Article: Is Eating Paleo Style Healthy?

  1. Registered User
    The Press's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,248
    Answers
    0

    Article: Is Eating Paleo Style Healthy?



  2. Registered User
    drewsicle3210's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,932
    Answers
    0

    The question is, is it sustainable?
  3. Registered User
    CharlesT's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Answers
    0

    answer-grass fed far more sustainable than ANY other form of agriculture.Look up Joel Salatin/Polyface farm.
    The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    dwit392's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0

    Geez ... this article was so standard it could go straight on a US government website. They once again mention a correlation between red meat consumption and heart disease and then try to convince people it is causation without mentioning anything about grass-fed meat.

    Then they do the standard, lean proteins only! Seriously, what is going to happen to me if I eat fatty cuts of meat? It's not like fat is evil...
  5. Registered User
    CSOleson's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    11
    Answers
    0

    If people just learned that more natural, whole foods are better and to quit with the processed foods, most of our health issues would be fixed.
  6. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    red meat is associated with heart disease due to it's saturated fats. This is why he said stick with lean proteins only.

    Too many people on the internet are trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to healthy dieting. This expert said nothing outside of what has been common, accepted knowledge (based on experience and study) for the past 30 years...
  7. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
    answer-grass fed far more sustainable than ANY other form of agriculture.Look up Joel Salatin/Polyface farm.
    The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.

    I also dont understand where you are coming from here with the gluten argument. The expert promoted lean meats, veggies of all types and fruits, nuts etc. all of which are gluten free.

    With the exception of a few grains, pretty much everything he recommended comes naturally in a gluten-free state. Your point doesn't stick, it seems?
  8. Registered User
    Drdanger84's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    23
    Answers
    0

    You can eat sweet Potato on
    A paleo diet. Get ya facts straight
  9. Registered User
    Zatek's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    19
    Answers
    0

    Red meat is only associated with heart disease and cancer because most places serve it as a hamburger with fries fried in artificial fats and water filled with tons of artificial sugar. Red meat is probably the single most healthy food there is, and (natural) saturated fat reduces occurrences of heart disease. Many studies deliberately group saturated fat in with partially hydrogenated oils because they are chemically similar, despite that fact that being chemically similar means pretty much nothing in terms of how they affect the body.
  10. Registered User
    THOR 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    ^spot on. Great to see someone that doesn't just follow the standard national guidelines. In fact, I believe we are fat deficient.
  11. Registered User
    THOR 70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73
    Answers
    0

    *Nutritional
  12. Registered User
    drewsicle3210's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,932
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Zatek View Post
    Red meat is only associated with heart disease and cancer because most places serve it as a hamburger with fries fried in artificial fats and water filled with tons of artificial sugar. Red meat is probably the single most healthy food there is, and (natural) saturated fat reduces occurrences of heart disease. Many studies deliberately group saturated fat in with partially hydrogenated oils because they are chemically similar, despite that fact that being chemically similar means pretty much nothing in terms of how they affect the body.
    I enjoyed this post
  13. Registered User
    Rothbard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5
    Answers
    0

    Medical professionals have been feeding us this garbage for years. Thanks to their advice, obesity has skyrocketed.

    By the way, not all adherents to the paleo diet avoid dairy and potatoes in reasonable amounts.
  14. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Rothbard View Post
    Medical professionals have been feeding us this garbage for years. Thanks to their advice, obesity has skyrocketed.

    By the way, not all adherents to the paleo diet avoid dairy and potatoes in reasonable amounts.
    Well, I don't think our "lack" of saturated fats is causing obesity. Sure, there may be a benefit or two from having a few grams per day but I advise you don't get liberal with it. It was the simple sugars, hydrogenated oils, and high-fructose corn syrup coupled with a shifting culture towards convenience and ease that brought us to our knees. I'm pretty sure you get plenty of saturated fats if you eat out at minimum 3 times per week. I think its a combination of trying to find cheaper sweeteners and cooking agents in liu of a culture that demands a fast meal on-the-go that is making us fat.

