Article: Why Do We Drink Milk?

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Why Do We Drink Milk?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'8"  295 lbs.
    Answers

Written by an MD not a nutritionist. "Promotes weight gain, cancer...." could be said about literally millions of things all worse than milk. Several uncited generalizations. A propaganda article at its finest...
  3. Registered User
    Answers

The weight gain effect is likely true in certain cases, so long as overall calorie consumption is high enough to begin with. Milk has a double negative effect - both fats and lactose, which is a sugar that breaks down equally as fast as any other simple sugar. Neither are necessarily good for you unless you are starving. As far as IGF-1 levels being increased? Really? That's a marginal increase. You'd probably receive more IGF increases due to working out than you would with milk, lol. So in that case, we could assume that working out and stimulating growth is a terrible idea for cancer patients....NOT. Plus, human IGF is localized, which means it is only produced to serve broken muscle tissues, not necessarily the cancerous sites, unless the cancer is located in the muscle tissue being worked. IGF-LR3 however is a different story. That modified IGF is bad for cancer patients because it lingers in the bloodstream, attaching itself to receptors all over the body. In any case, the above notion is false.

With that said, the low fat, high carb comments are misinforming. The type of carbs you eat will causes different effects on the body, as well as how much protein you eat with those carbs/fats.

A low-fat, high complex carb & high meat protein diet will NOT result in a slower metabolism and certainly will not encourage Type II diabetes. The low fat diet only works if you have excellent dietary discipline to eat little to no simple sugars & quality protein at every meal. I know this from experience that it truly works if done in this way.

Fat makes you feel full. For ectomorphs like myself, eating more than my metabolism can burn is a tough chore so I generally lean more towards carbs rather than fats. Plus, I perform much better in the gym with higher amounts of carbs, as anyone would.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Answers

that is good news. igf can be Taken orally!
    no?
    the anti-milk propagandists change the story as fast as the previous ones are refuted.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Is MILK really what we should be complaining about these days... ? Good grief.

So, unless you're a calf you should switch to human breast milk for your post shakes or Wheaties?

-
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Legitimate IGF-1 cannot be taken orally. For it to actually take effect, you need to inject it w/ bacteriostatic water or acetic acid & water.

There are oral supplements that may increase IGF-1 such as deer antler velvet. It is more like a booster though and isn't IGF-LR3.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

I want some breast milk!!! The dang stuff is expensive though....
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by madds87 View Post
    I want some breast milk!!! The dang stuff is expensive though....

Agreed
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Causes type 1 diabetes? I don't think so. It is genetic.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  218 lbs.
    Answers

So we can start pinning milk for the IGF-1 to get shredded! HELLZ YEAH!
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'8"  295 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by propho View Post
    So we can start pinning milk for the IGF-1 to get shredded! HELLZ YEAH!
    Yeah mix that with deer antler and we will look like ronnie coleman overnight. And yes it will turn you black too
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Answers

I used to be like a lot of you every time I saw a anti milk article I went crazy. Saying its all just BS and milk is one of the greatest bodybuilding foods ever. I would drink a half gallon of milk a day to hit my protein macros. But every day after breakfast (drinking my first two cups of milk) I would go to the gym and feel lethargic, bloated, sick, and gassy. About 6 months ago I decided to start cutting out dairy and gluten and it has been awesome I'm not tired anymore, I never feel sick before the gym now, and I don't rip a** while leg pressing now. I'm not saying milk should be ripped off the shelves, but I do feel personally that in the long run it does more harm then good. I would also bet that if most of you cut it out of your diet within two months you wouldn't miss it and you would probably notice some changes for the better.

Ice cream is still the s*** though, and I'll never be able to give it up.
    Bigcountry's Getting a little smaller: Epi/Stano Log

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Answers

I'm totally going to sound like a hippy here, but the industrialized "Modern" dairy industry is to blame here. Humans have been harvesting animal milk for thousands of years without the metabolic problems that we are facing now, as long as you have the appropriate enzymes to digest it.

Raw milk, from grass fed cows, who aren't fed a steady diet of antibiotics just in case they get sick, IS FANTASTIC.

I'm not saying it will cure all your ills, or turn you into the Incredible Hulk overnight, but it is a completely different situation than the crap you get at most grocery stores. You don't even want to know what they have to do to reduced fat milk to make it drinkable.
    Last edited by anathemax; 07-12-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by Bigcountry08 View Post
    I used to be like a lot of you every time I saw a anti milk article I went crazy. Saying its all just BS and milk is one of the greatest bodybuilding foods ever. I would drink a half gallon of milk a day to hit my protein macros. But every day after breakfast (drinking my first two cups of milk) I would go to the gym and feel lethargic, bloated, sick, and gassy. About 6 months ago I decided to start cutting out dairy and gluten and it has been awesome I'm not tired anymore, I never feel sick before the gym now, and I don't rip a** while leg pressing now. I'm not saying milk should be ripped off the shelves, but I do feel personally that in the long run it does more harm then good. I would also bet that if most of you cut it out of your diet within two months you wouldn't miss it and you would probably notice some changes for the better.

