Article: Should Obesity Be Stigmatized?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    The Press's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,216
    Rep Power
    3059

    Article: Should Obesity Be Stigmatized?



  2. Registered User
    TexasGuy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    188233

    It certainly shouldn't be swept under the politically correct rug. If we are worried about health care costs now give it a generation.

    Not to mention "eye candy" is almost an extinct phrase in the general public. Boulevard cruising at the beach just isn't what it used to be, more like a whale watch tour.
  3. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Shaming people into leading a healthier lifestyle isn't the correct path either.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    rabz's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    8675

    Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Shaming people into leading a healthier lifestyle isn't the correct path either.
    What's the difference in shaming people into not being a fat, lazy drain on the healthcare system and shamim them into not smoking themselves to death? I hate anti-smoking ads. I hate anti booze ads commercials. That said I don't smoke and do drink but its none of anyone's business whether I do or not and for society to try and say fat is beautiful and okay is absurd when they pound that crap down smokers necks. I'm not the pinnacle of health but I will say the media picking and choosing who gets picked on for what is total bs. If they want to whine about people being fat and truly want to see the health of citizens improve, then a anti fatass campaign would at least make the 5th trip to the buffet weigh a little heavier on the lard asses minds.
    Hustle harder
  5. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    dont let obesity get sucked into the PC trail, its just as dangerous as smoking, benge drinking, and drug abuse! we stigmatize methheads, smokers, and drunks; why not add the obese to the mix.
  6. Registered User
    Oscar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    195160

    not to mention it being a national security issue, we get invaded who's gonna fight back when half of America cant climb a flight of stairs without needing to catch their breath
  7. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    It's definitely a matter of national security. I mean fat people should be able to form a human shield in case anything goes down. The fat Avengers.
  8. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    southpaw? you agree??! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  9. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    southpaw? you agree??! lol
    No. Lol. I agree that it needs to be addressed but I disagree with the approach promoted here.
  10. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    i dont see the problem with it. everybody has the right to do with their bodies as they seem fit but if theyre gonna ride the dole-wagon and be on govt healthcare, then we the people that are paying for it should be able to stigmatize them in anyway we like.

    stigmas arent bad, theyre true. People know that smoking is bad just like they know being fat is bad. You can blame it on genetics or daddy issue or whateverthefuhck you want, but the truth remains the same.

    eventually, if its stigmatized and sterotyped, obese people will want to stop being the subject of commercials and being socially taboo and theyll do something about it, much like smokers today.

    are there still alot of smokers, sure. is that gonna change? i really dont care. but the point is since its been made a stigma less and less people are smoking because they dont wanna fall under that sterotype. The same thing will befall the fattys
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  11. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    We should also stigmatize while we're at it, people who possess limited education. They graduate high school go into low paying jobs, offer very little back in the form of taxes, offer the most complaints, thinks everyone is out to get them and that their victims. These kinds of people aren't offering anything back either except a ton of uninformed opinions. Oh wait, that was offensive.
  12. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    Nice idea. Let's take a growing handful of people who already eat too much, and get them guilt ridden... a trigger for most obese people to eat.
  13. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    ^^^Exactly.
  14. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    We should also stigmatize while we're at it, people who possess limited education. They graduate high school go into low paying jobs, offer very little back in the form of taxes, offer the most complaints, thinks everyone is out to get them and that their victims. These kinds of people aren't offering anything back either except a ton of uninformed opinions. Oh wait, that was offensive.
    already happening! ever seen jersey shore or buckwild or honeybooboo?? and theres nothing offensive about the truth. its just the truth, like it or not. and it should be more stigmatized than it already is.