    No one eats a wholesome meal anymore - it's usually loaded with refined carbs, small protein portions and loads of fats of all types with little or no fiber. Sure, we need fats but when 40-50% of our diet is made up of fats, that isn't healthy. Not to mention the other 30% is made up of refined carbs, which might as well be fat in itself. That will only make you fatter. I realize that most on this board follow a slightly stricter protocol than that metioned above but the general public pretty much follows this to a T.
  15. Registered User
    Vengeance187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    216
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
    The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.
    This is just BS. Gluten isn't inherently bad for anyone without celiac disease. People shouldn't just generally stop eating peanuts, strawberries, bananas, etcetera ad infinitum. None of the above are bad for people without those respective allergies/sensitivities.
    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Sure, we need fats but when 40-50% of our diet is made up of fats, that isn't healthy.
    It absolutely can be. Ketogenic diets range from 50-80+% fats.
  16. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
    This is just BS. Gluten isn't inherently bad for anyone without celiac disease. People shouldn't just generally stop eating peanuts, strawberries, bananas, etcetera ad infinitum. None of the above are bad for people without those respective allergies/sensitivities.
    It absolutely can be. Ketogenic diets range from 50-80+% fats.
    Yea I know keto diets have an abnormally high fat intake. You'll never hear me say that removing one of the three macro nutrients is a healthy idea in any diet. All three are needed, some more than others depending on what you are trying to accomplish. For me, it's all about muscle and nothing else. So in that case, keto has not been and will likely not ever be an option for me since it is not the best diet to consider for retaining muscle mass, since fats are unable to be utilized in heavy lifting. I'd basically walk intoa gym and run out of steam 10 minutes into the training on an all fat/protein diet. Granted, my body handles carbohydrates very well, but this is only because I have trained it to handled carbs well.

    To each their own with an opinion I guess but seriously strength and mass training are thrown out on a keto diet. You need elevated glycogen levels to perform high-intensity workouts, especially bodybuilding style training. If you are an athlete, this rings even more true. I'm not saying you can't be productive in any way on keto, I'm just saying for certain goals, and for a well-rounded nutrition, a large portion of carbs should be present and fats should be kept at or below 1/3 of your diet.
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Answers
    0

    Obesity started rearing its ugly head when the agricultural age was upon us. Attempting to find faster easier ways to feed mass amounts of people.

    Don't get me wrong, it has helped world hunger 1000x over. But, our society has adopted such food as the staple of all diet.

    Saturated fats are not the devil as the FDA lead people to believe. In fact, eat to low of Sat fats, and watch your hormonal levels become unbalanced quickly (Testosterone drops like a rock).

    To anyone who says sat. fats are bad, I say Coconut Oil.

    /endsatfatargumentinthread :D
  18. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Obesity started rearing its ugly head when the agricultural age was upon us. Attempting to find faster easier ways to feed mass amounts of people.

    Don't get me wrong, it has helped world hunger 1000x over. But, our society has adopted such food as the staple of all diet.

    Saturated fats are not the devil as the FDA lead people to believe. In fact, eat to low of Sat fats, and watch your hormonal levels become unbalanced quickly (Testosterone drops like a rock).

    To anyone who says sat. fats are bad, I say Coconut Oil.

    /endsatfatargumentinthread :D

    When you say Coconut Oil, are you referring to the MCT that resides in it? MCT oil, while being saturated, cannot be classified as such since it is a medium chain and therefore has an entirely different metabolic pathway and purpose for the body. MCT oil, which is in coconut oil, is the only reason coconut oil is so good for you. And honestly, why consume coconut oil for the MCT when you can just buy pure MCT oil and ditch the long-chain triglycerides?

    I'm not arguing against dietary and long-chain saturated fats because I honestly don't know enough about them to decide whether they are good or bad to have in large amounts. I am however making a comment about Coconut Oil's awesomeness, which isn't really coconut oil but MCT's that make it awesome.
  19. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,796
    Answers
    1

    oh the bro'lore..it burns..
  20. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    what part is bro'lore.
  21. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    When you say Coconut Oil, are you referring to the MCT that resides in it? MCT oil, while being saturated, cannot be classified as such since it is a medium chain and therefore has an entirely different metabolic pathway and purpose for the body. MCT oil, which is in coconut oil, is the only reason coconut oil is so good for you. And honestly, why consume coconut oil for the MCT when you can just buy pure MCT oil and ditch the long-chain triglycerides?