Ice cream is still the s*** though, and I'll never be able to give it up.
    A bodybuilder can easily do well without milk, so I agree. In fact, I'd say if you wanted to get really shredded and be in top contest prep condition, you'd have to give up milk one way or another since it also has a buttload of sugars in the form of lactose in it. Generally speaking, I tell people that if you drop the milk, table sugar & fruits and fruit juices from your diet for a month you'll take off an inch or better in the waiste and likely be one step further away from becoming diabetic.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

yeah it sounds hippyish, lol. Organic bodybuilder, lol.

j/k. Too bad that straight milk from the cowtit is not available to about 95% of us. Heck, I live near the country and it's still a chore to get access to such. It's a minimum wage job to get that milk 3-4 times per day, lol.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Thank you for the counter fueledpassion. I currently have dairy cut out since I'm prepping. But during off season dairy is my go to!
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.
    Answers

This guy is crazy!! Clearly, he isn't a bodybuilder or powerlifter. In my opinion, it is the perfect food, you get whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, casein protein, etc from it... I'm assuming he wants everyone to switch to soy protein. On another note, whole milk is great to use when you need to bulk! A gallon a day, keeps the doctor away,lol :)
  18. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by anathemax View Post
    I'm totally going to sound like a hippy here, but the industrialized "Modern" dairy industry is to blame here. Humans have been harvesting animal milk for thousands of years without the metabolic problems that we are facing now, as long as you have the appropriate enzymes to digest it.

Raw milk, from grass fed cows, who aren't fed a steady diet of antibiotics just in case they get sick, IS FANTASTIC.

I'm not saying it will cure all your ills, or turn you into the Incredible Hulk overnight, but it is a completely different situation than the crap you get at most grocery stores. You don't even want to know what they have to do to reduced fat milk to make it drinkable.
    Spot on. Everyone should look into the negative effects pasteurization/homogenization does to the fat/protein in milk. (In fact, this is one of the major flaws in the china study, they fed the rodents denatured casein)

Unfortunately, I think it's only WA & CA that its legal to sell raw milk. If you have never tried raw milk from grass fed cows I highly suggest. Tastes like heaven.

Now there are different types of dairy cows that are known to produce milk that is more bioavailable to for humans to consume. But that is another long winded comment.

Just like anything else there is more that meets the eye. I suggest everyone research this further if you consume a lot of milk.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

We drink milk because thousands of years ago someone thought it would be a good idea to domesticate cows in order to get milk from them on a regular basis, and because since then, generation after generation of people have agreed that it was a good idea and continued the practice. I'm sure there have always been people who disagreed with the practice, because people are just like that. Personally I don't mind, just means more for me!
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Worst article ever
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by XeriCSnipE View Post
    Worst article ever
    Want to elaborate?

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/231194-bigcountrys-getting-little.html
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  80 lbs.
    Answers

Does any other animal drink another animals milk? Does any other animal drink milk once it is fully grown? It makes you think.
  23. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by inda11 View Post
    Does any other animal drink another animals milk?
    Yes. There is animal interspecific adoption both in domestic situations and in the wild without human intervention.
    Does any other animal drink milk once it is fully grown?
    It absolutely does happen. I've seen it on animal planet; along with a lioness adopting an antelope.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

You can't make a stupid generalization about whether milk is good for everyone or not. You have to use your brain and look at yourself, your goals, and your diet and figure out if milk is right for you and how much. Look at guys like Lilly and wendler. They drink a gallon a day and haven't grown any tumors other than their massive muscles and are some of the strongest guys in the world. Like anything it's good in moderation. And if you are lactose intolerant or don't handle fats/sugar well, or have a slow metabolism and aren't active then fine. Don't drink it. Guys like me and many others go all day long and burn almost all the sugar and fat we take in. Milk doesn't hurt.

I want to know what this guy does think kids should drink. Water? Sure. Tell that to the kids.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Answers

Does any other animal drink another animals milk? Does any other animal drink milk once it is fully grown? It makes you think.
    No, humans are basically the only species that will drink another animals milk. There are cases when adult animals may scavenge and drink milk that humans leave out, like with cats and dogs. But there are no species where adult animals seek out milk. The only situation that i know of where one animal feeds another milk is when sometimes cows are trained ( its supposed to be very difficult and the cows are worth a lot) to feed babies that are not there own, but this is in domesticated situations and is very hard to do and I'm pretty sure to only feed other calfs and maybe horses.