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Nice idea. Let's take a growing handful of people who already eat too much, and get them guilt ridden... a trigger for most obese people to eat.
    and smokers to smoke and junkies to get a fix?? whats your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  15. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    already happening! ever seen jersey shore or buckwild or honeybooboo?? and theres nothing offensive about the truth. its just the truth, like it or not. and it should be more stigmatized than it already is.



    and smokers to smoke and junkies to get a fix?? whats your point?
    His point is a rather easy one to comprehend, for many people with weight problems, it's an issue of addiction. Now looking at it from that standpoint, addicts have triggers, i.e. trauma etc. Making fun of someone, or shaming them into better eating habits simply does not work. It only serves as a trigger for them to exacerbate the behavior.
  16. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    What are you talking about MAN?

    I was a smoker at once, and even with the stigma, i was never guilt ridden into going to smoke.

    You are trying to compare apples to refrigerators here.

    What you are attempting to equate is physical addiction to an external drug. And comparing it to an emotional addiction to nourishment.

    If you play that, might as well go to the batters box with a hockey stick... about as useful.
  17. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    What are you talking about MAN?

    I was a smoker at once, and even with the stigma, i was never guilt ridden into going to smoke.

    You are trying to compare apples to refrigerators here.

    What you are attempting to equate is physical addiction to an external drug. And comparing it to an emotional addiction to nourishment.

    If you play that, might as well go to the batters box with a hockey stick... about as useful.
    lol love the baseball analogy and i see your point,

    stigmas and guilt dont work for everyone but it does work for a lot of people. and whether or not its an emotional issue or a physical issue is irrelevant. Theres plenty of junkies that are out there that are junkies cause of daddy issues, as there are plenty of bulemics and anorexics.

    Im not saying that its the end all be all solution, but it seems to work to an extent. At the very least it makes people think about and internalize their issues and could provoke them to get help.

    another thing is a stigma isnt poking fun of or demonizing, its pointing out consistencies in a given demographic. you can easily equate stigma with stereotype...no body likes those words becuase they can also be interchanged with "truth" 80% of the time.

    stigmas can be pointed out without blatant making fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  18. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    lol love the baseball analogy and i see your point,

    stigmas and guilt dont work for everyone but it does work for a lot of people. and whether or not its an emotional issue or a physical issue is irrelevant. Theres plenty of junkies that are out there that are junkies cause of daddy issues, as there are plenty of bulemics and anorexics.

    Im not saying that its the end all be all solution, but it seems to work to an extent. At the very least it makes people think about and internalize their issues and could provoke them to get help.

    another thing is a stigma isnt poking fun of or demonizing, its pointing out consistencies in a given demographic. you can easily equate stigma with stereotype...no body likes those words becuase they can also be interchanged with "truth" 80% of the time.

    stigmas can be pointed out without blatant making fun.
    "but it does work for a lot of people."....Who does it work for? Lol.

    Stereotypes for the most part often hold some truth, but that is not the issue here. The issue here is one of addiction and the triggers involved in that addiction. Shame is a trigger, pain is a trigger, so by those triggers, you'll only end up making the problem worse. Has making fun of drug addicts/shaming them, solved the drug addiction problem?
  19. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    I was a smoker at once, and even with the stigma, i was never guilt ridden into going to smoke.
    you might not have but some people are. I know alot of people that are smokers and use it as a coping mechanism, my brother is one of them. If he feels guilty about ANYTHING, he starts to chain smoke.

    people are indviduals, and not everybody has the same way of dealing with their issues.
    but with issues like smoking and obesity, the health risks involved are always common denominators.

    smokers always have to worry about lung cancer, stroke, heart disease and other disease.
    the obese and overweight have to worry about renal failure, hepatic failure, heart disease, heart attack, stroke, and a slew of other conditions. it doesnt matter why they eat or why they smoke, the risks are the same
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  20. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    "but it does work for a lot of people."....Who does it work for? Lol.
    worked for me
    worked for jarrod from subway
    works for just about every contestant on the biggest loser
    seems to have worked for more than half my clients

    so yeah...it works
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  21. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    worked for me
    worked for jarrod from subway
    works for just about every contestant on the biggest loser
    seems to have worked for more than half my clients