    I'm not arguing against dietary and long-chain saturated fats because I honestly don't know enough about them to decide whether they are good or bad to have in large amounts. I am however making a comment about Coconut Oil's awesomeness, which isn't really coconut oil but MCT's that make it awesome.
    Let me see if I can decipher this a bit. So you are saying the MCT oil in CO is a saturated fat, but not a saturated fat? Serious question.


    Now why are mystiric, stearic, oleic and linoleic acids in CO not of benefit?
    The Historic PES Legend
  22. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Let me see if I can decipher this a bit. So you are saying the MCT oil in CO is a saturated fat, but not a saturated fat? Serious question.


    Now why are mystiric, stearic, oleic and linoleic acids in CO not of benefit?
    I dont know about the long chain fatty acids and whether or not they r healthy. Half the scientific community says they r (the younger crowd) and the older half says they arent (older crowd). I'm not debating that because I dont really know.

    MCT is a saturated fat. Yet the classification is the only similarity that MCT has to other LCT's. It is processed in the liver, releasing a large amount of its energy as heat and the other portion as ketone bodies and does so in the midst of carbs and glycogen in the blood. It has a relationship, although not fully understood, with a rise in GH levels after consumption. It is pure energy and whatever ketones arent used typically are urinsted out later so it rarely stores up as fat, which is very unlike other saturated fats and unsaturated fats. Thats all I'm saying. Totally different effect on the body. MCT's get the same kind of treatment as carbs, without the insulin response.
  23. Registered User
    oogaly_boogal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,524
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
    answer-grass fed far more sustainable than ANY other form of agriculture.Look up Joel Salatin/Polyface farm.
    The so called "expert" is a moron because only an idiot would deny the widespread problems gluten causes.

    That is incorrect, gras fed, or Organic meat is not sustainable. Something along the lines of 1/3 of the population would starve to death. We would also need to destroy more acres of forest to keep the food supply in a positive flow.

    http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4060
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  24. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    That is incorrect, gras fed, or Organic meat is not sustainable. Something along the lines of 1/3 of the population would starve to death. We would also need to destroy more acres of forest to keep the food supply in a positive flow.