I found the video where the lioness "adopted"the baby antelope this was the only case known to ever have happened she did not feed the baby milk. The baby made multiple attempts to go back to other antelopes but the lioness would always scare them off. In here life she "adopted" several other antelopes all of which died while with her. Basically they said she was nuts and was kidnapping babies.

Mammals are born producing lactate but as they age there body turns off this ability. The only rare situation where this does not happen is with, some groups of Western Europeans and a very small group of North African people other then that the majority of the human race is lactose intolerant.

26. Registered User
    Answers

No, humans are basically the only species that will drink another animals milk. The only situation that i know of where one animal feeds another milk is when sometimes cows are trained ( its supposed to be very difficult and the cows are worth a lot) to feed babies that are not there own, but this is in domesticated situations
    I've already said yes. There is animal interspecific adoption in the wild without human intervention. :p
    I found the video where the lioness "adopted"the baby antelope this was the only case known to ever have happened she did not feed the baby milk.
    She wasn't pregnant or had cubs, so she wasn't producing milk. That is not the only case. There is another one as well. Two documented cases of what little bit humans actually observe...
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

How the heck is a wild animal just gona walk up to some other animal and start sucking? I don't really think it's fair to compare humans to other species. I think there's a pretty obvious difference. There are thousands of things we take and do and make that no other organisms do.
    Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/226478-country-gets-huge.html#post3905023
  28. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    How the heck is a wild animal just gona walk up to some other animal and start sucking?
    How? What do you mean how? Is it supposed to take a miracle?
    Mammals are born producing lactate but as they age there body turns off this ability. The only rare situation where this does not happen is with, some groups of Western Europeans and a very small group of North African people other then that the majority of the human race is lactose intolerant.
    I'm not Western European or North African, nor am I lactose intolerant.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
    How? What do you mean how? Is it supposed to take a miracle?I'm not Western European or North African, nor am I lactose intolerant.
    I think you're are taking my statement the wrong way. I'm saying we shouldn't EXPECT other species to seek out the milk of other species as humans do. I agree it does happen. I'm a big supporter of milk.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  255 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
    How? What do you mean how? Is it supposed to take a miracle?I'm not Western European or North African, nor am I lactose intolerant.
    How do you know your not lactose intolerant ? My symptoms were very mild so much so that I just attributed them to normal digestion.

I'm not trying to say everyone shouldn't drink milk. All I'm say is that it is unnatural for adult mammals to drink it, and if you say your drinking it for health reasons then I can add why not drink goats milk or camels milk. Both are easier for the body to digest and contain far more vitamins then cows milk.

Plus cross species adoption has nothing to do with what we are talking about anyways were talking about full grown animals seeking out and living off of milk.

31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'8"  295 lbs.
    Answers

We have frontal lobes too. Thats generally enough thought on this topic for me
  32. Registered User
    Answers

How do you know your not lactose intolerant ? My symptoms were very mild so much so that I just attributed them to normal digestion.
    I go long periods consuming milk, and long periods without it. I don't notice any symptoms when I drink it every day for months.
    why not drink goats milk or camels milk. Both are easier for the body to digest and contain far more vitamins then cows milk.
    If it didn't cost more I might try it. Also, goat's milk is high in chloride and low in B12.
    Plus cross species adoption has nothing to do with what we are talking about anyways were talking about full grown animals seeking out and living off of milk.
    It was a response to inda11 insinuating that it never happens under any circumstances. Adult humans don't live off of milk either(except for 2 cases I've read). 2 cups is only 280-300 calories. As for grown animals not doing it, that is still false. Feral cats, Western gulls, and Pale-faced sheathbills steal milk from elephant seals.
    Red billed oxpeckers steal milk from impalas. Lions fight over who gets to eat the utter(and hence the milk) of pregnant or nursing animals that they kill. Pigs regularly break into dairy barns to steal milk from cows. I've also seen a clip on Animal Planet of an adult(or "teenaged") Water buffalo push a nursing calf out of the way to drink the milk.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Do not drink milk with Dbol???
    By Kraker in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
  2. NO products can inhibit strength so why do we take them?
    By justreading in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM
  3. Why Do We Have Sex ???
    By anabolicrhino in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
  4. How much milk do you drink daily/weekly?
    By vision in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM
  5. Why do we workout thread?
    By TheUnlikelyToad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM