1. Registered User
    Answers

Article: Best Form Of Cardio?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

Sprinting / 70%

That isn't sprinting in the slightest!! Or even a sprint session!

Your theory's are.... Ok! But your recommendation is poor sorry

In order to best utilise the energy systems and to truly invoke the EPOC method and really get ripped from sprinting

You gonna need to go shorter and harder
    Just start with repeat 100m >95% with 5min rec for 8 reps and you will get. Heap more benefits then that session

Ps I'm a sprint coach!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by left hook View Post
    what u mean by "5min rec" ?

and 8 reps mean to sprint 8 100m ?

thanks
    at first I thought he meant you had 5 min to do 8 100 meter sprints. But maybe its 5 min recovery between 100M sprints
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

I thought he meant you had 5 min to 8 100 meter sprints...but reading it again it looks like 5 min recovery between 100 M sprints.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Do HIIT swimming instead!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

Sorry guys I'm so used to writing programmes for my group I forget.

8reps with 5min recovery between each one which is a nice slow walk back to the start.
    By reducing the distance you can increase the intensity. This will get your energy systems firing massively, along with your fast twitch muscles ( why sprinters are ripped) as your fast twitch is basically your attractive muscle structure.

I'm not the best with my diet and only lift twice a week but sprint three times a week.

Even this session isn't the truest form of sprint training but is a lot closer and generic enough to hit the aspects you really need. Obviously play around with the reps and recovery to suit and even the distance slightly.

But as far as increasing EPOC values and even lactate tolerance (even actual speed and power improvement) this will work for most.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

Lol no probs

Haha well..... Unfortunately if you did sprint repeats and fatigued to slower than 70% your likely to be in "lactic" hell and would no longer be "sprinting"

However (as long as you don't push yourself to injury) working from >95% and fatiguing down to <70% would yield great fitness results and actually hitting that kinda lactic would also give a HGH spike!

For this as you said working from as little as 1:30min rec will hit you hard very early if your not used to it.

If you can fit it in to your week schedule... I would say start with one session of repeats at 5 min rec to really hit your fast twitch fibres. And another session with shorter recovery until fatigue drops sharp to really increase your fitness.

Of course as I said earlier, if your wanting to really work print speed there are loads of different sessions to work on.

Unfortunately, the articles suggestion of longer reps at 70% are just not gonna kick it all in. No doubt you might be blowing n breathing hard but after about 30min you will be completely recovered and your fast twitch will just not be worked in the slightest
  8. cgh
    Answers

what u mean by "5min rec" ?

and 8 reps mean to sprint 8 100m ?

thanks
    I think he means do 8 100 m sprints at 95%+ effort, and rest 5 minutes between each. That's a pretty typical workout for sprint athletes.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

yea im surprised @ the 5 minute rest. I guess when you REALLY sprint correctly it's different. I run as fast as my body lets me not sure if that qualifies as sprinting tho lol.

there's a difference between hitting a punching bag and boxing with a puncing bag.
    Lol exactly

Tbh you will hate the 5 min rest for the first couple of reps but as long as you are sprinting you will be great full of that rest after the 5th lol

Reason for the recovery is down to the fatigue nature of fast twitch, in order to increase elements such as citation and power ( and to get the sprint body) you need to run each one fresh enough that it truly is the fast twitch your working. ( as more you fatigue you switch to just working the slow twitch, which won't give you the real benefits your after)
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Sprinting uphill has given me better results than anything I've ever done. Its a must for me after seeing the change in myself.

Sprint up, walk down, repeat.
    Currently logging: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/236161-dymethazine-4-ad.html
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Aj2000,

You are correct, thanks for your input.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I used to run the 100, 5 minutes is not much rest at all if your really sprint at 95%, I was more ripped in track season then when I used to wrestle
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Can some type of a sprint workout be done on a treadmill??
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Sure it can be done on a treadmill, but it would be aggravating and you won't get an explosive start. How fast does your treadmill go?
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by hswj86 View Post
    Can some type of a sprint workout be done on a treadmill??
    yes,i would like t
    o know as well...
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Originally Posted by jman245 View Post
    yes,i would like t
    o know as well...
    If I work on a treadmill for sprints I'll use an incline (about 10) and go in intervals.

Ex. 45 sec @ 9 mph > 45 sec @ 3.5 (to rest)
    I do about 8-12 intervals with great results.

The least rest time and the longer work time, the better the results. Just work your way up.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

thank you!gonna try this today!
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

Sorry guys, but unles you have a superb treadmill it won't be sprinting, it "can" be a difficult session and very useful for conditioning

Benefits of the incline are for knee lift your forced to work a little harder to get you foot contact on the platform in front of you, this will fatigue you more and get you blowing out ya ass a little faster then normal.
    For a conditioning session I have my guys very early winter training do 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off and that is literal

Bump the treadmill as fast as it can go. Anything less then 15mph is not worth it IMO. Run for 30 sec and then literally but safely jump your legs to the side. And then jump back on after 30 at full speed repeat until dead :-)

These kinda sessions are anaerobic threshold sessions ( you won't ever go fast enough on a commercial treadmill, to get the "sprint" benefits)
    Remember the attractive looking muscles are the strong powerful ones and they need that maximum stress on short bursts to really get firing.

Treadmill sessions are good for conditioning and mitochondrial development and useful when the weather is just too damn much

Nothing replaces a sprint session! :-)
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Answers

i just dont have a hill :(
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  223 lbs.
    Answers

A hill is best, but if you're not training TO BE a competitive sprinter and really just going for the body composition benefits than any decent treadmill will work. The faster the better. Just start small and work down the rest times and work up the speed and incline. You are still perfectly capable of totally kicking your own ass without a hill.
    Currently logging: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/236161-dymethazine-4-ad.html
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

for safety reasons during winter can I use an elyptical or a rowing machine for indoor sprints

also is hill climber sprints good,

I try to sprint in summer only 50 m than I jog backwards (meaning run with my back facing direction I run to) to the start line and sprint again usually 10 sets.

I am no fast mofo so I would not call that sprints just fast jog I guess but I try as hard as I can :)
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

Guess it really depends what your after tbh!

Facts are to truly activate fast twitch fibres and get a good cut look your gonna need to work at that max effort.

But for good cardio conditioning, weight loss, and general fitness, then working intervals is the way to go. I would o the same session on a xtrainer as the treadmill 30/30s etc

But.... Your not gonna get the benefits that is discussed by "only" doing these sessions, as I said earlier one of each a week for best results of both worlds

Haha none of the sessions highlighted are near the sessions I give my group or myself just a closer step then that which was "suggested" in the article
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

ok say I want to really activate fast twitch and not really able to sprint most of the year,

what can I do kettle bell sessions??

any other ideas like boxing?
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  77k lbs.
    Answers

Ok if your looking at only fast twitch activation per se!

It's a recruitment principle. From a weight training aspect... Your looking at going mega heavy however, to get true activation I would do 3sets 3reps but!...... A primer set to fatigue of around 60%1rm then wait 4-5min. The fatigue kicks out the slow twitch then the fast twitch will work due to the "struggle" of going heavy etc.

Either that (heavy) or the other end of the force curve so power! In reality the power level when lifting weights your talking 30-40% which lets be honest no one wants to o to the gym and lift that, right? Lol

So this where your other aspects come into it! Boxing is awesome for upper body power and also cardio development. I like a seriously hard session which is super fast but..... Will kill you!!

In most gyms with bags they will have the clock, which is 2min round with 1min recovery. Flip it so your boxing hard and fast for one min and skipping (jump rope) for two minutes nice and easy with 2 10second bursts of fast high knee. Repeat four times.
    Will work your fast twitch and anaerobic brilliantly.

Or just nice and simple is a jump rope session itself. 10seconds fast high knees followed by 50sec nice and easy repeat at least 6 times. Easy indoor session.

As for kettle bells there a convo to them selves. For instance I have two both 35kg (don't use both at once lol) kettle bell swings are good but not for the reason most people spout! The eccentric portion of the swing (through your legs, when you have to resist the weight) is the sweet spot for sprint training (eccentric action actually works fast twitch a lot! And I mean a lot! )

Sorry if that's all over the place it's near 11here in the uk and I just returned from training.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Type of Cardio on PH/AAS Cycle?
    By juice3320 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
  2. best form of calcium
    By brock17cf in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
  3. Best Form of DHEA
    By MaDmaN in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine