Article: Golden Rules Of Lifting

1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Golden Rules Of Lifting

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

So intensity is key and yet longer rest periods to regain almost 100% of strength back is needed? Isn't that an oxymoron?

I've been cutting rest time down to raise my intensity and shorten workouts. I would say I have 75% of my strength for my next set and use about 30 sec rest time. I used to use 1 min, always.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

For a short workout where the object is to build muscle mass means you'll be lifting heavier weights. The longer rest is required to lift the heavier weights for 4-6 reps to failure. If your resting for only 30sec you probably wouldn't be able to perform your next set if you truly lifted to failure in 4-6 reps on your last set. When they talk about intensity I think they mean lifting truly to failure on each set, not necessarily the pace of the workout.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by 6andaHalf View Post
    So intensity is key and yet longer rest periods to regain almost 100% of strength back is needed? Isn't that an oxymoron?

I've been cutting rest time down to raise my intensity and shorten workouts. I would say I have 75% of my strength for my next set and use about 30 sec rest time. I used to use 1 min, always.

Intensity doesn't necessarily mean the pace of the workout. Any workout that utilizes heavy weights with 4-6 reps to failure is going to require a longer rest period to get your strength back.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

Well, I understood his point well. For a Mass gaining cycle, intensity should be met with weight rather than rest period or volume.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Intensity in a clinical setting is referring to %1 rm &/or effort put into a set or sprint (%top speed) not overall.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Well I guess if you do things the same for long enough than results obviously diminish. I've always lifted heavy 6 rep sets with almost 100% recharge in between sets.

Now that I only give myself 30 sec rest and shoot for the same weight/ rep scheme I've gotten increased results in size. I do see all of your points though. After I get comfortable lifting the same weight and reps with 30 secs as I did with the 1 min rest, I will raise the weight and go back to 1 min rest. Seems to work for me as a progressive load.
    Currently logging: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/236161-dymethazine-4-ad.html
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Excellent article, seriously.

6andahalf - intensity refers to % of 1RM lifted (in other words, how hard you work on a set by set basis).

Longer rest periods = higher intensity.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Good rules to lift by
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Answers

Is he really all natural?? Sorry but I can't believe this
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Excellent article, seriously.

6andahalf - intensity refers to % of 1RM lifted (in other words, how hard you work on a set by set basis).

Longer rest periods = higher intensity.
    I do understand...

So a workout @ 70% 1rm to failure is still not considered "high intensity" because its not 90-95% for less reps and still ultimately reaching failure??

As much as I understand, it is still confusing by definition of the word "intensity". If sprinting on uphill is considered HIIT then what is sprinting on flat ground? Not as "high intensity"? I understand you are using near 100% "effort" either way but you will not last as long uphill just like lifting your 70% 1rm to failure vs 90% to failure. Both still forms of full on "intensity". I can still lift @ 90% of 1rm for 1 rep and it still not be a form of "intensity".

Although I may not be using the definition like the fitness world does, you should be able to reach high levels of intensity through many rep ranges IMO.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Is he really all natural?? Sorry but I can't believe this
    Haha right? Looks a bit too gnarly to be giving me advice on natty lifting.... or 99% of people on this forum
  13. Registered User
    Answers

I applaud hard work but find it very hard to believe that he is "all natural"
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Haha right? Looks a bit too gnarly to be giving me advice on natty lifting.... or 99% of people on this forum
    HAHA gnarly indeed...
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I do understand...

So a workout @ 70% 1rm to failure is still not considered "high intensity" because its not 90-95% for less reps and still ultimately reaching failure??

As much as I understand, it is still confusing by definition of the word "intensity". If sprinting on uphill is considered HIIT then what is sprinting on flat ground? Not as "high intensity"? I understand you are using near 100% "effort" either way but you will not last as long uphill just like lifting your 70% 1rm to failure vs 90% to failure. Both still forms of full on "intensity". I can still lift @ 90% of 1rm for 1 rep and it still not be a form of "intensity".

