Article: Weights Before Cardio

1. Registered User

Article: Weights Before Cardio

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

There is one MAJOR problem to this study. It does not look at hypertrophy response at all. Cardio after weight training is a VERY BAD idea when looking to gain or retain lean mass. Immediately after training mTOR, the primary non-inuslin mediated hypertrophy response, is through the roof. Feeding during this time is critical for hypertrophy. The higher the GI carbs and the quicker the protein source the better. When cardio is performed after weight training AMPKinase levels raise. AMPKinase shuts down the mTOR pathway, greatly inhibiting the hypertrophic response. Not to mention that the longer you wait after weight training the less sensitive your muscles are to inuslin and glucose, further limiting the hypertrophy response.

If you must do cardio and weight training in the same day, I would highly recommend doing cardio 2 hours or more before lifting, or 6 hours or more after lifting.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

wow,wat u just said now has me confused on what to do.everything i have read said to do cardio after lifting.is this only if i want to shed fat?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'9"  277 lbs.

From the latest articles I've read on the subject, they seem to agree with LegacyFighter. Cardio before training , on non training days or with at least a 6 hour break between are best for maintaining the lean muscle you worked hard to gain. They article I read also mentioned that if cardio needed to be done after then HIIT , cycling or rowing was best as it showed no real impact on muscle loss. I personally have had good results with separating my steady cardio sessions and doing HIIT if I need to do it after training.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

i usually do HIIT as my form of cardio after lifting,some sprints on the treadmill.sometimes i cycle for 10-15 mins after lifting,nothing hardcore just a good ride of 3-5 miles on it.is that ok?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'9"  277 lbs.

Originally Posted by jman245 View Post
    i usually do HIIT as my form of cardio after lifting,some sprints on the treadmill.sometimes i cycle for 10-15 mins after lifting,nothing hardcore just a good ride of 3-5 miles on it.is that ok?
    Yeah, I would say that was fine. The study showed the problem being the 20+ steady state post training cardio session did the most to blunt the hypertrophic response. Cycling, Rowing., and pretty much any form of HIIT had little to no effect, due to their resistant training type qualities
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Originally Posted by Othello1276 View Post
    Yeah, I would say that was fine. The study showed the problem being the 20+ steady state post training cardio session did the most to blunt the hypertrophic response. Cycling, Rowing., and pretty much any form of HIIT had little to no effect, due to their resistant training type qualities
    I would still suggest not to do cardio afterward. Even if HIIT has been shown to be muscle sparing I would be concerned with where the nutrients are going. If i just finished up with a heavy chest day, I want every bit of protein and carbohydrates i'm ingesting during and immediately after going to rebuild my pecs. I don't want it being used to fuel my cardio session. HIIT, due to its higher intensity is more likely to burn through glycogen, when you take in carbs and protein post workout it will go to refill the glycogen you just used up. Again, I want every bit of nutrients going to rebuild my pecs after my chest days.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'9"  277 lbs.

Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    I would still suggest not to do cardio afterward. Even if HIIT has been shown to be muscle sparing I would be concerned with where the nutrients are going. If i just finished up with a heavy chest day, I want every bit of protein and carbohydrates i'm ingesting during and immediately after going to rebuild my pecs. I don't want it being used to fuel my cardio session. HIIT, due to its higher intensity is more likely to burn through glycogen, when you take in carbs and protein post workout it will go to refill the glycogen you just used up. Again, I want every bit of nutrients going to rebuild my pecs after my chest days.
    Yeah, can definitely understand that but what if your goal is to drop bodyfat while not only maintaining but building lean muscle. And if time is also a factor in your training, getting there twice just to separate your resistance and cardio sessions just isn't an option.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

@Othello: Then what I would recommend is incline walking before weight training. Heart rate under 120. That should bias calorie expenditure toward fat and away from carbohydrates and protein. It shouldn't effect glycogen stores much and won't take away from the workout.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  10. Registered User

Just drink BCAA's and stop worrying about it. That's what the supplement is for. There are a number of ways to avoid muscle wasting during training. One effective way is to be carb-loaded when doing resistance-training and carb-depleted (but supplementing BCAA's) when doing cardio.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. arimidex to drop water weight before competing?
    By IJL in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 08:13 AM
  2. best time to lift weights and cardio
    By Ectofighter in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
  4. Abs before Cardio for added fat loss?
    By pistonpump in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
  5. weights than cardio to lose fat?
    By mildain in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 01:44 PM