-free mass and the bench press, but fat mass and body weight did not change significantly."

    This doesn't add up to me. If fat-free mass goes up, but body weight is unchanged, then fat mass must go down. Or if fat-free mass goes up but fat mass is unchanged, then body weight must go up.

    So how can fat-free mass go up, but fass mass and bodyweight is unchanged? This doesn't make any sense to me.

    I think they mean statistically significant, which means that if the same results turn up for a larger sample size or for a longer period, it could grow to significance.
  8. Registered User
    purebred's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,125
    Answers
    0

    Yet another creatine article advocating splitting hairs and overanalyzing of creatine supplementation.

    And an annoying attempt to market VPX.
  9. Administrator
    Board Administrator
    Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,576
    Answers
    1

    Lighten up Francis...
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,532
    Answers
    0

    disagree with the article but just my opinion.
  11. Registered User
    Hajiroku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  166 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    98
    Answers
    0

    Assuming any of this is even applicable what are the proposed effects on those who take it pre and post?
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,532
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Hajiroku View Post
    Assuming any of this is even applicable what are the proposed effects on those who take it pre and post?
    for me there isnt a difference at all between the two.
  13. Registered User
    Pandabear's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Hajiroku View Post
    Assuming any of this is even applicable what are the proposed effects on those who take it pre and post?
    All you really need to know is that creatine is awesome. It works, and you should take it. For maximum affect it works better with an insulin response, e.g. carbs or a protein shake, or even both as the pathway activates better with insulin.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,532
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    All you really need to know is that creatine is awesome. It works, and you should take it. For maximum affect it works better with an insulin response, e.g. carbs or a protein shake, or even both as the pathway activates better with insulin.
    do you have proof of this or is this just what you have heard and believe it?
  15. Registered User
    Pandabear's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by R1balla View Post

    do you have proof of this or is this just what you have heard and believe it?
    I'll shoot you some studies when I get home later tonight mate
  16. Registered User
    Pandabear's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    do you have proof of this or is this just what you have heard and believe it?
    Here you go: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18652081

    Specifically this is due to the creatine uptake being stimulated in the small intestine and kidneys through an insulin response. There is some evidence to support though that high carb meals slow the absorption, ultimately though the key message is simple. Insulin + creatine helps with the absorption overall. There are other studies too, but my time is limited at the moment. Feel free to check the sources listed in the study, plenty of reference material in there.

    Hope that Helps.
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,532
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    Here you go: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18652081

    Specifically this is due to the creatine uptake being stimulated in the small intestine and kidneys through an insulin response. There is some evidence to support though that high carb meals slow the absorption, ultimately though the key message is simple. Insulin + creatine helps with the absorption overall. There are other studies too, but my time is limited at the moment. Feel free to check the sources listed in the study, plenty of reference material in there.

    Hope that Helps.
    nice read. i just have one issue. the article says it "may.... " and "it seems like...". no def answers.
  18. Registered User
    Pandabear's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    nice read. i just have one issue. the article says it "may.... " and "it seems like...". no def answers.
    This is true. Although most mechanisms are known when it comes to creatine there are some that are not as well researched. There is no definitive answer if you were looking for a "this is caused by", etc. Hard science takes a long time to become hard science. Even well established theories can take a long time to be grounded. In any case, when I look at a lot of new research I look for the common errors in weak papers, if it is one. If it isn't and there is more evidence to support the "may" and "It seems like" then I err on the side of the evidence. In this case I'll keep taking my creatine with my carby meals and protein shakes to induce an insulinegenic response as it appears it may help the skeletal muscle. But hey man, do whatever you like; it's one guys opinion eh? :)

    Cheers,
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Creatine and Post Workout Supplements BSN Cellmass
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
  2. Pre/post workout nutrition article.
    By SteelEntity in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
  3. What's better post workout?
    By SweetLou32937 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
  4. Which is the better post-workout shake?
    By BOHICA in forum Bulking
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
  5. Grape Juice + Creatine Post Workout
    By Bildo_21 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in