Although I may not be using the definition like the fitness world does, you should be able to reach high levels of intensity through many rep ranges IMO.
    Yeah it's a little confusing I agree. But think of it as % closer to your MAX effort and it makes a lil more sense. Shorter rest does increase intensity but is an glycolytic aerobic (endurance) intensity increase, not your anaerobic power or phosphocreatine sys which builds muscle power n strength
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I hate when people talk trash speculating on weather or not an athlete is natty just because they have a physique thats beyond what most of us can achieve without the aid of drugs
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I hate when people talk trash speculating on weather or not an athlete is natty just because they have a physique thats beyond what most of us can achieve without the aid of drugs

True. I think of a few things when that mindset comes into play.

1) The rules don't change when you are on gear. In fact, things just get amplified. Training, diet and lifestyle all must remain as the cornerstone of your success even with a gram of test in your system.

2) I know plenty of guys on gear and have been on it for years and look nothing like that guy. This tells me that gear alone doesn't do it, and I know this from experience. Knowledge on training and diet are still very much 80% of the success behind guys like this.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

I understand that with his AMAZING genetics, perfect routine and diet and 110% effort for YEARS and YEARS... and YEARS, that there MIGHT be a small chance he could be natural. I still think its a 1 in 50 million "natty" body. His arms are our upper legs.

Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    True. I think of a few things when that mindset comes into play.

1) The rules don't change when you are on gear. In fact, things just get amplified. Training, diet and lifestyle all must remain as the cornerstone of your success even with a gram of test in your system.

2) I know plenty of guys on gear and have been on it for years and look nothing like that guy. This tells me that gear alone doesn't do it, and I know this from experience. Knowledge on training and diet are still very much 80% of the success behind guys like this.
    Well the point here is not that he works just as hard or harder because he's on gear. Most of us know its SO DAMN hard to look like that even on gear.

It's because he claims NOT to be on gear.
  19. Registered User
    Answers

I understand that with his AMAZING genetics, perfect routine and diet and 110% effort for YEARS and YEARS... and YEARS, that there MIGHT be a small chance he could be natural. I still think its a 1 in 50 million "natty" body. His arms are our upper legs.

Well the point here is not that he works just as hard or harder because he's on gear. Most of us know its SO DAMN hard to look like that even on gear.

It's because he claims NOT to be on gear.
    Then I would say emulate someone that you know is natty.
  20. Registered User
    Answers

I question if he has cycled or not, or if he has incredible genetics coupled by an iron program. Could be all of those things. I'd be curious to see his diet.

These tips were a fantastic read, I utilized this advice in my workout today.
  21. Registered User
    Answers

I think it is just because when you have been working at this as long as some of us (I have been lifting since age 22, am 28), you see some of these guys and you wonder how in the hell they get the way they are. I know this guy has busted his ass absolutely 100% and I admire him in his strength and this article was inspiring as all hell.

But there are genetic limits to the human body, and sometimes the role models we see ahead of us are not natural (not saying anything about this guy in the article). They've enhanced their hormone levels in their system and basically have created a mutant in the sense of altering their physiology. There are safe ways to cycle, but ultimately those lifters whom have cycled and claim not to can be bad representations to the weight lifting community. Because they inspire people to reach for their physique, which is an unobtainable goal unless they also cycle through gear in addition to having great genetics.
  22. Registered User
    Answers

Originally Posted by get_cut View Post
    I think it is just because when you have been working at this as long as some of us (I have been lifting since age 22, am 28), you see some of these guys and you wonder how in the hell they get the way they are. I know this guy has busted his ass absolutely 100% and I admire him in his strength and this article was inspiring as all hell.

But there are genetic limits to the human body, and sometimes the role models we see ahead of us are not natural (not saying anything about this guy in the article). They've enhanced their hormone levels in their system and basically have created a mutant in the sense of altering their physiology. There are safe ways to cycle, but ultimately those lifters whom have cycled and claim not to can be bad representations to the weight lifting community. Because they inspire people to reach for their physique, which is an unobtainable goal unless they also cycle through gear in addition to having great genetics.
    None of that would be the case if the Feds would just get out of the way and let people do what they want. At this point, the only reason people call it cheating is because they arent willing to risk getting caught doin it. So it has to be called something other than fair.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM
  2. The New Rules of Lifting Ebook
    By smoundzou in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
  3. New pics: 230lbs. @ 5'10, 7 months of lifting
    By cakedonkey in forum Pics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 07:17 PM