Article: Power Vs Strength

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Power Vs Strength

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Answers

There must be a hyphen missing from between some of these numbers. 45 sets of 3? Can't be.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

There is some good info in this article and I know 1 short piece cannot cover everything. But some basics might be good. For example, I have never really thought about my lifting but I have been lifting now about 25 years. Basically, I just wanted to remain strong while my contemporaries fell apart. So, I do 3 or 4 sets of everything with 8 to 12 reps. This article intrigued me about power. So, should I still warm up before every exercise? Now I do a warm up using about 50% of my max 10 or 12 rep lift. Is that still done in a power regime? What about body weight exercises - like pull ups or push ups? Still go balls out til you drop for 3 or 4 sets or are they off the plan? Any other advice???
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  167 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by bill1369 View Post
    There is some good info in this article and I know 1 short piece cannot cover everything. But some basics might be good. For example, I have never really thought about my lifting but I have been lifting now about 25 years. Basically, I just wanted to remain strong while my contemporaries fell apart. So, I do 3 or 4 sets of everything with 8 to 12 reps. This article intrigued me about power. So, should I still warm up before every exercise? Now I do a warm up using about 50% of my max 10 or 12 rep lift. Is that still done in a power regime? What about body weight exercises - like pull ups or push ups? Still go balls out til you drop for 3 or 4 sets or are they off the plan? Any other advice???

Hi Bill,

My advice would be to still warm up to prevent injury; "grease the groove" so to speak. Power training is very specific so I would focus on maybe 3 to possibly 5 exercises you want to increase power in. If you want to increase pull up explosive power I would focus on clap pulls and chins and variations there of. Levers are also very useful as well as "skin the cat" (it's an exercise, youtube it). Push up variations like clap pushups all the way to Thai pushups, triple claps and aztecs. I would start with clap pushups, move to thigh slaps and then advance to a superman pushup before doing Aztecs or Thai pushups, as I found them the hardest.

Yes you can do it with additional weight, that's up to you. Keep the rest intervals long and the reps low and go for maximum acceleration. When assessing a power program it's important to have good mobility, so be sure to check your shoulder/scapula area is functioning properly; hip alignment is good and your feet and ankles move well. It's easy to injure yourself when something is out of balance and you attempt a full power movement. Happy hunting.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Halodrols anabolic power vs ... Cardio
    By Jasen in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 03:11 AM
  2. HIIT vs Strength Training vs circuit
    By pizzathehut in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
  4. Size vs Strength IA Article