    so yeah...it works
    Lol@ Jarrod from Subway :/ A reality show man? really? That's the example you wanna use? They get paid to be on that show,it's an incentive coupled with the fact that no money comes out of their own pockets.
  22. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Lol@ Jarrod from Subway :/ A reality show man? really? That's the example you wanna use? They get paid to be on that show,it's an incentive coupled with the fact that no money comes out of their own pockets.
    jarrod said it not me,
    they dont get paid unless they win something
    and then explain me or my clients? to say it doesnt work period is ignorant and you know it! your better than that southpaw cmon
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    You want to attempt to fix a very complex problem with a simple solution of labeling someone.

    Where does it exactly end? Considering there is new research everyday showing a strong genetic link for obesity. Do they get stigmatized? Lumped in right along with the person who just cannot put down the fork?

    I don't claim to have any answers to this problem, but I do know when making people feel bad just to make them feel bad is a terrible idea.
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    And let's really not get this twisted. The public has already attached a stigma to the obese.

    Hasn't exactly resolved our issues has it?
  25. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    jarrod said it not me,
    they dont get paid unless they win something
    and then explain me or my clients? to say it doesnt work period is ignorant and you know it! your better than that southpaw cmon
    Lol. Your clients come to you after they decide for "themselves." There is difference between being internally motivated versus being exposed to external shame which is a trigger for these individuals. And in regards to these individuals not being paid that is wrong, they are offered free services that normally carry a cost, in exchange for being on the show.
  26. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    You want to attempt to fix a very complex problem with a simple solution of labeling someone.

    Where does it exactly end? Considering there is new research everyday showing a strong genetic link for obesity. Do they get stigmatized? Lumped in right along with the person who just cannot put down the fork?

    I don't claim to have any answers to this problem, but I do know when making people feel bad just to make them feel bad is a terrible idea.
    you cant blame genetics on everything! i hate that! just because they store fat easier becuase they lack a deleted section next to a telomere isnt an excuse to be unhealthy. they might not ever be a fitness model but they can still be a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle so that argument is out.

    and i prefaced some of my original comments by saying this isnt the cure or the fix to obesity, but it most certainly will help.

    and who said you have to make them feel bad!! your associating stigmas with making fun and thats not the case, theres also a hypersenstivity problem and a PC problem in this country which is also contributing to the problem. the truth hurts sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  27. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    you cant blame genetics on everything! i hate that! just because they store fat easier becuase they lack a deleted section next to a telomere isnt an excuse to be unhealthy. they might not ever be a fitness model but they can still be a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle so that argument is out.

    and i prefaced some of my original comments by saying this isnt the cure or the fix to obesity, but it most certainly will help.

    and who said you have to make them feel bad!! your associating stigmas with making fun and thats not the case, theres also a hypersenstivity problem and a PC problem in this country which is also contributing to the problem. the truth hurts sometimes
    What is your definition of "stigma" and how would you go about applying to this segment of the population?
  28. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Lol. Your clients come to you after they decide for "themselves." There is difference between being internally motivated versus being exposed to external shame which is a trigger for these individuals. And in regards to these individuals not being paid that is wrong, they are offered free services that normally carry a cost, in exchange for being on the show.
    so my clients coming to me saying "i wanna be healthier because im embarrased by my weight and size" or "i feel like a terrible father/mother because im setting a horrible example for my child" or "i need to lose weight because a 3 yearold pointed out that i was fat in burger king the other day" isnt external exposure to shame? it took these external triggers for them to realize they have a problem and to get help.

    and a free service doesnt equate to being paid because the contestants are still making a financial sacrafice by leaving their jobs, which they are not paid. so there is an invested interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  29. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    discontent with a person on socially characteristic grounds that are perceived or applied, and serve to distinguish them, from other members of a society because of their traits outward or inward

