Article: Crossfit Moves You Should Do

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    You're a jealous human being. Whats the matter cross fit didn't give you the body you were promised? Whats surprise! Lifting high reps and no weight and you didn't gain muscle?! You also didn't eatalot either.... Ohemgee what could've caused you NOT to get yoked?!
    Contrary to popular belief, not everyone lifts weights to be 235@12% BF or to pull 600+ on the DL or squat 600+ for reps. Some people lift for quality of life, mental stability, athleticism, relative strength and conditioning, etc.

Also, you mentioned "he didn't gain muscle". In what world does the amount of muscle you gain determine your maximum health and strength levels?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Originally Posted by superbeast668 View Post
    Any of you guys look like this at 5'7" 190? http://www.professionalmuscle.com/fo...-crossfit.html

Some of the exercises like overhead squat and thrusters are pretty legit.
    Of course they are, no one can deny that overhead squats are a legit exercise or thrusters. It is just that most people have no concept of Olympic style lifting because some of the lifts involve a bit more coordination and varying strength vs deadlifts, squats, and bench presses which require a different type of skill set and strength albeit, strong none the less.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    So y'all are just better than everyone just not the best at anything haha.
    THawk, that really isn't a fair statement to be honest. I have pulled 550 for reps and squatted 550 for reps; for my size that is a significant amount of weight. I do CF six months out of the year and I am not "weak" by any means. Also, I do this with a herniated disk at L5. To say that CF has no benefit is purely irresponsible and full of buffoonery.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    You must be new here...
    Dumb indeed. Trust me the gentlemen you speak of did not get "big" performing "crossfit" exercises. They did so the old school way, then transitioned.

Please just stop with your venomous and uninformed comments

Btw crossfit is just a hodgepodge of traditional exercises mixed together. Period...
    Your last statement basically makes you a hypocrite somewhat. If CF is a hodgepodge of traditional exercises (which I agree it is) and most people "GET BIG" from doing the traditional exercises, then why cannot one get "BIG" from using a mixture of CF and strength training? You cannot lift 135 for reps and get huge, you correct in that regard. But, if you use the methods which I have used, CF for x months, strength training for x months and power lifting for x months, then it all works out perfectly. And, best of all, I stay joint pain free and injury free AND I keep my conditioning at a supreme level..

No one can deny that it has worked for me because I have done this for 10 years before these moves were "labeled" as crossfit.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    Xf in itself isn't a bad idea...its just the idea behind it has rubbed lots of people the wrong way.

They take classic OLs, attach a new name to them, do a ridiculously high number of them in succession, slap a label on them like "crossfit" and you have literally a multi million dollar idea. Add a "professional competition" into the mix and its a business mans dream.

I really do think crossfit has its role if done correctly, its just unfortunate how its come to be because now you have a bunch of Joe's straight out of highschool going to get "Xf coach creditionaled" or whatever the Hell its called and they don't teach proper form or mechanics and ppl get hurt or worse yet spread even more bad form and advice.

That's the problem i have with crossfit. Its not necessarily the lifts, its the idea in general. Combine that with a bunch of fanboys and its a bbs or strength guys worst nightmare.

But to each their own. I like the idea of HIT and HIIT but Xf isn't the way to go about doin.g it IMO. Can you benefit from a WOD? Sure! But if its not done properly in conjunction with a proper diet, schedule, or training/coaching- your asking for issues to arise
    There are people in all walks of life teaching things which they have no idea to teach properly including bodybuilding, power lifting, conditioning, etc. I agree, the guy that taught me my "CF" moves knew exactly what he was doing because if he had not, I would have been injured after 10 years of doing them. And, he never called it "CF" because "CF" did not readily exist 10+ years ago.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.

Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    And, he never called it "CF" because "CF" did not readily exist 10+ years ago.
    Truth
    Independent Review
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

There are people in all walks of life teaching things which they have no idea to teach properly including bodybuilding, power lifting, conditioning, etc. I agree, the guy that taught me my "CF" moves knew exactly what he was doing because if he had not, I would have been injured after 10 years of doing them. And, he never called it "CF" because "CF" did not readily exist 10+ years ago.
    That's true. There is all sorts of bad info and misinformation in all athletic communities not just crossfit. Im not knocking crossfit, I feel it got to big for its britches too quick and now it has to deal with a bunch of idiots going around giving it a bad name..

It also doesn't help that a large portion of the population that does crossfit/advocates crossfit hates on anybody that doesnt do it because they feel it reigns supreme for health/fitness/well being/athletisism. The inverse is true too of BBs and strength/powerlifters that knock crossfitters.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  257 lbs.

Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    Michael phelps doesn't do laps at a water park for a reason
    awesome....
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

THawk, that really isn't a fair statement to be honest. I have pulled 550 for reps and squatted 550 for reps; for my size that is a significant amount of weight. I do CF six months out of the year and I am not "weak" by any means. Also, I do this with a herniated disk at L5. To say that CF has no benefit is purely irresponsible and full of buffoonery.
    Read my other comments and you can tell I was being sarcastic. But to be fair that really is the crossfit mantra if you think about it. If comparing a crossfitter to someone's strong suit they don't match up. So crossfitters like to compare themselves to the other peoples' weak link. Therefore in their mind they are better than them yet are the best at nothing(except maybe crossfit but who counts that?).

Also I said crossfit is fine but it has to be programmed right. Year round metcons without a strength phase is stupid. Which is what crossfit started out as or projected itself to be. Don't know whose idea or when strength started becoming a key component but that is when it started to gain some legitimacy.

If it gets some couch potato doing something great. But to me there are better options out there.

And like others said if you want to do crossfit go to a box.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

I want to know where all these CFers are that compare themselves and say they are better than people? I've been to quite a few CF gyms and comps and everyone I have run into is very humble and hasn't claimed to be better than anyone. My guess is you ran into a d-bag or two and then just decided that all CFers were arrogant. That is about as accurate as saying all bodybuilders are meat heads
    I also think a lot of people here are not exactly aware of the average CFers goal. For the most part from what I've seen it's not to look like a body builder, or to lift like a power lifter. The goal is just to get fit, and improve yourself from where you were before.
    I guess I'm just sick of all the generalizations.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    I want to know where all these CFers are that compare themselves and say they are better than people? I've been to quite a few CF gyms and comps and everyone I have run into is very humble and hasn't claimed to be better than anyone. My guess is you ran into a d-bag or two and then just decided that all CFers were arrogant. That is about as accurate as saying all bodybuilders are meat heads
    I also think a lot of people here are not exactly aware of the average CFers goal. For the most part from what I've seen it's not to look like a body builder, or to lift like a power lifter. The goal is just to get fit, and improve yourself from where you were before.
    I guess I'm just sick of all the generalizations.
    So you have never heard the comparison of being able to run further than a powerlifter or stronger than an endurance athlete?

Fittest athlete on the planet?

I guess I am just tired of seeing crossfit articles haha.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

So you have never heard the comparison of being able to run further than a powerlifter or stronger than an endurance athlete?

Fittest athlete on the planet?

I guess I am just tired of seeing crossfit articles haha.
    I think you may be taking that out of context. The point of that is to say that CF doesn't think people should specialize in only 1 aspect of fitness and having no real weak points being the goal.
    As far as the fittest on the planet.....lame marketing by Reebok, I got nothin! Haha
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

I think you may be taking that out of context. The point of that is to say that CF doesn't think people should specialize in only 1 aspect of fitness and having no real weak points being the goal.
    As far as the fittest on the planet.....lame marketing by Reebok, I got nothin! Haha
    You still get my point. And that is the feel of the message.

Haha I am sure ole glassman had a hand in that too.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

You still get my point. And that is the feel of the message.

Haha I am sure ole glassman had a hand in that too.
    I hear ya man! I just hope people out there realize that there are quite a large number of us that just like the type of workouts that a GOOD CF gym provides!! There are a sh+load of crappy gyms making CF look really bad!
    And Glassman can eat my a$$! Fat old sh*tbag!!!
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

I hear ya man! I just hope people out there realize that there are quite a large number of us that just like the type of workouts that a GOOD CF gym provides!! There are a sh+load of crappy gyms making CF look really bad!
    And Glassman can eat my a$$! Fat old sh*tbag!!!
    Ya just sucks that there are not enough of them and they are not always affordable.

To be honest I was asked to help start a cf box haha. At the time I considered it. You know try to be one of the good ones. Communications broke down and I am not sure what happened.

Ok everyone just hate on glassman and I will be happy haha.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whoever moved you guys should be shot.
    By poison in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 12:05 PM
  2. What do you all do for a living?
    By Rock Lee in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 08:38 PM
  3. THIS SUX, What would you guys do?
    By INFLUENCER in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 03:30 PM
  4. what do you guys do for shoulder training?
    By hamper19 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 07:07 AM
  5. knowing what you're doing
    By sage in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 12:25 PM