Article: Front Squat Vs Back Squat

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Front Squat Vs Back Squat

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Umm I have to disagree with this post. Due to surgeries on both shoulders, my range of motion is limited. So behind the back is very uncomfortable so I use the front method. I think I've gotten great results. Thus, heavy weight means you have no choice but to use every muscle to get that steel up. I think its all about comfort bro!
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

On what tissues do you think that 695 lbs in the front squat is sitting on, make that grinding and smashing on? Let me tell you. It's directly on the shoulder joint structures: the muscle, ligaments, joint capsule and sitting directly on the unprotected AC joint. I have tried these. The bar doesn't sit perfectly still. It rolls a little bit both ways because it is being stabilized by by what two fingers worth of pressure. If you are looking for a chance to compress and inflame your delicate shoulder structure, I'd say have at it. There a lot better ways in the gym to put load on your leg and hip structure than front squats pictured above. The ego should be left at home when picking exercises. If you do injure your shoulder structure, you can't train. Is it worth it? Not for me.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
    On what tissues do you think that 695 lbs in the front squat is sitting on, make that grinding and smashing on? Let me tell you. It's directly on the shoulder joint structures: the muscle, ligaments, joint capsule and sitting directly on the unprotected AC joint. I have tried these. The bar doesn't sit perfectly still. It rolls a little bit both ways because it is being stabilized by by what two fingers worth of pressure. If you are looking for a chance to compress and inflame your delicate shoulder structure, I'd say have at it. There a lot better ways in the gym to put load on your leg and hip structure than front squats pictured above. The ego should be left at home when picking exercises. If you do injure your shoulder structure, you can't train. Is it worth it? Not for me.

I agree with you bro! I don't go heavy on the squats at all. Why n the hell would someone wanna push damn near 700 lbs out their arse anyway! Lol!!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  222 lbs.
    Answers

I'd be more concerned about growing a skinny beard.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by Blue Reflex View Post
    Umm I have to disagree with this post. Due to surgeries on both shoulders, my range of motion is limited. So behind the back is very uncomfortable so I use the front method. I think I've gotten great results. Thus, heavy weight means you have no choice but to use every muscle to get that steel up. I think its all about comfort bro!
    First off, That's what safety squat bars are for
    Secondly, squatting is not supposed to be comfortable. If you want to progress anywhere in your life you have to step out of your comfort zone. That's all there is to it

Originally Posted by Blue Reflex View Post

I agree with you bro! I don't go heavy on the squats at all. Why n the hell would someone wanna push damn near 700 lbs out their arse anyway! Lol!!
    I would. Who WOULDN'T want to back squat 700lb??
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by aceroni View Post
    First off, That's what safety squat bars are for
    Secondly, squatting is not supposed to be comfortable. If you want to progress anywhere in your life you have to step out of your comfort zone. That's all there is to it

I would. Who WOULDN'T want to back squat 700lb??
    To each is own bro! Your missing what I'm saying. I'm all about stepping out of that comfort zone. I talking about a position that you feel confident in and not being injuried or re-injuried.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Walking into traffic is stepping out your comfort zone also and not too smart. Stepping out of your comfort zone is an ego statement. If you are in it for that thats fine. The article was not about safety squats. If it was I would say that is a whole different animal. What I was saying is how the front squat is pictured, which is how most people I have seen do them, is not a good way to load the legs and hip structures because it contains too much risk to delicate structures, all so you transfer more of the load to the quads. It is easy to load the quads without this movement is my point.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by DownUnder View Post
    Walking into traffic is stepping out your comfort zone also and not too smart. Stepping out of your comfort zone is an ego statement. If you are in it for that thats fine. The article was not about safety squats. If it was I would say that is a whole different animal. What I was saying is how the front squat is pictured, which is how most people I have seen do them, is not a good way to load the legs and hip structures because it contains too much risk to delicate structures, all so you transfer more of the load to the quads. It is easy to load the quads without this movement is my point.
    I'm not even sure what you mean man, all i'm saying is listen to your body. If you're feeling strong go after it, and don't be afraid to struggle a little under the weight, that's how strength and myofibril gains are made.

Never sacrifice form for weight, i'm not saying that.. If you feel weak or tight, just back off a little that day.

And I love front squats but if inn going heavy i'm back squatting.

Also, I train for no one but myself.
    I don't train for my ego I train for progression. I've been training since I was fourteen years old. I love training and I will train until the day I die.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Squats vs. Hack Squats
    By gunzblazin1x in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
  2. Are front squats lower back pain free?
    By Santee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
  3. Free Squat Vs Smith Squat
    By goleafsgo1216 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
  4. how much less will a front squat be than a back squat be on average?
    By underdog13 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 07:11 PM
  5. Front Squat vs Leg Press
    By MEH89 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 07:35 PM