Article: Bringing Up Lagging Legs

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Tampoco View Post

Lol yes you are a god among men... 235x5.

I recommend you get on a basic program and give it a year or so before you get creative. Set ambitious goals for yourself and plan the next year as a journey for 400lb dead, 300lb squat, 225lb bench or something like that.

Front squats are great, but a 5x5 scheme is going to have you around ~80% of your max, which is tough after already hitting back squat.

Today my deads were 5x5 at 455 and on my 5th set I went balls out for 10 reps. Couldn't quite lock out #11. Glutes quit on me
    Could you actually recommend me a program to try? Remember, I am a Marine so cardio is a must unfortunately!
    Keepin it around 40/35/25...
    F*** supplements, be a d*** man and get that **** naturally ya dig?!!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Answers

There are dozens of viable options. I like the simplicity of 5/3/1 or stronglifts 5x5. Just have a look around and see what you can commit to. Cardio isn't a bad thing, but if you're not POUNDING calories your bodyweight and training numbers won't improve. You must eat to grow!

Lift heavy 3-5 times a week with full ROM on the main compound moves and you'll be fine. The little moves don't mean much. Lol the convo about the unimportance of little moves is what got me talking in this thread to begin with.

I'm a CSCS for whatever that's worth.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Answers

There are dozens of viable options. I like the simplicity of 5/3/1 or stronglifts 5x5. Just have a look around and see what you can commit to. Cardio isn't a bad thing, but if you're not POUNDING calories your bodyweight and training numbers won't improve. You must eat to grow!

Lift heavy 3-5 times a week with full ROM on the main compound moves and you'll be fine. The little moves don't mean much. Lol the convo about the unimportance of little moves is what got me talking in this thread to begin with.

I'm a CSCS for whatever that's worth.
    Check your inbox bro!!!! I sent you some mail!
    Keepin it around 40/35/25...
    F*** supplements, be a d*** man and get that **** naturally ya dig?!!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'8"  295 lbs.
    Answers

Hey

I don't have any experience with restriction training, but I imagine it hurts like hell. I do worry about vein thrombosis and or compartment syndrome, but I would love to see accelerated gains in the hams and calves.

What has your experience been with the method?
    Following a surgery that left me unable to lift for several months, I incorporated as much BFR training as possible initially. Because I was limited I tried training calves a couple times per week. The protocol is to wrap just below the knee or above the knee if the former is intolerable on a 7/10 scale, 10 being instant pins and needles. I used extra long wrist wraps. 4 sets (30, 15, 15, 15) with 30-45 seconds rest with about 30% of your 1rm. I did seated and standing calves with only 50-75 lbs resistance. It has been the only way I could achieve a "pump" in my calves and if I were ever to train calves again, I would not train them without this protocol.
    BFR is currently being studied as a means of increasing arterial compliance in the elderly. I would highly encourage it, and would consider it very safe if done correctly.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bringing up weakness in bench
    By blitzkriegjim in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 03:07 PM
  2. Using IGF to Bring up One Muscle Group?
    By dsw222 in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 10:57 PM
  3. Lagging Legs
    By mitch911 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 06:03 PM
  4. step ups for legs. I like em but?
    By charger in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
  5. Article-Boiling up the facts about pasta and GI