Article: Getting A Cut Midsection

  1. Registered User
    The Press's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,238
    Answers
    0

    Article: Getting A Cut Midsection



  2. Registered User
    jun1e8ugs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    29
    Answers
    0

    Why did I even bother to read this?
  3. Registered User
    Hajiroku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  166 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    98
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by jun1e8ugs View Post
    Why did I even bother to read this?
    Probably for the same reason I did: just incase there was anything new to learn. Apparently there wasn't, but I'm sure someone will get some use out of this.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    jun1e8ugs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    29
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Hajiroku View Post
    Probably for the same reason I did: just incase there was anything new to learn. Apparently there wasn't, but I'm sure someone will get some use out of this.
    That's true. Sometimes I forget that there are people that haven't heard this stuff yet.
  5. Registered User
    drFLEXxin88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by jun1e8ugs View Post

    That's true. Sometimes I forget that there are people that haven't heard this stuff yet.
    I expect both of you to have absolutely shredded abbs with comments like those. This is a great article because it is a reminder of how diet has the greatest effect on our body composition and I know that many people struggle by eating all types of garbage food products. Despite the fact that this article makes an obvious point of how to get ripped abbs, it reveals the constant, everyday battle we face when making food choices and the struggle of being 100% aware of exactly what it is we are putting in our bodies. Weight lifting and training is the easy part, committing to a lifestyle change and adhering to a disciplined diet is what makes a champion.
  6. Registered User
    ncsketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0

    This is poorly written
  7. Registered User
    jun1e8ugs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    29
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by drFLEXxin88 View Post
    I expect both of you to have absolutely shredded abbs with comments like those. This is a great article because it is a reminder of how diet has the greatest effect on our body composition and I know that many people struggle by eating all types of garbage food products. Despite the fact that this article makes an obvious point of how to get ripped abbs, it reveals the constant, everyday battle we face when making food choices and the struggle of being 100% aware of exactly what it is we are putting in our bodies. Weight lifting and training is the easy part, committing to a lifestyle change and adhering to a disciplined diet is what makes a champion.
    As a matter of fact my abs show quite nicely as I stay around 10% body fat. The only reason I made a sarcastic comment was that I was hoping for something more than the traditional advice we always hear. "eating 4-5 smalls meals a day" isn't the only way to lean out. That's why articles like this are laughable.
  8. Registered User
    THOR 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    Hey has anyone ever heard of lean gains? Lol
  9. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,464
    Answers
    0

    I still dont think people understand that you can actually have higher amounts of carbs in ur diet as long as u eat protein, fibrous carbs and complex starches in the mix. Low fat high carb diet has worked well for me, granted I am an ecto which changes all the rules.
  10. Registered User
    JRam's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    91
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    I still dont think people understand that you can actually have higher amounts of carbs in ur diet as long as u eat protein, fibrous carbs and complex starches in the mix. Low fat high carb diet has worked well for me, granted I am an ecto which changes all the rules.
    How does being an ectomorph change all the rules? Are you saying that as an ectomorph, with a presumably fast metabolism (relatively speaking), you can consume more calories in the form of carbs? Because if you are, advocates of low-carb diets would say that you're better off compensating for that fast metabolism with more protein and fats, rather than carbs. Or, are you saying something different? What macro profile would you recommend for someone who is predominantly ectomorphic?
  11. Registered User
    drFLEXxin88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    I still dont think people understand that you can actually have higher amounts of carbs in ur diet as long as u eat protein, fibrous carbs and complex starches in the mix. Low fat high carb diet has worked well for me, granted I am an ecto which changes all the rules.
    Your right, Anyone's diet should be mostly carbs no matter their goals.
  12. Registered User
    drFLEXxin88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    20
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by jun1e8ugs View Post

    As a matter of fact my abs show quite nicely as I stay around 10% body fat. The only reason I made a sarcastic comment was that I was hoping for something more than the traditional advice we always hear. "eating 4-5 smalls meals a day" isn't the only way to lean out. That's why articles like this are laughable.
    Fair enough, I liked the article myself because it is simple yet true. Getting ripped abbs is theoretically simple yet hard to actually carry out and it just made me think of that fact and appreciate it.
  13. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,464
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by JRam View Post
    How does being an ectomorph change all the rules? Are you saying that as an ectomorph, with a presumably fast metabolism (relatively speaking), you can consume more calories in the form of carbs? Because if you are, advocates of low-carb diets would say that you're better off compensating for that fast metabolism with more protein and fats, rather than carbs. Or, are you saying something different? What macro profile would you recommend for someone who is predominantly ectomorphic?
    For me, a macro profile of 60/30/10; Carb/Protein/Fat has worked well for putting on only lean mass and allowing for optimal strength & stamina in the gym as well. My problem is that because my body literally drinks carbs, it burns them quite well so 50g-100g of carbs per day will never cut it for me. I won't have any energy in the gym at all.

    This is my doing though because I shifted down to low fat consumption while increasing my rice, potatoes and fibrous varieties of carbs while keeping my protein around 1 - 1.5g per lb of mass. I was training so hard in the gym that I needed 300+g of carbs before training each day in order to have the energy levels to sustain the correct pace and volume in my workouts. At one point in time I was nearly diabetic, with a serious hypoglycemic issue with blood sugar always dropping below healthy levels. This was due to my choice of carbs, rather than the amounts of carbs. I was eating simple carbohydrates rather than complex ones and seldom had healthy servings of protein and fiber with those meals making the flux in insulin even worse.

    Eventually, I changed my habits and went towards healthy carbs and the pre-diabetic issue disappeared. Now my body has a very proper insulin response to carbs and I don't get fat with high amounts of them (so long as I eat the right portions with them). My point is, my body has a high metabolism, so I need all the anabolic activity I can get so I choose to eat carbs since they illicit the greatest response of insulin of the three macros. The more insulin, the more muscle. Yet, I keep my carb choices limited to carbs that take a while to digest along with adding healthy amounts of protein and fiber to each meal. This allows for optimal insulin response which keeps me energetic, anabolic & not getting any fatter. In fact, I have put on 5-6lbs of muscle in the past several weeks with little change in body fat.
  14. Registered User
    JRam's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    91
    Answers
    0

    Thx for the response. Very informative.
  15. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,464
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    For me, a macro profile of 60/30/10; Carb/Protein/Fat has worked well for putting on only lean mass and allowing for optimal strength & stamina in the gym as well. My problem is that because my body literally drinks carbs, it burns them quite well so 50g-100g of carbs per day will never cut it for me. I won't have any energy in the gym at all.

    This is my doing though because I shifted down to low fat consumption while increasing my rice, potatoes and fibrous varieties of carbs while keeping my protein around 1 - 1.5g per lb of mass. I was training so hard in the gym that I needed 300+g of carbs before training each day in order to have the energy levels to sustain the correct pace and volume in my workouts. At one point in time I was nearly diabetic, with a serious hypoglycemic issue with blood sugar always dropping below healthy levels. This was due to my choice of carbs, rather than the amounts of carbs. I was eating simple carbohydrates rather than complex ones and seldom had healthy servings of protein and fiber with those meals making the flux in insulin even worse.

    Eventually, I changed my habits and went towards healthy carbs and the pre-diabetic issue disappeared. Now my body has a very proper insulin response to carbs and I don't get fat with high amounts of them (so long as I eat the right portions with them). My point is, my body has a high metabolism, so I need all the anabolic activity I can get so I choose to eat carbs since they illicit the greatest response of insulin of the three macros. The more insulin, the more muscle. Yet, I keep my carb choices limited to carbs that take a while to digest along with adding healthy amounts of protein and fiber to each meal. This allows for optimal insulin response which keeps me energetic, anabolic & not getting any fatter. In fact, I have put on 5-6lbs of muscle in the past several weeks with little change in body fat.
    I believe the difference between endos and ectos is merely an insulin response variation. What I find consistent with endos is that carbs generally cause them to get fat. While with ectos, our issue is that our metabolism is so high, coupled with a lack of calories. Yet, as an ectomorph, I never want to suppress my metabolism as a method of gaining weight. Higher metabolism is superior to lower metabolism. Therefore, I want to eat foods that keep my metabolism high while at the same time causing more anabolic activity and increasing calories. Carbs, in my opinion, are the answer to those needs.

    1) Maintain high metabolism - the more carbs you consume, the more calories your body will burn. The body has a preference for carbs over fat and protein for energy - mainly due to the ease of breaking it down. However, we don't want the stmoach to digest them too fast.

    2) Put on weight - carbs are less filling than protein, making them more ideal than protein for increasing calories since we can typically eat more of them at any one meal.

    3) Maintain a steady anabolic state - Carbs create a very positive insulin response. However, we want to draw out the digestion of those carbs so that insulin is constantly trickling but never surging. This explains my desire to add a small amount of fats and a healthy portion of protein and fiber to each carb meal.
  16. Registered User
    THOR 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post

    I believe the difference between endos and ectos is merely an insulin response variation. What I find consistent with endos is that carbs generally cause them to get fat. While with ectos, our issue is that our metabolism is so high, coupled with a lack of calories. Yet, as an ectomorph, I never want to suppress my metabolism as a method of gaining weight. Higher metabolism is superior to lower metabolism. Therefore, I want to eat foods that keep my metabolism high while at the same time causing more anabolic activity and increasing calories. Carbs, in my opinion, are the answer to those needs.

    1) Maintain high metabolism - the more carbs you consume, the more calories your body will burn. The body has a preference for carbs over fat and protein for energy - mainly due to the ease of breaking it down. However, we don't want the stmoach to digest them too fast.

    2) Put on weight - carbs are less filling than protein, making them more ideal than protein for increasing calories since we can typically eat more of them at any one meal.

    3) Maintain a steady anabolic state - Carbs create a very positive insulin response. However, we want to draw out the digestion of those carbs so that insulin is constantly trickling but never surging. This explains my desire to add a small amount of fats and a healthy portion of protein and fiber to each carb meal.
    Have you read any of Keifers work on carb back loading? You seem somewhat knowledgable on the role of insulin which he thoroughly addresses. I would like your input on the diet and if you haven't read it I think you would find it interesting
  17. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,464
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by THOR 70 View Post
    Have you read any of Keifers work on carb back loading? You seem somewhat knowledgable on the role of insulin which he thoroughly addresses. I would like your input on the diet and if you haven't read it I think you would find it interesting
    I have not. I'll get to it tho. Are there any links/threads in this board regarding this?
  18. Registered User
    THOR 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    I haven't searched for them yet, want to finish the book first
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Getting my cutting cycle secured (questions)
    By uniifirex in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
  3. Replies: 112
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 07:32 AM
  5. Rhode Islanders Where can you get steel cut oats?
    By SeaHawk22 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 03:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in