Article: Principles For Older Lifters

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Principles For Older Lifters

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Good article, good points to keep in mind. I am 66 and one my problems is doing too much. Luckily there haven't been any serious overuse issues. So, it is good to read that a little less might be a lot better. Thanks.
  3. BBB
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.
    Answers

Good comments. I'm 63 and still making progress in the gym. My arms measured at 17 1/4" cold and that's the largest they have ever been. I'm 5'-8" and 187 lbs. The only area that is problematic for me is my waist line. Even when following a strick diet it keeps increasing moderatly as I age. I am contemplating talking to my doctor about TRT. I think this will help. My workouts are short and intense. I only workout three times a week (sometimes only two). More than that and recovery is a problem. Age should never be an excuse. Do what you can do safely but keep moving forward.
    •   

4. New Member
    Answers

One of the better articles I have read. Since I am turning 50 soon, it makes sense to recalibrate my thought process on lifting. I would much rather lift less weight with better form to avoid long term injuries. If I could turn back the clock, I probably would not have lifted as heavy back then and avoided 3 knee surguries that still bother me to this day.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  206 lbs.
    Answers

good motivational article. i'm 54 and something as simple as training 4 days/wk instead of 5 has made a big difference in terms of recovery and remaining pain free. The point about protein is something i'll adhere to more consistently. Nice to hear we're considered "masters" too!
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Answers

That dude in the pic is awesome!
    Independent Review
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by PalmFist View Post
    That dude in the pic is awesome!
    That dude in the pic is Andreas Cahling Pro Bodybuilder from the 70`s and 80`s
    and was IFBB Professional Mr. International.
    www.musclesurf.ch www.xlnutrition.ch www.hardcoremuscle.ch www.proteincorner.ch
    Train hard but smart
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'4"  125 lbs.
    Answers

Fantastic article - and I'm someone who can and will find the flaws. Do you have any older women who train and write articles? I'd love to write for AM. I've got a lot of exercise history. I feel the same as Charles when it comes to never pushing it when a joint or muscle is tweaked. The older you get especially. You're asking for trouble.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Why is this guys arm yellow?
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Thanks for the article man. I'm 46 and have been getting a little discouraged about lifting, I feel like a kid in this bunch though. I'm going to be recalibrating my workouts a bit with some of the advice here, for example I can box squat 400 lb, full back squat kills me though, so maybe I'll just not do it. I might get 10% more benefit from it, but I get 300% more ouch, just doesn't seem like a good cost benefit ratio.
  11. New Member
    Answers

This is a well written article
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

As a 48 year old, ex-power lifter, I have had to rethink my training and expectations. We must adapt our training to prevent needless injuries just because we want to lift the same loads we did in our twenties. I am definitely a smarter lifter now because I have to be.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  177 lbs.
    Answers

i am going to reaccess my training regiment. i awill be 52 this year and i constantly contend with injury problems i.e. leg , back escpecially. i need to up my rep but lower my weight do them until they jsut start to hurt and quit. my wife keeps saying you aren't twenty anymore face it. need to start heeding the womans words!
  14. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Answers

Excellent article

Originally Posted by bill1369 View Post
    Good article, good points to keep in mind. I am 66 and one my problems is doing too much. Luckily there haven't been any serious overuse issues. So, it is good to read that a little less might be a lot better. Thanks.
    I'm 42 now, and need to go heavier in training. However, my left shoulder is aching constantly from behind the neck presses when I was in my 20's. Taking age and recovery into the equation I decided to go for more reps and train groups that don't entirely isolate the shoulder. Been doing it for two weeks now and da..dah... no more shoulder pain. So where injury is concerned, a little less is certainly better in some aspects, at least temporarily.

Thanks for a very informative piece Charles. Great to hear a personal perspective from a master like yourself.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anabolics tailor made for older lifters?
    By jpk in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
  2. OTC "Anabolics" for Older Lifters
    By mondugal in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 04:27 PM
  3. HST gains for heavier lifters
    By mastertech in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM
  4. NHA Log for older folks