    Erving Goffman was a sociologist that wrote a few books about stigmas and stereotypes and the dangers and advantages asocitated with them. look into them it can be a real insight to things like this
    his defination is 'the process by which the reaction of others, spoils normal identity'

    he then further explains how theres three distinct types of stigmas which are....
    1.Overt or external deformations, such as scars, physical manifestations of anorexia nervosa, leprosy (leprosy stigma), or of a physical disability or social disability, such as obesity.
    2.Deviations in personal traits, including mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and criminal background are stigmatized in this way.
    3."Tribal stigmas" are traits, imagined or real, of ethnic group, nationality, or of religion that is deemed to be a deviation from the prevailing normative ethnicity, nationality or religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  30. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    you cant blame genetics on everything! i hate that! just because they store fat easier becuase they lack a deleted section next to a telomere isnt an excuse to be unhealthy. they might not ever be a fitness model but they can still be a healthy weight and live a healthy lifestyle so that argument is out.

    and i prefaced some of my original comments by saying this isnt the cure or the fix to obesity, but it most certainly will help.

    and who said you have to make them feel bad!! your associating stigmas with making fun and thats not the case, theres also a hypersenstivity problem and a PC problem in this country which is also contributing to the problem. the truth hurts sometimes
    Absolutely that argument is not out.

    People here tell the skinny hardgainer to juice on up to get past their genetics... WTF.. cant have it both ways.

    What do you think stigma's are? No one is hypersensitive, since grade school, who do you think got picked on the most and called names? How much so called truth has helped our youth? Personally I kinda get tired of the "Fat Ass" narrative and offer help to the people that want it. You aren't gonna shame someone into putting down the fork.
    The Historic PES Legend
  31. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    so my clients coming to me saying "i wanna be healthier because im embarrased by my weight and size" or "i feel like a terrible father/mother because im setting a horrible example for my child" or "i need to lose weight because a 3 yearold pointed out that i was fat in burger king the other day" isnt external exposure to shame? it took these external triggers for them to realize they have a problem and to get help.

    and a free service doesnt equate to being paid because the contestants are still making a financial sacrafice by leaving their jobs, which they are not paid. so there is an invested interest.
    Wrong, do some research. The contestants are given a weekly stipend up to 900 a week, in addition to covering food costs. All airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, etc., for the contestants and potential cast members are taken care of by NBC, and during the casting process itself there was a $50 per diem to cover food costs. In addition to providing free training = all of which have monetary value.
  32. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    discontent with a person on socially characteristic grounds that are perceived or applied, and serve to distinguish them, from other members of a society because of their traits outward or inward

    Erving Goffman was a sociologist that wrote a few books about stigmas and stereotypes and the dangers and advantages asocitated with them. look into them it can be a real insight to things like this
    his defination is 'the process by which the reaction of others, spoils normal identity'

    he then further explains how theres three distinct types of stigmas which are....
    1.Overt or external deformations, such as scars, physical manifestations of anorexia nervosa, leprosy (leprosy stigma), or of a physical disability or social disability, such as obesity.
    2.Deviations in personal traits, including mental illness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and criminal background are stigmatized in this way.
    3."Tribal stigmas" are traits, imagined or real, of ethnic group, nationality, or of religion that is deemed to be a deviation from the prevailing normative ethnicity, nationality or religion.
    Look, I respect your posts. But I have a difficult time understanding them. You gotta learn how to string together a proper sentence and correct the numerous grammar and spelling errors in your posts. (I hope you get what I just did)
  33. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Absolutely that argument is not out.

    People here tell the skinny hardgainer to juice on up to get past their genetics... WTF.. cant have it both ways.

