Article: Liver Created Fructose Causes Insulin Resistance

1. Registered User

Article: Liver Created Fructose Causes Insulin Resistance

2. Registered User

Bout freggin' time this board posts something that I've been preaching for a while now.

There are several studies out there that date back to the 80's and 90's that spell out the detriment of fructose in the diet, this actually being one of those topics.

Granted, it wont take but a few short minutes before fruit advocates come in and argue "but its got nutrients"... so does vegetables and OTC vitamins lol.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  222 lbs.

Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Bout freggin' time this board posts something that I've been preaching for a while now.

There are several studies out there that date back to the 80's and 90's that spell out the detriment of fructose in the diet, this actually being one of those topics.

Granted, it wont take but a few short minutes before fruit advocates come in and argue "but its got nutrients"... so does vegetables and OTC vitamins lol.
    Completely agree, although fruit is beneficial it should be a treat or part of a cheat meal to really lean up (with exception of the few low carb fruits like rasberries and blackberries). I remember years ago going to vitamin shop and they tried to tell me I could eat one type of protein bar bc it only had 3g net carbs and I was on a low carb diet. In reality it was 20g of sugar with like 17g of fiber added (net meaning total grams of carbs subtract grams of fiber). I then told the salesperson if I got a glazed donut with 35 grams of carbs and injected it with 33grams of beneful if it would be acceptable on my low carb diet lol. Bottom line is a carb is a carb and they should primarily be utilized pre and post workout...
    •   

4. Registered User

what your stance on eating fruit bro?
    1. Don't eat at all
    2. Eat in small amounts
    3. Eat in moderate amounts
  5. Registered User

Originally Posted by exrugger View Post
    Completely agree, although fruit is beneficial it should be a treat or part of a cheat meal to really lean up (with exception of the few low carb fruits like rasberries and blackberries). I remember years ago going to vitamin shop and they tried to tell me I could eat one type of protein bar bc it only had 3g net carbs and I was on a low carb diet. In reality it was 20g of sugar with like 17g of fiber added (net meaning total grams of carbs subtract grams of fiber). I then told the salesperson if I got a glazed donut with 35 grams of carbs and injected it with 33grams of beneful if it would be acceptable on my low carb diet lol. Bottom line is a carb is a carb and they should primarily be utilized pre and post workout...
    Agreed. I perceive fruit as "Nature's Candy"
  6. Registered User

Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post
    what your stance on eating fruit bro?
    1. Don't eat at all
    2. Eat in small amounts
    3. Eat in moderate amounts
    During contest prep = 1. Don't eat at all

During bulk = 2 or 3 but preferably 2.

Fructose does not do a good job replenishing muscle glycogen. I'd rather have standard sugars like maltodextrin because a much greater percentage of those types go to the muscle first. A majority of fructose gets converted into fatty acids, which then go to fat cells. This is especially true when you are already in a caloric surplus.

But because I'm an ecto, it isn't a big deal for me when bulking. If I were fat, however, I'd avoid it like the plague.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  222 lbs.

During contest prep = 1. Don't eat at all

During bulk = 2 or 3 but preferably 2.

Fructose does not do a good job replenishing muscle glycogen. I'd rather have standard sugars like maltodextrin because a much greater percentage of those types go to the muscle first. A majority of fructose gets converted into fatty acids, which then go to fat cells. This is especially true when you are already in a caloric surplus.

But because I'm an ecto, it isn't a big deal for me when bulking. If I were fat, however, I'd avoid it like the plague.
    100percent agree with this
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  167 lbs.

Although I agree with you that fructose is the last place you should be looking to refuel this particular study has to do with glucose being converted to fructose in the liver causing pre-cursers to metabolic syndrome such as diabetes.

The full study can be found here: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/13...comms3434.html

Although glucose in high amounts causes issues especially in sedentary people, glucose is perfectly fine for people who are active, which I think you agree with. To quote: "High serum glucose concentrations are known to induce the polyol pathway and increase fructose generation in the liver."

Just to clarify so that people aren't thinking that this is specifically relating to fructose consumption in the die, because it isn't, it's relating to glucose saturation.

Hope that was helpful.
  9. Registered User

Originally Posted by Pandabear View Post
    Although I agree with you that fructose is the last place you should be looking to refuel this particular study has to do with glucose being converted to fructose in the liver causing pre-cursers to metabolic syndrome such as diabetes.

The full study can be found here: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/13...comms3434.html

Although glucose in high amounts causes issues especially in sedentary people, glucose is perfectly fine for people who are active, which I think you agree with. To quote: "High serum glucose concentrations are known to induce the polyol pathway and increase fructose generation in the liver."

Just to clarify so that people aren't thinking that this is specifically relating to fructose consumption in the die, because it isn't, it's relating to glucose saturation.

Hope that was helpful.
    Yes, it was. Thanks man
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Glucosamine causes insulin resistance
    By Fried Cheese in forum Supplements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
  2. Chromium and Insulin Resistance
    By Dwight Schrute in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2006, 12:50 PM