Article: Deadlift Tips

1. Registered User

Article: Deadlift Tips

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  197 lbs.

Great tips, but what about breathing technique? The last pull in that video it looked like the bro's head was going to explode!
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Yeah, I like all the tips, especially lead with the chest!, but second the breathing comment! Dudes head looked like a tomato! Either way, good lift!
    Also, do you see any benefits to a sumo DL over a standard DL? I don't sumo very often, always feel off balance, and not as strong
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.

Originally Posted by Boatcop1 View Post
    Great tips, but what about breathing technique? The last pull in that video it looked like the bro's head was going to explode!
    It's not necessarily mandatory, but most powerlifters hold their air during a lift to stay tighter. Core stability and thus energy transfer are greatly improved with the lungs locked and loaded. Benching like this is really what's tough to master.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Originally Posted by Hyde View Post

It's not necessarily mandatory, but most powerlifters hold their air during a lift to stay tighter. Core stability and thus energy transfer are greatly improved with the lungs locked and loaded. Benching like this is really what's tough to master.
    I can't agree with this one man. Yeah it seems to feel more stable and strong while holding it in, but it just seems too risky and against what all training says. Any time I have a really good lift, my breathing is perfect, not held. Maybe you mean to make sure your breath is timed just right for the exertion phase of the lift....at least that what I'm hoping u meant!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

This helped a lot. I really tried to start dialing this lift in and I got some great tips visually of what should be happening.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.

Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    I can't agree with this one man. Yeah it seems to feel more stable and strong while holding it in, but it just seems too risky and against what all training says. Any time I have a really good lift, my breathing is perfect, not held. Maybe you mean to make sure your breath is timed just right for the exertion phase of the lift....at least that what I'm hoping u meant!
    I mean the whole lift. It's not remotely conducive to bodybuilding; Take your air, squat down, come up, breath out, take air again, repeat. Deadlift you don't breath out til you're locked out at the top of the rep, and bench is often done holding it from the time you unrack until you lock out. There are tons of guys who don't do this and even shout, but there are guys who hold their breath too. Where do you get this 'what all training says'? It's just one school of thought on breathing. It is probably better for you to breath through a lift, but there are a lot of guys who would disagree with you that it doesn't make you tighter, myself included.

If you don't like it I wouldn't mess with it, but there are a lot of people that take this approach to a powerlift.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  197 lbs.

Ok I can honestly see both schools of thought on this. Personaly I breath but the more I think about it, I do load my lungs up just prior to the pull. However I start a slight exhale at the halfway point until lockout. Depending on how I'm lifting I may mix it up. I have a tendency to make a slight grunt (blip) on the way up and I have always used it when repping heavy (seems to help).

For a 1RM or PR pull I think we have all been there where your mid pull and stalled, you let out a grunt (breath) and low and behold you complete the pull.

I guess as long as your form is good you have nothing to worry about.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.

Definitely the most important thing. You can hold your breath til you pass out but if you break form bad it's over. Sometimes a good grunt helps you feel more savage and put your big boy pants on to finish the lift, definitely.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Big air into the belly and holding is just another way of maintaining tightness. Most people don't know how to breathe for a 1RM and it becomes even more important in gear.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  176 lbs.

For all the guys doubting his breathing technique search valsalva on google...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift tips?
    By oogaly_boogal in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 10:14 PM
  2. Deadlift form tip
    By McCoy1989 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Gerrit Badenhorst Deadlift tips
    By Future in forum Powerlifting/Strongman