    What do you think stigma's are? No one is hypersensitive, since grade school, who do you think got picked on the most and called names? How much so called truth has helped our youth? Personally I kinda get tired of the "Fat Ass" narrative and offer help to the people that want it. You aren't gonna shame someone into putting down the fork.
    people use genetics as crutch far too often and its irritating. im not one that advocates juicing to surpass genetic plateaus. i advocate juice for those who wanna juice.

    and i do offer help to those who need it! i dont go around calling people fatass or making fun but the truth is out there. fat people arent always aware of the dangers associated with obesity, and if it takes a PR campaign to make somepeople have a "come to jesus" moment about their health by all means lets give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  34. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    Wrong, do some research. The contestants are given a weekly stipend up to 900 a week, in addition to covering food costs. All airplane tickets, hotel accommodations, etc., for the contestants and potential cast members are taken care of by NBC, and during the casting process itself there was a $50 per diem to cover food costs. In addition to providing free training = all of which have monetary value.
    still at the risk of losing their jobs, most employers frown upon missing months of work at a time on a voluntary basis.
    and I know that I'm absolutely horrendous at spelling and typing. My mind works way faster than both my fingers and my mouth and it gets me in a pickle. my dissertation has been a nightmare and thank heaven for spell check and english undergrads.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  35. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    people use genetics as crutch far too often and its irritating. im not one that advocates juicing to surpass genetic plateaus. i advocate juice for those who wanna juice.

    and i do offer help to those who need it! i dont go around calling people fatass or making fun but the truth is out there. fat people arent always aware of the dangers associated with obesity, and if it takes a PR campaign to make somepeople have a "come to jesus" moment about their health by all means lets give it a shot.
    That's right.

    Get over your cleft lip already kid.
    The Historic PES Legend
  36. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    That's right.

    Get over your cleft lip already kid.
    talkin to me about apples and oranges? cleft lip and obesisty? really? so your advocating that a genetic disposition is the same as a genetic deformity or mutation? really?? REALLY!!??

    so because i have a genetic disposition to prostate cancer because im a carrier for the gene means i should just roll over and accept the fact that im gonna die cause my grandpa had it and my dads got BPH? gimme a break
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  37. Registered User
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hattiesburg
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    450169

    and just so you know...its not a cleft lip its cleft palate not saying that i know a whole lot about genetic disorders...but i did write my masters thesis on cervical and breast cancer...soo yeah....

    lets not get petty though
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  38. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    talkin to me about apples and oranges? cleft lip and obesisty? really? so your advocating that a genetic disposition is the same as a genetic deformity or mutation? really?? REALLY!!??

    so because i have a genetic disposition to prostate cancer because im a carrier for the gene means i should just roll over and accept the fact that im gonna die cause my grandpa had it and my dads got BPH? gimme a break
    Hello Pot.

    I only utilized such an analogy because you felt the need to do so in the last debate thread. Using an extreme example.

    Your inability to view the entire issue though is a bit reprehensible. You are putting a band aid over a bullet wound. To say the increasing science coming to light on genetic mutations has no bearing, and to just get over it, is ignorant to the issue at hand. We are just starting to scratch the genetic surface on all research too.

    Ironically I wasn't even using that as a main arguement topic... I just asked if they are lumped in the same group. You went on a crusade about using it as a crutch. You never answered me though... do you think people like this want to be fat? They just say, I'm genetically screwed, so might as well keep going?

    A complex problem has no easy solution.
    The Historic PES Legend
  39. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    and just so you know...its not a cleft lip its cleft palate not saying that i know a whole lot about genetic disorders...but i did write my masters thesis on cervical and breast cancer...soo yeah....

    lets not get petty though
    Two different things. Cleft lip and palate are separate, but often are seen together, but not always.
    The Historic PES Legend
  40. Registered User
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387262

    Originally Posted by MANotaur View Post
    and just so you know...its not a cleft lip its cleft palate not saying that i know a whole lot about genetic disorders...but i did write my masters thesis on cervical and breast cancer...soo yeah....

    lets not get petty though
    Which is astonishing because you write like a drunk person talks at 3 in the morning. I kid! :)
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Should we be shaming obese children more?
    By CNizz in forum General Chat
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 12:14 PM
  3. Should we be stocking up on Nolva/Clomid?
    By DieTrying in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 03:20 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 04:04 PM
  5. Should nolva be refrigerated?
    By Bennett in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in