    http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4060
    Very true point. I work for the largest paper company in the world, and this is our struggle remaining sustainable, especially in other third-world and developing countries like China and India. They are tearing apart the forests to try and keep up with crop demands. In 50 years, famine and starvation will be a huge issue for the world. Lots of people will die, imo.
  25. Registered User
    CharlesT's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
    This is just BS. Gluten isn't inherently bad for anyone without celiac disease. People shouldn't just generally stop eating peanuts, strawberries, bananas, etcetera ad infinitum. None of the above are bad for people without those respective allergies/sensitivities.
    It absolutely can be. Ketogenic diets range from 50-80+% fats.
    I'm not here to argue or try to change minds but saying that gluten is only harmful to celiacs is 100% false.
    You are just repeating something you think or heard that seems true to you.
    Its widespread ignorance like this that nearly got 3 feet of my wifes intestines removed.
    Kettle bells,Club bells and body weight exercises only for me
  26. Registered User
    Vengeance187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    216
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    For me, it's all about muscle and nothing else. So in that case, keto has not been and will likely not ever be an option for me since it is not the best diet to consider for retaining muscle mass, since fats are unable to be utilized in heavy lifting.
    What are you talking about? A ketogenic diet is one of the best diets for retaining muscle mass while trying to lose fat. Every long term study I've read proves this. If there are studies that say otherwise, they must be short term studies that aren't recording muscle loss, they're measuring lean mass and observing the short term glycogen depletion. If you're freaked out that you're losing muscle because of that, then a CKD diet may be better for you.
    Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
    I'm not here to argue or try to change minds but saying that gluten is only harmful to celiacs is 100% false.
    You are just repeating something you think or heard that seems true to you.
    Its widespread ignorance like this that nearly got 3 feet of my wifes intestines removed.
    My statement is 100% true. Intestinal damage from a reaction to eating gluten is exactly what celiac disease is. You sir, are the one spreading the ignorance. Your wife has celiac disease...
  27. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by Vengeance187 View Post
    What are you talking about? A ketogenic diet is one of the best diets for retaining muscle mass while trying to lose fat. Every long term study I've read proves this. If there are studies that say otherwise, they must be short term studies that aren't recording muscle loss, they're measuring lean mass and observing the short term glycogen depletion. If you're freaked out that you're losing muscle because of that, then a CKD diet may be better for you.
    My statement is 100% true. Intestinal damage from a reaction to eating gluten is exactly what celiac disease is. You sir, are the one spreading the ignorance. Your wife has celiac disease...
    Keto sucks for retaining mass and it sucks even worse for building mass. There is no doubt in my mind it is effective for those who are not bodybuilding. But we're on a bodybuilding website, not a site for soccer moms. And since training requires loads of glycogen, you need to eat plenty of carbs, at least if you are training like a man ought to. There is no way around it. You need insulin and glycogen to do two things : build muscle and have energy for anaerobic training. Otherwise your body will resort to amino acid breakdown for glycogen as it is performing anaerobic training. So Keto? Yes, if you aren't doing any anaerobic exercise. This is 30 years of proven science. Keto doesn't reinvent the wheel, it only starves the muscle and shifts the body towards fat metabolism , if you aren't training with high intensity. However, if you train with high-intensity, you'll lose just as much muscle as you do fat, unless you are eating 300% of your protein intake and drinking 50g BCAA's every day. It's not that hard to understand. Fat metabolism can only be utilized in certain environments, since it cannot be broken down quickly - we call that environment aerobic. The other environment is stricly for glycogen and amino acids and it is called anaerobic.
  28. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,118
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Keto sucks for retaining mass and it sucks even worse for building mass. There is no doubt in my mind it is effective for those who are not bodybuilding. But we're on a bodybuilding website, not a site for soccer moms. And since training requires loads of glycogen, you need to eat plenty of carbs, at least if you are training like a man ought to. There is no way around it. You need insulin and glycogen to do two things : build muscle and have energy for anaerobic training. Otherwise your body will resort to amino acid breakdown for glycogen as it is performing anaerobic training. So Keto? Yes, if you aren't doing any anaerobic exercise. This is 30 years of proven science. Keto doesn't reinvent the wheel, it only starves the muscle and shifts the body towards fat metabolism , if you aren't training with high intensity. However, if you train with high-intensity, you'll lose just as much muscle as you do fat, unless you are eating 300% of your protein intake and drinking 50g BCAA's every day. It's not that hard to understand. Fat metabolism can only be utilized in certain environments, since it cannot be broken down quickly - we call that environment aerobic. The other environment is stricly for glycogen and amino acids and it is called anaerobic.
    I am eating less than 40 grams of carbs per day and have been for weeks, my weight has remained the same while my lovehandles have shrunk to nothing...I suppose the high intensity squat routine I performed at 5:00 am this morning was impossible...I was doing 15 rep sets of 315 ass to grass, 5 to be exact followed by 4 sets of 6 with 405, Then another two sets of 315 x 15 and 220 x 20. How was that possible? Read the science behind keto dieting and you'll understand keto diets are muscle sparing not destroying Just ask Patrick Arnold....But then I guess he doesn't know his stuff either?? Not hardly
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  29. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
    I am eating less than 40 grams of carbs per day and have been for weeks, my weight has remained the same while my lovehandles have shrunk to nothing...I suppose the high intensity squat routine I performed at 5:00 am this morning was impossible...I was doing 15 rep sets of 315 ass to grass, 5 to be exact followed by 4 sets of 6 with 405, Then another two sets of 315 x 15 and 220 x 20. How was that possible? Read the science behind keto dieting and you'll understand keto diets are muscle sparing not destroying Just ask Patrick Arnold....But then I guess he doesn't know his stuff either?? Not hardly
    Well I stand corrected. In your case. I will look at the molecular science sometime soon. However, I do understand what takes place. The ketone bodies are the ones who redeem that diet, if anything. Yet, Ketones can only keep up so far. And due to the lack of insulin, essential amino acids are not getting to the muscle cell for growth. Perhaps then, it could be considered.

