Article: Work Lower Body Flexibility For Better Squats

1. Registered User

Article: Work Lower Body Flexibility For Better Squats

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

Too bad more studies are coming out showing how ineffective (and potentially harmful) stretching is for the majority of athletes and lifters.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  164 lbs.

Too bad more studies are coming out showing how ineffective (and potentially harmful) stretching is for the majority of athletes and lifters.
    I submit that the value of a specific cure depends greatly on one's particular affliction.

I am an older guy who stopped lifting for half a year while recovering from major orthopedic injuries to both feet and one knee. I do not need a medical card to get through the metal scanner at the airport but neither will I allow either extremity near an NMR magnet.

In the years since then, I have been unable to return my calves to their previous size or to even half of their previous strength. I do not have anywhere near my previous range-of-motion on any lower-body exercise and have some residual issues with single-leg balance.

The balance issue eliminated many exercises and the limited range-of-motion both damaged my form and also limited the growth potential from any level of training volume.

After years of applying greater volume to a limited number of exercises over a limited range of motion, I plateaued with mostly top and not much bottom.

I have recently chosen to greatly reduce my loads concentrating more on flexibility, range-of-motion and balance. It may be months before I can ramp up my lower-body loads again and would certainly phase out the stretches as I do so.

One can agree with mountainman33 about the danger of combining pre-stretches with maximal lifts while also agreeing with Matt Biss in the context of sub-maximal loads or aerobics.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  200 lbs.

The author is talking about pairing it with smfr and other things. This is honestly a great article.

If you don't think the static stretches work for you do the other things he talks about,

Anyone and everyone can use more mobility work.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
  2. My Quest for 500 Squat
    By BeastMode in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-15-2005, 03:37 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 06:40 PM
  4. proof that you can build a disproportionate upper to lower body
    By OmarJackson in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17