    Also, when do you eat those measily 40g of carbs? I'm curious...is it the night before or maybe first thing AM by any chance?
  30. Registered User
    truthornothin's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,118
    Answers
    0

    [QUOTE=fueledpassion;3848816]Well I stand corrected. In your case. I will look at the molecular science sometime soon. However, I do understand what takes place. The ketone bodies are the ones who redeem that diet, if anything. Yet, Ketones can only keep up so far. And due to the lack of insulin, essential amino acids are not getting to the muscle cell for growth. Perhaps then, it could be considered. Also, when do you eat those measily 40g of carbs? Over the course of the day, in sprouts salad greens and broccoli. When you first go low carb you are correct it is very difficult to get in a good workout. It takes sheer will and drive. Clearshot makes it doable. Then after about a week or so in when the body switches over to ketone metabolism it gets easier. I do allow my self one cheat day everytwo weeks where I gorge on carbs cuz' hey, who doesn't like pasta, potatoes, Doritos and Donuts? lol
    E-PHARM Nutrition Representative
    Better one ugly truth than a million pretty lies
    Check Out Ur-Spray and D-Serine at Prototype Nutrition



  31. Registered User
    oogaly_boogal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,524
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by fueledpassion View Post
    Well I stand corrected. In your case. I will look at the molecular science sometime soon. However, I do understand what takes place. The ketone bodies are the ones who redeem that diet, if anything. Yet, Ketones can only keep up so far. And due to the lack of insulin, essential amino acids are not getting to the muscle cell for growth. Perhaps then, it could be considered.

    Also, when do you eat those measily 40g of carbs? I'm curious...is it the night before or maybe first thing AM by any chance?

    Actually that's incorrect, your body to spare your brain, will convert protein into glycogen in times of need. Something like 30-50% of consumed protein, which is why you run such a high fat/protein diet with keto.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  32. Registered User
    Vengeance187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    216
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by truthornothin View Post
    I am eating less than 40 grams of carbs per day and have been for weeks, my weight has remained the same while my lovehandles have shrunk to nothing...I suppose the high intensity squat routine I performed at 5:00 am this morning was impossible...I was doing 15 rep sets of 315 ass to grass, 5 to be exact followed by 4 sets of 6 with 405, Then another two sets of 315 x 15 and 220 x 20. How was that possible? Read the science behind keto dieting and you'll understand keto diets are muscle sparing not destroying Just ask Patrick Arnold....But then I guess he doesn't know his stuff either?? Not hardly
    I guess I don't need to respond to him now. He must respect your anecdotal evidence more than a studies' data.
  33. Registered User
    GO_OUTSIDE!'s Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    163
    Answers
    0

    Moderation people. Why does everything have to be all or nothing, because it sells? Extremism is not the answer, and trying to turn back time will never work, besides your waxing poetic on the past. Being a caveman sucked. If their diet was so perfect why did it change? Agriculture is what made the diffenece between which societies conquered the earth. Those agricultural societies did all that conquering on a diet that included grain and dairy and meat... As technology provided better things they adopted them.
    Look at MMA the purist martial arts practioner doesnt stand a chance against the hybrid.
    What im trying to say is take the good, leave the bad and live well. Just because enzyte didnt make your wang bigger doesnt mean everything new is bad.
  34. Registered User
    fueledpassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,466
    Answers
    0

    Originally Posted by oogaly_boogal View Post
    Actually that's incorrect, your body to spare your brain, will convert protein into glycogen in times of need. Something like 30-50% of consumed protein, which is why you run such a high fat/protein diet with keto.
    I wasn't talking about that in the part you quoted me on. Ketones redeem the diet because they become a steady source of fat-burning energy, along with proteins being broken down, which supports my initial stance on why Keto diet is a bad idea for maintaining or building muscle mass, since protein in the muscle becomes a victim of this diet, with no or very little insulin and carbs to combat this issue.

    But the real issue I would have if I jumped on this diet is being able to eat a caloric surplus (or even a maintenance level) while removing an entire macro nutrient.

    3000kcals is not easy to obtain with fats and proteins alone (at least for me). And a surplus to gain muscle mass would be even more difficult for me.

    I'd rather just have all three macros & do more cardio to lean up. At least then I get the benefit of cardio for my respiratory system such as vascular density.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 01:37 AM
  2. is the anabolic diet healthy?
    By classic27 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
  3. this article is a trip
    By oswizzle in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 05:08 PM
  4. April 29th deadline for Articles is quickly approaching!
    By windwords7 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in